• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Thread of Growing Epic Beards

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrPirate

Banned
I was one of those guys rocking the full moustache and beard at 11-12 years old.

I'm definitely in.

What's epic about my beard is that I get white hairs in it (I'm only 21 though) so it makes me look mature.

pirahna1

I haven't trimmed my beard for about a month now. I'm just letting it grow full out. Add to that I haven't gotten a hair cut in close to 2 years and I'm all about representing Jesus - or a hobo.

Pics when I get my camera (waiting on student loans).

DrPirate said:
What's epic about my beard is that I get white hairs in it (I'm only 21 though) so it makes me look mature.
Heh, me too. I thought it was really strange (I'm 25) and related to stress. But it might just be natural - I'm not really all that stressful. Seems I have a few white hairs on my head too. I'll be rocking some classy salt and pepper hair in my late 30's - I can see it now.

A little scruff is fine. And by fine I mean fiiiiiine. But beards are gross. Sorry guiz. :( Scrape that shit off your face.

BTW, I wasn't referring to you guys personally. I see you guys posted pictures that I didn't even look at. I'm just saying I hate beards on guys for the most part. I wasn't commenting on any of your looks.

grumble

Ducky_McGee said:
A little scruff is fine. And by fine I mean fiiiiiine. But beards are gross. Sorry guiz. :( Scrape that shit off your face.

Well, I'm up to one girl's standards! I won't join a beard crew due to job limitations.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Ducky_McGee said:

What? Go away...

I'm in full beard mode. I have decided to combine Octobeard and Novembeard for two months of pure awesome. Apart from sculpting the neckline (which I'm pretty good at now) I'm not shaving for two months minimum. I'll shape after four maybe five weeks... I always get a pretty good grow and then bitch out. Not this time. I'm all in.

:lol

mr.beers

Ionas said:
30jlggp.png

1966-24484.gif

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Ducky_McGee said:
BTW, I wasn't referring to you guys personally. I see you guys posted pictures that I didn't even look at. I'm just saying I hate beards on guys for the most part. I wasn't commenting on any of your looks.
Some people look terrible without beards. Beards also give character and add something dynamic. But I understand, it's your taste after all.

Raistlin

I'm always sporting scruff of some sort.

However, I'm all in if anyone wants to do a playoff beard (hockey tradition). Granted, that's assuming the Sabres make it in.

desertmunky

Neo Member
Ok I have to chime in on this cuz this is my kinda thread. I trim mine every few months just to keep it evenly squared on the bottom. Now that it's winter I'm going to grow the side out (until my wife tells me to trim it up lol). Presently I've been growing it for about two years. I eventually want it to look like the love child of Chris Adler's (Lamb of God) and Zakk Wylde's (Ozzy & Black Label Society). I"ll post some pics later.

Ducky_McGee said:

I bet you make your boyfriend get a chest wax. How old are you?

Can I still participate in Beardtober and No Shave November if I started 5 months early?

2hq8ghu.jpg

I've been able to grow since I was in the 8th grade. I think I'm going to go as Grizzly Adams for Halloween - all I need to do is put some flour in my beard to lighten it up and then put on a coonskin cap to hide the fact that I don't have the long wavy hair that he had.

No thanks. I can't stand growing my beard out - it feels too itchy. I always have to shave every 2 days because it gets to that point that fast.

I don't know how you guys do it. Is the itchiness something you get used to or what? :lol

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Revolutionary said:
I don't know how you guys do it. Is the itchiness something you get used to or what? :lol

Yeah, your skin becomes acclimated to it. Also, shampooing and conditioning (or just plain soaping) your beard is recommended.

BlueTsunami said:
Yeah, your skin becomes acclimated to it. Also, shampooing and conditioning (or just plain soaping) your beard is recommended.

I use a honey and sandalwood bar soap on mine and it seems to keep the itchiness and flaking to a minimum. It also has a nice, manly, musky smell that I appreciate.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Commodore_Perry said:
Can I still participate in Beardtober and No Shave November if I started 5 months early?

I've been able to grow since I was in the 8th grade. I think I'm going to go as Grizzly Adams for Halloween - all I need to do is put some flour in my beard to lighten it up and then put on a coonskin cap to hide the fact that I don't have the long wavy hair that he had.

Great beard!

Mash

Commodore_Perry said:

2hq8ghu.jpg

Holy shit. That is awesome.

