• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness price revealed ($39.99 / €36.99)

LordKinbote

Neo Member
Warning, people: the spoiler gate has been lifted, and they're starting to flood through. I was on the Witness subreddit on a speculation thread about what kinds of puzzles that we thought would be in the game, and someone shared a solution to a puzzle that was both NOT speculative and, as far as I know, NOT revealed elsewhere. Granted, it was covered with spoiler tags and started with "we know that" as if it were common knowledge, but it most assuredly was not.

So if you're planning on playing the game unspoiled, it might be best to step out of game discussion right around now.

Corto

Excellent point, and one I hadn't thought of. I hope this title does exceptionally well as I said above. I'm admittedly not familiar with some of those titles, let alone sales for any of those, so I may not be as qualified to comment here as I'd initially thought. Admittedly I'm coming more from the console side of things where I see people complain about indies costing more than $5 and where I see people complain about indies not coming free to PS+ immediately *and* devaluing them as not worthy of their price point to the extent to which they should have a massive day one PS+ discount and also besmirching Sony for deigning to release an indie game in PS+ rather than Knack. Also, FWIW often I see Steam users talking about how if a game is more than x amount they'll wait for a steam sale and that they'll wait for one regardless. But since I don't follow Steam threads much I might have misconception there, and on the console front hopefully it's a vocal minority giving me the wrong impression.

Thinking on it further, I can't in good conscience argue with another poster that the internet is potentially misrepresentative of popular opinion in one thread and then come in here and say that because the internet makes things out to be a certain way, we can use that to predict sales patterns. So perhaps my connection there is totally pointless and misguided.

Blow has a huge clout as a game creator on the more militant public. Braid garnered him that. These people are waiting for his next game for 8 years now. If this game is indeed as good as it seems, these will buy the game week 1, and the word of mouth will spread like fire. These alpha consumers, early adopters will become the best marketing tool The Witness could ever have, and for free. Most of those that will be on the fence because of the price point, or any other reason, will then be persuaded to buy the game by this movement. The more price sensitive crowd will buy this on sales or promotions, but expecting more than 20% sales on the first year will be unrealistic.

Vexidus

These alpha consumers, early adopters will become the best marketing tool The Witness could ever have, and for free.

I have a feeling that lots of YouTubers and Twitch streamers will pick up this game to play, and give it more exposure than Braid ever got. Even the visual style alone will be enough to sell some people. I think this game will do much better than many people are expecting.

MrBS

I might have purchased on steam already if there was a preload. While I wait I'm still hoping GMG or the like will be picking this up to take the edge off.

Despera

Banned
Warning, people: the spoiler gate has been lifted, and they're starting to flood through. I was on the Witness subreddit on a speculation thread about what kinds of puzzles that we thought would be in the game, and someone shared a solution to a puzzle that was both NOT speculative and, as far as I know, NOT revealed elsewhere. Granted, it was covered with spoiler tags and started with "we know that" as if it were common knowledge, but it most assuredly was not.

So if you're planning on playing the game unspoiled, it might be best to step out of game discussion right around now.
Thanks for the heads up.

Top Bottom