• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official New Super Mario Bros. Wii Thread

zigg

So I was just watching the beginning of Nintendo Week a few minutes ago. They were playing NSMBW with Miyamoto and Bill Trinen.

The save file they were playing with said "World 9".

Make of this what you will!

upandaway

zigg said:
So I was just watching the beginning of Nintendo Week a few minutes ago. They were playing NSMBW with Miyamoto and Bill Trinen.

The save file they were playing with said "World 9".

Make of this what you will!
They were what now? Anyone got some videos uploaded?

sinxtanx said:
Why isn't this game called "Super Mario Bros. 4" ?

super_mario_world_bros_4_japanese_b.jpg

zigg

upandaway said:
They were what now? Anyone got some videos uploaded?

They didn't actually play World 9, but their save file said "World 9". That is the extent of what I am telling you.

[Nintex]

Someone tweeted this taken from Nintendo Week:
o6z1b8.jpg

Also GTTV this week will be a special Nintendo episode according to Geoff's Twitter.

Kard8p3

I just watched the Nintendo Week NSMBW segment and it was actually pretty good. The two hosts of the show were still somewhat annoying but Miyamoto and Bill were great. The coin challenge mode seems like it could be pretty fun.

zigg

Kard8p3 said:
I just watched the Nintendo Week NSMBW segment and it was actually pretty good. The two hosts of the show were still somewhat annoying but Miyamoto and Bill were great. The coin challenge mode seems like it could be pretty fun.

I thought it was pretty lame as far as gameplay went, myself! That and they should have just subtitled Miyamoto, way to slow the segment down...

thomaser

Zoramon089 said:
There's something about the old artwork that's very charming and is missing from the newer ones...

Most of the old artwork was drawn by a guy who used to work with Miyazaki before he went to Nintendo... I think he was actually Miyazaki's teacher at some point. Will take a heck of a good artist to do better.

Teknoman

thomaser said:
Most of the old artwork was drawn by a guy who used to work with Miyazaki before he went to Nintendo... I think he was actually Miyazaki's teacher at some point. Will take a heck of a good artist to do better.

That and the fact that every piece of art for a Mario game (aside from the rpgs) is usually 3d.

Maron

gimz said:
does anyone else think that kooper kids are gonna be unlockable characters in the game?

like after u beat the whole thing or something

:lol

I'm sorry, but you need to stop getting your hopes up. You're only setting yourself up for disappointment. :lol

Penguin

Kard8p3 said:

The classic Mario stage looked awesome.

This episode is really pushing Mario and looks like will continue next week. While I doubt will be too popular, I hope Nintendo Week is used to push other games.

Notorious_Roy said:
Kamek is a Magikoopa. Magikoopas are from Mario World. Kamek is a Magikoopa in Mario World 2.

That level is a ROM hack someone made, and titled it "Kamek's Castle". The one who made the level likely put Magikoopas in the level.

Edit:
DancingJesus said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYX4UP8ISBk

Those hosts are pretty cringe-worthy.
Woah, it looks like it is recorded in New York City. That's interesting.

It would be funny if I ended up spotting them at Nintendo World somewhere.

radioheadrule83 said:

The hell? I really had no idea SMW was the "actual" SMB4.

One look at the time frame makes it very believable though (and the fact that the airship is in SMW). I really should take a look at some earlier prototypes, because for some reason the suits and stuff from SMB3 were ditched in SMW (even if SMB3 was considered the best selling thing ever at the time).

BowieZ

Banned
Coolio McAwesome said:
Because Super Mario Bros. 4 already exists.

SuperMarioBros4.jpg
Miyamoto's idea for Super Mario Galaxy and spherical 3D planets goes a ways back, it seems. That image is exactly what I imagine/hope for SMG3, only much bigger of course and in 3D.

TreIII

BowieZ said:
Miyamoto's idea for Super Mario Galaxy and spherical 3D planets goes a ways back, it seems.

It wouldn't be the first time we've gotten hints to the kinds of ideas Miyamoto had.

Quote his interview in the Mario Mania guide that Nintendo Power put out many years ago:

Miyamoto said:
...We usually have lots of ideas that we haven't been able to implement yet. A good example is Yoshi the dinosaur who just appeared in Super Mario World. We wanted to have Mario ride a dinosaur ever since we finished the original Super Mario Bros., but it was impossible technically. We were finally able to get Yoshi off the drawing boards with the Super NES.

And I also like this one.

...Who knows how Mario will look in the future. Maybe he'll wear metallic clothes!

:lol

Oh, Miyamoto. Never change!

Jokergrin

Can someone PLEASE explain to me if that FREE HAT is available in North America???

My EBGames knew nothing about free hats when I called!

Blueblur1

The new GameSpot and Game Informer videos are great. By the way, I just went back and checked out old SMB3 and SMW footage of the Koopa Kids boss battles and I was shocked to see them look very different in-game. I didn't remember their appearances being so fugly at all. And their boss battle in SMW are so lacking. They literally designed four different battles and stretched it out to seven. I just fucked with some of my old childhood memories. :lol

Hopefully they'll be more distinct from one another in NSMBWii. So far, they look great so I have high hopes.

BowieZ

Banned
Drkirby said:
I must admit, I laughed with the black bar lifted to show they were right next to each other.
Haha. Yeah, I saw that joke coming -- I actually thought "hey wouldn't it be funny if they were right next to each other?" and then voilá.

Jokergrin said:
Can someone PLEASE explain to me if that FREE HAT is available in North America???