Commodore_Perry said:

2hq8ghu.jpg

Holy shit! ;_; I want your genes so badly.

Zeke

bearded for life no way in hell I'd shave it off. Plus quite a few girls say it fits me well with my long hair.

Zeke

I'll never get some of gaf, can't grow a beard cause its itchy but you guys will shave your balls. I imagine having itchy balls is so much worse then a little itch here and there on your face.

NotWii

Banned
Cleanshaven/Stubble FTW
I know people that have found entire meals stuck in their beards

Ionas said:
That'll make the colonel sanders costume pretty difficult...

please, like you've never shaved your beard into something creative and kept it for a few days, just for the hell of it
Yeah, Hitler moustache in the shower :p

JavaMava

Girlfriend has me keep a beard. I keep it trimmed to about 1/2 inch. It's thick and full. I shave the neck beard of course. I'm going to shave handlebar mustache and side burns and a mohawk for zombie walk though.

I think Commodore Perry wins the beard contest.

Jesus dude you could hide a family of four in there.:lol

Mine comes in good, but that... that's magnificent.

Ecto311

b6ty85.jpg

About this time last year. I don't have a recent picture but it is a tad smaller right now. I don't really plan on it, this time of year just brings it out. Lots of shit talking also about beards. I talk shit about things I suck at also.

soultron

Banned
Thunder Monkey said:
But I'm loyal, fuzzy, and I purr when people scratch my fur.

What's not to love about that?
What do gay guys call bearded guys... "bears," right?

DA BEARS!

Also, Commodore fucking wins. That is such an awesome beard. The beaver panel totally matches.

I haven't shaved since the 23rd of September and my beard comes in patchy at best so I look pretty beat up right now but I love it. I will probably continue on until the beginning of December.

Is there a way to get rid of patchiness? I can seem to get a nice full face of hair within a week, but beyond that it seems to take awhile to fill in... and it grows so differently that I constantly have to trim areas otherwise I look like a hobo or something..lol heres a older pic... I since have shaved... gonna start growing again though

2r6mlgz.jpg

dorkimoe

i can barely grow anything

but i went since Halo odst so September 23rd until today. (new girl didnt like it)

i dont think i saved any pics though, its pretty pathetic

ninj4junpei said:
Holy shit! ;_; I want your genes so badly.

It's not actually all it's cracked up to be. My beard was probably a contributing factor as to why I got laid off, when I do shave I spend a fortune on razors, and now that I'm unemployed I have no money to buy razors and the beard makes it a lot harder to find a respectable job. I'm seriously considering going downtown and holding a cardboard sign that says something to the effect of, "Fight the man, save the beard, please offer employment".

etiolate

Banned
My facial hair patterns flux here and there. I'm letting it go bearded this autumn after just having a goatee over the summer.

ahoyboy1.jpg

Mar

Commodore_Perry said:

2hq8ghu.jpg

Dude that's a fucken awesome beard.

Commodore_Perry said:

2hq8ghu.jpg

HOLY SHIT!

Manliest man on board confirmed. :O

1grl8o.jpg

I shaved my beard off in May and it was the worst decision I've ever made. Luckily it grew back much faster. For those of you with full beards, what do you think of letting the mustache grow over your upper lip? I'd like mine to look fuller, but even having it longer on the sides of my mouth drives me nuts. Having it over my lip would make eating and drinking even more of a challenge. I really want to grow mine out more but I start a new job Monday so I have to avoid looking like a complete hobo.

And for those of you that can't grow one, don't fret too much. I couldn't grow one at all till I was 24. It literally seemed like I woke up one day and could grow one, so you never know.

Jugendstil said:
For those of you with full beards, what do you think of letting the mustache grow over your upper lip?
Don't do it. At random times I would get a hair stuck in the top of a soda can as I was drinking it and get yanked out as I pulled it away. Hurt like fuck all.

I'd love to rock a beard like this fellow (Paul Malinowski, great bassist), but I'm not a rock star and my job (hell, my wife too) would probably be scared of me.

l_7488a107783e467204c4ecbc2a3a2036.jpg

Commodore_Perry said:

2hq8ghu.jpg

You win. The end.

On another note I am 23 now and over the last year I have gone from not being able to grow a bear at all to having some facial hair (though its kinda ginger). Will it just stay or get thicker and thicker until my 30 somethings... One day I would like to grow manly woleverine siderburns but that day seems like a distant dream now :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom