• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official New Super Mario Bros. Wii Thread

batbeg

At the risk of saying something which will make someone get more hyped than they should, what did they mean in that gamespot video about multiplayer modes they couldn't quite show us yet? Were they just referring to the coin battles?

VOOK said:
Hey guys, went out to Nintendo's HQ on Monday and checked this out, review copy is on the way too so I'll have it super early too. Promise videos for all.

Here are my impressions.

tldr; Helllllls yeah

Hellllls yeah.

BowieZ

Banned
batbeg said:
At the risk of saying something which will make someone get more hyped than they should, what did they mean in that gamespot video about multiplayer modes they couldn't quite show us yet? Were they just referring to the coin battles?
There's a
Coin Battle mode and a "Free-for-All" (??)
mode.

HUELEN10

Why would you do that? said:
Just finished listening to the IGN podcast. At the end, they have the remixed SMB3 battle music from New SMB Wii. It sounds so great.

Actually, it reminds me of Dr. Mario's Fever theme. However, the bass is great.
To me, it sounds like the SMB 3 battle music combined with the GCN Mario Kart DD Waluigi Stadium music...

batbeg

BowieZ said:
There's a
Coin Battle mode and a "Free-for-All" (??)
mode.

I can't imagine why they wouldn't be allowed to show the latter though, as it looks the exact same as the normal mode.

BowieZ

Banned
HUELEN10 said:
To me, it sounds like the SMB 3 battle music combined with the GCN Mario Kart DD Waluigi Stadium music...
Well, yeah, those two tunes (with chord progressions) are almost identical... the jazzy mode being basically the same (with the flattened third).

You know, I never thought I'd say it, but I'm coming around on this game. I was an avid hater a while ago, but the more I see, the more I want. The multiplayer still looks rubbish to me, but that's okay because there's no online :lol

Actually the environments look pretty good. The character models are the only things that still make the non-believer in me scream "higher res DS game," but eh. I'll manage if the game turns out to be as challenging as people say. Still skeptical of those people, but who knows.

batbeg

For those who haven't checked out this weeks IGN podcast, they talk a little about the game. They mention some stuff like how there's multiple exits in some levels, the level of challenge, etc.

And if you have 99 lives when you leave a level
Mario takes his hat off. He then plays without his hat until he loses a life.

zigg

batbeg said:
And if you have 99 lives when you leave a level
Mario takes his hat off. He then plays without his hat until he loses a life.

What do
the Toads
do in that case? Freaks me out just thinking about it!

batbeg

zigg said:
What do
the Toads

Well they did say they're unsure if this applies in multiplayer as Peer just discovered it in single-player, but... that would be interesting for sure!

7h1ag0

zigg said:
What do
the Toads

r28gle.png

BowieZ

Banned
[Nintex] said:
Someone tweeted this taken from Nintendo Week:
o6z1b8.jpg

Also GTTV this week will be a special Nintendo episode according to Geoff's Twitter.
:lol @ the fact there's clearly enough room for
a 10th world (which I believe someone above has confirmed anyway)

zigg

BowieZ said:

Wha? I thought World 9 was the big deal here.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
BowieZ said:

I've read nothing about that, and I dont think it will go any further than 9.

zigg

Speaking of which, I bet the reportedly sweet unlockable is World 9. I know I'm wasting my keystrokes here, but please, thread inhabitants, don't get your hopes up for some wacky unlockable like SMB3 remade in the NSMBW engine or something like that.

(Besides, isn't a whole new world, perhaps with Star-World-like challenges, reward enough?)

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
I'm almost certain the reward will be as superficial as the menu skins like NSMB or a different titlescreen. Or even just the fact that you have 5-starred the game.

People expecting massively awesome bonus content as a reward must be lunatics. The best reward ANY Mario game has offered for 100% completion of the main game was Mario Galaxy's Luigi Mode.

CoolS

SovanJedi said:
I'm almost certain the reward will be as superficial as the menu skins like NSMB or a different titlescreen. Or even just the fact that you have 5-starred the game.

People expecting massively awesome bonus content as a reward must be lunatics. The best reward ANY Mario game has offered for 100% completion of the main game was Mario Galaxy's Luigi Mode.

