• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There are 720 Pokémon, but who's your Number 1?

Gen V does have a bunch of older pokemon mimics but you're really stretching on some of these. Not every horse is a rapidash knock-off, not every jellyfish is a tentacruel knock-off.

Most of the problem comes from gen V having 150 pokemon again and as a result they have a bunch of derivative fill-ins just to push up the dex number. Every gen has some of these, but gen V has the most because they purposely tried to inflate the regional dex to make the no older pokemon till postgame idea work.
How is musharna a stretch? That's the most obvious one, they're both based on the same mythological dream stealing tapir monster lol. I'm surprised there's even one of those in Pokemon, but two?

Milotic is the GOAT. Beautiful and deadly design

Milotic.full.1397538.jpg

I only remember the first gen, because that's basically the only one I really followed. I'd have to go with Dugtrio. Because of Pokémon Red/Blue/Yellow where you could catch him in that one tunnel near the 3rd gym I think it was, and he'd fucking help the living shit out of my team.

And Kabutops, cause he was my favourite looking Pokémon back in the day.

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
Ah fuck it, let's just go with the GOAT:
206Dunsparce.png

Here's hoping that's the next Pokkén reveal! His play style would rely upon keeping your opponent from actually doing anything.

Number one in the hood, B. Dunsparce Is the best Pokémon, and Paraflinch Dunsparce is my favorite battle Pokémon (not that I ever actually used it outside of shoddybattle). He needs two things:

1. Retcon to Fairy type, or Fairy/Normal.
2. Evolution into a goddamn Quetzalcoatl, a badass feathered serpent god, with Fairy/Dragon type. Maybe an alternate evolution of Fairy/Poison that fits more with the original Tsuchinoko basis with venom fangs. But that would be fat and stubby in comparison...

Glix

I only remember the first gen, because that's basically the only one I really followed. I'd have to go with Dugtrio. Because of Pokémon Red/Blue/Yellow where you could catch him in that one tunnel near the 3rd gym I think it was, and he'd fucking help the living shit out of my team.

And Kabutops, cause he was my favourite looking Pokémon back in the day.

dugtrio is awesome

Caayn

Well, not one, but two, I always carry these two with me. Don't know why but from the moment I first saw them I was captured by them. Since gen 3 I've always had them with me.

Latias_BW.gif
Latios_BW.gif

200px-Latias_and_Latios.png

Number one in the hood, B. Dunsparce Is the best Pokémon, and Paraflinch Dunsparce is my favorite battle Pokémon (not that I ever actually used it outside of shoddybattle). He needs two things:

1. Retcon to Fairy type, or Fairy/Normal.
2. Evolution into a goddamn Quetzalcoatl, a badass feathered serpent god, with Fairy/Dragon type. Maybe an alternate evolution of Fairy/Poison that fits more with the original Tsuchinoko basis with venom fangs. But that would be fat and stubby in comparison...
Ooh, that's a great idea. I could easily see the Quetzalcoatl thing working well for a Mega! I actually had a paraflinch Dunsparce in the old Pokemon Stadium Wii game (the IVs weren't perfect, but still). Sooo many disconnects haha

Damn now I have to make one too. Apparently I relly like Gens 1 and 3. And hate Gen 5.
m2bKM9K.png

Also while I was making this I realized how shitty everything (well not everything) looks in the newest games. Like this is Parasect. What the fuck is that? Hopefully that's fixed in the new one.
047.png

They got Groudon right which is the weird thing.

I can't choose, I love everything GEN 1 and 2
I think my fav is
Ms8IItO.jpg

Primeape proving his superiority, what a champ.

While I've returned I'm gonna give some love to some of my runner ups that I haven't seen posted (I think, there's many posts in here after all)
Abomasnow is a tree yeti, that's just glorious.

Steelix has the mightiest jaw

Krokorok is just one cool customer, I almost don't want it to evolve.

There are so many fantastic Pokemon that choosing only one is difficult. That said, if there is one that I make sure is on my team every single playthrough of every single game, it has to be Electabuzz.
125.gif

CAR105 3

Charizard(Mega-Y, Mega-X and normal) are the one true GOAT

And Dragonite is close behind.

Still waiting in on that Mega-Dragonite

Totodile
250px-158Totodile.png

Since I played Pokemon Silver as a kid, I've loved this little dude. Hundreds of Pokemon later, he still remains my #1.

Growlie19

Nice to see so many Arcanine mentions. The Growlithe line is the best. Recently, Gogoat has taken my number two spot. I'm honestly surprised it hasn't gotten a mention yet. Mountaineer served me well in Y.

Blaziken_(dream_world).png

Not really sure why, I grew up on gen 1 and 2 first and have a lot of favorites from those gens, but when gen 3 came around I absolutely fell in love with Blaziken. I think it might've had something to do with that anime episode where Ash gets his ass beat by a Blaziken trainer prior to gen 3 even starting. Shit was coolest thing ever. Even now I think Blaziken is pretty badass.

Blaziken is the GOAT.

Best part of my Gen 3 experience was having this badass leading the team.

The_Lump

Banned
Pikachu is king, obv.

But excluding Yellow, then Zapdos was my most used, Mewtwo was my favourite to catch and I guess Scyther was always my favourite design wise.

I choose not to recognise any Pokemon numbered after Mew.

egruntz

shelaughz

This guy is my go-to. He's my lead in all teams he's legal for, including OU or U. Fake Out --> Beat Up + King's Rock (~60% Flinch chance, 1HKO's Gengar who is a common counter to Ambipom yet still slower than Ambipom) has sweeped entire teams. Beat Up is super annoying unless they resist it. Then it's time to U-Turn out.

He also counters annoying set up leads with Snatch. ;)

Love this guy.

Scrafty is a runner-up. Much more predictable competitively, though, so I don't always use him.

Top Bottom