• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT2| Wanted to find Ciri, but everything Gwent wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

nib95

Banned
Been playing this game almost everyday since launch, and still feel I've got so much left to do. I haven't even found Ciri yet... I mean, this is a take over your life and get beats from your wife type of game, but at the same time, I'm mesmerised by it. Such an incredible, powerful and truly massive game. I was bored or stopped playing Skyrim, Oblivion and Dragon Age by this point, but Witcher 3 still has me completely hooked. After the powerhouse that was Bloodborne, I can't believe I'm experiencing yet another toweringly magnificent game directly after. What an incredible 1-2 punch the start of 2015 was.

Denton

I felt she did that because she was tired of geralt, she wanted a way out. why else would she want to do it? I understand that she wants to know if their affection is really only based on the djinn, but in the end, if she truly wants to be with geralt, why risk it? it's too big a risk with 0 real payoff.

I was pretty upset by that quest btw. I didn't think it was right for CDPR to change this, it felt like blasphemy to me. of yourse Yen is geralts true love. and in witcher 3, she is the much more interesting character than triss. triss is boring, while yen is extremely cool and funny. however, since triss was established as geralts lover in witcher 2 I was fine with making him choose between then, and of course breaking the djinns curse is necessary for that. so in the end I actually think it was very well done.
I think your interptetation of it is the opposite of mine (and of what cdp intended ).
Basically, what shinobi said.
To me it was perfect, i was surprised and impressed cdp had the balls to adress the djinni spell. And when they both admitted that nothing changed, my heart melted.

Especially with that lovely Last Wish sidequest where she
tricks Geralt into helping her get the magical equivalent of divorce papers.
Lovely.

That is not true at all. She wants to know that the feeling she has for Geralt is genuine and not some spell put up by Geralt's wish. I can totally understand her reasoning and by the end it is genuine

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Re Last Wish quest:
Yen likes being in control. The timing probably wasn't the best, but her reasoning for pursuing the Djinn was due to circumstance and history as established by the games. Yen and Geralt were "soul mates", but the games more or less reset that by Geralt's amnesia and total separation from Yen. Wild Hunt is the first time they unite since, and it's under dire circumstances. They barely have time to reconnect. Narratively I took it as their history ultimately weighing on Yen. Despite all that's happened, despite the distance, despite Geralt's fling with Triss, despite their conflict with the hunt, despite losing their memories, Yen still feels things for Geralt which would make meeting up with him again after all that time a little bit confusing and frustrating, especially when she's not sure if he feels the same way in return. Resetting Geralt's wish is a means of putting her mind at ease one way or the other, rather than an exit strategy. After all she still does have feelings for him, so she knows it's real. Whether or not it's still real for Geralt is up to the player.

nib95

Banned
That is not true at all. She wants to know that the feeling she has for Geralt is genuine and not some spell put up by Geralt's wish. I can totally understand her reasoning and by the end it is genuine

Agreed. Beautiful quest, and what a beautiful and stunning backdrop they set it all to. Those vista's, that music...

aku:jiki

I felt she did that because she was tired of geralt, she wanted a way out. why else would she want to do it? I understand that she wants to know if their affection is really only based on the djinn, but in the end, if she truly wants to be with geralt, why risk it? it's too big a risk with 0 real payoff.

I was pretty upset by that quest btw. I didn't think it was right for CDPR to change this, it felt like blasphemy to me. of yourse Yen is geralts true love. and in witcher 3, she is the much more interesting character than triss. triss is boring, while yen is extremely cool and funny. however, since triss was established as geralts lover in witcher 2 I was fine with making him choose between then, and of course breaking the djinns curse is necessary for that. so in the end I actually think it was very well done.
Lovely.
I feel like neither of you paid any attention to the dialogue during that quest at all. Like you muted your TV completely and have subtitles off.

What you're decribing is so not what happened.

Denton

Re Last Wish quest:
Yen likes being in control. The timing probably wasn't the best, but her reasoning for pursuing the Djinn was due to circumstance and history as established by the games. Yen and Geralt were "soul mates", but the games more or less reset that by Geralt's amnesia and total separation from Yen. Wild Hunt is the first time they unite since, and it's under dire circumstances. They barely have time to reconnect. Narratively I took it as their history ultimately weighing on Yen. Despite all that's happened, despite the distance, despite Geralt's fling with Triss, despite their conflict with the hunt, despite losing their memories, Yen still feels things for Geralt which would make meeting up with him again after all that time a little bit confusing and frustrating, especially when she's not sure if he feels the same way in return. Resetting Geralt's wish is a means of putting her mind at ease one way or the other, rather than an exit strategy. After all she still does have feelings for him, so she knows it's real. Whether or not it's still real for Geralt is up to the player.
Nothing to add really, great post.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Lovely.

