• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The People Vs. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story - S1 - FX Tues - 90 on Metacritic

nR04lx1.jpg

The first season of The People Vs. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story beings on Tuesday, February 2nd on FX. The Ryan Murphy show, which seemed like a bad idea initially, is getting rave reviews and will consist of 10 episodes. I wasn't planning on watching this, but the reviews have piqued my interest. Is anyone else going to check it out?

EDIT: Note that "American Crime Story" is an anthology series. The first season will cover the OJ trial. Next year will have a different cast and follow a different true crime story focused on Hurricane Katrina.

Trailers:
Cast:
o0VvMMn.jpg

John Travolta as Robert Shapiro

zQCN3Si.jpg

Sarah Paulson as Marcia Clarke

ROjyzdQ.jpg

David Schwimmer as Robert Kardashian

BGRl64k.jpg

Courtney Vance as Johnie Cochran

fa92CVO.jpg

Cuba Gooding Jr. as OJ Simpson

The cast also includes: Connie Britton, Selma Blair, Bruce Greenwood, Nathan Lane, Kenneth Choi, and a few others.​

Reviews:
IndieWire said:
Through six episodes, it's on track to be one of the best first seasons of television ever made, especially considering the cultural climate surrounding its release.
Newsday said:
Best series of the year so far. Easily.
TV Guide said:
Though the verdict polarized the country, most will agree on the merits of The People v. O.J. Simpson as terrific TV.
Slate said:
Ultimately, watching the trial play out as a fait accompli gives it the heft and structure of a classical tragedy in which everyone is undone by his or her seeming strengths turned to weaknesses.
The Oregonian said:
Like the trial itself--and the spectacle that surrounded it--The People v. O.J. Simpson is sometimes trashy, often disturbing, and so compelling that it's impossible to stop watching.
Variety said:
Arresting from the get-go, the performances in this limited series are almost uniformly superb (with one glaring exception).
Time said:
The show is nourished by Toobin’s contemporaneous reporting, which dives deep into the supporting characters’ motivations.... Some viewers might be turned off by Crime Story’s focus on celebrity and its winking references to the family of Simpson defense attorney Robert Kardashian (Friends star David Schwimmer), of which there are too many. The point, though, stands: the Simpson trial was fueled by fame and, troublingly, generated fame for those involved.
NY Magazine said:
For the most part, Murphy & Co. are content to mine this familiar material for pathos and corrosive satire. There isn’t a bad performance anywhere in this production, and while a few of them fail to rise above the level of a very good imitation (Travolta’s Shapiro is all sculpted eyebrows, puckered smirks, and constricted body language), most of them go far beyond that.
Onion A|V Club said:
Simpson bears almost no mark of Murphy’s involvement except for his ability to wring the best work out of his actors. There’s not an off-pitch performance to be found, and with cooler heads at the typewriter, Crime Story becomes great in all the ways Horror Story isn’t. A-

Poster:

GavinGT

Banned
Awesome. I was too young to follow the case with any real dedication as it was playing out. I just remember being out on the playground and the teachers came out and announced "not guilty" to a bunch of elementary schoolers. It was weird.

Definitely will watch.

Moppeh

Banned
I didn't even know this was a thing, but goddamn, that's a pretty interesting cast. I'm definitely gonna check this out.

Parch

I didn't realize this was a series. I thought it was just a special.

It was pretty crazy when it was going on and there's a lot of layers to the story. It was a lot more than just showing how flawed the American justice system is.

I didn't realize this was a series. I thought it was just a special.
It's an anthology series, so each season will have a (mostly) new cast and focus on something different.
The second season is in development, and will focus on Hurricane Katrina and its aftermath. Ryan Murphy explained the working plan is "to follow a group of six to eight people in an attempt to examine all sides of the tragedy, from the Superdome in New Orleans to the hospital to those who were put on buses and dropped off with babies who had to wear trash bags for multiple days." Production for the second season will begin in fall 2016.

Huh, I thought this would be more about high profile cases, that's a strange choice.

There's a lengthy article about the production of the series here:

- THR: Inside TV's Retrial of OJ Simpson: A Saga of Race, Redress and, Yes, Robert Kardashian's Kids

Regarding next season:
"In my opinion, Katrina was a f—ing crime — a crime against a lot of people who didn't have a strong voice, and we're going to treat it as a crime. That's what this show is all about."
I'm surprised by the choice, too.

KodaRuss

Really excited for this, my wife and I will be recording and watching on Wednesdays because of our schedule. FX is kicking ass right now, loved Fargo, cant wait for this.

Brandson

I was in grade 9 (in Canada) by the time the trial ended. It was a big deal here too. My teacher wheeled a tv into our classroom so we could watch the verdict live. Every single person in my class immediately thought the verdict was total BS. That O.J.'s team managed to convince the jury to disregard the DNA evidence was unbelievable.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Not sold on Cuba being cast as OJ, but i remarked to my wife how fitting the other castings are, particularily for Marcia Clarke. Great to hear these reviews, too. We gonna watch.

Sloane

Banned
Been looking forward to it, although I'm not quite sure what to make of it. Reviews sound good, cast looks ace, and the story itself is certainly, well, "interesting". Ryan Murphy though...

But I'll check it out. FX usually knows their shit.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
The first trailer looked silly, so I'm happily surprised it might actually be good.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Surprised by the good reviews so far. The cast to me seems very bizarre, like something you'd see in a Lifetime movie. Might check it out if it continues to do well.

Edit: ^Ha

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I wasn't planning on watching this, but the reviews have piqued my interest. Is anyone else going to check it out?
I've been staunchly disinterested due to Ryan Murphy, but the critical reaction has been wearing me down some. At least he didn't write any of it. I might cave and check it out.

maxcriden

They managed to work in a Kim Kardashian reference even though she was like 9 at the time.

Ah, gotcha. Thanks. I guess I'm not sure what the word 'fuckery' even means. Was Kim Kardashian famous at the time of the trial because of her father? Or was she not paid any mind back then...?

I've been staunchly disinterested due to Ryan Murphy, but the critical reaction has been wearing me down some. At least he didn't write any of it. I might cave and check it out.

This is where I'm at, too. Except fairly sure I will check it out...but...like you...wary of Murphy's output.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Ah, gotcha. Thanks. I guess I'm not sure what the word 'fuckery' even means. Was Kim Kardashian famous at the time of the trial because of her father? Or was she not paid any mind back then...?
Fairly certain she was virtually nothing until the sex tape. I could be wrong, I try my best to know as little as possible about that family.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Was Kim Kardashian famous at the time of the trial because of her father? Or was she not paid any mind back then...?

Most people wouldn't have even known she existed. The name was associated more with her father than her back then.

A few more reviews:

- YahooTV:
By hour two, however, my misgivings had melted away. This so-called “limited series” takes the facts of the Simpson case and, by bending and shaping the emphases of those facts, turns it into a startlingly stirring critique of racism, sexism, and the judicial system that still resonates today.
- Emily Nussbaum's review for The New Yorker:
As one might expect of a Ryan Murphy production, particularly one done in collaboration with the writers of “Ed Wood,” “American Crime Story” is filled with dark humor, including a few camp touches. Yet the series is not, in the first six episodes sent to critics, crude or cartoonish but ideologically and emotionally nuanced, with each episode providing a shift in perspective, as if turning a daisy wheel of empathy.
- IndieWire
Writers Scott Alexander and Larry Karaszewski resist the temptation to caricature the case and its sprawling network of participants. In fact, "American Crime Story" is surprisingly precise, even intimate, filtering the trial's sociopolitical implications through the personal experiences of two key players: defense attorney Johnnie Cochran (Courtney B. Vance) and prosecutor Marcia Clark (Sarah Paulson).

Memles

They managed to work in a Kim Kardashian reference even though she was like 9 at the time.

I know some critics have responded really negatively to the insertion of the Kardashians, but it worked for me: Robert Kardashian is valuable angle into this story, key events in the story unfold in a house owned by the family, and I do think the series' few actual moments involving the Kardashian kids are thematically relevant given the series' interest in the role of celebrity in this case (and the role it played in our larger understanding of how celebrity culture functions in news reporting).

It's definitely more on-the-nose than the rest of the storytelling, and I can see where those people are coming from, but it more or less meshed with my read on the rest of the series, which really is tremendous television.

KodaRuss

I thought this was going to be pretty bad, but might need to check it out after seeing all these positive reviews.

Yeah, I'm baffled by it, but it sounds like it's worth a look.

Yes. His performance has been polarizing in the reviews. Some love it, some hate it.

Huh, didn't expect this kind of acclaim.

Have yall seen any of the commercials? I thought it was a joke when I first heard about it but the commercial/teasers have been extremely strong.

I was in 3rd grade when this was going on and we listened to the verdict on the radio in class. Sounds like they have done the story justice.

Corpekata

Banned
Seems like a lot of reviews pan Travolta in this as the major weak link, unsurprisingly. For all the "big stars" it seems like most of the positive response is for Paulson and Vance.

Top Bottom