My EBGames knew nothing about free hats when I called!
No. It's only Australia (and NZ?) but there are hats being offered in some other countries as well, not necessarily by EBGames, though.

Blueblur1 said:
The new GameSpot and Game Informer videos are great. By the way, I just went back and checked out old SMB3 and SMW footage of the Koopa Kids boss battles and I was shocked to see them look very different in-game. I didn't remember their appearances being so fugly at all. And their boss battle in SMW are so lacking. They literally designed four different battles and stretched it out to seven. I just fucked with some of my old childhood memories. :lol

Hopefully they'll be more distinct from one another in NSMBWii. So far, they look great so I have high hopes.
The bosses in NSMBDS pretty much all had unique boss stages and attack styles (even Bowser Jr.). Meanwhile, Yoshi's Island still has the most inventive boss battles for a 2D Mario game...

Meanwhile, is Bowser Jr. AWOL?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Aside from (maybe) Harvest Moon, this is the one title I'm picking up on the Wii this winter. Which is good; I have a huge backlog for all systems.

Looking forward to this a lot too. We need more great local co-op titles!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Blueblur1 said:

As opposed to how he designed only one battle and stretched it to seven in Bros. 3?

goldenenergy said:
Oh man, I know! The fact that I can't do this is like the only thing in this game I'm disappointed about. What can I say? Luigi is the man.

Same here, but in that recent IGN video, they showed how you could pick your character for multiplayer. So it's not specifically bound to the controller ports, yet you have to play Mario in 1P?

BowieZ said:
Meanwhile, is Bowser Jr. AWOL?

He's on the top of the cake in the intro. He's the one that laughs as they pass by the Mario Bros. and the Poorly-Named Toad Twins.

BowieZ

Banned
Kulock said:
He's on the top of the cake in the intro. He's the one that laughs as they pass by the Mario Bros. and the Poorly-Named Toad Twins.
I haven't watched that yet. I'm trying to keep generally spoiler-free and avoid watching as much video as possible... but I guess the intro isn't much of a spoiler since it's the first thing we'll see in the game.

But yeah, that makes sense why there'd be 9 worlds.

7 x Koopalings
1 x Bowser Jr.
1 x Bowser.

big_z

kinda wish nintendo would make the world map like it was in SMW instead of the smb3 method they're using. still im excited, more so for this than modern warfare 2.

BowieZ

Banned
Kard8p3 said:
http://wii.ign.com/articles/104/1041356p1.html

There's quite a bit of info about this in the newest IGN Nintendo Voice Chat Podcast. Has some spoilerific stuff as well so don't listen if you don't want to hear it.
Can someone give us the gist of this (or the other) spoilerific videocasts/voicechats, in terms of general impressions, general senses of good and/or bad that don't give away too much about the later worlds, etc.?

BowieZ said:
I haven't watched that yet. I'm trying to keep generally spoiler-free and avoid watching as much video as possible... but I guess the intro isn't much of a spoiler since it's the first thing we'll see in the game.

But yeah, that makes sense why there'd be 9 worlds.

7 x Koopalings
1 x Bowser Jr.
1 x Bowser.
I'm kinda sad that Nintendo weekly of all things spoiled the 9th world.

Oh well. It's kinda funny, since I always equated Mario with 8 worlds and Zelda with 9 levels, so I'm getting Zelda 1 flashbacks.

According to the ONM answered questions,
there are a total of 20 boss fights in the game. In New SMB DS, in the last world, you fight the expected 2 bosses (fortress and castle) and you think is the end. Then a bridge appears and you find a new fortress and castle, making for a total of 4 boss fights in World 8. In New SMB Wii, it'll likely be the same for World 9. Also, note that Kamek is in the game, so maybe...

Kard8p3

BowieZ said:
Can someone give us the gist of this (or the other) spoilerific videocasts/voicechats, in terms of general impressions, general senses of good and/or bad that don't give away too much about the later worlds, etc.?

IGN seems impressed with it overall though they mentioned it probably could have been better if either the gameplay was like the 2D sections of galaxy, or if it were 2D animation.

They also really like the multiplayer aspect because it's something you really can play with the entire family. If less experienced players can't get past a part they can just enter a bubble and let the more experienced players get past the hard stuff. They also echo the sentiments of most sites when it comes to the difficulty.

They did complain about how it felt like Nintendo cut corners when it came to the music, visuals, and character selection but other than that they really liked it.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Hey guys, went out to Nintendo's HQ on Monday and checked this out, review copy is on the way too so I'll have it super early too. Promise videos for all.

Here are my impressions.

tldr; Helllllls yeah

BowieZ

Banned
Kard8p3 said:
They did complain about how it felt like Nintendo cut corners when it came to the music, visuals, and character selection but other than that they really liked it.
:'(

Kard8p3 said:
http://wii.ign.com/articles/104/1041356p1.html

There's quite a bit of info about this in the newest IGN Nintendo Voice Chat Podcast. Has some spoilerific stuff as well so don't listen if you don't want to hear it.
Apparently they have no idea the SMB3 Tanooki suit can be used to completely destroy enemies when attacking from above.

Just finished listening to the IGN podcast. At the end, they have the remixed SMB3 battle music from New SMB Wii. It sounds so great.

Actually, it reminds me of Dr. Mario's Fever theme. However, the bass is great.

VOOK said:
Hey guys, went out to Nintendo's HQ on Monday and checked this out, review copy is on the way too so I'll have it super early too. Promise videos for all.

Here are my impressions.

tldr; Helllllls yeah

Nice preview. Still excited.

Top Bottom