• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Walking Dead: Season 2 - Reveal Teaser

Jarmel

Banned
How is getting kicked out of the group of little consequence and why does it have to be the only consequence for not going along with the leader? You are assuming too much on stuff we know next to nothing about.

Yea I meant the inverse(and edited the original post), that if they're going to have her disobeying orders as such, then there should be consequences like getting kicked out of the group but I doubt they would go that route as it would probably be too much work and they'll use the excuse of 'kids will be kids' in game.

I'm seriously wondering if all the people complaining about Clementine played the same game I did. This is really the only direction they could have (and should have) gone.
From the five or six people I know who've played this, we were all hoping for the same. Seeing this disappointment at the focus on her for the first time is a little baffling, but okay.

Personally, I cannot wait and am very glad they went with this direction.

daveo42

Banned
Finally, been waiting for this announcement ever since I finished up season one. Glad to see that Clem is the main character this time around. My feels are ready for this one. Now to figure out if I really want that DVD or not. Steam is just so much easier...

Okamid3n

How in the world is making Clem the protagonist the easy way out? The easy way out would have been to just slot another adult man in as the main character and call it a day.

Basically what I think. I don't see how this is the easy way out. Would've been much easier to just throw an adult that instantly becomes the de facto leader of every group he meets. I rolled my eyes a few times in Season 1 at how easily Lee took the lead in many situations.

This, though, this is new. I think it could be great.

EDIT: Beaten by 500 people.

\
How does she know how to forage for food. It was usually Lee and Kenny who went looking for food while they left her behind. Choosing to kill lee or not has no bearing on survival. And she can barley use a gun.

That doesn't matter.

All that matters is what you did in the game had an effect on Clem in the ending.

Projecting real world variables on to what was possible within a programmed video game and a set story is ridiculous.

ElRenoRaven

Can't wait. Not bothering to order on Telltale's site though. They didn't do a CE DVD at the end of Season 1 so why bother with one for Season 2. But I'll be preordering on Steam without a doubt.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
There's a lot that can be done with this decision, so it's sad that some are writing it off right away. How often are we given the chance to play as a young girl in games in any serious or significant way?

The Last of Us? Beyond Two Souls? Gone Home?

Also consider, the thought of having to listen to Clem's voice actor, as the main character, for more than 10 hours, is a complete turn off.

CrazyDude

Yea I meant the inverse(and edited the original post), that if they're going to have her disobeying orders as such, then there should be consequences like getting kicked out of the group but I doubt they would go that route as it would probably be too much work and they'll use the excuse of 'kids will be kids' in game.

Why does a the end consequence have to be something that effects her only? What if it subtly changes things within the group. The consequences don't need to scream out at the player. The choices come from how you go about following the order. Based on how you carry out an order, it will change things within the group.

That doesn't matter.

All that matters is what you did in the game had an effect on Clem in the ending.

Projecting real world variables on to what was possible within a programmed video game and a set story is ridiculous.

But is also sets up sequel to show the effects change the way she acted.

Helmholtz

I would have preferred not to play as Clementine (would rather her have just made an appearance or been a secondary character), but I loved the first season so I'll roll with it.

Kinyou

Clementine is back, fuck yeah

The first season was all about her, imo does it only make sense to see how her story progresses.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
TWD1 was like the most overrated interactive show of all time.

Not only the writing was not really good and very generic and you can see what will happen from miles away, but all the choices and decisions were just pointless because all of them lead to the same road whatever you pick, sometimes you can't even change anything no matter what you do, it's just awful.

they better work to change their mistakes this time.

I am not nearly as disappointed in the direction of the second season as I am in the amount of people thinking that it's necessary and that Clem and Lee's story wasn't already done. Just because the character is alive doesn't mean their story needs to continue.

It's like watching Drive and having someone say "He's alive at the end, Drive 2 incoming". It would be pointless narratively.

The story of Clem learning to be a survivor was wrapped up in the final episode of season 1. They could tell a new story with her, and that's why I am optimistic, but a second season is by no means "necessary" as the first season contained a complete narrative and thematic arc.

inm8num2

I don't know, what choices would she have?

