• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Phantasy Star Zero Thread (US)

botticus said:
Looks like Amazon sold out its (expected?) first shipment, as it's temporarily out of stock. Sega must have shipped dozens of copies.

I don't know if they even got it yet... I've had it pre-ordered and it's always told me an expected delivery date of 11/16 when I picked two day shipping.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I didn't know this was coming out this month, I'm pretty unsure about it as well. We'll see what it's like.

I was a HUGE fan of the PSP version, I put about 80 hours into it. I wish that game had online, I would still be playing it. I hope the online makes this game addicting...

botticus

JLateralus said:
I don't know if they even got it yet... I've had it pre-ordered and it's always told me an expected delivery date of 11/16 when I picked two day shipping.
They certainly haven't gotten the game yet, I've had the same delivery estimates. But if you ordered from Amazon today, they say they'll have it in 2-3 weeks.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
callous said:
This team should be in charge of future PSOnline games. Unlike the PSP team, these guys sort of get what PSO is all about.

I played the Japanese release to death and highly recommend it to any PSO fan who was disappointed with PSU+offspring.

God knows the game could do with a multitude of improvements (a bit of elevation in the levels wouldn't have hurt for starters), but I think any PSO fan will get at least 50 good hours out of PSZ. That's nothing compared to PSO, but it's still a solid dollar/hour investment.

P.S. Totally agree on the western theme, but when you're playing the game itself it doesn't really show much at all, so give it a chance anyway.

That's honestly good to know. It was the only major thing holding me back, but I can deal and just pick a character that I'm cool with if the rest of the game is solid!

OMG Aero

So does anyone know if this game is like PSO where the character you use in singleplayer is the same you use in multiplayer and your levels and items carry over? Or is it like PSU where you play as a specific character for singleplayer and all your items and stats are separate from your multiplayer ones?

Anyone planning on picking this up anywhere today? I'd like to cancel my Amazon preorder and jump in, but I doubt anyone will have it.

I want this too... I fell in love with the Japanese version. But now ill know what is going on! So... tomorrow is a federal holiday... how is it looking?

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
OMG Aero said:
So does anyone know if this game is like PSO where the character you use in singleplayer is the same you use in multiplayer and your levels and items carry over? Or is it like PSU where you play as a specific character for singleplayer and all your items and stats are separate from your multiplayer ones?

I'm pretty sure you use the same character in both modes.

DeVeAn

I already own the game thanks to SEGA of America, and I gotta say its really good. It follows PSO style with a dash of PSU. The dpad really is a non-issue as while playing it seems that kept in mind it was there. Fun combat, co op and loot lust. Its what PSU should have been IMO. Don't pass it up its good stuff.

Oh wow, this game just came out? Now I can play it in English without having to ask the wife to translate the weapons! :lol

I put about 40 some odd hours into the JP version not really knowing what was going on, but it really had the PSO vibe to it and it became a fun ass time sink. The last mission I remember was that insanely long tower that took me literally 4-5+ hours to complete. T'was fun all the way though. :D

I think if you're a fan of PSO, you'll get a good kick out of this game.

Cimarron said:
DAMN! Now I need to buy a DSi. :^( Is there a way to hook one of these up to my HDTV?

A DS?? Not with out modding... or getting a special cart :lol

Long time ago I saw someone hook a DS PHAT to a TV...

DemiMatt

DigitalA1chemy said:
Everyone be sure to come back and post your friend codes when you get the game...I need people to play with!

Is the friendcode thing specific to the DSi? Meaning you cant play with random people with a dslite?

SnakeSlashRO said:
A DS?? Not with out modding... or getting a special cart :lol

Long time ago I saw someone hook a DS PHAT to a TV...
I bet that resolution looked lovely on a 32" flatscreen tv :lol

DemiMatt said:
Is the friendcode thing specific to the DSi? Meaning you cant play with random people with a dslite?

No you can play with random people on either system as far as I know, but I'd like to also have some cool people to play and trade with on a regular basis and I don't have any personal friends whom are buying the game.

vesp

hmmm wasnt going to pick this up but a last minute trip where I'll be at a console free home for a week has me reconsidering. hopefully it will actually be in stores today/tomorrow.

Teknoman

It looks/sounds like a great game, where are all the Phantasy Star fans with DS, or just DS RPG fans in general?

screenshot_nds_phantasy_star_zero004.jpg

HYPE.

kiryogi

Banned
callous said:
This team should be in charge of future PSOnline games. Unlike the PSP team, these guys sort of get what PSO is all about.

I played the Japanese release to death and highly recommend it to any PSO fan who was disappointed with PSU+offspring.

