• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2 - April High Quality New Screens, Boxart and Sex pic

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
RedSwirl said:
Yeah think I'm doing the GOG pre-load sometime this week.

I'm in the middle of the first game now, and really its only low points are its performance (PS2 graphics but runs as bad as Crysis) and UI. They seem to have fixed both in this game. Just hope my HD6850 is up to the task.

You're completely insane. The Witcher is more detailed and better looking than a lot of stuff released in recent years.

Binabik15

There´s a line between Beastslayer and Beastlayer that should not be crossed, Geralt.

Just posting because I finally pre-ordered. Yay.

Minsc

Gold Member
No more stuck getting a censored The Witcher 2, as GOG is letting you change your location settings on the fly, and no longer tracking you by Geo-IP, so you can get whatever deals you want just by selecting the region you want to purchase from. Pretty sweet if you were worried about a censored TW2 I guess, just set yourself to the region with the best deal/price that is uncensored.

Salaadin

Minsc said:
No more stuck getting a censored The Witcher 2, as GOG is letting you change your location settings on the fly, and no longer tracking you by Geo-IP, so you can get whatever deals you want just by selecting the region you want to purchase from. Pretty sweet if you were worried about a censored TW2 I guess, just set yourself to the region with the best deal/price that is uncensored.

Even for the AUS users worried about the recent censorship thing? Thats pretty awesome for them.

Minsc

Gold Member
Salaadin said:
Even for the AUS users worried about the recent censorship thing? Thats pretty awesome for them.

Yup, timing seems very intentional too. So now AUS gamers have four choices, import retail (if that sort of thing flies there), get it gifted from another region on Steam, buy from GOG under another region, or just use a hacked/fixed version when one is available.

Or just ignore the tiny little change altogether, which doesn't even effect the game, and go about business like usual.

Binabik15

Minsc said:

That´s fucking awesome of them. I use "fuck" to emphasize how fucking awesome that is.

I wish Steam would do that, but they´re too busy laughing all the way to the next treasure vault when the old one is full. Still angry that I couldn´t buy the new AvP game AT ALL when it was super cheap.

woober

I'm interested in buying the Collectors Edition, but I can't justify $130 for it. Is Geralt's sculpt made of real marble or something? : p

Kyaw said:
Woop new Ripten uncompressed (minimal compression) shots:

witcher2-2011-05-06-01n7ni.png

witcher2-2011-05-07-02b7n0.png

witcher2-2011-05-07-01l7zk.png

The textures in this game are in-fucking-credible.

Psi

woober said:
I'm interested in buying the Collectors Edition, but I can't justify $130 for it. Is Geralt's sculpt made of real marble or something? : p

It's probably some cheap hollow plastic used to jack up the price.

Complistic

SneakyStephan said:
Hahaha the narrator, oh god.
This helps in explaining their 8 million dollar budget, they aren't wasting money on voice actors for trailers. (not that they should).

The effects (fog and the day/night transition and the light in the forest) look out of this world.
Some of the indoor stuff is a mixed bag though.

That'd be Thomas Gop, he's the project lead I think.

SneakyStephan said:
This helps in explaining their 8 million dollar budget, they aren't wasting money on voice actors for trailers. (not that they should).

A bit of a Polish accent, but other than that it's perfectly fine (I'm Polish). Let's see how you try to speak a foreign language.

Minsc

Gold Member
Texture work is truly amazing. I didn't watch much of that video, but the way it starts in the mountains with the snow and moon, is great.

Hoping we see a new official trailer for the game tomorrow too (to celebrate the launch of TW1 on GOG, and start of pre-loading).

Castor Krieg said:
A bit of a Polish accent, but other than that it's perfectly fine (I'm Polish). Let's see how you try to speak a foreign language.
Probably a lot like him (I'm not English, I have an accent too, a Belgian one even which is just as bad as a Polish one).

I'm not ripping on them for using him as a narrator, it would be a useless waste of money to hire a professional one.