If she's alone there is no dialogue, if she's with a group, it's likely with adults. Adults don't put children in charge. Adults don't give guns to children. Adults don't take kids seriously.

I'm giving telltale the benefit of the doubt, but like many others, I'm kind of disappointed that we're playing as Clem.

I'm going to put bugs under everybody's pillows. :p

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Who is saying they do not want to play a little girl. Hell, I'd be more okay with playing another little girl than Clem.

I'd actually think that if they did go that route, some people would complain that they were taking the easy route and just trying to redo what they did in S1 with a Clementine clone.

Kurtofan

If she's alone there is no dialogue, if she's with a group, it's likely with adults. Adults don't put children in charge. Adults don't give guns to children. Adults don't take kids seriously.

I'm giving telltale the benefit of the doubt, but like many others, I'm kind of disappointed that we're playing as Clem.

Lee gave a gun to Clem.

Hell by episode 3 almost every adults wanted to give guns to children (Christa, Kenny, Chuck, Lee etc...) it's not the same world as the beginning of season 1.

We don't even know how old she'll be by the end of the season.

CrazyDude

I am not nearly as disappointed in the direction of the second season as I am in the amount of people thinking that it's necessary and that Clem and Lee's story wasn't already done. Just because the character is alive doesn't mean their story needs to continue.

It's like watching Drive and having someone say "He's alive at the end, Drive 2 incoming". It would be pointless narratively.

The story of Clem learning to be a survivor was wrapped up in the final episode of season 1. They could tell a new story with her, and that's why I am optimistic, but a second season is by no means "necessary" as the first season contained a complete narrative and thematic arc.
Nothing is necessary. Was it necessary to have Clementine in the first game? No, but they wanted to tell a story about Lee interacting with a little girl. They could have just as easily told a story about Lee only. So why is Clementine the protagonist this time, because they want to tell this story.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Don't understand the people saying "siiiigh more Clementine?"

It's Season Two. What were you expecting?

But people aren't saying "siiiigh more Clementine?"

We just don't want to BE Clem because it severely limits the game's ability to have what made Season 1 great.

The reactions in this thread. No wonder 30 year old, white, bald space marine is the default video game character.

I don't think you understand the argument against it if you think its just "we don't want to be a kid." The Walking Dead game was about making choices, most of which wouldn't have been realistically possible if Clem was the person making them.

I'd actually think that if they did go that route, some people would complain that they were taking the easy route and just trying to redo what they did in S1 with a Clementine clone.

She doesn't have to be a clementine clone if you both play as her and make her a competent enough survivor. It would only be a clem redo if they made you take care of another girl.

So...you cannot imagine a scenario where playing as Clem would work, therefore there isn't any.

spongebob-imagination.jpg

But people aren't saying "siiiigh more Clementine?"

We just don't want to BE Clem because it severely limits the game's ability to have what made Season 1 great.

That's exactly what I'm saying at least. What made season 1 great? Hard choices, good characters, realistic depiction of post apocalyptic survival.

We shouldn't have to retell the same "raising a little girl" story.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
And what where things that made season 1 great that is limited here?

Clem can't plausibly fight a zombie and Clem can't plausibly make consequential decisions in a group of adults.

Clem can't plausibly fight a zombie and Clem can't plausibly make consequential decisions in a group of adults.

Both of those are very wrong. She fights a zombie in the last episode and there's no way you could miss that.

And Clem having to prove herself to adults is a perfectly fine concept.

CrazyDude

Why not? Carl is the same age and he fighting against people. She has a gun and it's not like zombies are physically strong. And she can make make consequential decisions in a group of adults just because you can't, for some reason, think of such consequences doesn't mean they don't exist.

Angry Grimace

Both of those are very wrong. She fights a zombie in the last episode and there's no way you could miss that.

And Clem having to prove herself to adults is a perfectly fine concept.

She fights a zombie that's already crippled with Lee's help. She can't fight one the way Lee did without a series of contrived situations. Its pretty implausible she could do anything without being almost entirely reliant on adults.

darkziosj

I seriously think clement is not a good character to play as, there will be no choices like lee had, example: killing the bad guys horrible, axe the leg of someone things like that, clement is just a little girl that is nothing without lee...

At the end of Season 1 she can shoot a gun and is apparently strong enough to beat a zombie in albeit with repeated blows.

And IMO the fact she's a child would being in a group of survivors more interesting as you need to manipulate people into doing what you want instead of magically taking charge as the alpha adult male you normally are.

Nothing is necessary. Was it necessary to have Clementine in the first game? No, but they wanted to tell a story about Lee interacting with a little girl. They could have just as easily told a story about Lee only. So why is Clementine the protagonist this time, because they want to tell this story.

This is a non-answer. I am asking for the reason why telltale is reusing clem and you basically say "Because Telltale wants to". Well duh. That answer shouldn't be good enough for anyone.

Also, the main point of my post was how many, yourself included, believe that this is a necessary continuation.

Lautaro

When Lee decided who lived in the first episode, it wasn't because he was a leader (because he wasn't) or because he was an adult, it was because he was at the perfect time and place. The same can apply for many of the decissions.

And who cares if she can or not kill a zombie on her own? (she can, she knows how to shoot) TWD is about surviving and badasses that can open a breach through a zombie horde with a machete die anyway... I say she has more chances of surviving by sneaking around.

Sadist

Who is to say she will actually join a group? Even if she did, who's to say she would actually listen to the adults?

I don't get it; If I were a gambling man, I'd say this season isn't about fighting zombies head on or to find a new group of people; it's about a kid, all alone growing up in a world where zombies are a constant threat and Clem always needs to watch out for the living. She'll encounter folks, but trusting them? That won't end well.

CrazyDude

This is a non-answer. I am asking for the reason why telltale is reusing clem and you basically say "Because Telltale wants to". Well duh. That answer shouldn't be good enough for anyone.

Also, the main point of my post was how many, yourself included, believe that this is a necessary continuation.

Necessary because I want to know how Clementine fairs in a world without Lee watching her back. Even at the ending it was Lee telling her what to do.

I seriously think clement is not a good character to play as, there will be no choices like lee had, example: killing the bad guys horrible, axe the leg of someone things like that, clement is just a little girl that is nothing without lee...

This is a narrative that I'm seeing being pushed in this thread and it makes me honestly question how many people really understood the point of the entire first season.

diamount

Banned
Don't really understand the point of that teaser. We've already known Season 2 was in development for a while and 400 days should of cemented that. Annoyed we haven't got a date either.

During season 1 I always felt like I was preparing Clem so one day she would be able to to take care of herself. I'm glad I get to see that.

Gaz_RB

I'm excited for this. Not very often do you get to play as a kid in a zombie game. Or in many games at all, for that matter.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Super excited, can't wait - and can't be happier it's about Clem!

While I liked 400 Days, it shows me that I prefer to see this world through her eyes.

Lautaro

In her first appearance, she saves Lee's life.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
This is a narrative that I'm seeing being pushed in this thread and it makes me honestly question how many people really understood the point of the entire first season.

Lee's redemption story? Compelling, sure. Good chemistry between Lee and Clem, and an emotional, if not overblown, final scene between the two. But when Lee died, so did my responsibility for Clem.

If not wanting to be a surrogate parent to that annoying child again for Season 2, somehow makes me a close-minded piece of shit, so be it. Forgive me, GAF! I don't want to make her choices!

marrec

Banned

They could, plausibly, take what people love about Clem (the character they'd built through Season 1) and absolutely ruin her by the end of Season 2 by making her into a monster.

At the end of Season 1 she can shoot a gun and is apparently strong enough to beat a zombie in albeit with repeated blows.

And IMO the fact she's a child would being in a group of survivors more interesting as you need to manipulate people into doing what you want instead of magically taking charge as the alpha adult male you normally are.

Yup, pretty much why I trust them in their decision. Also lol at everyone bitching about a child being limited in their abilities. Did anyone see Breaking Bad? Because Walter White really shouldn't have been able to do half of what he did in the show with Cancer.

Top Bottom