• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There are 720 Pokémon, but who's your Number 1?

GROUDOUN:

HDldsuL.jpg

This BADASS get motherfucking Solarbeam FO FREE and 150% damage Fire Blast. Oh wait, what, it's actually a GROUND type that also has STAB EARTHQUAKE. Goddamn.

Macka

I mean, this is the right answer. There's 720 of them, if you're seriously suggesting you have ONE stand-out favourite I'm calling you out, you're lying. It'll change by tomorrow morning.
Charizard is and has always been my clear favourite. That hasn't changed once in fifteen or so years so I'm pretty comfortable in my answer. :p

My top ten does fluctuate a bit every so often though.

Nightbird

I mean, this is the right answer. There's 720 of them, if you're seriously suggesting you have ONE stand-out favourite I'm calling you out, you're lying. It'll change by tomorrow morning.

Personally, I'm switching between Hitmontop and Golurk, usually. Scizor, Dragonite, Leafeon, Krookodile and Gallade are all strong contenders for that spot too, though.

True true, wich i started off by naming two in the OP, but you can always choose randomly one, or tell us wich are the ones that stayed the longest in your favourites right? :p

Crayolan

Haha, it was Black/White that almost killed the series for me. I didn't like any of the starters and found the region incredibly dull and linear. I also didn't like that they blatantly tried to recreate the magic of Kanto in the designs themselves. So many of the Unova Pokemon are conceptually ripped off of Kanto (or other popular designs).

Audino = Chansey
Conkeldurr line = Machamp line
Patrat line = Raticate line
Musharna line = Hypno line (dream eater idea)
Zebstrika line = Rapidash line (elemental horse)
Gigalith line = Golem line (trade evo rock beast)
Throh/Sawk = Hitmonlee/Hitmonchan
Swoobat line = Golbat line
Trubbish line = Muk line
Bouffalant = Taurus
Jellicent line = Tentacruel line
Amoongus line = Electrode line (Pokeball mimics)
Excadrill line = combination of Dugtrio and Sandslash.
Klinklang line - Magneton (inanimate object come to life)
Seismitoad line = Poliwrath line (tympole even starts as a tadpole)
Unfezant line = Pidgeot line (looser connection here, since regional birds are common)
Genesect = Mewtwo (genetically modified by Team 'X')

That was just off the top of my head so I'm probably missing some. Zoroark was also a clear attempt at creating a Lucario 2.0

There are Pokemon in Unova that I like the idea behind more than the actual design itself...if that makes sense? I mean Scrafty is a trouser snake so it's cool that they incorporated that into its design, but I still think it's ugly as hell. Chandelure is a perfect concept for a fire/ghost...but I just don't like how it looks. I could go on and on. :/ Volcarona falls into this as well, not that it would have mattered since you can't use it until after the Elite Four and it doesn't evolve until level 59 lol. That's actually a big problem with Unova - so many Pokemon don't evolve until level 50+. Don't know why they did that.

This was longer than I meant it to be. I really dislike Unova. :(

Gen V does have a bunch of older pokemon mimics but you're really stretching on some of these. Not every horse is a rapidash knock-off, not every jellyfish is a tentacruel knock-off.

Most of the problem comes from gen V having 150 pokemon again and as a result they have a bunch of derivative fill-ins just to push up the dex number. Every gen has some of these, but gen V has the most because they purposely tried to inflate the regional dex to make the no older pokemon till postgame idea work.

I always liked the pick one from every gen challenge cause it makes things easier for me

Lapras
Ampharos
Gardevoir
Staraptor
Chandelure
Chesnaught

Also Ghost is amazing so pretty much every Ghost type.

Ninetales and Pidgeot are two of my favorites.

But I've gotta give it to Dewgong. Always liked its design, but what makes it my favorite is a funny story. I was playing Pokemon Red when I was younger, and had just managed to barely beat Lance, with Dewgong as my only remaining 'mon and only a little HP left. I thought I had beaten the game, but nooooooo, that asshat Blue became Champion before I did. I figured it was going to be a losing battle considering the circumstances, but I went on with it anyway.

Dewgong proceeds to get 5 Critical Hit OHKO Ice Beams off in a row, completely destroying Blue's team. (Mind you, Dewgong is only at Level 56 or so at this point) Alakazam almost got me since Ice Beam didn't kill, but Psychic missed for whatever reason. I know now, that the whole thing was a case of the RNG gods blessing me, but it hasn't stopped me from making sure I have a Dewgong on pretty much every team rotation I've had over the years.

Daingurse

People always think I'm weird for this, but my favourite Pokemon is Mr. Mime/バリヤード

qGyB8GS.png

He's kind of weird himself I guess, but I've always just loved how he's so unique. There's no other Pokemon like him and I just find him really cool.

I actually respect this highly.

My favorite Poke is Tyranitar, because the motherfucker is Godzilla.

tyranitar.jpg

Salvadora

This thread has made me realise that, despite hating some Pokemon designs (looking at you gen 3), they knock it out of the park more often then not.

Generally I favour the even numbered gens so I hope the next main lines don't disappoint.

Macka

Gen V does have a bunch of older pokemon mimics but you're really stretching on some of these. Not every horse is a rapidash knock-off, not every jellyfish is a tentacruel knock-off.

Most of the problem comes from gen V having 150 pokemon again and as a result they have a bunch of derivative fill-ins just to push up the dex number. Every gen has some of these, but gen V has the most because they purposely tried to inflate the regional dex to make the no older pokemon till postgame idea work.
I said conceptually. Musharna and Hypno don't look anything alike, yes, but both are based on the idea of a dream eater, while Garbodor and Muk are both waste personified. I'd give you that the others are a bit more a stretch, but they still do fall within the same general outline of the Kanto Pokemon I connected them to.

It doesn't really matter though - you either like the designs or you don't.

As a passionate fan of Pokemon throughout the years, I can only pick one per generation - asking more of me is simply unreasonable.

Gen I - Blastoise
250px-009Blastoise.png

My first game was Blue, so of course I had to pick the guy on the cover - named him Shellshock after the Blastoise from the first movie.
He's a giant turtle with cannons on his back. The appeal doesn't really have to be explained.

Gen II - Tyranitar
250px-248Tyranitar.png

The first pseudo-legendary that really spoke to me after the dopey-looking Dragonite.
As a fan of Godzilla as a kid, I made the connection between him and T-tar right away. Dude looks pissed off all the time and eats mountains.

Gen III - Sceptile
250px-254Sceptile.png

Gen III is the gen I skipped, so I never got to realize the awesomeness that is Sceptile until I trained one in Gen V. Probably my favorite sweeper period.
His expression is that of a creature that knows it's going to win and therefore barely expends itself.

Gen IV - Toxicroak
250px-454Toxicroak.png

Interesting typing and a striking appearance.
Always loved Croagunk and Toxicroak for how sneaky they looked. I like the "underhanded fighter" archetype they inhabit.

Gen V - Volcarona
250px-637Volcarona.png

Probably the only bug-type I'd classify as majestic. Might tie with Sceptile as my favorite sweeper.
Everything from the high level at with Larvesta evolves to the fact that you have to level him to 100 to learn his signature move makes him feel like a pseudo-legendary.

Gen VI - Malamar
250px-687Malamar.png

What an awesome fucking Pokemon. Gen VI is the first gen where I got really into competitive battling, and I had so much fun with Malamar.
His interesting typing, ability, and method of evolution make him particularly memorable. Saved me against many an Aegislash-user.

Eblo

250px-061Poliwhirl.png

Poliwhirl is easily the best Pokemon by miles; nothing else comes close imo. Poliwhirl is perfect as is and doesn't need to evolve. If you try to force Poliwhirl to evolve with a water stone, Poliwhirl just becomes very angry that you doubted Poliwhirl's perfection, and Poliwhirl bulks up in muscle strength. Poliwhirl is flawless and should not be messed with.

Blues1990

As for general cuteness, Delibird has always been my favourite in that regard. I mean, how can you hate a chubby bird that delivers presents?

240px-225Delibird.png

But, as far as Pokemon that are great for competitive battling, my mainstay has always been Crobat for me. This guy has gotten me out of a lot of tough jams in the past.

240px-169Crobat.png

Esque7

Haha, it was Black/White that almost killed the series for me. I didn't like any of the starters and found the region incredibly dull and linear. I also didn't like that they blatantly tried to recreate the magic of Kanto in the designs themselves. So many of the Unova Pokemon are conceptually ripped off of Kanto (or other popular designs).

Audino = Chansey
Conkeldurr line = Machamp line
Patrat line = Raticate line
Musharna line = Hypno line (dream eater idea)
Zebstrika line = Rapidash line (elemental horse)
Gigalith line = Golem line (trade evo rock beast)
Throh/Sawk = Hitmonlee/Hitmonchan
Swoobat line = Golbat line
Trubbish line = Muk line
Bouffalant = Taurus
Jellicent line = Tentacruel line
Amoongus line = Electrode line (Pokeball mimics)
Excadrill line = combination of Dugtrio and Sandslash.
Klinklang line - Magneton (inanimate object come to life)
Seismitoad line = Poliwrath line (tympole even starts as a tadpole)
Unfezant line = Pidgeot line (looser connection here, since regional birds are common)
Genesect = Mewtwo (genetically modified by Team 'X')

That was just off the top of my head so I'm probably missing some. Zoroark was also a clear attempt at creating a Lucario 2.0

There are Pokemon in Unova that I like the idea behind more than the actual design itself...if that makes sense? I mean Scrafty is a trouser snake so it's cool that they incorporated that into its design, but I still think it's ugly as hell. Chandelure is a perfect concept for a fire/ghost...but I just don't like how it looks. I could go on and on. :/ Volcarona falls into this as well, not that it would have mattered since you can't use it until after the Elite Four and it doesn't evolve until level 59 lol. That's actually a big problem with Unova - so many Pokemon don't evolve until level 50+. Don't know why they did that.

This was longer than I meant it to be. I really dislike Unova. :(
It definitely tried to recapture Kanto with a new coat of paint, but that's part of what I liked about it (also every gen follows a similar design structure to Kanto, but Unova was just much more up front about it). The fact that none of the past pokemon were available pre-e4 was refreshing for me and I didn't have to worry about having Tentacool or Zubat showing up all the time! With Sinnoh though, I felt it relied too much on the past pokemon. It also didn't help that some of the new evolutions were unobtainable until post game (IIRC). The lack of fire pokemon and just diversity in general also hurt the experience for me, plus the extremely slow gameplay.
Edit: realizing I'm talking more about the games than the designs now, bit off topic.

I've recently realized that my top 6 (sorry, can't choose one) are all from gen 5, my favourite generation. I used to have favourites like Pikachu and Togekiss but I've come to realize I prefer others over them. I replayed Black with this team a month ago and then I ended up beating Black 2 a month later with the same team and didn't get bored of them.

250px-587Emolga.png

I like Emolga's design more than Pikachu, and with Motor Drive as its ability I've found it to be much more useful to me than Pikachu was.

250px-579Reuniclus.png

This Pokemon really surprised me. It was cute so I thought it was a single stage Pokemon; imagine my shock when it was the final form in a 3 evolution line. It was so different than any other Pokemon I used before; usually glass cannons. But I love this Pokemon a lot.

250px-497Serperior.png
250px-500Emboar.png
250px-503Samurott.png

The first time I've liked all three starters in a generation. Their designs are absolutely incredible and I love their inspirations. Since I love samurai, I prefer Samurott slightly over the others. I wish they were a bit more effective but they're good enough for me.

250px-612Haxorus.png

Finally, the first Dragon Pokemon I've ever wanted to use. I've always wanted to use a Dragon type but none of their designs were interesting to me until Haxorus came about. This is definitely the most badass Pokemon design in the whole series for me.

Gen 5 was amazing and beautiful. Odd numbered gens seem to be the most refreshing to me. I like seeing new Pokémon. I guess I just don't tend to dislike designs very much

I can't pick just one overall, it's too hard. :lol

Best Fire: Blaziken & Arcanine (tie; runner up Charizard)
Best Water: Greninja (runner up Blastoise [that first starter ever bias])
Best Grass: Ferrothorn in utility, Leavanny/Serperior in design (this type needs help)
Best Electric: Jolteon (runners up Zapdos & Eelektross)
Best Dragon: Dragonite the motherfuckin' OG
Best Psychic: Espeon
Best Ghost: Gengar (runner up Jellicent & Chandelure)
Best Dark: Hydreigon
Best Bug: Volcarona
Best Rock: TBD (tentatively Diancie)
Best Ice: Lapras
Best Steel: Scizor
Best Fighting:
Best Flying: Lugia (YO GEN 2 AEROBLAST THE GOD)
Best Fairy: Gardevoir
Best Normal: Spinda

Pokemon I can't go without: Jolteon, Arcanine, Dragonite, Scizor, Blaziken, Greninja (newest entrant)
Bonus: Best Cute Pokemon/My Personal Mascot: Spinda
I remember in the ORAS OT we showed our faves from each type using this template
fave6s0k.png

This was mine.

Firemind

The only thing wrong with Scizor is that it doesn't have an awesome clover green and silver motif. Otherwise, no.

You're right about Jolteon tho. ;)
I'm sorry. I'm still salty Pinsir was never given a proper evolution while Scyther, Electabuzz, Magmar, Chansey, Porygon did. Even friggin Lickitung got an evolution. Farfetch'd am cry.

DrD

Dragonite

It's very powerful, especially with multiscale + weakness policy, and also reminds me of myself.

Azure J

I remember in the ORAS OT we showed our faves from each type using this template
fave6s0k.png

This was mine.

This is pretty rad, is there a link to generate these or was it a member specific thing?

This also reminds me that I have yet to finish my content grind in OR and haven't played the game in almost 4 months. :lol

Top Bottom