God knows the game could do with a multitude of improvements (a bit of elevation in the levels wouldn't have hurt for starters), but I think any PSO fan will get at least 50 good hours out of PSZ. That's nothing compared to PSO, but it's still a solid dollar/hour investment.

P.S. Totally agree on the western theme, but when you're playing the game itself it doesn't really show much at all, so give it a chance anyway.

If you didn't realize, this same team is working on PSP2. :p It's not the team we should really credit. It's Sakai. He's fixing what Miyoshi did with PSU. Really should get off your fucking PSO high horse and do some research before you assume anything.

LaneDS

Is the music similar in tone to PSO? That game is probably in my top ten of game soundtracks, so if this is similar to any of the PSO games, I'll be pretty much sold on that alone.

At this point, kind of on the fence whether to get this or wait for PSP2 (it's my love of PSO and dislike of PSU vs. my dislike of 3D games on the DS).

kiryogi

Banned
LaneDS said:
Is the music similar in tone to PSO? That game is probably in my top ten of game soundtracks, so if this is similar to any of the PSO games, I'll be pretty much sold on that alone.

At this point, kind of on the fence whether to get this or wait for PSP2 (it's my love of PSO and dislike of PSU vs. my dislike of 3D games on the DS).

Well dynamic music changes are back to say the least

Parallax said:
is there a hub world in the game, or is it a menu like in psp?
Yes there is.

Teknoman

LaneDS said:

Seems that way to me after checking out some of the boss tracks/environment tracks. Pretty close anyway.

Character Creation theme

Opening Title

Cant really find many tracks hosted even though its got a huge OST.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Lindsay said:
$35 price tag sucks so I'm pretty far from sold on this.

That's ridiculously silly. An extra $5 makes the price tag suck for a game that requires a subscription fee on consoles?

Can't imagine why $35 would "suck" but the normal and fair $30 doesn't.

Anyway, OMG THIS IS COMING OUT? I didn't even realize it. Time to get a new DS I guess.

Zyzyxxz

grrr I want to buy a DSi just so I can play this!

But I know I'll get endlessly addicted so I should stay away for my own good.

remz

Zyzyxxz said:
grrr I want to buy a DSi just so I can play this!

But I know I'll get endlessly addicted so I should stay away for my own good.
You should definitely get addicted.

faridmon

man,i can't wait. I am waiting for it here in Europe. PSP is keeping busy until then.
for someone whose his first Phantasy Star game is the PSP one. is this game different for the better or for the worst?

either way, i am getting this baby for sure:D

YagizY said:
I know their are MAGs in the game (PSP1 had them too) but can you actually feed your MAGs and level them up?

I beleive you do feed mags and they level just like in pso, you have to have certain stats to get the rare mags as well, any chance of a mag gallery being added to the OP?

Cosmo Clock 21 said:
A Mag gallery, of sorts: http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156248

I think you can feed mags weapons and armor in addition to consumables this time around, too.
You are absolutely right here. You can feed Mags almost any item, with a few exceptions.

Also I do not know if it was discussed already, but most weapons have a special charged attack you can use that consumes PP and combo attacks, as well as the powered attack are back!

It disturbs me that this game is not getting the attention it deserves here on GAF. I would have expected that this thread would be larger by now.

Kindof wish they had done a full blown PSO remake on the PSP with its extra powers, just mindless hoping I guess.

I will watch some videos on youtube later and keep this on my radar just in case I feel the urge.

kyo_daikun said:
Kindof wish they had done a full blown PSO remake on the PSP with its extra powers, just mindless hoping I guess.

I will watch some videos on youtube later and keep this on my radar just in case I feel the urge.
son_i_am_disappoint.jpg

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Adam Prime said:
I was a HUGE fan of the PSP version, I put about 80 hours into it. I wish that game had online, I would still be playing it. I hope the online makes this game addicting...

Good news, everyone! (Well, except for the insane that still think PSO's aging conventions are worth playing) PSP2 includes online mode. There is no need to go back to "SCHWING-SCHWING-SCHWING" PSO/0.

2DMention

Banned
Looking forward to this as I found PSU extremely disappointing. I was a big fan of PSO on the DC.

Will probably be a Newman Hunter (I don't know the abbreviation).

tim1138

JLateralus said:
Yeah, if someone makes an Online Topic... feel free to use this list!

I did just that - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=18445579#post18445579

And some quick impressions--after playing about 45 minutes and clearing the first story mode quest it definitely feels more like original PSO to me than any of the PSU games did--and for me thats a plus. Tried to go online but couldn't find anyone to play with, hopefully there will be a nice little community created here on GAF.

Top Bottom