I don't know, I just found out that there is a World 9 and I think that really is pretty awesome.

OMG Aero

SovanJedi said:

Seriously, people are going to be really disappointed if they are expecting new levels. Keep your expectations low like the ability to choose to start a level with any item you want instead of having to collect it. Then you can only be happier at what the unlock is instead of finding out those remakes of old Mario levels you wanted so much turn out to just be a different title screen.

batbeg

Don't worry guys, I just sent the memo to Go*Nintendo. SMB3 remade is awesome news. Pre-ordered two copies!

In the IGN podcast, they said that
there are unlockable "expert videos" where you can see levels being played expertly
. They didn't say how it would be unlocked, but it seems like it might be the thing that ONM said was worthwhile to expert players if you use the Star Coins.

I already did "intend to buy" (N.America here). I guess it's been up for a while?

Wha? I saw it up a while ago but it said "intend to buy between 9/15-10/15" I was like um no, it doen't come out until November, and then they took that down cause it was incorrect, I haven't seen a new one come up though yet?

Apocalyptatron said:
Wha? I saw it up a while ago but it said "intend to buy between 9/15-10/15" I was like um no, it doen't come out until November, and then they took that down cause it was incorrect, I haven't seen a new one come up though yet?

In the Nintendo FAQ: "Remember - you must indicate your intent to buy within the Intend to Buy date range listed for each game to be eligible for the extra Coins." The dates were for when you need to indicate your intent to buy.

batbeg

In the IGN podcast, they said that
there are unlockable "expert videos" where you can see levels being played expertly
. They didn't say how it would be unlocked, but it seems like it might be the thing that ONM said was worthwhile to expert players if you use the Star Coins.

I'm almost positive we've known about this for a while and that the super skills video clips are examples. So if that's the case I'd be kind of annoyed if that's ONM's fun little secret.

Or maybe I imagined we knew that and was unaware of my precognitive abilities.

batbeg

I'd never actually read the ONM Q&A, only the summaries. Now that I have hype+another billion.

I can't think of a single other game that has had such an unbearable wait for me ;.;

batbeg said:
I can't think of a single other game that has had such an unbearable wait for me ;.;
I know! I was so psyched for Galaxy, it was like I was a kid again. I just kept thinking, watching previews and stuff, "It's like they made this game for me!" I don't think I've ever been that pumped for a game.

But with NSMBWii, it's the same feeling only even more so because I generally prefer 2D to 3D and 2D Mario platformers are basically my favorite games ever. The wait for this is absolutely AGONIZING. My wife and I are totally calling in sick to work on the 16th :D

AniHawk

goldenenergy said:
I know! I was so psyched for Galaxy, it was like I was a kid again. I just kept thinking, watching previews and stuff, "It's like they made this game for me!" I don't think I've ever been that pumped for a game.

But with NSMBWii, it's the same feeling only even more so because I generally prefer 2D to 3D and 2D Mario platformers are basically my favorite games ever. The wait for this is absolutely AGONIZING. My wife and I are totally calling in sick to work on the 16th :D

Uh, it comes out on Sunday. The 15th isn't the ship date, it's the street date.

AniHawk said:
Uh, it comes out on Sunday. The 15th isn't the ship date, it's the street date.
Cheez-It said:
Maybe he wants to play it all day on day 2 ;)
Yeah, NO DUH. You think one full day with this game can sate my ravenous fanboy love? HA! Double HA!

Kard8p3 said:
Holy damn, vine swinging like in Jungle King? YESSSS!!!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
-PXG- said:
What is this about SMB3? Someone tell me. I'm confused.
Last unlockable is the WHOLE of SMB3 remade with the NSMB engine.

Of course all the levels have been twisted, split and remixed to become the levels of NSMBWii

-PXG-

BGBW said:
Last unlockable is the WHOLE of SMB3 remade with the NSMB engine.

Of course all the levels have been twisted, split and remixed to become the levels of NSMBWii

Is this a rumor or 100% confirmed?

GWX

Damn, this World 7 vid is awesome. Also happy for the existence of a World 9, can'y wait to see what it's all about.

Top Bottom