• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PC Gamer Top 100

Piggus

Love Half Life 2, but putting it third on games you can still enjoy playing today in 2016 seems to be far too generous.

Oblivion higher than WoW, FF14, Starcraft II, League of Legends, & Diablo III?

Oblivion is higher because it's better than those games.

Azar

A list like this is always going to be massively subjective. How do you define "best"? It's hard to not get that confused with influential as well. A game from years ago may not hold up in gameplay, but does it deserve a spot due to being massively influential?
That would be a consideration if we were trying to define the canon of all-time games, but that isn't at all the goal of the Top 100. As mentioned in the intro paragraph to the list, we have a feature on the 50 most important games of all time that does exactly that. I spent about six months working on it!

The Top 100 is simply our staff voting on the games we'd recommend people play today. Everyone voted on games they love. The whole "gotta get them clicks" refrain is just so tiring.

Regginator

People seem to really like this mediocre, ridiculously unbalanced game with broken stealth that discourages you from using any of your combat abilities. I don't know what it is, but journalists in particular seem to flip for it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

People seem to really like this visually striking and atmospheric hauntingly game set in a terrifically fleshed out world with tons of lore that offers one of the most player freedom experiences of recent years.

How can people possibly like that?

Anno

The Top 100 is simply our staff voting on the games we'd recommend people play today. Everyone voted on games they love. The whole "gotta get them clicks" refrain is just so tiring.

Out of curiousity is it just asking everyone to jot down a top 100 then tallying votes? Or is it bare-knuckled backroom politics and lobbying? I like to think of it as the latter with Chris trying to capitalize on years of groundwork and favors owed to get Dota as high up the list as possible.

inky

Warning: this list includes Dragon Age II

Never forget

3212117uyg.png

Brockxz

Wait, Deus Ex is out of top 10, the game should be in permanent number 1. :p
No questions asked.
PC gaming is truly dead.

inm8num2

I really wish I saved my old PC Gamer issues from the mid to late 90s. They did a couple Top 50 lists back then and it would be fun to see what games have survived.

The one thing I do remember is that their 1997 list had Tie Fighter as #1. That's not on the new Top 100 which can be considered both a bummer and a testament to how many great games have been made in the last 20 years.

I'm old enough to remember their first list when TIE Fighter was #1. :(

:)

0aN5Hv9.jpg

Azar

Out of curiousity is it just asking everyone to jot down a top 100 then tallying votes? Or is it bare-knuckled backroom politics and lobbying? I like to think of it as the latter with Chris trying to capitalize on years of groundwork and favors owed to get Dota as high up the list as possible.
Before it was annualized and less focused on recommendations for *right now* there was more of that for sure, haha. These days it goes more smoothly. We vote, we tally, we discuss. It's not purely numbers based, so we make adjustments that feel right to try to cover blind spots. Ultimately it's limited to games that we play and have played, which is why it can't cover everything. If only we had time to actually play even close to every decent PC game!

Bolivar687

Banned
If you're trying to say that GW2 should be very high on the list as well I agree! Certainly the highest MMO.

I thought your av looked like an incognito Tidehunter so it would pair well with your post.

But since you mentioned it, GW2 absolutely deserves to be higher on a list of titles to play today.

Aaron D.

Man, what a fantastic list.

I LOVE that it's framed as games you'd want to play TODAY, giving context to modern relevance and availability.

Bookmarked. What an awesome resource.

Final bingo page was a RIOT.

Well played, PC Gamer.

Well played.

Anno

I thought your av looked like an incognito Tidehunter so it would pair well with your post.

But since you mentioned it, GW2 absolutely deserves to be higher on a list of titles to play today.

Ah, no. I'd definitely play a lot more Tide if he had a quaggan-themed getup, though.

Lime

I can forgive the list for all its modern deficiencies (that top 10 has zero historical perspective) all due to having Mechcommander and Homeworld in there

mhayze

I love most "top x" lists because I consider them all people's opinions (as opposed to some 'official ranking' or other canonical entry that has real meaning), and I find critics and game journalist opinions very telling of where they fall in the taste spectrum. You also can't help but think of what your list would look like after reading theirs. Also this is an different take on the usual all time best list - games that you would enjoy playing in 2016.

I am surprised that there are zero Blizzard games in the top 10. Since it's a list of games that you can enjoy in 2016, that means that there are no Blizzard games playable today that they would rank over any other game in that top 10. Not that surprising that some people feel that way, I guess?

Edit:
Reading some people's posts with 'why isn't x game on the list' - do people still play so much Myth in 2016 that it fits in their top 10 most played and loved games of 2016? I loved Myth in it's day (
OG Bungie!
), but it's a multiplayer game, I just assumed the community had evaporated. There are similar explanations for why a lot of other great games don't rank higher on this particular list - you just aren't like to spend a lot of time playing those games in 2016.

joms5

Not a single game in the top 10 was made before 2007.

Was this list picked by a bunch of teenagers? Good god.

EDIT: Also PCGamer awarding Dark Souls spot number 2 when it launched with one of the worst ports ever. 720p and 30fps. Durante back me up on this!!

EDIT #2: For the record I loved Dark Souls. :)

Surfinn

I know these lists are the definition of subjective and lots of these comparisons are apples/oranges, but my god The Witcher 3 is one of the most overrated games I've ever played. Characters are generic, story is boring. Tried playing it twice (own it) and just could not get into the gameplay either. I want to see what the world has to offer but if those basics aren't solid there's no way I'm gunna explore it.

Really wish I liked it more because it seems like it's got potential to be really fun.

HL2 should be #1, if we're talking about all time (and at time of release), but if we're just talking about games you can CURRENTLY play, Skyrim should be higher for the sheer amount of things you can do/have fun with.

Lime

This list makes me feel old and I sense a growing dislike of young people and their lack of perspective and experience

Aaron D.

I'll never be able to understand why so many people get shocked or angry with a Top whatever list.

I know some of you are just having fun but,

Am I missing something or am I too emotionless about all these?

Nah, sounds like...

- Your identity isn't wrapped up in entertainment products

- You understand people have varying tastes (and that's okay)

- You don't need to boast about how deep you PC gaming history is

- You realize that it's okay (and perhaps even refreshing ) if every Top 100 list doesn't end with Tetris or Half-Life or whatever.

- You get that an unmentioned personal favorite in no way diminishes said personal favorite

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
This list makes me feel old and I sense a growing dislike of young people and their lack of perspective and experience
It isn't really geared towards young people either. When a PC focused website produces a list like this they should take one look at it and just gut the staff or something. This list is out of touch with what is current, weak when it comes to old games that still hold up well today, and really does nothing to highlight titles that truly take advantage of the PC as a platform.

Wanderer5

Wow Dishonored being #5. Not sure if I would fully agree with that, but it is nice seeing it being in the high part of the list.

Also Guild Wars 2 > WoW on there hah hah! >:p But seriously glad Guild Wars 2 is in the top 50 least.

Portal 2 is significantly better than Portal. Lazy list

Agree. Portal 2 was just a whole new level of awesomeness in so many ways really.

A list like this is always going to be massively subjective. How do you define "best"? It's hard to not get that confused with influential as well. A game from years ago may not hold up in gameplay, but does it deserve a spot due to being massively influential?

Like i'd put WoW in the top 5 because how much I still enjoy that game and how important it is to me. Other prominent games would be completely missing from my list as well, and things like Dragon's Dogma and Stellaris would take their places. Not agreeing with their picks doesn't mean that it's just for clicks, they just have a different perspective.

It's a top ten list - of course it's only reason for existence is for clicks. What other reason is there for it to exist? To inform people of games they may have missed? Not one of the games in the top ten is less than 13 years old (HL2 is the oldest). 3 are from the last year or so..I mean, really? Witcher 3 is the best PC Game ever after having only a year on shelves? Far surpassing Baldurs Gate and KoTor? Doom? Diablo? Starcraft? Xwing? Syndicate? Pirates? Freespace? HoM3? Planescape? etc etc etc etc etc

Given that we have GOG on the PC these days, there's a lot of games there that should be in the top ten. Yes, it's subjective, yes it's just a list - but it's an odd one given where it's coming from.

buuut there's a Hall and Oates reference in the thread, so I guess it was all 'subjectively' worth it for me.

Grimalkin

I don't get having a list of the best PC games you can play today, yet the top twenty is filled with last generation console ports beating out the likes of Civ V, CSGO, Crusader Kings and Dota. Or Diablo II, which Blizzard is now updating for modern displays, way ahead of Path of Exile, which they write is the successor and getting better every month.

Seriously. A PC gaming site and of the Top 20 only 5 could be remotely counted as "PC Exclusives" or at least PC as the lead platform.

Half-Life 2 (was eventually released for consoles but was PC exclusive for so long I'll count it)
Kerbal Space Program (soon to be on consoles)
Dota 2
EVE Online
XCOM 2 (soon to be on consoles)

I'm not counting TF2 as it released simultaneously for PC and 360.

Since they don't list what their actual criteria for "best" is but then go on to specifically note that historical impact on the industry is not a qualifier I am guessing that their criteria is "games I like on PC as of August 25, 2016".

And if "games I like on PC as of August 25, 2016" is their criteria I could easily come up with a Top 50 that includes games that are either PC exclusive or PC as the lead platform.

That's above and beyond the fact that listing games you like is dumb. There are plenty of games I personally like that I would not recommend to other people (at least not without major caveats) as I have enough brain cells to rub together to figure out that just because I like it doesn't mean its objectively good.

PC Gamer should clearly outline the criteria for "best" and enforce it. People posting on NeoGAF in their spare time, for free can come up with better reasoned arguments for why a certain game is "best".

Going back to PC Gamer's original list, why on earth would I drop $1000+ on a sweet gaming PC and then play poorly optimized console ports. If someone was new to PC gaming I wouldn't recommend a bunch of console ports. How does that showcase what PC gaming can do and is about? "Here's a bunch of games you could have played on the console you already own! Except now they look better!"

As a final troll-y note, I just replayed Half-Life 2 in the last year let me tell you there are about 200+ games more fun than Half-Life 2 at this point. Half-Life 2 is on there strictly for it's historical impact on the industry even though they said that isn't a valid reason to put a game on this list.

I really wish I saved my old PC Gamer issues from the mid to late 90s. They did a couple Top 50 lists back then and it would be fun to see what games have survived.

Would love to see these lists. I'm sure they are archived somewhere on Tumblr.

Once again NeoGAF's own Steam "Best of Year" list is a more reliable point for finding new-ish good games. Would love to see a NeoGAF PC-Centric Best Games of All Time voting thread.

Nev

Banned
Diablo II is better than III, Portal 2 is better than 1, WoW is better than GW2 and Heroes III is better than anything on the top 10 except Dark Souls.

Alright list, too bad they screwed up by giving the #1 to the game with the worst gameplay out of the 10 (except for Skyrim, obviously). It's depressing how the best videogames for some people are no longer required to have solid gameplay to build a story/world upon, but the other way around, and games with downright terrible gameplay like TW3 end up above tons and tons of games with perfected gameplay, from RTS, RPGs to Mobas.

Anyways, considering this could very well be a console list, Arkham City is miles better than crap like Skyrim or mediocrity like MGSV.

LoL should be top 5 or higher.

Surfinn

As a final troll-y note, I just replayed Half-Life 2 in the last year let me tell you there are about 200+ games more fun than Half-Life 2 at this point. Half-Life 2 is on there strictly for it's historical impact on the industry even though they said that isn't a valid reason to put a game on this list.

Considering it was released in 2004, I think it's an absolute achievement the game is still as fun as it is (I've replayed it recently too), but I agree there are a multitude of titles more fun/more worth gamers' time.

The list provided is kind of.. pointless in a while, but then again, most "best games ever" lists are.

injurai

Banned
People put too much emphasis on lists.

PC Gamer isn't going to make the same list every year.

It's surprising though that Wolfenstein: The New Order and Doom 4 aren't to be found though.

Anno

This thread is getting pretty embarrassing. And what's up with people wanting this to be a PC-exclusive list? That sells short the platform, especially these days. There's no point in being the open, flexible place to play games only to nail it down.

Not a fan of Witcher 3, but I respect where it is. Personally I think Mass Effect 2 should be #1. Also Bloodborne needs to replace Dark Souls' place.

Top Bottom