• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official New Super Mario Bros. Wii Thread

OMG Aero

upandaway said:
Well not really, by those descriptions the Penguin can't freeze enemies and neither of them gives friction on ice.
I played the game at the Eurogamer Expo and the suits seemed the exact same to me except the penguin suit lets you slide on your stomach on ice. I'm not sure if there was increased traction on ice but they both shoot ice balls.

CoolS

yes. it's basically a remake of the ds game with forced co-op.

Dabookerman said:
Aww. And I was really going to buy this game. Thanks for the heads up.

Because some people might believe this: This game is NOT a remake of the DS game. It's ALL NEW, new levels, music etc. And it's supposedly much harder than NSMB.

And coop isn't forced, it's an extra and you can play through the game just as fine in singleplayer and see everything. Though Nintendo's marketing campaign will probably focus on people playing this together for obvious reasons.

Maron

CoolS said:
Because some people might believe this: This game is NOT a remake of the DS game. It's ALL NEW, new levels, music etc. And it's supposedly much harder than NSMB.

And coop isn't forced, it's an extra and you can play through the game just as fine in singleplayer and see everything. Though Nintendo's marketing campaign will probably focus on people playing this together for obvious reasons.

I really hope the game doesn't lose a few buyers because of this confusion. It seems some people here really believe the game forces you to play it with 3 computer players in single player mode, which isn't true. The title of the game also implies that it's simply a remake, which also isn't true...It would be a shame if some guys missed out on the game over a couple of lies.

-PXG-

New avatar

ludwidavatar.png

Dr. Chaos

Banned
Always up for another Koopaling revival.

Hopefully a recurring gag develops where they pick on Bowser Jr relentlessly.

What do you think the secret bonus is from getting all the Star Coins?

Somehow, I think it it is extra levels. Maybe even something like the entirety of a Mario game, likely Mario 1.

Something I really want to do is play co-op in Mario 3. Considering the huge airship and tank armadas in the game, it sounds like it'll be really epic playing co-op.

I hope it's extra levels or an old game...

AniHawk

Why would you do that? said:

Somehow, I think it it is extra levels. Maybe even something like the entirety of a Mario game, likely Mario 1.

Something I really want to do is play co-op in Mario 3. Considering the huge airship and tank armadas in the game, it sounds like it'll be really epic playing co-op.

I hope you get a unique code to enter to compete in the Nintendo World Video Game Championships.

Maron

How do we know there will be a bonus for getting all the Star Coins? I already know abou people saying there will be a bonus for completing the game without using the super guide, but I never heard o a Star Coin bonus. Could someone elaborate on who revealed it?

Nabs

don't get your hopes up.

Nabs said:
don't get your hopes up.
Yeah, I know I shouldn't, but oh well. :lol

Also, to answer the above question, it was in an interview. There was a Star Coin bonus in New SMB, but it wasn't all that great. In the interview, they said that this time, the bonus will be better.

Balb

Can't wait for this game to come out.

Sadly, Nintendo has done a bad job of informing people what the game is.

Now we know why older game commercials always had the narrator saying "32 BRAND NEW levels!!!!"

Maron

Yeah, I know I shouldn't, but oh well. :lol

Also, to answer the above question, it was in an interview. There was a Star Coin bonus in New SMB, but it wasn't all that great. In the interview, they said that this time, the bonus will be better.

Ah, I forgot, it was also mentioned in ONM I think. What was the Star Coin bonus for New SMB, again? I beat the whole game a long time ago, so I honestly forgot. As you said, I don't remember it being all that glamorous though. It's nice to know that this time it'll be worth something, so I think I'll try and beat the game on my first run through with star coins.

There are actually parts in the main game styled exactly like World 1-2 from SMB, so thats not a bad theory -- I'm not sure what video I saw that in but I definitely did.

Even if there's only a couple of moments like that though it'll be awesome

Maron said:
Ah, I forgot, it was also mentioned in ONM I think. What was the Star Coin bonus for New SMB, again? I beat the whole game a long time ago, so I honestly forgot. As you said, I don't remember it being all that glamorous though. It's nice to know that this time it'll be worth something, so I think I'll try and beat the game on my first run through with star coins.
I think it was a new background or something. I forgot.

Personally, when I play New SMB Wii, I don't know if I should try to get all of the Star Coins. If I don't, I'll have a great excuse to replay all of the levels.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Heading to Nintendo headquarters to play this today.... woot.

KAL2006

Banned
Nintendo need to start advertising this game soon.

Just have four people playing an old Mario game (SMB1, SMB3, SMW), in a crappy od retro looking room with a CRT TV. One person playing while the other people getting impatient saying "whens my turn", "no this way". Then suddenly the screen goes black and everyone is in a nice modern white room with an LCD TV. And their all having fun playing NSMBW together.

Yea what a cheesy advert, but it does the job :lol

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
The final game? Unrestricted access to all levels? Or a demo?

I believe it will be final, but I'm not entirely sure.

KAL2006 said:
Nintendo need to start advertising this games soon.

They've started it here in Australia, just a 5 second thing with a "New way to play Mario is coming" or something and a brief beat from the NSMB DS theme.

OMG Aero

Maron said:
It was special backgrounds for the menu on the bottom screen and the Toad houses that gave you items never ran out. So yeah, don't keep your hopes up for a good reward for all star coins.

Top Bottom