• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Phantasy Star Zero Thread (US)

Teknoman

baka kitsune said:
Me too. Besides, I'm tired of doing the same three fields. XD Progressing will give us more fields to party in.

That and need to figure out how to get different quests for the earlier areas.

Darkky

To be honest, I totally hate this game's camera control. It was so hard to move around and aim at the right monster/position when the character's view is consistently tilted to the wrong side. ):

This has probably been asked, but how is the atmosphere compared to PSO, audio-wise specifically?
One thing that really stood out with episode 1 & 2 was the ambience created by the futuristic sound effects merging together with a wonderful soundtrack that went from beautifully serene at times to desperately chaotic at others.

-WindYoshi- said:
This has probably been asked, but how is the atmosphere compared to PSO, audio-wise specifically?
One thing that really stood out with episode 1 & 2 was the ambience created by the futuristic sound effects merging together with a wonderful soundtrack that went from beautifully serene at times to desperately chaotic at others.

Perfect match, especially in later levels.

sfried

2DMention said:
Got in my first online game at 5pm cst and it was lag-free. Too bad you can't use the chat feature with strangers. :\
You can use basic predetermined messages, but you can't use the fancy visualchat.

botticus

I've played about a half hour of story mode and an hour of online questing with some friends last night. Not a fan of the camera, and the lock-on seems kinda gamey, but otherwise I'm not really having an issue with the controls.

They don't mess around when they say you'll lose all your quest progress if you quit in the middle of one. They could at least save my map exploration. :(

Proven

Ok, my friend was an idiot and sold a "vending machine" item. Basically they're items that, instead of only being able to get one per character, you can only get one per cardtridge, or so he says. Is there any way to wipe the cardtridge memory so it treats him like a new account? Or is he stuck having to rent a new copy of the game, trade the item off that, and then have someone else who might rent in anticipation to buy get screwed over? Says the item was a Caduceus.

As people starting getting farther through the game will we arrange trades in this thread or the online thread? Just wondering, I am already starting to get some sweet stuff. I got a Binary Saber (double saber) and the Octopus dropped a body part which I got made into a bad ass rocket launcher. I love the photon arts in this game, for the octopus bazooka (forget the exact name) I have to get in close and my character will melee attack with it twice, then kick the enemy in the chest and shoot them point blank in the face, lol.

Argh only got about an hour to play last night. Got up to level 4 or 5 and the first boss kicked my ass pretty good.

My hands are a little big for the DSi d-pad, but I don't think the controls aren't anything I can't get used to. The camera from PSO is pretty much the same camera that is in this game, so if you've been used to PSO I wouldn't be too worried about it.

Teknoman

-WindYoshi- said:

From earlier:
Audio
Music is really nice. Its sort of like the world itself, a mix of Wild ARMs and PSO. The environmental ambient noises are pretty nice as well, things like wind blowing through an open canyon area, and birds calling in the distance sound great. Like Kiryogi said earlier, the dynamic change in the music when fighting is back. A few of the sound effects (menu noises) are straight out of PSO.

EDIT: Yeah, i've got the same question about trading. Here or in online topic? Because i've got 2 hard frames with 3 slots each. Good stuff for those still without decent armor.

Teknoman said:
EDIT: Yeah, i've got the same question about trading. Here or in online topic? Because i've got 2 hard frames with 3 slots each. Good stuff for those still without decent armor.

I vote for the online topic, as that's more of an "online" thing.

2DMention

Banned
Some ?s:

How do you full heal after getting killed/complete a quest? Is there an inn or restore spot in town?

How do you use photon arts? Maybe I'm not far enough in the story that it explains it.

Teknoman

Hold either attack button down then release for an Art. For blasts, hold L and R until the circle appears under you, then release. Others can lend their power to your blast to make it stronger.

Also I found a broken horn the last time I faught Rayburn online, just turned it into a Scarred Spear, and its the best weapon i've got as a RAmar :lol

Teknoman

Captain N said:
I got it and I'm just not sure what race to pick..any suggestions?

Do you like robots, elf-looking people, or humans?
Do you like shooting things, controlling elements and being in a support role, or getting in the enemy's face?

Wizpig

Anyone wants to do a run right now in one of the first 3 levels?
[edit. Have to go, etc; maybe i'll be back later]

Foxix Von

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
So is the overall consensus good? Does it feel like the dreamcast game?

In a word, yes.

So far this is my favorite DS game next to phoenix wright. Overall this is a very, very good game and I'm really surprised there hasn't been more interest in it considering it is probably the best looking game on the system. Weird that as of writing this the only review on metacritic is still the Nintendo Power one.

That and it's basically PSO with a new art style and an unnecessary story hamfisted in there.

So, pretty awesome as a whole :D

VQ

sfried

Mejilan said:
Finally got my copy as well. Haven't yet created a character, so no friend code just yet.
Take your time. Don't jump to multiplayer straight away. In fact, it's a consensus to wait untill you reach LV 8-10 before you do. Untill then, check out the main PS0 website for more reference because the godawful manual that comes with the game hardly gives you enough information.

Proven

Finally got the game yesterday on the way to the Nintendo World event for NSMB Wii. Played for a few hours with some friends while there too. Pretty fun, except they'd never wait for me while I was still getting used to the controls and touch screen selections.

Only complaint is that for some reason when I try to do a combo on an enemy, I rarely get past the first hit. If I practice alone, I'm fine, but when I'm attacking an enemy, the hit lag from hitting them screws me up. Maybe it was just because I was playing multiplayer with my friends and my DS's wireless card is breaking down, but I'll be able to find out for sure in single player soon.

Also, what is the best way to raise maximum PP on a Hunter so I can use more photon arts, but without having to raise MST? Just hope for a slicer or something?

Teknoman

Proven said:
Finally got the game yesterday on the way to the Nintendo World event for NSMB Wii. Played for a few hours with some friends while there too. Pretty fun, except they'd never wait for me while I was still getting used to the controls and touch screen selections.

Only complaint is that for some reason when I try to do a combo on an enemy, I rarely get past the first hit. If I practice alone, I'm fine, but when I'm attacking an enemy, the hit lag from hitting them screws me up. Maybe it was just because I was playing multiplayer with my friends and my DS's wireless card is breaking down, but I'll be able to find out for sure in single player soon.

Also, what is the best way to raise maximum PP on a Hunter so I can use more photon arts, but without having to raise MST? Just hope for a slicer or something?

Materials, they boost stats permanently. You can either find them, get them as rewards for completing certain title challenges, or buy them using photon drops.

Wizpig

ACE 1991 said:
Does anyone want to play tonight? maybe 9pm EST? My friendcode is on the google spreadsheet.
:(

9pm EST is like 6 hours from now... it'll be 3 AM here.

If anyone wants to play now, I'm free.

Wizpig

ACE 1991 said:
I'll play. My friendcode is in the google spreadsheet.
Here i am, i'll go to the DS right now.
I already added you before.

edit: baka kitsune will be the Host, i think, so add him!

ACE 1991

just played with a few RL friends who convinced me to buy the game. I've never played PSO, but I must say the loot bug has thoroughly grabbed me. This really does feel like a DS MMO... Tons of fun to play with others. The arena level was really cool to.

I honestly think that this game has the potential to explode like PSO did on the dreamcast, if only Sega put some kind of marketing behind it.

wait, people are having region lock issues with this game on their DSi's? I have a Japanese copy and an american DSi and I dont have any issue booting the game up at all.

Proven

Teknoman said:
Materials, they boost stats permanently. You can either find them, get them as rewards for completing certain title challenges, or buy them using photon drops.

Thanks for the help. Although now that I know gun blades suck for Hunters, I'm going to have to use magic now anyway. Dammit.

Teknoman

Proven said:
Thanks for the help. Although now that I know gun blades suck for Hunters, I'm going to have to use magic now anyway. Dammit.

Gunblades dont seem that great for rangers either. Sure they're like shotguns/spread shots from the past games, but the range doesnt seem that great. Maybe i'm just not using em right.

Wizpig

Teknoman said:
Gunblades dont seem that great for rangers either. Sure they're like shotguns/spread shots from the past games, but the range doesnt seem that great. Maybe i'm just not using em right.
And i feel like I'm Squall straight from FF VIII, so THAT is not right.

Just added my friend code to that Google spreadsheet. Anyway, I'm really digging the game so far. I completely missed out on PSO, and given that game's awesome reputation I'm glad that PSZero gives me to opportunity to conveniently experience the Phantasy Star MMO-ish mold.

dock

My copy of this is winging its way towards me right now. Three friends of mine will be playing through this together. We gathered together each week to play through Zelda Four Swords and three Crystal Chronicles games. I'm really looking forward to it.

Does anyone recommend anything for a four player party? What would be a good selection of classes?

I can't believe the lack of hype for this game. I can't find a single review anywhere.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Man, so the camera just flat out sucks.
I died on that first dragon like 4 times because of it.
Still a very fun game though, I have to say.

Top Bottom