• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2 - April High Quality New Screens, Boxart and Sex pic

abunai

Minsc said:
There aren't going to be issues like the last time. They made the new engine so they don't have to outsource the port, it'll get done in house this time. It'll probably be announced 2-3 months after release, my guess.

They had already said they managed to get some smaller areas running on the 360, I believe.

I really do hope they port it over to consoles, the more people that can experience an RPG of this calibre the better.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Just finished the first book (well, first collection of stories translated to English anyway, if I understand correctly) - good times. Might not contain the best prose but the translation may be at fault there too. But the characters and world are great, Geralt is like a medieval Boba Fett and Hank Moody rolled up in one and the amount of puns/social criticism is awesome. By the time I'm done with The Witcher (the game) and the second book, the game might actually be out for 360 or PS3 (only have an ancient MacBook and zero monies, so...)

Enkidu

Minsc said:
There aren't going to be issues like the last time. They made the new engine so they don't have to outsource the port, it'll get done in house this time. It'll probably be announced 2-3 months after release, my guess.
I'm not expecting there to be any issues. I'm just saying that unless something unexpected happens there is no way this game isn't coming out on consoles.

RedSwirl

Yeah think I'm doing the GOG pre-load sometime this week.

I'm in the middle of the first game now, and really its only low points are its performance (PS2 graphics but runs as bad as Crysis) and UI. They seem to have fixed both in this game. Just hope my HD6850 is up to the task.

Minsc

Gold Member
RedSwirl said:
Yeah think I'm doing the GOG pre-load sometime this week.

Preload starts tomorrow! Perhaps even a slim, slim chance of getting the 200 page artbook with lots of info to read downloadable tomorrow too, but unlikely.

I'm in the middle of the first game now, and really its only low points are its performance (PS2 graphics but runs as bad as Crysis) and UI. They seem to have fixed both in this game. Just hope my HD6850 is up to the task.

Challenge accepted! TW1 looks a bit better than PS2 imo, could be confused for a current gen game running at 1080p:

witcher%202010-05-23%2020-49-34-27.jpg

witcher%202010-04-25%2013-23-40-01.jpg

witcher%202010-05-28%2022-01-48-19.jpg

witcher%202010-06-04%2021-45-13-98.jpg

And this one too, though it's a little disturbing to inline (and a slight spoiler).

Ran at 45+ fps for the vast majority of my playthrough, over half of the time 60 fps.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Considering pre-ordering this off Direct 2 Drive as it will only be 33.71 or so after the pre-order discount. Will Steam offer a similar deal before launch? Otherwise...I've got to go with D2D on this one.

Okay, so the game has better textures than ps2 games...still I found FFXII to look superior to the first Witcher...perhaps that was also because it had on the whole much better art and far more spectacular environments. The presentation in the first Witcher is very dated...the characters just stand around liek vacant dolls. It was obvious the game was in production for a long time, and some stuff wasn't updated.... Loading is bad as well. As for current gen..better than Disgaea 4, yes

Thats why the Witcher 2 has surprised me so much. It looks so far ahead of pretty much any other pc rpg, Skyrim perhaps withstanding

nelsonroyale said:
far more spectacular environments. The presentation in the first Witcher is very dated...the characters just stand around liek vacant dolls.

The Witcher's thing wasn't spectacle; it was mood, and the environments nailed the subdued, tense atmosphere really well. As for your second point, The Witcher NPCs are pretty dynamic; they have a full daily routine, run for shelter when it rains, streets are full of people wandering around, etc.

jackdoe

nelsonroyale said:
Okay, so the game has better textures than ps2 games...still I found FFXII to look superior to the first Witcher...perhaps that was also because it had on the whole much better art and far more spectacular environments.
I liked FFXII, but I thought its environments were weak. Tiled textures and rectangular corridors up the wazoo.

Minsc

Gold Member
nelsonroyale said:
Okay, so the game has better textures than ps2 games...still I found FFXII to look superior to the first Witcher...perhaps that was also because it had on the whole much better art and far more spectacular environments. The presentation in the first Witcher is very dated...the characters just stand around liek vacant dolls. It was obvious the game was in production for a long time, and some stuff wasn't updated.... Loading is bad as well. As for current gen..better than Disgaea 4, yes

Thats why the Witcher 2 has surprised me so much. It looks so far ahead of pretty much any other pc rpg, Skyrim perhaps withstanding

This is sort of interesting too, comparing budgets:

FXII: 48 million
TW1: 11 million
TW2: 8 million

I didn't realize TW2 had a smaller budget than TW1. And did FFXII have a day/night cycle? It really goes a far way for creating spectacular environments, like you mention. Loading wasn't bad for me, pretty much everything loads either instantly (if you're returning to a screen) or in under a few seconds. The frequency of loading was annoying, but I had no trouble with the time it took.

Salaadin

Minsc said:
This is sort of interesting too, comparing budgets:

FXII: 48 million
TW1: 11 million
TW2: 8 million

I didn't realize TW2 had a smaller budget than TW1. And did FFXII have a day/night cycle? It really goes a far way for creating spectacular environments, like you mention. Loading wasn't bad for me, pretty much everything loads either instantly (if you're returning to a screen) or in under a second. The frequency of loading was annoying, but I had no trouble with the time it took.

TW2 budget is only 8 million dollars? How is that even possible?
Serious question, Why do a lot of console games have huge budgets?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Salaadin said:

The most popular answer on GAF is "because they're in Poland and it is cheap to live in Poland."

RedSwirl

What I was originally going to say is that TW1 looks like a very fancy PS2 game. Either way, I've played games that look far better on my system and run far better too. Hopefully TW2 is much better optimized (probably will be).

Exuro

RedSwirl said:
What I was originally going to say is that TW1 looks like a very fancy PS2 game. Either way, I've played games that look far better on my system and run far better too. Hopefully TW2 is much better optimized (probably will be).
Well duh. Everyones has said this before. Of course TW2 will run better. They aren't making it on Biowares ancient Aurora engine which is why it runs so bad.

dionysus

Yaldog
Salaadin said:

My guess would be a lot of factors like extensive use of motion capture, FMV, expensive composers and musical scores, longer QA/QC time, hollywood voice actors, etc. It is surely not all the wage difference between Poland and Japan and the US.

Mango Positive said:
Is anyone looking to upgrade their graphics card to a GTX 460 anytime soon?

See, the day Portal 2 came out, during the intro sequence, my GTX 460 died. Portal 2 was unplayable, extra aggravating after that potato ARG. Instead of sending the card back and waiting 3 weeks to play it, I went and bought a new GTX 560 to help prep for Witcher 2. Now, I have an extra (Refurb? New? It looks new) GTX 460 that I can't use and none of my friends want. Now, I know we're not friends, but if you live in the continental U.S., your computer is otherwise relatively up to date (good processor, plenty of memory, extra PCI Express slot, above 500 watt power supply, etc.), and you're the very first person to quote this, then I'll ship it out to you today. Absolutely free, though if "Mango Positive" on Steam were to be gifted something rad at any point in the future, he would certainly be grateful!

Closed!

Psi

Snuggler said:
there seems to be some shots where Geralt is with an
attractive/young version of her so its gotta be some kind of magic (or whatever is in that powder)

That's what happens when you do fisstech.

delirium

Mango Positive said:
See, the day Portal 2 came out, during the intro sequence, my GTX 460 died. Portal 2 was unplayable, extra aggravating after that potato ARG. Instead of sending the card back and waiting 3 weeks to play it, I went and bought a new GTX 560 to help prep for Witcher 2. Now, I have an extra (Refurb? New? It looks new) GTX 460 that I can't use and none of my friends want. Now, I know we're not friends, but if you live in the continental U.S., your computer is otherwise relatively up to date (good processor, plenty of memory, extra PCI Express slot, above 500 watt power supply, etc.), and you're the very first person to quote this, then I'll ship it out to you today. Absolutely free, though if "Mango Positive" on Steam were to be gifted something rad at any point in the future, he would certainly be grateful!
I would love this.

Mango Positive said:

Wish I was in the US

Exuro

Mango Positive said:
Damn that is mighty fine of you. My GTX 260 is still holding up but I'm not sure how the game will run with it. I'd be sure to gift you something in return if I could get this.

Whoever does get it, congratz to you. What a nice guy.

EDIT: Congratz Delirium. What a nice surprise.

Salaadin

Mango Positive said:

Why didnt I click this thread sooner, why brother needs a new graphics card.
Thats pretty cool of you, though. Major props.

-GOUKI-

Vasilisk said:
EDIT Beaten lol

I want your PS2

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/578922169225268528/9B76A2FEC33AA4F51ADBB4909540746D793D6493/[/IG]

[IMG]http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/578920358976049767/2D619F83014CF7C2F2267194281A6DA21E61857F/[/][/QUOTE]
I think he if you take out of consideration the resolution and aa that pc games naturally have.

Emulated PS2 games
[img]http://i.imgur.com/TsXDJ.jpg
ID6cv.jpg

182509624398469365161af2b6b53fe33d93f01e.jpg

shadow_of_the_colossus.jpg

-GOUKI-

Snuggler said:
not even close, but I see what you're trying to say
Im a pretty big pc gamer but come on. The game is a great RPG but graphically for a pc game that came out in 2007, it was seriously underwhelming especially with the bad optimization.

Minsc

Gold Member
-GOUKI- said:
Im a pretty big pc gamer but come on. The game is a great RPG but graphically for a pc game that came out in 2007, it was seriously underwhelming especially with the bad optimization.

Still looks better than every shot posted from a PS2 game I've seen, even from PSCX2.

Salaadin said:
My best guess would be bloated companies, much of the bloat not actually being involved in creating the game.
Aka too many people with their hand in the cookie jar. (just look at the credits for some of these games)
Also retarded marketing budgets and wasting time and money on ideas that only work on paper.

Minsc

Gold Member
Psyched for the OT launching soon! 7 more days!

Nice to get this out of the way too, don't want any PS2 or TW1 shots in the new thread. At least not til long, long after we're done basking in TW2's glory :)

Top Bottom