• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Walking Dead: Season 2 - Reveal Teaser

iammeiam

Best part of the teaser is that it's essentially showing the first season as a happy time when things were bright and idyllic. How much more depressing can Clem's life possibly get, at this point?

Also happy with the choice to play as Clem--I think there's a lot she will be able to do, and if Telltale plays it right they can have a decent in-universe excuse whenever they need to railroad you in to something.

I also really don't play these games for the zombie killing experience, so I don't mind that Clem is less likely to go ape on a herd with a hammer.

I think that Tell Tale is challenging themselves by sticking with Clem and to make it as emotionally resonant as the first season. What other types of relationships can they focus on? How does a younger character deal with such a situation, will there be more stealth like Siren: Blood Curse? It would've been easier to go with a new cast, no baggage or continuity to think about.

Nope this is so much better. A new cast would have been terrible, as it is with any media when they jump to an entirely new cast. That's why Skins is such a garbage show.

Skins is bloody awful, no matter if the cast stayed the same.

Zee-Row

Banned
"Clementine is a much better character than Daryl."

I said that on Facebook and i got so much hate from my friends.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Not super happy about them staying with the story of Clementine, but oh well.

Pretty much how I feel. I loved the story arc and conclusion of season 1, I feel like it kind of cheapens the experience and bond I built between Lee and Clem to play as her now. I was hoping season 2 would just include a cameo to let me know more of how her story turned out.

Yeah and I mean WE ARE PLAYING AS A GIRL!

They might as well just throw all there money down the drain LOL, right bro?

I know you think you're sounding like totally insanely smart and snarky, moving quick and pretty. But last time I checked, bro, a kid is not by consequence a girl. Not even in the urban dictionary.

Lol oh my god. The comments in this thread are beyond cringeworthy.

Yes I imagine that scenario possibilities of playing as a kid are probably just immense, you wouldn't believe the kind of shit they can get away these days at the ESRB. I'm sure anything dealing with sex and violence are going to feel like non issues when face with the proposition that the main character is a child. Hell if they add in enough swearing it's going to really pop and get the rating down to a T.

kodecraft

Yeah and I mean WE ARE PLAYING AS A GIRL!

They might as well just throw all there money down the drain LOL, right bro?

I agree

2 things I am basically reading here..."oh no we got to play a minority again?" "thats a kid" "and its a girl" is what some of these post basically translate to me with this whole "wish it was new characters" stuff.

Cess007

Loved season 1. But now my hype for season 2 is dead because of Clementine, I mean really... a kid? Dead on arrival.

Your hype died 'cause you play with a kid? You're joking right?

And then people wonder why publishers are reluctant to approve game covers with women or anyone without a gun.

Your hype died 'cause you play with a kid? You're joking right?

And then people wonder why publishers are reluctant to approve game covers with women or anyone without a gun.

I guess a zombie killing, human killing kid is just the kind of spark that is missing. They already have the hat, why not add the bat.

I agree

2 things I am basically reading here..."oh no we got to play a minority again?" "thats a kid" "and its a girl" is what some of these post basically translate to me with this whole "wish it was new characters" stuff.

#DealWithIt

I know birth rates aren't what they used to be, but I don't know if they quite fit the criteria for minority that you are implying.

Lautaro

We clearly need a character that is a leader and that can kill walkers single handedly... so innovative. I can't wait for more combat QTE, that's the best part of the game.

WTH people!!

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
I agree

#DealWithIt

Who said they don't want to play as Clem because she's a minority? Since the answer is "no one", why have you made this leap?

Heimbeck

Banned
I know you think you're sounding like totally insanely smart and snarky, moving quick and pretty. But last time I checked, bro, a kid is not by consequence a girl. Not even in the urban dictionary.

You get my point though right? If it's written well it shouldn't matter and you are writing it off before you even know anything.

Someone please tell me this is a sarcastic post.

Please tell me the reason why you want that to be true, is because you find joy in the gameplay possibilities of playing as a child.

You get my point though right? If it's written well it shouldn't matter and you are writing it off before you even know anything.

I get what you tried, and agree that even a game where you play as a home cat can be amazing if it's well done.

"Clementine is a much better character than Daryl."

I said that on Facebook and i got so much hate from my friends.

better written sure. but i'd much rather hear daryl talk than clem. she served her purpose in the first game. don't need to hear this shit anymore. it's not cute it's just grating now. fuck i wish they just aged her at least a few more years.

kodecraft

I know birth rates aren't what they used to be, but I don't know if they quite fit the criteria for minority that you are implying.

In the games world maybe, but the one we live in...

Who said they don't want to play as Clem because she's a minority? Since the answer is "no one", why have you made this leap?

Just saying it before it can be "implied".

Besides that, I am looking forward to the game with all of you who don't mind continuing Clem's story.

Heimbeck

Banned
Please tell me the reason why you want that to be true, is because you find joy in the gameplay possibilities of playing as a child.

I get what you tried, and agree that even a game where you play as a home cat can be amazing if it's well done.

