• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Phantasy Star Zero Thread (US)

Oh yeah, just hit level 30 and went to play a "free play" game since no gaffers were on as usual* and noticed I could matchmake for Hard games now.

Hollllllly crap. Being babysat by much higher level players was awesome. A cast who actually healed and the items and EXP, oh the items and EXP. *boner*

* regarding no gaffers ever being on. Can't say I really blame them and myself considering you can't hop into a party in progress (as far as I know). No one's going to just turn their DS on and HOPE someone on their friend list comes along unless you arrange it elsewhere first or have a friend code list full of regular players. Oh, if only the room handling stuff was just like in PSO this would be godly. Still pretty awesome, though. I'd always wanted a handheld PSO type game.

Teknoman

I think alot of the college/high school age GAF are probably going to be toning things down online until Thanksgiving holiday/Christmas Break.

I know I probably wont be able to get back into the game (online at least) until tuesday evening.

Wizpig

Count Dookkake said:
Another thing a sequel should have is the ability to duel other players.
No sequel is going to come out, Count =(

http://www.gamereactor.eu/news/2150/Phantasy+Star+Zero/

As you heard, Sakai is looking into a return to consoles for the next Phantasy Star game, which would be celebrating the ten year anniversary of the original Phantasy Star Online's release on Dreamcast.

No more portable Phantasy Stars for the time being.

Teknoman

Wizpig said:
No sequel is going to come out, Count =(

http://www.gamereactor.eu/news/2150/Phantasy+Star+Zero/

No more portable Phantasy Stars for the time being.

I dunno if focusing on consoles would be a bad thing. If anything, they might return to non-subscription based gameplay after seeing the success(?) of PSP,PSZ, and upcoming PSP2.

A PSonline game that truly takes advantage of current gen consoles is something i'd look forward to, similar to Monster Hunter Tri (which I think is supposed to have free online when it hits NA/EU).

Wizpig

Teknoman said:
similar to Monster Hunter Tri (which I think is supposed to have free online when it hits NA/EU).
Yes, but no dedicated servers [which may be a good think, look at Phantasy Star Universe servers... Trimate lag!]

Anyway, they'll probably do some kind of PSU expansion for the anniversary, and we'll have to wait until next-gen consoles for the next Phantasy Star.
Hopefully it's going to be PSO 2.

I love portable gaming, but being an ex-player of PSO GC I also know the joy of having a keyboard and a - more or less - powerful hardware.
So, it's not a bad news at all, but no PS0 episode 2 -> :( :( :(

kiryogi

Banned
Wizpig said:
Yes, but no dedicated servers [which may be a good think, look at Phantasy Star Universe servers... Trimate lag!]

Anyway, they'll probably do some kind of PSU expansion for the anniversary, and we'll have to wait until next-gen consoles for the next Phantasy Star.
Hopefully it's going to be PSO 2.

I love portable gaming, but being an ex-player of PSO GC I also know the joy of having a keyboard and a - more or less - powerful hardware.
So, it's not a bad news at all, but no PS0 episode 2 -> :( :( :(

no thx psonline 3 better be like psp2 but even better and no disk techs! And better not be this stiff combat.

Teknoman

I just hope it takes the best of both worlds. Story told in a way similar to Phantasy Star Online, Combat improvements and whatnot from PSP2/PSzero, a soundtrack in the style of PSO/PSzero, and an art style similar to PSO with color vibrancy to match.

remz

Teknoman said:
I just hope it takes the best of both worlds. Story told in a way similar to Phantasy Star Online, Combat improvements and whatnot from PSP2/PSzero, a soundtrack in the style of PSO/PSzero, and an art style similar to PSO with color vibrancy to match.
Such a game would devour my life.

Didn't mind the design of PSU though, tbh- only problem was alot of the areas used the exact same skin

kiryogi

Banned
Wizpig said:
Ughhh.

No. :D
I don't own PSP2, but i played at least 100 hours in PSU, and i know the basic gameplay of PSO/0 is miles better. <3

No way in hell is this stiff combat better than PSU/PSP. You have options at least in PSU. It's a lot more fluid and you can choose to do timed attacks or not. Meanwhile in PSO/Z you mistime, attack fails. PSO/Z is a step back in terms of combat mechanics. AND interface mechanics. Palette is a must for interchanging equipment and inventory.

jorgeton

Hrm. Story mode is surprisingly short. I'm already at the last dungeon. But the multiplayer mode is pretty great. I wish people would slow their roll though. Inventory management is a necessary evil, so give me the 15 seconds to feed my mag some crap and open up inventory space before you run off to the next room.