It's a nice bookened to how they met in the books. She was banging some random dude, he broke in asking for help because Dandelion unleashed a djinn. But after she agrees to help Dandelion, she casts a spell on him that causes him to roam through the village spanking her political enemies. And well, that quest explains the rest.

If anything, the Yenn we got to meet in the games is a marshmellow compared to book Yenn. (Also, she's not all that gorgeous in the books, either).

Been playing this game almost everyday since launch, and still feel I've got so much left to do. I haven't even found Ciri yet... I mean, this is a take over your life and get beats from your wife type of game, but at the same time, I'm mesmerised by it. Such an incredible, powerful and truly massive game. I was bored or stopped playing Skyrim, Oblivion and Dragon Age by this point, but Witcher 3 still has me completely hooked. After the powerhouse that was Bloodborne, I can't believe I'm experiencing yet another toweringly magnificent game directly after. What an incredible 1-2 punch the start of 2015 was.

Yeah, this is not a good game to have if you have pretty much any personal relationships to maintain :lol

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'm under the impression the only real taste of book Yen you get in the games is Letho at the end of Assassin's of Kings, explaining that they tried to hide and protect her ass through Nilfgaard, and she just continually got them into trouble, culminating in their collective arrest.

ramyeon

Finally done with Novigrad! At least for the time being. As much as I disliked it, it did get interesting towards the end.
Ended up blowing off Triss and getting called an arse by Dijkstra, oh well. Also got roped into an assassination plot with him and Roche. Then high tailed it over to Skellige, getting shipwrecked on the way. Man, Skellige is amazing. So much wilderness! The mountains! The snow! The music!!

As if it couldn't get anymore epic, I was sailing over to a small island off the coast when the ocean around me started to rise. I started freaking out thinking I was about to be attacked and it was just a god damned giant whale! So amazing.

Had the quest for the Bear School gear hunt, so I knocked that over. It looks so much better than the Enhanced Griffin stuff I was using. The hit to stamina regen is annoying, but I've decided I might stick with this armour line so I put some points into Adrenaline related skills - using signs with adrenaline, losing less adrenaline when hit etc. Hopefully that helps, I don't use a whole bunch of signs in combat anyway. I've only really upgraded Quen and Igni.

EatChildren

I thought the devs said they'll take place during the main game since there's no real way they can wiggle out of that. There's no post game persay, it just boots you into a pre-endgame state with main quest essentials gutted. First expansion pack takes place in Velen anyway following the Man of Glass (who, if I remember correctly, is the dude you meet at the White Orchard inn at the very start). So it'll use existing landmass. The second expansion pack is the only one that takes place in a new location, and I guess you'll just fast travel there.

I'm under the impression the only real taste of book Yen you get in the games is Letho at the end of Assassin's of Kings, explaining that they tried to hide and protect her ass through Nilfgaard, and she just continually got them into trouble, culminating in their collective arrest.

Hah spot on. When Letho was telling Geralt about it, I was sniggering the entire time thinking "heh that sounds like her alright".

CHC

vs5aShZ.jpg

YIHhcXL.jpg

I get kind of a Mongol vibe from the whole Skellige set.

But yeah I also hope if there is another armor, it will be light. Heavy stuff looks amazing but that recovery time is like arrrgggghhhhhh

DJ_Lae

I fired The Witcher 2 back up to see if I had actually completed the game on PC (I know I had finished it a couple of times on 360 back when it hit consoles). I hadn't.

Game imported my save into The Witcher 3 just fine, although it seems to have made some automatic assumptions regarding Act 3 as I definitely have missing characters that I would like to have seen.

Damn.

boskee

I thought the devs said they'll take place during the main game since there's no real way they can wiggle out of that. There's no post game persay, it just boots you into a pre-endgame state with main quest essentials gutted. First expansion pack takes place in Velen anyway following the Man of Glass (who, if I remember correctly, is the dude you meet at the White Orchard inn at the very start). So it'll use existing landmass. The second expansion pack is the only one that takes place in a new location, and I guess you'll just fast travel there.

Putting second expansion during the main quest doesn't make sense to me in terms of levelling and xp - theyd probably have to rebalance the whole game.

Correct, the first expansion mostly revolves around Oxenfurt.

It's more a matter of what the level requirement will be. Maybe they'll do level-scaling for the expansion, but hopefully not, and in particular I hope they don't make them less than end-game player level, but worst case scenario is that the quests of the expansions will be around level 20 or some such.

Moff

I feel like neither of you paid any attention to the dialogue during that quest at all. Like you muted your TV completely and have subtitles off.

What you're decribing is so not what happened.

I think your interptetation of it is the opposite of mine (and of what cdp intended ).

hm, well first of all I feel I acknowledged in my post yennefers position in the game, so I certainly "got" what CDPR were after. but I feel there is another side to this, I also think it's not accurate that CDPR did not intend to show both sides of this, because in the dialogue choices you do have the opportunity to pretty much voice what I felt.

Philippo

Man, i bought this game Day 1 and waited till the end of my exams session before touching it, now i can't wait to finish this 2 weeks holiday to go back home and finally start it!
I want to play it so much i'll make my thumbs bleed.

aku:jiki

hm, well first of all I feel I acknowledged in my post yennefers position in the game, so I certainly "got" what CDPR were after. but I feel there is another side to this, I also think it's not accurate that CDPR did not intend to show both sides of this, because in the dialogue choices you do have the opportunity to pretty much voice what I felt.
No, you described it as
Yen coming at that problem with malicious intent, like she's hoping that they'll break up. That's not what happens. She does it because she wants to find out if they can have something real, because it means so much to her that she can't deal with the though of it all being fake. If you reject her, she still loves Geralt.

CDPR aren't exactly being subtle about wanting to correct the canon and steer you towards Yen. From the characterization, to the fact that they made Triss less attractive and made Yen like the most attractive female in a game ever, to the fact that Yen's role in the story is much larger, to the Geralt/Ciri/Yen family, even down to the Gwent cards where Yen has the best one. They're straight-up telling you to go with Yen, and are trying to correct their weird decision to leave her out of the previous two games.

Yennefer has quite a few beautiful moments that show who she actually is, some spoilers (not ending ones, but it is still better to enjoy them ingame)

1."Adding" a beard to Avallach's painting while Geralt and Ciri were destroying the laboratory
2.Eavesdropping on Ciri while she was talking to Philippa and being super cute about it
3.Complementing Geralt's beard
4.Kissing Geralt with the biggest gratitude for bringing Ciri back
5."I will bring her back" Yen :"I know you will"
6.G:"I thought you would be angry" Y:"Angry? Why? Because you supported Ciri in her decision or because you fought by her side and won?"
7.Actually squealing when Ciri is back
8.Her willingness to break the djinn's course even though she must have been aware of the possible consequences
9. The supercute pun wordfight with Geralt
10. G:'What if we'd lost?' Y:'Then we wouldn't be having this conversation. And the female half of the continent would be drowning in tears'

She is way more fun to interact with than Triss, for me at least. Even in her angry moments :)
#1 was one of my favorite moments in the endgame. #2, 6, 9 and 10 were also particularly fantastic.

Re Last Wish quest:

I tend to think about it in this way from Yen's perspective:
The love of her life forgot about her (literally) and is now sleeping with her best friend. The thought is so painful that Yen tries to remove Geralt from her life and avoids seeking him out. The situation with Ciri means that she has no choice but to enlist his help again, and does so assuming that the feelings Geralt once had for her are gone - at least that's what I take from the unicorn reference in the note. To me that line reads like Yen feeling she needs to bribe Geralt to even convince him to meet up with her again.

Once she does meet up with him again her ongoing infatuation with him leads her to believe that it must be the Djinn's spell that's responsible - but when it's removed and her feelings haven't changed, she realises that it's (if you'll forgive the cloying cliche) actually love.

As to other aspects of her behaviour, I quite like them because of the way they remind me of real, flawed people rather than stereotypical video game cliches. That's something that's true of quite a few characters in the Witcher.

danowat

Banned
The specific guy in the cage sells 2 cards that you can't get anywhere else, so it's something you'll be stuck with until they patch it. The merchants/innkeeps all take from a set random pool that won't cover everything.

the cards he sells are terrible, too.

Which cards are they?, do you know?

As to other aspects of her behaviour, I quite like them because of the way they remind me of real, flawed people rather than stereotypical video game cliches. That's something that's true of quite a few characters in the Witcher.
Speaking to this part, as much as I love my other game with romance options, say like Persona and Mass Effect, it was a breath of fresh air to have a romantic interest who isn't a dead personality "waifu/husbando" that just jumps into my arms. Yes, she's over-the-top gorgeous, but she feels much more human. She gets angry, is far too pushy, has inside jokes with Geralt, reacts with biting wit, has a cute side and a motherly side and argues with Geralt like an old married couple...since they practically are. Those things help create a character who isn't some perfect love interest...because that doesn't actually exist in the real world, so games trying to create that are just a fantasy escape.

Maybe people want more escapist relationship options, but I'd rather not have so many vapid portrayals of human relationships.

Sober

I get kind of a Mongol vibe from the whole Skellige set.

But yeah I also hope if there is another armor, it will be light. Heavy stuff looks amazing but that recovery time is like arrrgggghhhhhh
Not even close. Geralt is wearing kind of chainmail vest (it looks really silly and impractical, but video games) with some larger plates on the arms; mongols wore lamellar armour.

emag

Putting second expansion during the main quest doesn't make sense to me in terms of levelling and xp - theyd probably have to rebalance the whole game.

Why would CDPR start worrying about game balance with the expansion? TW3 has its strengths, but gameplay is not among them.

Moff

If you reject her, she still loves Geralt.

yeah but she did not know that.
that was the whole point of breaking the curse
you make it sound like she knew she loved him, bu wanted proof that it's "real"
that's where we disagree i guess? I don't think she knew, but needed to know.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Does the latest patch fix the playtime counter? There's nothing about it in the patch notes, but I thought maybe "Improves stability in gameplay and the UI" would include that. No? Oh well, maybe in the next one. Back to Batman.

rakhir

I'm 36 in the end save and i have absolutely nothing to do to get higher, I don't know how I can get to 41...

Speaking to this part, as much as I love my other game with romance options, say like Persona and Mass Effect, it was a breath of fresh air to have a romantic interest who isn't a dead personality "waifu/husbando" that just jumps into my arms.
That's what Triss feels to me, she's that 'waifu' that some people would like to be with in this game.

That's what Triss feels to me, she's that 'waifu' that some people would like to be with in this game.
I guess to be fair, if you played the first two games you might have a connection to Triss from that as well.

TW3 was my intro to the series so I guess I came in with less baggage, plus I brought my growing disdain for one-dimensional idealized romance options. I think Triss is still better than almost all the Persona or Mass Effect options, but in the end Yen just seemed so much more interesting and alive.

Hystzen

Does the latest patch fix the playtime counter? There's nothing about it in the patch notes, but I thought maybe "Improves stability in gameplay and the UI" would include that. No? Oh well, maybe in the next one. Back to Batman.

What????

You not playing game because you can't get a counter working and see how long you spent in game

What??

Man stuff I see on GAF

ramyeon

I mean it'd be nice to be able to keep track of playtime. I've been playing for days and it says 5 hours or something ridiculous on mine. But it's not a good reason to put off playing this game.

I mean it'd be nice to be able to keep track of playtime. I've been playing for days and it says 5 hours or something ridiculous on mine. But it's not a good reason to put off playing this game.

Mine says that I have been been playing for 9 days and 12 hours. No way in hell I have been playing that much.

What????

You not playing game because you can't get a counter working and see how long you spent in game

What??

Man stuff I see on GAF

zVhoeCK.gif

On a personal note I finished the Kingmaker quest line in Skellige last night. Went with
Cerys in the end. She just seemed a lot more level headed than Hjalmar. He reminded me of a young Robert Baratheon. Good warrior, shit King. Getting pretty much all his men killed on his hunt for the ice giant was pretty damn stupid.

Does anyone have any non-spoilery advice you can give to someone about to play the game? I'll be ready to dive right into it after my 2-weeks holiday (no reason to start it now when I won't be able to play it for a while).
I played both the first and second game during the last month (or less actually, two-three weeks maybe?), Steam tells me 36 hours for the first and 32 for the second. I did most of the side quests (the ones that looked interesting enough at least) in both games. What big changes from the previous ones (apart from open-world obviously) should I be aware of? I'm a bit "worried" about managing quests, but the rest, from what I have read, seems to be pretty similar to the second game.

Does anyone have any non-spoilery advice you can give to someone about to play the game? I'll be ready to dive right into it after my 2-weeks holiday (no reason to start it now when I won't be able to play it for a while).
I played both the first and second game during the last month (or less actually, two-three weeks maybe?), Steam tells me 36 hours for the first and 32 for the second. I did most of the side quests (the ones that looked interesting enough at least) in both games. What big changes from the previous ones (apart from open-world obviously) should I be aware of? I'm a bit "worried" about managing quests, but the rest, from what I have read, seems to be pretty similar to the second game.

One piece of advice would be the same thing I'd say about Dragon Age Inquisition. Don't linger in one place too long. I left for Skellige too late and was over-leveled for a lot of the quests and by that time I'd grown pretty fatigued of Velen/Novigrad. It's best to mix it up a little.

Vintage

My advice is to turn off POI's on map. The game is filled with such points and majority of them are just bandit camps of hidden chest, nothing substantial. You'll run into them anyway. When you see a village (or just a region) you haven't been to on the map, go and explore it yourself, you don't need special markers to realize that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom