• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Ryu ga Gotoku 3 Thread

bh7812 said:
Ya know Sega could either release it in VERY limited numbers to stores, online or just online and emphasize it's very limited quantities and that way all of us that want it can have it and support it. Or better yet Sony could buy the distribution rights and localize it. That wouldn't cost a terrible lot of money at all. I just hope it makes it over some way some how.
Yeah, I really wish at least SCEA/SCEE would buy distribution rights if Sega doesn't want to release it in the west. It would give PS3 an extra exclusive boost in the west, and it would at least keep the game exclusive to PS3 (since Yakuza is a pretty big series in Japan). SCEA is usually pretty good at convincing retailers to buy a lot of copies of games also, so it could get pretty good sales that way. I think it would be great for SCEA/SCEE to showcase Yakuza 3 as one of their games of the year (or next) and hadle localization themselves, but I doubt they'll do it.

Anyway, I played the demo. I enjoyed what I played, but there's no doubt Yakuza just isn't made to have a demo.

God I hope I can decipher all the slang and tough-guy accented Japanese in this game, because I highly doubt it'll ever see US release. I can brush up by playing Yakuza 2 with the subs though, since it's still in my backlog...

jett

D-Member
Demo is awesome. Karaoke is awesome. Fighting is awesome. New heat moves are awesome.

AWESOME

It ends as soon as you get into the back alley and fight the CIA...next time I'll go do some other stuff...totally missed the arcade.

I really hope Sega brings it, there's no point in playing a Yakuza game in a language I don't understand, story and stuff is just too important in these games.

Graphics are OK, faces are really good, everything else not really. The in-game animation seems lifted from the PS2 games, that was a bit disappointing. :p

edit: shame you can't skip the cut-scenes...

great demo! i had so much fun with karaoke :lol its cool to see the bloody nose of guys you just beat up, when you are about to claim your loot. i like the new interface and the quick change for weapons so far. also the minigames in the arcade seem interesing, like the shooter or answer x answer.

everything looks just so much better and the facial expression is amazing.

LiK

jett said:
Demo is awesome. Karaoke is awesome. Fighting is awesome. New heat moves are awesome.

AWESOME

It ends as soon as you get into the back alley and fight the CIA...next time I'll go do some other stuff...totally missed the arcade.

I really hope Sega brings it, there's no point in playing a Yakuza game in a language I don't understand, story and stuff is just too important in these games.

Graphics are OK, faces are really good, everything else not really. The in-game animation seems lifted from the PS2 games, that was a bit disappointing. :p

hmm, i dont remember if you can skip cutscenes in the PS2 games.

Dante

I had to delete and re download the demo somehow it kept locking up on the loading screen the first time I downloaded.

GrayFoxPL

duckroll said:
The demo was pretty shitty. I don't think it enjoyed it at all. Which.... is how I felt about the Kenzan demos too. I don't really think the series lends itself well to demos at all, and I don't know why I keep downloading them even though I preorder the games in advance. Force of habit I guess. I suggest anyone else who's actually getting the game next week to just skip the demo, it's a waste of time. :/

The fuck?!
I agree wholeheartly on shittyness of Kenzan demos but this is totally different story. The demo is infinitely better. Very meaty chunk of both gameplay story and activities and smartly put together unlike Kenzan.

If you didn't enjoy it them maybe you should reconsider buying the full game and spare yourself the dissapointment?

jett said:

AWESOME

Yeah! Even The Negativator likes it! :D

I juiced the demo dry, I love it. I like that they upped the difficulty of the fights. In Y2 the fighting was so easy and you were overpowered that you never had to block! Now it's different, the enemies can stun and fuck you up pretty easly. I love the wall combos and all other new shit. Brace knuckles and nuchaku's is awesome. The heat moves and qte is better.

The animations are improved too but it doesn't look like it at first glance and it isn't big improvment so I agree with you. At least the enemy animation is better. And what do you say at instant real time battles and shit flying around? How many parts broken bikes have, the physics. It's fucking great!

At first I thought you can't make the hero sing but I choose the option to sing with date and after her it was his turn to sing. Fucking awesome. Kiryu - You nostalgic bastard and your sloppy songs! :lol

You can skip cutscenes. I remembered it from part 2. The option before the slider - choose the second.

I think this will be my first Japanese import. I'll loose on the story, but I don't think I can wait 1.5 year or longer for eu version.

tass0

Banned
Man, people are talking shit about the demo? I thought it was really awesome, really hardcore and it was long (and i still haven't done everything in the demo) :D

inner-G

Banned
Wow, I'm loving this :D

There's really a good amount of mini-games/exploring/playtime for a demo imo.

... and beating people over the head with mountain bikes just never gets old :lol

I don't really want to play the demo since I don't want another Kenzan situation where I really like the demo and can never play the full game, but seeing a few videos it does look great. A bit too much aliasing tho. I don't think the Japanese devs understand how to put AA into their games. This, Naruto PS3, and Vaklyria had pretty bad aliasing on top of otherwise great graphics.

Linkzg said:
I don't really want to play the demo since I don't want another Kenzan situation where I really like the demo and can never play the full game

Like I said elsewhere, you should seriously import Kenzan. There is a well-made FAQ for it, and it's now a budget release in Japan.

RpgN

About the story, I haven't played Yakuza 1&2. So it's kind of confusing when the story assumes you know certain people. So those group wanted to buy the club for strategic reasons and there's a war going on. Why are they after that guy who was on the phone with Kiryu? What kind of person is he? Those unexpected CIA came out of nowhere for no particular reason so far...Exciting but very confusing too.

For the people complaining about the graphics, maybe it doesn't push the limits but the environments look very alive and real. They certainly succeeded in that. And the characters are very detailed as well. Kenzan is such a pretty game, I thought it was sad how you couldn't take a look at your surroundings in first person mode. Luckily Yakuza 3 has that option :D

LiK

RpgN said:
About the story, I haven't played Yakuza 1&2. So it's kind of confusing when the story assumes you know certain people. So those group wanted to buy the club for strategic reasons and there's a war going on. Why are they after that guy who was on the phone with Kiryu? What kind of person is he? Those unexpected CIA came out of nowhere for no particular reason so far...Exciting but very confusing too.

YES, Yakuza 1 & 2 are must-plays, i can't stress it enough. they are direct sequels.
at least play through the second one to get the most out of it.

distantmantra said:
Like I said elsewhere, you should seriously import Kenzan. There is a well-made FAQ for it, and it's now a budget release in Japan.

I know, I know. I've been considering it. I planned to hold off on that and Way of the Samurai 3 imports for a few more months to see if anyone would bring them over. Maybe closer to E3 is June, hopefully. If I do get around to importing them, it would be in the summer when I have a good chunk of time to sit down and play it with a guide.

Scotch

I must say I'm really intrigued by this demo, even though I have no idea what the hell I'm doing. Hope this comes to the US/EU.

2real4tv

I enjoyed the demo even though I did not understand anything. I thought the graphics were good but the lighting made everything look last gen....however Iam looking for fun and thats all that matters

Darkpen

Banned
duckroll said:
The demo was pretty shitty. I don't think it enjoyed it at all. Which.... is how I felt about the Kenzan demos too. I don't really think the series lends itself well to demos at all, and I don't know why I keep downloading them even though I preorder the games in advance. Force of habit I guess. I suggest anyone else who's actually getting the game next week to just skip the demo, it's a waste of time. :/
while what you say its true, for me, as someone who doesn't understand Japanese and probably won't be able to pick this up, its like tasting a sampler at an icecream shop.

EXGN

As a Yakuza virgin, I actually enjoyed. The fighting seemed pretty deep, there are so many different moves, weapons, and combos, depending on your situation. And I love how brutal the QTE sections are! I don't know Japanese, so I didn't really get much out of the story or dating sequences, but w/e. A

gain, I'm not really impressed with the graphics, the faces and background sets are great but outside of that, its somewhat bland and a lot of jaggies. Also, I don't like the excessive use of invisible walls... if you don't want a player to go somewhere, just put a door there, invisible walls seem so archaic.

Although I still don't get some of the fighting mechanics... Is triangle supposed to be like a block breaking attack? And whats up with the different auras? Also, when you hold R1, whats that supposed to do?

RpgN

LiK said:
YES, Yakuza 1 & 2 are must-plays, i can't stress it enough. they are direct sequels.
at least play through the second one to get the most out of it.

While I want to try Yakuza 2 for the story, I'm afraid to play it. I'm afraid to play it before Yakuza 3 because then Yakuza 3 might feel less fresh. They are so alike. Is it wrong for me to think that way?

Darkpen

Banned
Man, I need to play Yakuza 2 :(

I played and loved/hated Yakuza 1, but now I'm hearing stuff like Nishiki being thrown around with other moon language, and I do recall seeing someone who looked like Fuma Oyabun, or probably is, and hearing the name Fuma, in an earlier trailer, so I'm like wtf, didn't these people die? D:

Need to play 2 o_o

Pallaris

Hmm, that was fairly enjoyable I suppose, in the same way Y1/2's brawler elements were, and that's about all I had to go on since I didn't understand a word. Shame that most of the animations were culled from the PS2, but even that isn't a biggie.

Graphics... oh boy. I knew all that early fluff from TGS/SEGA was too good to be true. For starters it looks like the most upscaled game i've seen on PS3 yet. Really soft and blurry looking, coupled with seemingly no AA. Curious as to what the res is, not that i'm one for pixel counting but this looks really odd to me. Worst part is it stutters quite frequently when roaming around crowded areas which is no good.

Characters look decent (not sure about the shiny hair tho) but the indoor stuff is PS2 level at best. And the load times in and out of rooms is a little more than you'e hope with the HDD. This has gone from looking like one of the best games ever to slightly above PS2 in gameplay. Pretty crazy.

In fairness the PS2 games weren't exactly a technical showcase either and more than made up for it with the story/gameplay.

GoDLiKe

RpgN said:
While I want to try Yakuza 2 for the story, I'm afraid to play it. I'm afraid to play it before Yakuza 3 because then Yakuza 3 might feel less fresh. They are so alike. Is it wrong for me to think that way?
It's wrong, you really need to play all of them to have the complete experience.

All of them are awesome, so why skip 2? Play all!:D

Dyne

I played Yakuza 1 for the greater part of yesterday and I'm on Chapter 9. Great game. I guess I'm close to beating it?

I just found a copy of Yakuza 2 that I'll open immediately after I finish Yakuza 1.

I went to order Kenzan off of play-asia but there's none in stock of the original version. I guess I'll have to wait. PS3 is region-free for games, right? That's so awesome.

GoDLiKe

Demo is amazing! The visuals are excellent, not the best one for PS3 but the amount of detail, animations, character models is top notch.

To help everyone I took a picture of the game map and I marked the locations of the places you can enter and events. Hope you like it =)

15490t0.jpg

1- girl who will be attacked by the crazy guy. Press R3 and them focus on her and press circle;
2- Club SEGA;
3- Karaoke;
4- restaurants;
5- Club Ageha;
6- stores;
7- after the first event on Startdust, you need to go there to finish the demo;
8- Stardust.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
can you just walk around fucking up random fools in this demo? I'd like to get a feel for the fighting engine, but I don't want to have to restart all the time.

LiK

RpgN said:

no no no, it won't feel less fresh. in fact, if you play the first 2, it'll make you even MORE excited to play the 3rd. you'll have a greater appreciation for the characters and story. i think i can speak for everyone who played the previous 2 games that we're probably the most excited to play the third one because the first two were so awesome. :D

and the stories are directly linked so skipping one is like missing one entire chapter in a book, imo.

GoDLiKe

Brobzoid said:
can you just walk around fucking up random fools in this demo? I'd like to get a feel for the fighting engine, but I don't want to have to restart all the time.
Yeah you can just walk and search for a good fight :D

Some pictures that I took:

vi1dg2.jpg

291l37a.jpg

2qd21.jpg

2wqemvn.jpg

3133uz5.jpg

25k64xe.jpg

11c9lq1.jpg

282g8r8.jpg

milant.jpg

55rtxt.jpg

bi8q4l.jpg

14e5ds0.jpg

jett

D-Member
I wonder if the cut-scenes shown in the game are FMV. There's no reason the demo should be that big otherwise...some of them textures look like they belong on the PS2.

LiK

jett said:
I wonder if the cut-scenes shown in the game are FMV. There's no reason the demo should be that big otherwise...some of them textures look like they belong on the PS2.

they could be higher quality 3D models used for the cutscenes only. i think this method was used in the original Yakuza games and other games like Kingdom Hearts.

jett

D-Member
LiK said:
they could be higher quality 3D models used for the cutscenes only. i think this method was used in the original Yakuza games and other games like Kingdom Hearts.

Not just higher quality 3D models, the lighting is way better during cut-scenes too. In any case previous Yakuza games used a lot of FMV'd cut-scenes.

ah forget it to be honest the game doesn't look good enough to pass off for CG anyway. :p Wished those cut-scene shaders/lighting/shadowing was used in gameplay though...the lighting in particular is sooooo flat in-game.

jett said:

They just look like higher res models and much better lighting

yakuza-3-20090219032613454.jpg

Top Bottom