In regards to which PS has better combat, I would personally give the edge to Zero because of the dodge roll and the ability to custom map your techniques to buttons.

Related: anyone playing Phantasy Star Portable through the PS3 ad hoc party?

kiryogi

Banned
jorgeton said:
Hrm. Story mode is surprisingly short. I'm already at the last dungeon. But the multiplayer mode is pretty great. I wish people would slow their roll though. Inventory management is a necessary evil, so give me the 15 seconds to feed my mag some crap and open up inventory space before you run off to the next room.

In regards to which PS has better combat, I would personally give the edge to Zero because of the dodge roll and the ability to custom map your techniques to buttons.

Related: anyone playing Phantasy Star Portable through the PS3 ad hoc party?

You can map techs in psu too, unless you mean the overall command pallet. PSP2 features the dodge roll + guard/just guard. So an even further advancement.

NeOak

kiryogi said:
You have options at least in PSU. It's a lot more fluid and you can choose to do timed attacks or not.
If you mean that you can mash your way through the game, yeah, PSU allows that.

PSO and PS0 requires skill at the moment of attacking, something PSU does not.

kiryogi said:
You can map techs in psu too, unless you mean the overall command pallet. PSP2 features the dodge roll + guard/just guard. So an even further advancement.
If you came to boast that PSP2 > PS0, you are trolling in the wrong thread.

kiryogi

Banned
NeOak said:
If you mean that you can mash your way through the game, yeah, PSU allows that.

PSO and PS0 requires skill at the moment of attacking, something PSU does not.

If you came to boast that PSP2 > PS0, you are trolling in the wrong thread.

You could mash but it'd be extremely inefficient, that's where JUST ATTACK comes into play. (And more so now, the chain system) If you played PSU in expansion or in PSP, you'd know that JUST ATTACK is a timing based system. Like I said, there's options, versus not given one at all. I'm not trolling at all, just simply stating my opinion. PSO/PSZ is overall inferior in terms of combat and interface. That said, have you even played PSP2?

NeOak

kiryogi said:
I'm not trolling at all, just simply stating my opinion.
Which is PSP2/PSP/PSU >>>> PSO/PS0.

kiryogi said:
That said, have you even played PSP2?
No, and that is the point. This is a PS0 thread, not a "how PSU/PSP/PSP2 is better than PS0 thread".

I read good things about this game when the japanese version was out, but I never knew it was very close to the classic PSO we all know and love, wow. I am glad that someone out there knows what made PSO fun, unlike PSU.

kiryogi

Banned
NeOak said:
Which is PSP2/PSP/PSU >>>> PSO/PS0.

No, and that is the point. This is a PS0 thread, not a "how PSU/PSP/PSP2 is better than PS0 thread".

No that's not the point. The point here is you just made an ignorant assumption on something you never played. My opinion was simply based upon the earlier bits on Sakai's next PSOnline development, not to hate on PSZ completely and all. I absolutely agree with Tekno's take on it.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
How is the single player? My router uses a security measure that the DS doesn't recognize, so no online(WAP2 or something?).

I love me some PSO, and since the PSP releases aren't on PSN, I'm looking heavilly at this game.

NeOak

kiryogi said:
My opinion was simply based upon the earlier bits on Sakai's next PSOnline development, not to hate on PSZ completely and all.
o rly

kiryogi said:
no thx psonline 3 better be like psp2 but even better and no disk techs! And better not be this stiff combat.
kiryogi said:
No way in hell is this stiff combat better than PSU/PSP.

kiryogi said:
No that's not the point. The point here is you just made an ignorant assumption on something you never played.
I did play PSU and PSP. I won't play PSP2 because, lo and behold!, I don't understand Japanese nor do I have the time to waste on it.
edit: lol i thought it was out :lol

kiryogi

Banned
Brandon F said:
How is the single player? My router uses a security measure that the DS doesn't recognize, so no online(WAP2 or something?).

I love me some PSO, and since the PSP releases aren't on PSN, I'm looking heavilly at this game.

I'm pretty sure you could always just have the IP your DS would interface with in the DMZ. That's what I'm currently doing.

kiryogi

Banned
NeOak said:
o rly

I did play PSU and PSP. I haven't played PSP2 because, lo and behold!, I don't understand Japanese nor do I have the time to waste on it.

So if you played PSP, you never bothered to time your attacks then? :p Because I get the impression you hate on it because there's no skill or timing involved, when there clearly is, but you neglected to use it?

and those comments like I said, refer to Sakai working on whatever PSOnline project he has in mind.

Wizpig

kiryogi, the point here is that half of your posts are "k i'm just going to play some PSP2 i guess" IN PS0 THREADS.
And, well, i HOPE you are talking about the demo and not some other way of getting PSP2 before the official date.

It's not a matter of fanboy wars, even if that "stiff combat" thing does make you look like a PSU fanboy.
I did/do play PSU on the 360 and i know there are Uzi-like weapons that let you do some DPS without skills... and you can keep that button pressed for MINUTES.
And that's mashing your way through the game, even if it's an inefficient way of playing it.
That's the first example I can make, not the best one, but there sure is no timing involved in that.
"Stiff combat lol" made and makes PSO/0 "tidier" than PSU... even if, with Photon Arts now in Zero, I don't know how could you call that combat-system stiff.

PSU will always be the MMO-wannabe PSO, and PSP will always be the portable version of PSU.
Fans of PSO usually don't like that gameplay, so you can't really come in a thread about PSO and start talking about how PSP is superior.
Even if I was the one that did the first mistake, when I started talking about how i hope PSO 2 turns out to be. (and yes, it's PSO 2, not 3... PSU is not PSO 2)

So yeah, I apologize and hopefully after some more replies we can stop talking about this, because like Proven said, this thread is not pleasant right now ;)

NeOak

kiryogi said:
Because I get the impression you hate on it because there's no skill or timing involved, when there clearly is, but you neglected to use it?
Clearly is? Nowhere in PSU/PSP is stated that if you miss there is a penalty unlike PSO/0. And there is no need to because its just to regenerate a larger amount of Photon Points.

But then again, this is a PS0 thread.

kiryogi said:
and those comments like I said, refer to Sakai working on whatever PSOnline project he has in mind.
Then make a PSO2 thread. Not here.

Proven said:
Thanks for making my return read of this thread unpleasant.
avapsp2.png

Ogni-XR21

Wow, I love this game. Kind of seems like the hardware limitations are what somehow improved this game (max. 4 player teams, items are not shared online, small areas that work perfectly as "rooms", ...). I have to admit I do miss the shortcut palette and it's kind of sad that they did not include a way to set some actions/techs to the touchscreen but I made my peace with that.

Finished normal mode yesterday with my lvl 31 Fonewearl, and man it was a tough fight, beat the boss with my last Trifluid in use, I thought I wouldn't make it....

I really wish evade had been mapped to the X button so I could have another open slot on my palette. A camera button is cool and all, but I pretty much just use the R button for that. Worked fine in PSO. I could really use one more slot. Also, I miss the shortcut menu. I know you can get to the weapon equip screen with R+Start, but its not a quick equip screen, just the normal equip screen. If I could cast Shift and Deband (Resta and Anti too) from a shortcut menu like in PSO GC I wouldn't have to waste space on my palette with them.

kiryogi

Banned
Wizpig said:
THANK YOU.

About the game secrets, I just hope we will be able to unlock those super-secret-weapons... like, you know, Samus' beam from Metroid.

On that matter, I want to ask a quick thing to GAFfers with a japanese copy or someone who knows: those secret Nintendo items - or other items for that matter - that you can get from the Password Machine... is that the only way? is it considered "cheating"?
From what I've heard. Theey removed all licensed items like samus' beam or the warp pipe for domestic psz. And yes. Its password machine only. They're meant to be promotional items that ere unveiled with codes from magzines or websites. So no its not cheating .but you have no chance of getting it either unless a jp player gives it to? We'l continue the psu vs pso thing when I get home. I can't highlight text on my g1. Id like to end it too. But if there's misinformation like neoak. Is spreading there. I'm there to clear it up

kiryogi

Banned
NeOak said:
Clearly is? Nowhere in PSU/PSP is stated that if you miss there is a penalty unlike PSO/0. And there is no need to because its just to regenerate a larger amount of Photon Points.

But then again, this is a PS0 thread.

Then make a PSO2 thread. Not here.

avapsp2.png

Alright I'm home! Let's play ball! We weren't ever really talking about penalties now were we? You spoke mainly of it being a lack of skill. But let's be realistic, it's not even that much skill in PSO/Z to get the timing down unlike PSU/PSP's attack animations with Just Attack. That can go into 6 different timed presses to get the proper results. But here's the real deal, Just Attack is not only used to regenerate PP points. You want to Just Attack because it's a guaranteed critical hit, meaning it won't miss and will deal more than 100% damage. (And the PP regeneration point actually really matters in PSP2 with the fixed PP system but anyway) Realistically in the end, both systems aren't don't require that much skill besides hitting it at the right moment when the attack animations end. So get off your high horse already on that.

And yes I realize it's a PS0 thread, but someone earlier mentioned Sakai's PSOnline plans, it wasn't me. I simply followed up on it. But now let's be fair on this hate and all. You PSO fans always seem to come into a PSU/PSP thread to absolutely hate on it and when I do the same thing although in a more proper degree, you guys cry about it? I'm not even looking for a fight, I'm just looking to correct misinformation and misdirected hate that PSU has garnered.

Wizpig: Well maybe I'll be wrong with the upcoming announcement, but PSU is without any doubt the 2nd literation of PSOnline. I refer to it as PSOnline vs PSO in the sense that it describes the entire series itself. When folks mention PSO, they think of the original first entry. When I say PSOnline, I'm talking about the entire concept of Online Phantasy Star. And correction, only one post in this topic states I'd be playing PSP2. Everything else here has been supportive, or corrective posts to clear up ignorance. On combat, the standard attacks are stiff. You don't have as much free flow and control. It just feels really linear and rigid. In PSU/PSP it's really fluid and feels like you are in control of the combat.

Finally had time to start playing the game. Reyburn is... significantly more difficult than the PSO Dragon. Jeez.

Is there an alternative Mag guide somewhere on the internet, since PSO-W seems to be down at the moment?

Daigoro

man, i played so much PSO/PSU, i dunno why i havent had the urge to pick this up yet. probably because i rarely use my DS and there is a ton of other stuff im playing right now.

i should probably get this at some point.

Forkball

I beat the story mode earlier today with my level 27 Humar. The final boss was easier than expected. It dished out a lot of damage and killed my mentally challenged AI teammates, but I had a much tougher time against the first two bosses. And holy god there is a lot of dialogue in this game. I'm pretty pleased with the game, it's something I can pick up and play at any time and quit when I want. Hopefully the community stays strong so online play doesn't become totally obsolete.

sfried

Forkball said:
I beat the story mode earlier today with my level 27 Humar. The final boss was easier than expected. It dished out a lot of damage and killed my mentally challenged AI teammates, but I had a much tougher time against the first two bosses. And holy god there is a lot of dialogue in this game. I'm pretty pleased with the game, it's something I can pick up and play at any time and quit when I want. Hopefully the community stays strong so online play doesn't become totally obsolete.
Considering this is official PSO without monthly fees, I'm confident the community won't disappear anytime soon. Even with PSP2 looming on the horizon. It's the same reason why Mario Kart still has a lot of online players.

Teknoman

Forkball said:

I want to see what the true final boss is, super hard mode and all.

depward

Beat the normal story mode today as well with my level 29 CAST. Gotta say, I am very impressed with the game; it has been a ton of fun. And feel the need to keep on going, clearing some sidequests on Hard and trying some online multiplayer.

As someone who has had little reason to play his DS as of late, this game has me packing my DS wherever I go.

Wizpig

Ogni-XR21 said:
Wow, I love this game. Kind of seems like the hardware limitations are what somehow improved this game
Heh, you are right, you know.
4 Players is probably a choice, I think, but items, small areas... it's all "thanks" to the DS.

botticus

I wrapped everything up in Normal yesterday, including the Eternal Tower, with my RAcast. That was a pain, but lots of nice drops.

Working on my RAmar next, not sure I like him as much as the CAST but I'll give him a bit more time when not jumping online for Hard mode quests with friends.

Teknoman

Hmm... i'm level 30 and just hit the Dark Ruins, but im guessing you might need to pump up your Mag abit. Also use the NPC tactics settings so they dont just run blindly into battle...actually providing a bit of back up.

Also dont forget you can use grinders on your armor.

Top Bottom