• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Song above you... Rate it!!!

sorry I hated that and stopped after 5 minutes 2/10

Metronomy - The Bay

Don't generally like replying to posts that rated my pick, I consider it a little rude. But as this thread is emptier than Baldricks head I feel ok to just carry on....

As for the tune, it's like a poor mans Foals. I'm trying to deal with anyone giving Nina Simone, one of the greatest African American artists of all time a 2/10. As such I'm trying to not get hung up on that and hate it just because... saying that it's not very good, I'll give it 5/10, listenable on the radio, but I wouldn't buy it.

For my pick the band and tune that they are trying to be. The Foals- Spanish Sahara

Manoko

Don't generally like replying to posts that rated my pick, I consider it a little rude. But as this thread is emptier than Baldricks head I feel ok to just carry on....

As for the tune, it's like a poor mans Foals. I'm trying to deal with anyone giving Nina Simone, one of the greatest African American artists of all time a 2/10. As such I'm trying to not get hung up on that and hate it just because... saying that it's not very good, I'll give it 5/10, listenable on the radio, but I wouldn't buy it.

For my pick the band and tune that they are trying to be. The Foals- Spanish Sahara

Very relaxing and trippy at the same time.
8/10

This is my pick: Cream on Chrome - Ratatat

Very relaxing and trippy at the same time.
8/10

This is my pick: Cream on Chrome - Ratatat

I know I shouldn't comment on previous tunes, but I fucking love this, never heard of them, thankyou!

7/10. Not the kind of music I listen to, but I think it's good at it's style and have a good mood.

My choice:
Yellowcard - Gifts and Courses

Appeals to my punk roots, don't know this band, have they been around long? I feel they could be brilliant. 8/10

Fuck! Forgot to post a tune! Doh!

Manoko

I know I shouldn't comment on previous tunes, but I fucking love this, never heard of them, thankyou!

You're welcome man !
Not many people know about Ratatat, which is a shame considering the quality of their music.

Try listening to Loud Pipes, to my mind it's their best song to date.

injurai

Banned
Fuck! Forgot to post a tune! Doh!

8/10 Really enjoying this. I don't listen to nearly enough rock from this era.

I actually wish I set a rule of this thread to wait for at least 3 new posts, then rate all three posts above you. So each song would get more feedback from what others think of it.

Baths - Lovely Bloodflow

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

AcridMeat

Banned

Brilliant! love some drum and bass, this is great because it seems to mix it up with a more trance like vibe. I wonder is 'Strange Fruit' a reference to John Peels record label or the Billie Holiday song?

9/10 will listen to more.

Keeping in the electronic genre, this is the tune that moved me from Punk, Indie and Metal over to dance in the mid 90's. DJ Tim & DJ Misjah - Access

*edit* due to drunkenness, I'm guessing it's a reference to both as Strange Fruit Records was named for the song......

UrbanRats

Brilliant! love some drum and bass, this is great because it seems to mix it up with a more trance like vibe. I wonder is 'Strange Fruit' a reference to John Peels record label or the Billie Holiday song?

9/10 will listen to more.

Keeping in the electronic genre, this is the tune that moved me from Punk, Indie and Metal over to dance in the mid 90's. DJ Tim & DJ Misjah - Access

*edit* due to drunkenness, I'm guessing it's a reference to both as Strange Fruit Records was named for the song......
Nostalgic. I liked it.
7/10.

-

Current 93 & HOH - Crowley mass Unveiled.

AcridMeat

Banned
Took me by surprise this morning. Interesting song, dragged for me a little bit but it was enjoyable. I feel like I'm missing some context.

New Daughter song is great. It reminds me of Mirrorball from Blur's album this year.

This is just a one song thing but while I'm here I also was shown music from the Silent Hill OSTs. Never played the games so I had no idea just how freaking good it is. Terror in the Depths of the Fog

C4Lukins

Took me by surprise this morning. Interesting song, dragged for me a little bit but it was enjoyable. I feel like I'm missing some context.

New Daughter song is great. It reminds me of Mirrorball from Blur's album this year.

This is just a one song thing but while I'm here I also was shown music from the Silent Hill OSTs. Never played the games so I had no idea just how freaking good it is. Terror in the Depths of the Fog

That New Daughter song is great. I need to look them up. Sorry I have no song to offer. Move on without me.

TheDanger

Banned
Not a fan. And I'm not just being shitty due to earlier choices. I really don't get it. 2/10

Some grunge. because why not?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pU6KhFWvKPM

And please TheDanger show a little restraint and let someone else reply.

There is little hope for you if that is a 2/10 :) dunno why the hell you consider it rude if I rate this song now, but I don't really care as the thread is pretty much dead.

This is something I would have liked at 13, nothing special, but alright 6/10

Please you rate it if you get the chance:

Laghonia - Trouble Child

Fonds

Probably the first Gravenhurst song I've heard, but it's right up my alley. Love how dark and intense it is. 8,5/10
And now I have to read he died last year at 37... sucks :(

Sigur Rós - Ný Batterí

I haven't listened to Sigur Ros a lot. I really do enjoy it though. There is a great buildup in this song. It reminds me a bit of Storm Corrosion, a colloboration between Akerfeldt (opeth) and Wilson (Porcupine Tree). That's a bonus for ya ;)
8/10

My contribution:
Violent Soho
You thought grunge was over? WRONG! Australia has a bunch of great grunge bands alive and kicking.

I haven't listened to Sigur Ros a lot. I really do enjoy it though. There is a great buildup in this song. It reminds me a bit of Storm Corrosion, a colloboration between Akerfeldt (opeth) and Wilson (Porcupine Tree). That's a bonus for ya ;)
8/10

My contribution:
Violent Soho
You thought grunge was over? WRONG! Australia has a bunch of great grunge bands alive and kicking.

Fucking Aye!!! Would I have heard this on triple M? I sort of recognise it but can't place it. Anyway love it 8/10. Must admit, moving to Aus has brought a lot of 80's, 90's rock and Indie back into my life that I'd forgotten about. The radio stations here are just a lot more open to alternative stuff than back in the UK.

Anyway, probably my favourite band and songwriter. Attacking a well known UK personality at the smash hits awards may have contributed to the lack of air time they got in subsequent years..... Still they continued to have a massive cult following and only stopped gigging a year or so ago. Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine - Bloodsport For All

UrbanRats

Fucking Aye!!! Would I have heard this on triple M? I sort of recognise it but can't place it. Anyway love it 8/10. Must admit, moving to Aus has brought a lot of 80's, 90's rock and Indie back into my life that I'd forgotten about. The radio stations here are just a lot more open to alternative stuff than back in the UK.

Anyway, probably my favourite band and songwriter. Attacking a well known UK personality at the smash hits awards may have contributed to the lack of air time they got in subsequent years..... Still they continued to have a massive cult following and only stopped gigging a year or so ago. Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine - Bloodsport For All

Not exactly my genre, but i liked it, especially the finale, fade out though, it's a big no-no for me.
7/10.
-
La Dusseldorf - Time.
Here's some Krautrock.

Thanks for sharing, I like this song especially the instruments.

I'm Gonna Be Myself by The Sheepdogs

Listened a few days ago and wasn't keen, came back a few times and it's a definite grower, now finding myself youtube'ing their other stuff. 7/10 only because it didn't instantly grab me. He's got a fucking great voice, not so much on this but on other tracks he really pushes it.

Anyway it got me thinking about pushing vocals to the edge, this track is sung by one guy, he does reggae, ragga, metal and everything else, bloke has rubber vocal chords. Plus I like to put this on in the car full blast when I'm driving one of my eldest daughters dates....

Skindred-Nobody

julrik

Listened a few days ago and wasn't keen, came back a few times and it's a definite grower, now finding myself youtube'ing their other stuff. 7/10 only because it didn't instantly grab me. He's got a fucking great voice, not so much on this but on other tracks he really pushes it.

Anyway it got me thinking about pushing vocals to the edge, this track is sung by one guy, he does reggae, ragga, metal and everything else, bloke has rubber vocal chords. Plus I like to put this on in the car full blast when I'm driving one of my eldest daughters dates....

Skindred-Nobody
Not really my kind of music, but a pretty cool song nonetheless. And as you say, that guy's vocals are insane. 6/10 for me.

Now over to something completely different, and from my home country Norway. High volume is recommended.

Carl Louis (feat. Ary) - Telescope

It's not often that I'm in the mood for that kind of outlaw-y singer-songwriter stuff. I would like it more if it was sung by an old guy with a worn voice. Not really feeling it today but it's not really my kind of music so it's a bit unfair. 6/10

Next:
David Bowie - 'Tis a Pity She Was a Whore

7/10 I love Bowie, this isn't his best work and the Blackstar album is still growing on me. No doubt that score will jump up as time goes on.

Just because I heard it tonight and I feel it's one of the most important UK tracks of the 90's.

Drunk add. This song always resonated with me, I moved to London from South Yorkshire (Where Pulp are from) and found I wanted to fit in, I acted posher, I pulled posh people, I did things that ultimately made me feel ashamed that I didn't want to be associated with 'Common People'. Then I grew the fuck up. I met my wife who was a Doctor but came from a background as working class as me and yet studied medicine at St Andrews and remained the person she was brought up to be. It gave me a clarity of meaning I never had. I saw my working class background as a strength and have been proud of it ever since. I hate the concept of classes based on educational or financial opportunities, if I've done one thing with my life it's pass that view on to my children. drunk sign off......

Ricker

7/10 I love Bowie, this isn't his best work and the Blackstar album is still growing on me. No doubt that score will jump up as time goes on.

Just because I heard it tonight and I feel it's one of the most important UK tracks of the 90's.

Drunk add. This song always resonated with me, I moved to London from South Yorkshire (Where Pulp are from) and found I wanted to fit in, I acted posher, I pulled posh people, I did things that ultimately made me feel ashamed that I didn't want to be associated with 'Common People'. Then I grew the fuck up. I met my wife who was a Doctor but came from a background as working class as me and yet studied medicine at St Andrews and remained the person she was brought up to be. It gave me a clarity of meaning I never had. I saw my working class background as a strength and have been proud of it ever since. I hate the concept of classes based on educational or financial opportunities, if I've done one thing with my life it's pass that view on to my children. drunk sign off......

The power of music...never heard this song before but I liked it... 7/10.

Speaking of songs you guys probably never heard before ;) this is from a Metal group from Quebec.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpFLGlFtZxw

The power of music...never heard this song before but I liked it... 7/10.

Speaking of songs you guys probably never heard before ;) this is from a Metal group from Quebec.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akQeJohBECw

Don't like replying to people who rated my choice, but it's been 4 days.... Anyway I fucking loved that! Couldn't understand a word, but all good 8/10.

My choice is The Descendents - Clean Sheets A truly iconic US punk band, probably influenced more alternative bands in the US than anyone. I loved how they stuck to pop style topics of love, heartbreak and teen angst when most 70's-80's punk bands were trying to take on 'the Man'. They maintained a certain innocence, which they maintain today.

Top Bottom