• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Verge: Sony wants 60fps PS5 Pro ‘Enhanced’ games, but it’s happy to settle for less

It uses the same CPU it will always fall short on CPU limited games.
Such is the inherent problem with Pro consoles, which is why after PS4 Pro/ One X I will not be buying into them ever again. Much better to just enjoy the console you have for 7 years, and buy the next one when the new consoles launch their next-gen.

Last edited:
Question: Does anyone know if Sony ever set aside money to cover the costs for developers doing PS4 Pro patches on existing games?

I work as a manager at a software company. When a customer says "We want this new functionality that you don't have", we estimate the time it would take to develop and test, quote them $150 an hour for the cost, and they typically need to pay for it (not always, but often).

If Sony just puts their Pro console out and doesn't give developers some money, I could see it being a tough sell to go back and update an existing PS5 game with additional features. My first question as a manager would be "How is doing this work going to result in more money coming in?"

What you're failing to realize is that when people buy PS5 Pros they're going to focus on buying games that are PS5 enhanced. So even if a game is 3 years old, doing a relatively cheap PS5 Pro update to it can generate significantly higher sales for the game.

It's the same reason why companies like CDPR do next-gen patches to old games like The Witcher 3.

It's not just so that people who own the game will revisit it. That is probably the lowest priority, unless there is a sequel. For example Insomniac trying to get people to revisit Ratchet and Clank 2016 in hopes that maybe they'll want to buy Rift Apart if they never bought it. They had a pre-order exclusive weapon that you couldn't get no matter what unless you pre-ordered and there must have been an internal battle on when they could break that promise without offending those who pre-ordered the game or by devaluing pre-order bonuses moving forward. They landed on 8 years...

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
While Sony wants this new mode in games, the PS5 Pro “Enhanced” label will still be available for a variety of other scenarios that include 30fps games.
Well, there it is. called it as soon as i saw that CPU 'upgrade'.

The current games with 60 fps modes should be fine. But games currently struggling to do 60 fps like dragons dogma, starfield, gotham knights, and whatever other stuff the future holds now that we are finally getting next gen only games will not give you that 60 fps mode. i guess these games only make up like 1% of the total games available for now, but in a few years who knows.

geary

My question is what stopped Sony to release in 2020 the PS5 with the PS5 Pro specs? Is not like the hardware didn't existed then.
Could all this mid-gen refresh be premediated? Tinfoil hat on....

Last edited:
It's hilarious that we're still having the same arguments about this when hardly any games are CPU-limited this generation, but we're going to pretend that they are or will be so people can downplay the PS5 Pro.

It's one of the most revealing arguments I've seen on gaming forums, that Sony somehow should have either forewent releasing a Pro model or they should have focused on doubling the CPU so that the games (less than 5) would somehow have a 60 fps mode on the Pro that don't on the base unit.

The price of such a device would have been astronomical and the benefits extremely limited.

They made the correct choice to focus on GPU and AI upscaling.

Mind you these are the same people who were claiming that Microsoft's plug in proprietary storage expansion was the better solution than sony's off the shelf storage solution that required installation, but fast forward and storage for PS5 is significantly cheaper than Xbox and installation takes all of 2 minutes.

On Amazon - 139.99 for 1TB on Xbox and 250 for 2TB
On Amazon - 80 for 1TB on PS5 125 for 2TB if you go with the cheapest options

But please keep the same energy for the PS5 Pro... it's going to make excellent evidence for who to laugh at going forward.

NEbeast

Already trying to cushion the blow huh
Feeling Dumb Jim Carrey GIF

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
My question is what stopped Sony to release in 2020 the PS5 with the PS5 Pro specs? Is not like the hardware didn't existed then.
Cost plus TDP. PS5 already hits 230 watts in some games. Presumably when the GPU is at its peak clocks. Thats 10 tflops.

If you wanted a 6800 equivalent we are getting today, that would easily go over 350 watts. And likely cost $700. Releasing it 4 years later lets them wait for a smaller node which saves on power consumption.

AMD and Sony also didnt have any machine learning upscaling solutions back then. Apparently Sony has added some kind of hardware in there for that. That tech didnt exist back then or even today. It will be introduced later this year to AMD's RDNA4 line.

The RT hardware in these GPUs have also been enhanced. That tech did not exist back in 2020. Same as above. The PS5 will outperform the 6800 in RT games even if it matches it in standard non RT games.

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Consoles aren't created in a few months.

The PS5 Pro will have some bits n pieces of RDNA 3 and maybe 4? Or RDNA 3 with bits n pieces of RDNA 4? I cant really remember right now.

That wasn't available in 2019. (AFAIK the PS5 and Series consoles chips were all finalized in 2019)

Last edited:

rm082e

BLOODBORNE 4K 120FPS ULTRA BOOST CUM MODE

The only explanation for not getting a patch years ago is they're planning to do a remake, just like Demon's Souls. If they patch the original with a higher frame rate and native resolution, they know most people won't buy the remake. They'd rather sell you a new $70 game than give you a free patch.

Personally, Bloodborne is one of my all time favorites, so I would happily pay them for a remake if it's as good as Demon's Souls.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
The only explanation for not getting a patch years ago is they're planning to do a remake, just like Demon's Souls. If they patch the original with a higher frame rate and native resolution, they know most people won't buy the remake. They'd rather sell you a new $70 game than give you a free patch.

Personally, Bloodborne is one of my all time favorites, so I would happily pay them for a remake if it's as good as Demon's Souls.
can be 170$ for all I care. I will still get it.
UNLESS.... bluepoint will ruin art again... demons souls is amazing but I dont like some choices. The problem is that original ps3 version is not avaialble alongside
Bloodborne really only needs 4k + 60fps + further lod fixed up. Art is perfect

People don't recognize that the PS5 and PS4 are in completely different situations.

With the PS4 so many games had a locked framerate as design and were locked at 30.

This generation almost all games have a locked 60 fps mode and are probably designed to run unlocked framerates with the anticipation of a Pro console.

Nearly every game on PS5 has a performance mode and that is the mode we have to focus on when discussing the PS5 Pro.

What the Pro will do is take the performance mode already running at 60 fps and boost the graphics towards fidelity mode with the beefed up GPU and AI upscaling and add raytracing where appropriate.

The 60 fps games are already there.

So many games use dynamic resolution in order to hit these framerates... that won't be the case as much with the PS5 Pro.

It's crazy to see the push back on this.

I'm day 1

LordOfChaos

Pretty much a "duh", non news. They'd prefer developers target 60, but they're still allowed to try to do something more with double the render time per frame at 30, or else not be penalized for not being able to get it there.

Good thing is we already went through this same process with the PS4 Pro. First, there will be promises or showcases of many improvements, but overtime they will remain mostly the same (base vs pro)

Yeah, PSSR is Sony's upscaling tech. I'm guessing they took AMD's FSR and optimized it specifically for PS5 Pro. Most titles already have performance mode options. PS5 Pro, to me, just means devs will have to compromise less for it. I really don't see much in games these days that suggest they could not do 60fps.
From what's been said it's a custom upscaling technique and not an offshoot of FSR, at least that was covered in one of MLID's videos.

People don't recognize that the PS5 and PS4 are in completely different situations.

With the PS4 so many games had a locked framerate as design and were locked at 30.

This generation almost all games have a locked 60 fps mode and are probably designed to run unlocked framerates with the anticipation of a Pro console.

Nearly every game on PS5 has a performance mode and that is the mode we have to focus on when discussing the PS5 Pro.

What the Pro will do is take the performance mode already running at 60 fps and boost the graphics towards fidelity mode with the beefed up GPU and AI upscaling and add raytracing where appropriate.

So many games use dynamic resolution in order to hit these framerates... that won't be the case as much with the PS5 Pro.

I'm day 1

This post should be stuck on top of every PS5 Pro thread

It's hilarious that we're still having the same arguments about this when hardly any games are CPU-limited this generation, but we're going to pretend that they are or will be so people can downplay the PS5 Pro.

It's one of the most revealing arguments I've seen on gaming forums, that Sony somehow should have either forewent releasing a Pro model or they should have focused on doubling the CPU so that the games (less than 5) would somehow have a 60 fps mode on the Pro that don't on the base unit.

The price of such a device would have been astronomical and the benefits extremely limited.

Mind you these are the same people who were claiming that Microsoft's plug in proprietary storage expansion was the better solution than sony's off the shelf storage solution that required installation, but fast forward and storage for PS5 is significantly cheaper than Xbox and installation takes all of 2 minutes.

But please keep the same energy for the PS5 Pro... it's going to make excellent evidence for who to laugh at going forward.
Common sense tells us as we go further into the generation that more games will start to fully utilise these machines and 30fps becomes the norm. Also let's not forget GTAVI will be 30fps because of the limitations of the CPU.

Bernoulli

M2 slut

When games are CPU limited the PS5 has only 5TF :messenger_sunglasses:

Mortisfacio

I'll believe it when I see it. This gen was hyped as up to 4k/120fps by both Sony and Microsoft. We've seen a lot of unstable 30-60fps with resolutions sometimes as low as 648p (Jedi Survivor).

Common sense tells us as we go further into the generation that more games will start to fully utilise these machines and 30fps becomes the norm. Also let's not forget GTAVI will be 30fps because of the limitations of the CPU.

These machines are for the most part already fully utilized. People have this mistaken idea that games are designed the same way they were designed 15 years ago.

We have no idea what framerate GTA6 will be. Everything is pure speculation.

skit_data

Let's just calm down a bit regarding what it supposedly promises, the thing hasn't even been officially announced yet. All we're hearing is stuff meant for developers, not end consumers.

It's not like Sony themselves have gone out saying
"This thing eats things that eats monsters for breakfast for breakfast"
or something.

I'm day 1
Only some specific folks and outlets are trying to find imaginary flaws about the product. Oddly it's coming from xbox biased medias / people.

Top Bottom