It's not really his accent either, it's the way he talks , like he got some lessons in how to speak for an audience and is clumsy about it, it sounds forced.

edit: and in general I prefer to hear someone involved in a game's development talk about it, rather than some outsider reading some PR bullshit.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Castor Krieg said:

Come one now, I really doubt the dude was somehow implying that it was his accent that was the part of worth pointing out. For what it's worth I think he spoke well.

edit : aaand beaten by a sliced pubic hair.

Salaadin

Psi said:
It's probably some cheap hollow plastic used to jack up the price.
They told us what it was made out of...not marble but some kind of plastic marble look alike.

EDIT: Sorry, caps lock was on...

WEGGLES

[stupid question]

I own the Witcher Enhanced Edition, should I play/complete that first or should I just play #2? I remember getting ~1 hour into the first game and kinda-losing interest, but #2 looks really cool.

Complistic

WEGGLES said:
[stupid question]

I own the Witcher Enhanced Edition, should I play/complete that first or should I just play #2? I remember getting ~1 hour into the first game and kinda-losing interest, but #2 looks really cool.

Try playing it again. I played the first game for a couple hours, lost interest, then came back to it like a month later and absolutely loved it.

In general I believe that playing certain game isn't absolutely necessary to get into its sequel (I played KOTOR2 before KOTOR/Played MGS4 without ever having touched MGS3 or 2). I will say though that you're missing out by not playing the Witcher not b/c of the Witcher 2 but rather that the original is a slow burn of a game that really pays off in spades as a memorable experience..

Fox318

SneakyStephan said:

The effects (fog and the day/night transition and the light in the forest) look out of this world.
Some of the indoor stuff is a mixed bag though.
That's the lead designer. I love how this game is Polish made and proud of it.

SneakyStephan said:
It's not really his accent either, it's the way he talks , like he got some lessons in how to speak for an audience and is clumsy about it, it sounds forced.

From the sound of it they simply translated what they wanted to say in Polish word-by-word, at least that's what it sounds like to me.

WEGGLES said:

Someone posted infinite HP/Energy hack, use that and just enjoy the story.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Definitely finish the first one if you can. I bought it back in 2008, and restarted multiple times over the years. I always tended to lose interest in the swamp area, or somewhere in Chapter 3. Most people seem to hate the tutorial area and the outskirts of Vizima, but I actually enjoyed those parts. It was most of the stuff inside Vizima, and especially in the swamp area, that I didn't really enjoy.

I finally picked the game back up last week and was determined to beat it before TW2 was released. I loaded up my last save from a year ago where I left off near the end of the swamp area and ended up finishing the game on Saturday. I think the game really picks up near the end of chapter 3. Chapters 4, 5, and the epilogue are particularly excellent.

There are a couple of twists near the end that kind of make me want to go back and replay the game, but make different choices. In fact, I really wonder how the game plays out if you side with the Order of the Flaming Rose instead of the Scoia'tael.

WEGGLES

Complistic said:
Try playing it again. I played the first game for a couple hours, lost interest, then came back to it like a month later and absolutely loved it.
I'll give it another shot.

Some how with work a happy accident occurred that I ended up with 6 days off in a row. I'll give it another go then.

Should I start all the way over, or continue where I left off? I vaguely remember clearing out some sort of castle and needing a plant for someone I think? Steams says I've only played 61 mins of it.

WEGGLES said:

Some how with work a happy accident occurred that I ended up with 6 days off in a row. I'll give it another go then.

Should I start all the way over, or continue where I left off? I vaguely remember clearing out some sort of castle and needing a plant for someone I think? Steams says I've only played 61 mins of it.

Just keep going from that point. You're still in the prologue/tutorial.

Zefah said:
In fact, I really wonder how the game plays out if you side with the Order of the Flaming Rose instead of the Scoia'tael.

Spoiler if you want:

You got to fight Scoia'tael in Vizima in Chapter 5 obviously, get to kill Yeavinn as well. Person running with you through chapter 5 is Siegfried, who then becomes the Grand Master.

The ending talks about how the former Grand Master was portrayed as a hero, and pogroms of non-humans occured.

WEGGLES said:

In my opinion the first part of the game is somewhat slow starting. There's a lot of backtracking and somewhat boring fetch quests, but after that it picks up. Also there are a lot of secondary quests which can be time consuming, if you feel bored doing those just do the main quests, when I reached Chapter 5 I was fed up with side quests and only did the main ones.

purg3

slept with Malkin
new pc parts arrived today, pretty pumped to be able to play this game now.

Core i5 Sandy Bridge 2500k
ASUS P8P67 WS REVOLUTION Mobo
Corsair Vengeance ram 8GB
GeForce GTX 460

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
purg3 said:
new pc parts arrived today, pretty pumped to be able to play this game now.

Core i5 Sandy Bridge 2500k
ASUS P8P67 WS REVOLUTION Mobo
Corsair Vengeance ram 8GB
GeForce GTX 460

You should get an SSD, W2 streams the environments so an SSD would greatly reduce load stutter.

Exuro

I didn't even think about that. For my next upgrade I'll probably get a new card, SSD and cpu cooler.

Can't wait for the OT. Better be good.

Exuro

SneakyStephan said:
Sure seems like it, the game files are already floating around at the usual places and are 8GB there.
Well is that when it's installed or just the download files? Who knows how much compression they did for downloading.

Edit: It did say that in the requirements I would assume that it is after installation. That sounds way to low with the texture resolutions we've seen.

Salaadin

brotkasten said:
TW2 is only 8GB?

I think its 8GBs for the game, 8GBs for the extra content....the original minium specs broke them up this way at least.
The most recent specs say 16GB though and dont break it up. I guess I shouldnt assume that the original 8+8 still stands.

owlbeak

Am I insane, but wasn't this also announced for 360 and PS3? I thought I had read a preview of the 360 version a few weeks ago but now it says it's PC exclusive?

Maybe I've been crazy all along? :O

Complistic

Horsebite said:
Am I insane, but wasn't this also announced for 360 and PS3? I thought I had read a preview of the 360 version a few weeks ago but now it says it's PC exclusive?

They put it on hold so they could focus on the PC. I think they intend to port a version eventually.

Enkidu

Horsebite said:

It has always been PC exclusive, but some sites have just assumed that it will come out of consoles and labeled the game as multiplatform. Of course, it's quite likely that the game will in fact come out on consoles but those ports will come later.

dwebo

Salaadin said:
I think its 8GBs for the game, 8GBs for the extra content....the original minium specs broke them up this way at least.
The most recent specs say 16GB though and dont break it up. I guess I shouldnt assume that the original 8+8 still stands.
Eh, it's probably still 8+8. The Witcher on steam is like a 14gb download and about half of that is making-of videos and other junk IIRC.

1 game dvd is probably what they were targeting in case they do a console version later, too.

Zefah said:
You're completely insane. The Witcher is more detailed and better looking than a lot of stuff released in recent years.

Technically, I don't think it is...hell, the original Dragon Age is built on much better tech

Salaadin

dwebo said:
Eh, it's probably still 8+8. The Witcher on steam is like a 14gb download and about half of that is making-of videos and other junk IIRC.

1 game dvd is probably what they were targeting in case they do a console version later, too.

That does seem to make the most sense. I guess we know for sure tomorrow when the GOG preload goes up.

nelsonroyale said:
Technically, I don't think it is...hell, the original Dragon Age is built on much better tech
I don't think he's talking about technical details. As far as textures go, The Witcher is an extremely detailed and varied game. I think it's better looking than Dragon Age. It certainly isn't more technically sound than DA, however.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
How is it even technically inferior to Dragon Age?

The Witcher uses lots of shaders (reflective and interactive water, bump mapping, environment mapping, etc.), as well as light maps, dynamic shadows, blur effects, etc...

You also have real time day and night cycles, where the lighting and shadows adapt realistically, as well as dynamic weather effects.

Obviously the art direction and texture detail is impressive in The Witcher, but that's not all that go to make it a good looking game. It's no slouch in the technical department, either.

nelsonroyale said:

Really, what is it missing? Does it need SSAO, sun shafts, and tessellation for you to consider it a "technically good looking" game?

Polk

Horsebite said:

It wasn't yet. AFAIK it will be officially revealed at Asus Netbook Expo.

Top Bottom