• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There are 720 Pokémon, but who's your Number 1?

Boney

Banned
I can't choose, I love everything GEN 1 and 2
I think my fav is
Ms8IItO.jpg
What does it mean

Subitai

I switch mine whenever I see a superior mon.

Arcanine held my favorite mon for 3 gens. Then came Garchomp. Then came Braviary (a.k.a. Freedombird). But Gen 6 came and has given me something, the most gracious Pokemon that ever came out.

tyrantsd_by_lintufriikki-d6r2awg.png

MOTHERFUCKING TYRANTRUM
I raise you Slaking. ;)

slakong_vs_tyrantrum_by_shawnnl-d6p262e.png

Whats the Pokemon community hate for "GenWunners". Like why was the meme/epithet created?
A lot of threads are sort of sabotaged by people coming in and drive-by posting things like "wow the designs have gotten so bad". These people, blinded by nostalgia, are annoying.

Whats the Pokemon community hate for "GenWunners". Like why was the meme/epithet created?

Because there's a substantial portion of people who haven't given the franchise a chance since gen 1 and/or 2 who constantly throw hate on newer generations, while simultaneously ignoring all the flaws that gen 1 had. The people who insist they need to get rid of any pokemon after gen 1 and reboot the franchise. The people who complain about how newer gens have pokemon based on objects while ignoring things like Magnemite, Muk, and whatever the fuck Koffing and Weezing are

Macka

People who haven't played the games since Red/Blue/Gold/Silver trashing everything new when the only thing that has really changed is that those people didn't grow up with the newer designs.

With that said, I've played every game in the series since Red/Blue and the vast majority of my favourites still hail from Kanto.

My favorite cartoon monster thing is so much better than yours. Of course, I have higher standards, since I've only played the OG Pokemon games, when Pokemon had designs based on real life phenomena and were backed by interesting lore and functions for their designs. Not like I'm interested in actually knowing the lore and function behind newer Pokemon concepts anyway, they're all crap because I say so/because I didn't grow up with them, and therefore I assume there's no thought behind them at all. That assumption makes it easier for me to act like a dickhead who's perpetually in the wrong in every Pokemon thread, which is the only reason I even show up in them to begin with.

That's a genwunner

Nekemancer

Neo Member
raticate.jpg

I love a bunch that have already been posted, but Raticate hasn't gotten a mention yet. I think I've had one in almost every one of my playthroughs.

To be fair, I haven't played since gen 1, so take it with a grain of salt.

kagamin

Close tie between my favs:
Mawile (favorite since gen 3 [the mega evolution made me so happy]):
250px-303Mawile.png

and Misdreavus (Mismagius is a close third probably [tanky Misdreavus so good]):
tumblr_n39l9gBaLm1szx1oxo1_500.gif

Nightbird

I was actually preparing an answer for that, but those two say it perfectly:

People who haven't played the games since Red/Blue/Gold/Silver trashing everything new when the only thing that has really changed is that those people didn't grow up with the newer designs.

With that said, I've played every game in the series since Red/Blue and the vast majority of my favourites still hail from Kanto.

My favorite cartoon monster thing is so much better than yours. Of course, I have higher standards, since I've only played the OG Pokemon games, when Pokemon had designs based on real life phenomena and were backed by interesting lore and functions for their designs. Not like I'm interested in actually knowing the lore and function of newer Pokemon anyway, they're all crap because I say so, and I assume there's no thought behind them at all. That assumption makes it easier for me to act like a dickhead who's perpetually in the wrong in every Pokemon thread, which is the only reason I even show up in them to begin with.

That's a genwunner

Basically, a Genwunner is someone who hasn't played a Pokémon Game in almost 2 Decades now, and critizises the newer Games for not being like the ones he remembers from his Childhood.

My pick just has to be the obvious: BellSprout
bellsprout.jpg

He's just so cute.

For the coolness factor, though, Imma have to pick Scyther
250px-123Scyther.png

You can't beat the blade arms

Azure J

I can't pick just one overall, it's too hard. :lol

Best Fire: Blaziken & Arcanine (tie; runner up Charizard)
Best Water: Greninja (runner up Blastoise [that first starter ever bias])
Best Grass: Ferrothorn in utility, Leavanny/Serperior in design (this type needs help)
Best Electric: Jolteon (runners up Zapdos & Eelektross)
Best Dragon: Dragonite the motherfuckin' OG
Best Psychic: Espeon
Best Ghost: Gengar (runner up Jellicent & Chandelure)
Best Dark: Hydreigon
Best Bug: Volcarona
Best Rock: TBD (tentatively Diancie)
Best Ice: Lapras
Best Steel: Scizor
Best Fighting:
Best Flying: Lugia (YO GEN 2 AEROBLAST THE GOD)
Best Fairy: Gardevoir
Best Normal: Spinda

Pokemon I can't go without: Jolteon, Arcanine, Dragonite, Scizor, Blaziken, Greninja (newest entrant)
Bonus: Best Cute Pokemon/My Personal Mascot: Spinda

Sigmaah

If I gotta go with one Pokémon it's gonna have to be piplup and it's evolutions.

Empoleon is just so badass to me, especially coming from being a cute lil penguin.

I like TONS of them, but I gotta pikPikachu as well. He's my main in Smash (heck, I don't pick anyone else), and I'm always Pikachu in the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon series.

Esque7

Genwunners are really annoying, but the quality of designs has fluctuated through each Gen, imo. I'd say gen 4 is easily the worst, then gen 2. I think gen 5 has the best though.

Genwunners are really annoying, but the quality of designs has fluctuated through each Gen, imo. I'd say gen 4 is easily the worst, then gen 2. I think gen 5 has the best though.

This is honestly one of the first times I've heard someone call gen V the best. Gen V does have some really amazing designs, but it honestly does have a lot of really weak and ugly ones as well

Macka

Gen IV designs were great imo, there just weren't enough new Pokemon that weren't evolutions of old ones. I also loathe Unova designs (only region where I couldn't fill a team before the Elite Four) so...opinions, huh?

Macka

Seriously though...Luxray, Staraptor, Buizel, Spiritomb, Lucario, Hippowdon, Toxicroak, Abomasnow and Rotom are all great, and then you have the evolutions. Mismagius, Honchkrow, Weavile, Electivire, Togekiss, Tangrowth, Mamoswine, Gliscor, Yanmega, Porygon-Z, Gallade, Dusknoir and Froslass are all excellent designs imo. It's really just the excess (and mostly shitty) legends that tarnish the Sinnoh dex.

Edit: Sorry! Figured someone would have posted by now.

Seriously though...Luxray, Staraptor, Buizel, Spiritomb, Lucario, Hippowdon, Toxicroak, Abomasnow and Rotom are all great, and then you have the evolutions. Mismagius, Honchkrow, Weavile, Electivire, Togekiss, Tangrowth, Mamoswine, Gliscor, Yanmega, Porygon-Z, Gallade, Dusknoir and Froslass are all excellent designs imo. It's really just the excess (and mostly shitty) legends that tarnish the Sinnoh dex.

Those first ones are all great! I don't like most of those evolutions though. The first form of the starters also really suck.

Esque7

This is honestly one of the first times I've heard someone call gen V the best. Gen V does have some really amazing designs, but it honestly does have a lot of really weak and ugly ones as well

Gen IV designs were great imo, there just weren't enough new Pokemon that weren't evolutions of old ones. I also loathe Unova designs (only region where I couldn't fill a team before the Elite Four) so...opinions, huh?

There were a few stinkers (literally) but every gen has some poopy designs. Plus, Volcarona invalidates anything bad in Gen 5. I had the exact opposite reaction to Unova in regards to filling my team! There were just too many I wanted to use. I also think Diamond left a terrible taste in my mouth, I wasn't going to play any more games after that one because it just felt so half assed to me. Then White/Black came around and pulled me right back in lol.

Kyzer

Banned
This is the single hardest question of all time and I can't choose and its always changing

Edit: It's between these two:

250px-650Chespin.png

007.png

This is the single hardest question of all time and I can't choose and its always changing

I mean, this is the right answer. There's 720 of them, if you're seriously suggesting you have ONE stand-out favourite I'm calling you out, you're lying. It'll change by tomorrow morning.

Personally, I'm switching between Hitmontop and Golurk, usually. Scizor, Dragonite, Leafeon, Krookodile and Gallade are all strong contenders for that spot too, though.

Crayolan

Aside from Staraptor and Rotom I'm pretty lukewarm on all those Sinnoh mons. I think my biggest problem with gen 4 designs is the large majority of the ones I like are just evolutions of older mons. Most of the Sinnoh originals are just meh for me, with a few that are just plain bad.

I mean, this is the right answer. There's 720 of them, if you're seriously suggesting you have ONE stand-out favourite I'm calling you out, you're lying. It'll change by tomorrow morning.

Personally, I'm switching between Hitmontop and Golurk, usually. Scizor, Dragonite, Leafeon, Krookodile and Gallade are all strong contenders for that spot too, though.

Until another Pokemon comes around that's even half as hilarious as a hivemind of badass goose barnacles precariously balanced on top of one another, I'm pretty sure my favorite will remain Barbaracle

Macka

There were a few stinkers (literally) but every gen has some poopy designs. Plus, Volcarona invalidates anything bad in Gen 5. I had the exact opposite reaction to Unova in regards to filling my team! There were just too many I wanted to use. I also think Diamond left a terrible taste in my mouth, I wasn't going to play any more games after that one because it just felt so half assed to me. Then White/Black came around and pulled me right back in lol.
Haha, it was Black/White that almost killed the series for me. I didn't like any of the starters and found the region incredibly dull and linear. I also didn't like that they blatantly tried to recreate the magic of Kanto in the designs themselves. So many of the Unova Pokemon are conceptually ripped off of Kanto (or other popular designs).

Audino = Chansey
Conkeldurr line = Machamp line
Patrat line = Raticate line
Musharna line = Hypno line (dream eater idea)
Zebstrika line = Rapidash line (elemental horse)
Gigalith line = Golem line (trade evo rock beast)
Throh/Sawk = Hitmonlee/Hitmonchan
Swoobat line = Golbat line
Trubbish line = Muk line
Bouffalant = Taurus
Jellicent line = Tentacruel line
Amoongus line = Electrode line (Pokeball mimics)
Excadrill line = combination of Dugtrio and Sandslash.
Klinklang line - Magneton (inanimate object come to life)
Seismitoad line = Poliwrath line (tympole even starts as a tadpole)
Unfezant line = Pidgeot line (looser connection here, since regional birds are common)
Genesect = Mewtwo (genetically modified by Team 'X')

That was just off the top of my head so I'm probably missing some. Zoroark was also a clear attempt at creating a Lucario 2.0

There are Pokemon in Unova that I like the idea behind more than the actual design itself...if that makes sense? I mean Scrafty is a trouser snake so it's cool that they incorporated that into its design, but I still think it's ugly as hell. Chandelure is a perfect concept for a fire/ghost...but I just don't like how it looks. I could go on and on. :/ Volcarona falls into this as well, not that it would have mattered since you can't use it until after the Elite Four and it doesn't evolve until level 59 lol. That's actually a big problem with Unova - so many Pokemon don't evolve until level 50+. Don't know why they did that.

This was longer than I meant it to be. I really dislike Unova. :(

Top Bottom