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/girl?q=girl

You are making this girl thing a bigger issue than it is.

Also: http://walkingdead.wikia.com/wiki/Clementine

In the first paragraph it says she is a "girl"

ALSO: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilEB4KTTOIo

What does it say in the description? Hmm I believe it says "The Walking Dead: Season Two continues the story of Clementine, a young GIRL"

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/girl?q=girl

You are making this girl thing a bigger issue than it is.

I don't know in what world you live in, but I live in a world where one of the most critically acclaimed and commercially successful games in the year 2013, is The Last of Us. A game where indeed you get to play as a girl. It's my GOTY along with Bioshock so far.

My problem is that Clementine is a kid, and I don't like playing as a kid in general, but more importantly I don't see the appeal of playing as a kid in a Walking Dead game. You want to argue, you argue that. Don't come on me with that bullshit about my problem being that Clementine is a girl.

Also: http://walkingdead.wikia.com/wiki/Clementine

In the first paragraph it says she is a "girl"

ALSO: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilEB4KTTOIo

What does it say in the description? Hmm I believe it says "The Walking Dead: Season Two continues the story of Clementine, a young GIRL"

3561845507rpv.jpg

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member

I want it to be true because of the story possibilities, considering they're not even changing the gameplay all that much.

But after some thought, I can see why you would be bothered by playing as a child in a game with this setting.

Heimbeck

Banned
I don't know in what world you live in, but I live in a world where one of the most critically acclaimed and commercially successful games in the year 2013, is The Last of Us. A game where indeed you get to play as a girl. It's my GOTY along with Bioshock so far.

My problem is that Clementine is a kid, and I don't like playing as a kid in general, but more importantly I don't see the appeal of playing as a kid in a Walking Dead game. You want to argue, you argue that. Don't come on me with that bullshit about my problem being that Clementine is a girl.

3561845507rpv.jpg

Never mind when I said girl earlier I meant as a joke which you clearly didn't get.
Obviously I thought you thought Clem wasn't a girl because she was a kid.

TUrns out you just misunderstood the initial joke and then I misunderstood you not understanding it.

So yeah :/

Scrabble

Yes I imagine that scenario possibilities of playing as a kid are probably just immense, you wouldn't believe the kind of shit they can get away these days at the ESRB. I'm sure anything dealing with sex and violence are going to feel like non issues when face with the proposition that the main character is a child. Hell if they add in enough swearing it's going to really pop and get the rating down to a T.

Because there have never been good movies or novels that center around a kid, that have also dealt with mature themes. The fuck are you saying? Playing as Clem sounds like an awesome idea, just change the voice actress and we're good.

Lautaro

Because there have never been good movies or novels that center around a kid, that have also dealt with mature themes. The fuck are you saying? Playing as Clem sounds like an awesome idea, just change the voice actress and we're good.

I didn't knew the VA was an issue for some people. I doubt they'll change her though, that would be a slap in the face for most of the fans, I think.

The joy of the first season was putting myself in Lee's shoes and making him react/say how I would react in the same situation (within the limits of the game). It was a very enjoyable and immersive experience, not in the least because of the need to protect the young girl.

Given how highly regarded that experience was (apart from technically) it is only natural that people would be left wanting more. As good as the writing in a game centered around Clem is, that level of immersion just isn't going to be the same for many with a young female character, especially one that we are used to regarding in a certain way.

That is perhaps a rather selfish or unrepresentative point of view (keep in mind this is a mature rated title), but it doesn't make it any less valid when discussing disappointment. What it means is we are going from a game that was good in a certain way, to a game that is potentially good, but with a quite different level of involvement.

Hopefully it all works out in the end. For the record I expect the focus to switch to somebody like Molly for most of the episodes.

Scrabble

I didn't knew the VA was an issue for some people. I doubt they'll change her though, that would be a slap in the face for most of the fans, I think.

It's not, it's apparently just me that thought she sounded awful and totally unconvincing. So I'll doubt they'll change her. Clem's a great character, but every time she spoke I was always taken out of the experience by just how laughable the performance was.

Scrabble

The joy of the first season was putting myself in Lee's shoes and making him react/say how I would react in the same situation (within the limits of the game). It was a very enjoyable and immersive experience, not in the least because of the need to protect the young girl.

Given how highly regarded that experience was (apart from technically) it is only natural that people would be left wanting more. As good as the writing in a game centered around Clem is, that level of immersion just isn't going to be the same for many with a young female character, especially one that we are used to regarding in a certain way.

That is perhaps a rather selfish or unrepresentative point of view, but it doesn't make it any less valid when discussing disappointment. What it means is we are going from a game that was good in a certain way, to a game that is potentially good, but with a quite different level of involvement.

Hopefully it all works out in the end.

hmm, good point. Also Lee was introduced as pretty much a blank slate for the player to put on whatever backstory and personality they wanted. I wander how much control we'll have as Clem as a character, with us already knowing who she is and what kind of background she has. They probably could of afforded to have made her a little older, maybe 15-16, so enough time we'll have passed for it to be essentially a new character.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
That's what made the story powerful. You molded her and guided her and made her ready to face the Zombie infested world. Whatever story they decide to tell with Clem at the helm is going to ruin and semblance of closure I had at the end of Season 1.

It's retroactively made Season 1 worse in my eyes.

I'm getting more disappointed as I read this thread, because I can't shake these feelings... Reading them from other people is validating my initial reaction to playing as Clem.

I'll still be super hyped because I loved season 1 and I'm absolutely on board for more, but this is not the direction I was hoping they'd go.

megalowho

I'm gonna play this sight unseen, but certainly have a few questions in the back of my mind regarding its development. The first game was such a complete, self contained journey - can they follow up on that formula without making events feel tacked on and overly sequel-y? Clem as a protagonist already seems like it might cheapen the first season's powerful arc a bit. How does the team fill the hole left by Sean and Jake, and will it be obvious the creative leads are no longer on the project? Is there anything that can be done about that buggy engine at this point?

Having the first episode of The Wolf Among Us be so damn satisfying certainly gives them quite a bit of rope with this one, Telltale has earned it. 400 Days was also a promising jumping off point for new adventures in this universe. Still, I probably won't be at ease until at least Episode 1 drops. They have an awful lot to live up to, anything less than great will be a disappointment.

Wow, I have never seen some many assumptions and unfounded options in a thread like ever. This is by far the best direction this series could have gone. One, I think playing as a child in this fucked up live-or-die world is absolutely fascinating. The familiar dynamic of choice, of survival, everything just goes out the window by playing as a child. We've seen so many times the foundations in games and movies of children growing up in these worlds, and how would it affect, what kind of people would they become, and now we'll actually be able to experience that evolution and journey first hand.

Two, having a new cast would have been the lazy route IMO. I felt Clem was a great character and I'd love to see how she progress and changes as a character. And how does playing as Clem exclude the fact that we will most likely meet new characters throughout the game,

Three, whoever is playing these games to kill zombies is playing the wrong game. I love this idea because fighting and taking the aggressive option will never be the preferred or first choice. As Clem, we'll most likely have to rely on stealth and distraction and outthinking the zombies rather than brute force kill-them-all methods. If that doesn't seem like a way for more gameplay opportunities and more choice and options, more tense moments, more suspense, I don't what else it could be

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
I agree

Way to take the discussion in a really shitty direction; bravo.

For me it has absolutely nothing to do with being a child, being a girl, or being a minority, and everything to do with specifically playing as Clementine. I guess it's too hard for some to grasp that the first season emotionally resonated with a lot of people and taking direct control of Clem is a direct affront to the bond that was built between the characters. Having Clem be a main character in season 2, and controllable at that, will have a big impact on the feelings and story arc that Telltale successfully built the first time around. I was Lee and helped shape Clem into someone who can survive in a brutal world. Playing as her and making those choices myself or telling me exactly what happened after my death cheapens that story to me.

On a side note - they better not change Clem's voice actress.

L00P

Way to take the discussion in a really shitty direction; bravo.

For me it has absolutely nothing to do with being a child, being a girl, or being a minority, and everything to do with specifically playing as Clementine. I guess it's too hard for some to grasp that the first season emotionally resonated with a lot of people and taking direct control of Clem is a direct affront to the bond that was built between the characters. Having Clem be a main character in season 2, and controllable at that, will have a big impact on the feelings and story arc that Telltale successfully built the first time around. I was Lee and helped shape Clem into someone who can survive in a brutal world. Playing as her and making those choices myself or telling me exactly what happened after my death cheapens that story to me.

On a side note - they better not change Clem's voice actress.
Well you're not Lee in this one
I don't get these people saying "closure is ruined" or "their story is done." The whole point of season one was trying to teach Clem how to survive the new world. And then there's that bit in the end where Lee tells clem what to do and where to go. I don't know about you guys, but I wanna see if everything Lee taught and what he has done for Clementine was not in vain.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Aw man, while I appreciate TWD 2 coming so soon, please release The Wolf Among Us in a timely manner too guys. The Wolf is turning out to be a great game too if the first episode is any indicator.

I can not understate how disappointed I am that they're going with Clementine as the focus of the season. Seems like a crutch.

Rodkin and Vanaman not being there was already enough to have me on the fence, now I expect I'll skip out on the season until it's all done and find out if it's good.

If it is, good.

If not, oh well.

Well you're not Lee in this one
I don't get these people saying "closure is ruined" or "their story is done." The whole point of season one was trying to teach Clem how to survive the new world. And then there's that bit in the end where Lee tells clem what to do and where to go. I don't know about you guys, but I wanna see if everything Lee taught and what he has done for Clementine was not in vain.
This.

People seem to forget it's called Season Two. It's not a spin-off or a reboot. It's a direct continuation of the overarching story arc of Season 1 which, more than anything else, was Clem's growth from child to survivor. Now the next step is actually surviving. I can't wait to see that, both for story reasons and for the reasons I mentioned in my other post

Top Bottom