• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Walking Dead: Season 2 - Reveal Teaser

Well there goes the only meaningful choice we ever seemed to have in Season 1

instead of getting to see how Clem turns out because of Lee, we're just in control of her every action.

jmizzal

All this complaining about playing as Clem, dont you get tired of playing as generic characters? How many games do you get to play as a 10 year old girl?

Plus TellTale could do something like 400 days where you play as different characters, but ep. 1 you prob only play as Clem.

CrazyDude

Would you want to be ordered around by a NPC the entire game instead of making your own decisions?

And you can't ignore what an NPC says. Just because some says do this doesn't you have to do it. If someone ordered to leave a person behind, she can just as easily go help him.

Lets say you didnt play as clem and you played as someone else who meets clem. You are then playing as a character who knows nothing about clem, yet you the player knows everything about clem. It just wouldnt have worked.

Empty

glad clementine is the protagonist. normally i'd want the first season to exist as a standalone and move on instead of dragging it out, but as someone who generally finds the walking dead (both comic and tv show) tedious all my interest was in the magic they hit on with clem and lee. hopefully they can pull it off without jake and sean.

weevles

I dunno. Not a surprise to me after playing Season 1 (and the
post credits teaser
), but I'm a little concerned that playing as Clem might break all my positive feelings about the first game in a bad way. Also, should we be spoilerizing things at all considering the content of this announcement?

marrec

Banned
All this complaining about playing as Clem, dont you get tired of playing as generic characters? How many games do you get to play as a 10 year old girl?

Plus TellTale could do something like 400 days where you play as different characters, but ep. 1 you prob only play as Clem.

I don't think anyone considered Lee to be a generic character. I'd be interested in playing as a 10 year old girl, but Clem's story should be done. Next chapter, lets go already, etc. etc.

crozier

Can't wait. I wonder whether we'll play as young Clementine the entire game, or whether she'll age?

Graphics look to be boosted quite a bit as well.

How does she know how to forage for food. It was usually Lee and Kenny who went looking for food while they left her behind. Choosing to kill lee or not has no bearing on survival. And she can barley use a gun.

The entire point of the last few scenes is lost on you if you think that. Making the hard decisions and making them right is what survival, and in general the whole game, is all about.

VanMastaIteHab

Neo Member
Immediate pre-order.

But I'm a little nervous. I have faith it'll turn out well. But I'm kind of hoping that you only play as Clem for the first episode or something, and then control will shift to a new character.

MrKnives

I liked her being a separate person. Whole season we did choices to shape her to be what she is now in season 2.
Except they backpedalled a bit and now she isn't what we teached her to be, she is us. I wanted to be someone who watches her grow up.

I'd even preferred if they would just bring someone watch over her again. Not just some Lee 2.0 but in example, Molly wouldn't have been a bad choice for me.

Though I know in one scenario she can die so that's not really plausible.

marrec

Banned
glad clementine is the protagonist. normally i'd want the first season to exist as a standalone and move on instead of dragging it out, but as someone who generally finds the walking dead (both comic and tv show) tedious all my interest was in the magic they hit on with clem and lee. hopefully they can pull it off without jake and sean.

So far "The Wolf Among Us" is as good if not better than The Walking Dead was, but it's only 1 episode in so....

andycapps

I know in an interview somewhere they mentioned lookimg into transfering saves to the new consoles, so they're definately thinking about it (they'd be silly not to)

Good. I played the first season on PS3 and while it was great to experience it and it looked okay, I remember a lot of shimmering and jaggies. I don't think Telltale is that great at optimizing their engine for consoles, but the additional power of next gen systems should be overkill to handle their games.

Lets say you didnt play as clem and you played as someone else who meets clem. You are then playing as a character who knows nothing about clem, yet you the player knows everything about clem. It just wouldnt have worked.

They could have just not had clem at all

you realize that that's a possibility right

Honestly hoping the save transfer from Season 1 doesn't affect too much. Either that or Telltale can somehow pull your choices down from their server. I'm not playing season 2 on 360 again.

Carl is still not the leader of the group. He's not making decisions for everybody and rightfully so.

Judging by that you probably aren't familiar with the current issues in the comics, but at this point Carl is as much of a leader as the rest of the primary characters.

The most recent example was when
Carl took charge of the defense of New Alexandria when Negan and his forces countered Rick's foolish attempt to off Negan. He organized the defense along the wall. He is also now in charge of the defense of the place while Rick and the majority of able bodied fighters head off to war.

Of course with Rick around he won't be THE leader, but that really isn't a fair point to put against him.

How is Clem being playable an issue though? If bringing her back is lazy, well, you might as well say doing a sequel to the game is lazy as well as it isn't original either.

How about we actually wait and see how they handle the character and surrounding story before lobbing empty labels from our high horses.

marrec

Banned

Or have Clem outright lie to you (the main character) about her past. You as the player would know that but the character wouldn't. Play with the expectations a bit, like they did in Season 1.

I'd even preferred if they would just bring someone watch over her again. Not just some Lee 2.0 but in example, Molly wouldn't have been a bad choice for me.

Though I know in one scenario she can die so that's not really plausible.

This thread is making me depressed at the amount of people that just didn't understand why season 1 was so effective

No, "sisterhood of the traveling pants"-ing Clem is not a viable solution

Empty

So far "The Wolf Among Us" is as good if not better than The Walking Dead was, but it's only 1 episode in so....

yeah that's encouraging (i haven't played it yet, but everyone seems very positive)

i also think it's easier for someone to step in now the characters have been created and the way the game design operates has been clearly established.

I liked her being a separate person. Whole season we did choices to shape her to be what she is now in season 2.
Except they backpedalled a bit and now she isn't what we teached her to be, she is us. I wanted to be someone who watches her grow up.

Eh... If TellTale was going to have Clementine involved at all in Season 2 beyond some sort of brief cameo, I'm ok with her acting as the Player Character. It allows the Player to make sure that the Clem you developed through Lee in Season 1 can stay consistent and not get borked by some save game bug or shoddy import.

Personally, I'd have preferred a mostly disconnected Season 2 with just some small connections to the people/places of Season 1. But I think I'm ok with having Clem as the player character in season 2. Just depends on how they do things.

CrazyDude

At which point, might as well just tell the story about her being by herself.

Why? Decisions can still have an affect on people around you. Are you saying you have no control over your life or affect other people around you because your not the president?

sixghost

That's a pretty disappointing direction for the second season. I'd much rather them tell self contained stories within the seasons.

GavinGT

Banned
I'm curious how the group dynamic will work this time with Clem as the player character. Lee was the defacto leader of the group. Will adults really take her decisions seriously? I was personally hoping for a bit of a time warp, so we'd pick up with a somewhat older Clem.

EDIT: I see this is already being discussed.

Jarmel

Banned
Why? Decisions can still have an affect on people around you. Are you saying you have no control over your life or affect other people around you because your not the president?

As a child, your interactions are limited in a setting where most of the people you interact with are adults. If Clem is going to be disobeying orders from a leader of a new group with little consequence, like not being able to get kicked out of the group, then might as well just have her being on her own in the first place.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
That's a pretty disappointing direction for the second season. I'd much rather them tell self contained stories within the seasons.

Already had a taste of that with 500 Days but I don't think they could stretch those stand alones into full blown 2 hour + episodes.

-MD-

"Play as Clementine, an orphaned girl forced to grow up fast by the world around her"

Called it. Knew they were gonna go down that path and I'm so glad they did.

WD was my 2nd favorite game last year so I'm excited. Also loved the teaser.

Tunic

Excited to continue the story and extremely happy to play as Clem. Easy day one purchase for me to continue on the PS3. I am curious as many of you are to see what the additional gaming platforms that they will develop the release for. I would double dip for a PS4 and/or Wii U version. Of course nothing has been confirmed and this is just my hopeful side saying this but the month of November looks like a super crazy and exciting month for gaming and if this releases it would put the month well over the top.

mollipen

How in the world is making Clem the protagonist the easy way out? The easy way out would have been to just slot another adult man in as the main character and call it a day.

Having it be Clementine brings up some really interesting ideas for storytelling, and putting the player into situations they aren't often used to being in. Having us play a character who isn't the leader of the group, and who might have to go along with decisions she isn't able to have a say in, could be very unique storytelling. It also changes the dynamic from being the one saved to seeing how things work being the one people feel like they need to save.

There's a lot that can be done with this decision, so it's sad that some are writing it off right away. How often are we given the chance to play as a young girl in games in any serious or significant way? Video games give us the chance to step out of roles we're used to and see life from other angles, and that's exactly what I'm hoping is going to happen here. I want more decisions like this, not less.

crozier

Excited to continue the story and extremely happy to play as Clem. Easy day one purchase for me to continue on the PS3. I am curious as many of you are to see what the additional gaming platforms that they will develop the release for. I would double dip for a PS4 and/or Wii U version. Of course nothing has been confirmed and this is just my hopeful side saying this but the month of November looks like a super crazy and exciting month for gaming and if this releases it would put the month well over the top.
There's no way there won't be a PS4 version. Super straight forward port from PC with all effects enabled and wouldn't have the performance issues of PS3. I'm only hoping there will be a way to use your PS3 save on PS4...

CrazyDude

As a child, your interactions are limited in a setting where most of the people you interact with are adults. If Clem is going to be disobeying orders from a leader of a new group with little consequence, like getting kicked out of the group, then might as well just have her being on her own in the first place.

How is getting kicked out of the group of little consequence and why does it have to be the only consequence for not going along with the leader? You are assuming too much on stuff we know next to nothing about.

Sadist

How in the world is making Clem the protagonist the easy way out? The easy way out would have been to just slot another adult man in as the main character and call it a day.

Having it be Clementine brings up some really interesting ideas for storytelling, and putting the player into situations they aren't often used to being in. Having us play a character who isn't the leader of the group, and who might have to go along with decisions she isn't able to have a say in, could be very unique storytelling. It also changes the dynamic from being the one saved to seeing how things work being the one people feel like they need to save.

There's a lot that can be done with this decision, so it's sad that some are writing it off right away. How often are we given the chance to play as a young girl in games in any serious or significant way? Video games give us the chance to step out of roles we're used to and see life from other angles, and that's exactly what I'm hoping is going to happen here. I want more decisions like this, not less.
Totally agree.

I think it's a mistake continuing with Clementine, but hey, I'll still check it out.

I would definitely have agreed if you were a totally new protagonist and she was following you around. It would be strange getting to know her as somebody new. But instead you're her and you know what? We kinda feel her loss.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Oh and going to assume with 500 Days the people who never left at the end are the ones who Clementine runs into? That'd be pretty great, actually.

Phamit

I think its the right choice to take clementine as playable charakter.

Playing as a kid in a zombie apocalypse could be a fresh experience and i think making clementine a playable character it not so easy as its seem.

So hyped! Always expected Clem to be the main character, great news. I hope those last advices we gave her at the end of season 1 are reflected on her (short hair, etc). The game did say that she would remember which was why I always assumed she would have a big role in S2.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

Pretty much echoes my thoughts on the matter.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy

Agreed

Top Bottom