• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Manga Discussion/News Thread!! New Ch/Vols! - SEE FIRST POST FOR RULES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steroyd

Yeah just re-read the Banaro island chapter, if he gets hit while his power is switched on he takes more damage.

I can easily see Kizaru owning him big time though, "i'm sniping you with my lazors" *pew* *pew*, he needs to be holding the DF user to leech off their powers, that's going right into Luffy's playing field.

Combine

Banned
There's a Naruto 2010 calendar out. http://mangahelpers.com/downloads/details/75404

It's not drawn by Kishi, but apparently all the pictures were worked on by Hirofumi Suzuki (or at least overseen by him) with another artist. Some of them aren't so hot, but I like this one:
2zxsi05.jpg

Combine said:
There's a Naruto 2010 calendar out. http://mangahelpers.com/downloads/details/75404

It's not drawn by Kishi, but apparently all the pictures were worked on by Hirofumi Suzuki (or at least overseen by him) with another artist. Some of them aren't so hot, but I like this one:
2zxsi05.jpg

Do you know if Tetsuya Nishio is in there?, hes the other character designer of naruto along with Suzuki.
Fun fact: the art style Kishi uses now is directly influenced by Nishio and Suzuki, He thanks them for designing the characters in the anime any chance he gets.

Steroyd said:
I think it's been somewhat discussed before, but doesn't BB take extra daamage from attacks due to the nature of his fruit? Made a bigger deal than most from getting hit by WB's weapon.
His gravity powers pull you toward him so the speed of hitting him is increased by his own personal gravity.

Combine

Banned
mysticwhip said:
Do you know if Tetsuya Nishio is in there?, hes the other character designer of naruto along with Suzuki.
Fun fact: the art style Kishi uses now is directly influenced by Nishio and Suzuki, He thanks them for designing the characters in the anime any chance he gets.
The only other artists mentioned were Keiko Shimizu, Hiroyuki Yamashita and Yu Yamashita (The first two are two of their key animators, most recently they were credited on the last OP)

Combine said:
The only other artists mentioned were Keiko Shimizu, Hiroyuki Yamashita and Yu Yamashita (The first two are two of their key animators, most recently they were credited on the last OP)

Shame, I like the Sasuke and Deidara one though Sasuke looks like a shemale.

bjork

josephdebono said:
Well BB killed Thatch in order to get the DF so that's pretty much self explanatory. Also, Shanks has had the scar for ages, (it was his flag when Luffy was a kid,) and the DF was a recent event so that pretty much proves that as well.

Sauce: http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/434/12/

Ah, I forgot about the Thatch bit. But with Shanks, maybe that happened before Shanks was really powerful? Shanks doesn't have the scratches when they show him on Roger's ship, but then he does in chapter 1. A lot of things could've happened between those two points.

dinazimmerman

Incurious Bastard
bjork said:
Ah, I forgot about the Thatch bit. But with Shanks, maybe that happened before Shanks was really powerful? Shanks doesn't have the scratches when they show him on Roger's ship, but then he does in chapter 1. A lot of things could've happened between those two points.

I'm thinking Shanks might have gotten the scars while on Roger's ship in one of the Pirate King's many fights against Whitebeard. Blackbeard was already in Whitebeard's crew before Roger died, this last chapter revealed that.

bjork

Goya said:
I'm thinking Shanks might have gotten the scars while on Roger's ship in one of the Pirate King's many fights against Whitebeard. Blackbeard was already in Whitebeard's crew before Roger died, this last chapter revealed that.

Ah, good point.

exarkun

Kreed said:
Gantz:

The Gantz balls being used by players was definitely a surprise. Now I wonder why no one attempted to do that before and free themselves from the game?

But since these guys have control of the Gantz balls, why are they only using them to send Kurono and others into the enemy camp? Why not produce some more weapons for them to fight with? Or bring back some of the dead players locked into Gantz' memory as additional troops, among other things? Eh well, I'm looking forward ot this battle and seeing what two Kurono's can do/who else shows up.

When they made the rebellious peoples heads explode it looked like they were still figuring out how to do it. I say this since that guy was clearly working on the computer the entire time Im assuming to do everything they said they could (transport them there, transport them to the battlefield, and kill those people). Tbh, they don't seem to be able to break the rules of Gantz (getting to a hundred to get weapons and extra lives) since they said they needed them to come back alive. They can now just act as Gantz itself.

I think.

Gantz - Things should be getting a lot more interesting now that Gantz is now controlled by people. I'm guessing they can't just randomly give out weapons to people, but if the survivors came back, I'm betting that they can "assign" points to them, and thus give them weapons that way or something. Shit's about to get real on this mission.

bjork

Jojo SBR - I think I may just have to wait until this is done and reread from the start. Every time someone comes up and reappears, I forget their power and why they're there.

Bakuman

Was pretty good!
IDK why people keep thinking that Eiji will can this one . . . looks more like they will chose to stop doing it themselves. BUT I could see them asking to stop and someone higher up goes all "FUCK NO! Contract agreement!" and they get all " . . .:'(" and Eiji hears about it and uses his card.

But I wouldn't think that would be likely . . . seems like they know they need to do something different and that Manga isn't big enuff to warrant the higher ups throwing a bitch fit over if they say "Fuck this kiddy gag manga shit, we want to do something else!".

Kreed

Gantz:

exarkun said:
When they made the rebellious peoples heads explode it looked like they were still figuring out how to do it. I say this since that guy was clearly working on the computer the entire time Im assuming to do everything they said they could (transport them there, transport them to the battlefield, and kill those people). Tbh, they don't seem to be able to break the rules of Gantz (getting to a hundred to get weapons and extra lives) since they said they needed them to come back alive. They can now just act as Gantz itself.

I think.

But that wouldn't explain how they were able to make the people's heads explode on command, or pull in various different players who may or may not have been programmed into those specific Gantz balls. If they were following the rules of Gantz/just acting as Gantz then, for example, they couldn't have been able to make those specific people's heads explode since normally the explosive devices only activate when you go outside of a certain radius.

Personally I'm more inclined to believe that the author didn't think about the possibility of them using the Gantz balls for the purpose of "breaking the rules". Either that or the author just decided to ignore the issue. Not that I think they should be able to break those rules, since that would ruin the suspense of this whole battle if everyone could be brought back after death. But it would be nice if the issue was mentioned/brought up.

watervengeance said:
Gantz - Things should be getting a lot more interesting now that Gantz is now controlled by people. I'm guessing they can't just randomly give out weapons to people, but if the survivors came back, I'm betting that they can "assign" points to them, and thus give them weapons that way or something. Shit's about to get real on this mission.

I didn't even think about this. This is another way they could have abused the system to power up before hand. They could have just had random players go on BS missions like sending them into a forest to kill a random target (like a plant/blade of grass) and make the targets worth 100 points each.

ArjanN

Kreed said:
Gantz:

I didn't even think about this. This is another way they could have abused the system to power up before hand. They could have just had random players go on BS missions like sending them into a forest to kill a random target (like a plant/blade of grass) and make the targets worth 100 points each.

I'm not sure why they would even need points then. I think if you control the Gantz ball you'd just get direct access to all the weapons/abilities. The points are just a system to control the players.

Zetman

So I started reading this a few days ago. At chapter 48 now. It really reminds me of Gantz in the sense that seemingly important characters get introduced just to be killed off the same chapter or a few later. Kind of hard to get attached to anyone when you assume they'll be dead soon.

That being said, I'm still enjoying it. At first I didn't like Kouga at all but he's starting to grow on me. I hope the focus shifts back to Jin soon though.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
ArjanN said:
I'm not sure why they would even need points then. I think if you control the Gantz ball you'd just get direct access to all the weapons/abilities. The points are just a system to control the players.
What's stopping them from simply replicating a massive army?

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
One Piece
-So the only big remaining mystery for this arc is Croc's "weakness" that Ivankov mentioned. Additionally, Croc hasn't appeared at all in 6 chapters and was the biggest character to be missing from all the latest reaction shots and such. I wonder what he's up to?

ryan13ts

grandjedi6 said:
One Piece
-So the only big remaining mystery for this arc is Croc's "weakness" that Ivankov mentioned. Additionally, Croc hasn't appeared at all in 6 chapters and was the biggest character to be missing from all the latest reaction shots and such. I wonder what he's up to?

I might be mistaken, but I think Croc revealed his own big secret when he shouted out that he was owned by Whitebeard in the past. The reaction shot from everyone at that statement (including Iva) made me think that this was his "weakness" he was referring to.

http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/563/11/

It's possible I could be wrong, but I'm sure this is what Iva was referring to.

Dresden

I think I'm going to read nothing but shoujo manga for the next week.

My list:

Ouran (loved the anime)
Kaichou wa Maid-sama (dunno, art looks half decent)
Kimi no Todoke

Any more recommendations?

Griffith

Banned
ryan13ts said:
I might be mistaken, but I think Croc revealed his own big secret when he shouted out that he was owned by Whitebeard in the past. The reaction shot from everyone at that statement (including Iva) made me think that this was his "weakness" he was referring to.

I don't know why Crocodile losing to Whitebeard would be a "weakness" and something he'd want to remain secret.

With the way it was written, I always thought it would be funny if the "weakness" that he'd want kept secret is that he used to be female, and was turned male by Iva's hormones.

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
ryan13ts said:

Was his scar ever explained?

Sipowicz

Banned
ryan13ts said:

nah, he said that in prison as well. he was talking to ace and jimbei and he said something like "everyone on level 6 has had their asses kicked by the likes of whitebeard and roger, everyone here wants aa piece of whitebeard". whatever it is it's big

there's a few remaining mysteries. what happened to magellan? what's crocs weakness? where are the supernovas? what did kuma whisper into rayleigh's ear? what were those eyes on thriler bark? why did kuma switch sides to the government?

and last but not least, how the hell is blackbeard going to escape from marineford when he's surrounded by the navy and 5 shichibukai?

flawfuls

Dresden said:

My list:

Ouran (loved the anime)
Kimi no Todoke

Princess is by far the best shoujo manga of all time. It's a fantastic politics/war story with 30+ volumes and an incredibly well planned out story. The art is kinda terrible though. If you don't mind josei Usagi Drop is a great manga about 30 something guy raising a little girl. Fukuyadou Honpo is another great josei about a family that owns a confectionery shop.

Edit: How could I forget Helter Skelter, it's a ridiculous story about a crazy pop idol who is falling from grace and trying to take everyone else down with her. It has one of the best main characters ever. :lol
3013983.png

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Dresden said:

My list:

Ouran
(loved the anime)
Kimi no Todoke

Congrats!

ouran17uf5.gif

Tell me when you are ready to be a man and start venturing into Shounen Ai

Dresden

Think I'll look for Princess first, followed by Nana.

And Kimi Shika Iranai is only ten chapters... will probably tackle that first, then, after I catch up on Ouran.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Dresden said:

My list:

Ouran (loved the anime)
Kimi no Todoke

Skip Beat. Not because its particularly great in of itself but because it'll help give you perspective when you read the other Shoujos. For example, while most shoujo leads are timid shy females, Skip Beat's lead is... different. Be warned though, the plot goes nowhere fast. Its kinda like the Bleach of Shoujos in that regard.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Thoughts on Bakuman.

I love Obata's art in Death Note and Hikaru no Go and I loved it in Bakuman when it started out as well. Seeing him tackle different styles for Crow and Trap and Hideout Door was very impressive.

However, I feel like he's using more and more of those gag faces recently and although they were funny as stylistic quirks, now they're just getting annoying. Not saying that he should use the same style FOREVER but there's already enough variation to keep the art fresh and interesting. I mean, how much manga or anime have so many different cohesive styles? The only one I know of is Maria + Holic, which had chibi mode, shoujo mode and shounen mode, but they were all tongue in cheek.

Whatever.

(I'd kill for a Bakuman artbook with a section dedicated to the various series. Except it'd probably be filled with tanto shit I couldn't give a crap about)

/artsyfartsyrant

Halycon said:
Thoughts on Bakuman.

I love Obata's art in Death Note and Hikaru no Go and I loved it in Bakuman when it started out as well. Seeing him tackle different styles for Crow and Trap and Hideout Door was very impressive.

However, I feel like he's using more and more of those gag faces recently and although they were funny as stylistic quirks, now they're just getting annoying. Not saying that he should use the same style FOREVER but there's already enough variation to keep the art fresh and interesting. I mean, how much manga or anime have so many different cohesive styles? The only one I know of is Maria + Holic, which had chibi mode, shoujo mode and shounen mode, but they were all tongue in cheek.

Whatever.

(I'd kill for a Bakuman artbook with a section dedicated to the various series. Except it'd probably be filled with tanto shit I couldn't give a crap about)

/artsyfartsyrant

HOLY FUCK, I just came in here to post the EXACT same thing you just did.

I think he's doing such simplistic art now because for every manga Takagi and Saiko are making he'll change his style to suit it.

Seeing as they are doing a gag manga he's doing his version of gag manga art compared to the start of Bakuman and were learning about manga, and were doing cult and more serious series he drew more realisticly and in the style we all know & love.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
mysticwhip said:
HOLY FUCK, I just came in here to post the EXACT same thing you just did.

I think he's doing such simplistic art now because for every manga Takagi and Saiko are making.

Seeing as they are doing a gag manga he's doing his version of gag manga art compared to the start of Bakuman and were learning about manga, and were doing cult and more serious series he drew more realisticly and in the style we all know & love.
Yeah I considered that too which is why I'm really looking forward to when Tanto gets canned.

Good riddance.

Bring on the grimdark style that made him famous.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
grandjedi6 said:
Skip Beat. Not because its particularly great in of itself but because it'll help give you perspective when you read the other Shoujos. For example, while most shoujo leads are timid shy females, Skip Beat's lead is... different. Be warned though, the plot goes nowhere fast. Its kinda like the Bleach of Shoujos in that regard.
Why recommend people shit just to get perspective. The standard depth of a shoujo is about one step ahead of a shounen. Unless you really hate the person, might as well recommend Wallflower while your at it also.

Also avoid NANA. I saw you say you are going to read it. Avoid.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Akainu said:
There have been so many goofs I'm not sure he is really missing his hand.
Same, I think they are trying to make it a surprise, but who knows. Maybe his weakness is related to his hook.

Kreed said:
One Piece:

It seems lately the best One Piece chapters are the ones where we get actual story details, even when they are only minor hints. I'm not really sure how I feel about Blackbeard getting almost killed by Whitebeard. On one hand it was a nice surprise and was a nice final "hurrah" for Whitebeard to beat him down like that. Plus it was another way to show Blackbeard's nature in comparison to Whitebeard so it was still a good thing to do. But on the other hand it doesn't help build up Blackbeard in the least, especially when Blackbeard will never get a chance to redeem himself against Whitebeard strength wise, regardless of how much his abilities grow over the series. But considering Whitebeard proved there's no one stronger than him in the world of One Piece in this battle, I guess it doesn't really matter either way.

But this was a fitting end for Whitebeard, although it would have been nice if the Whitebeard pirates had done some real damage to the marines considering they lost their two most important crew members and the only thing the marines lost was a bit of pride. I'm hoping we'll get to see hints of the Level 6 prisoner abilities before the arc ends.

It was never even implied that BB should be able to stand toe to toe with WB, and certainly nothing of his previous actions made it seem like he should...its only the fanboys who believed he was a match. From what has been revealed, he doesn't seem to be admiral level yet...but just like the SH he has acquired a very strong crew. To be honest Im beginning to believe that BB gave shanks the injury in some sneaky and underhanded way...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom