• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There Came An Echo |OT| Out on PS4

mantidor

So... how many languages does it support? my menu is all in portuguese since I live in Brazil, but my commands are not getting recognised and I'm guessing is because of pronounciation, which is terrible since I'm not a native speaker.

Finally got round to playing this and loving it so far. I have a strong brummy accent and once I changed it to UK English I had no problems with the voice commands. A couple of hours in and it's awesome. Thanks Feep for the code. Will be suggesting this to a fair few friends that's for sure.

Soundtrack is awesome too. Where can I get my hands on it?

Amzin

Played like an hour the night before last, when I had my microphone in the sweet spot it worked amazingly, but it was hard as fuck to find that sweet spot (involved holding it up in front of me just so). I think it would help if the mic sensitivity was more diverse, like a slider instead of 3 settings.

Should I still be in the beta mode for the game? Or have the patches all gone live at this point?

After playing it a bit more I hit a really huge difficulty spike for me. I'm on the level where you have to
override several consoles whilst turrets are being deployed
I'm trying my hardest but the jump in difficulty has made me put the game down for today. Just can't get past it whatever I do. Still I've had fun with it up until this point!

Finally got round to playing this and loving it so far. I have a strong brummy accent and once I changed it to UK English I had no problems with the voice commands. A couple of hours in and it's awesome. Thanks Feep for the code. Will be suggesting this to a fair few friends that's for sure.

Soundtrack is awesome too. Where can I get my hands on it?

You can buy it on steam, should be on the game's storefront page.

After playing it a bit more I hit a really huge difficulty spike for me. I'm on the level where you have to
override several consoles whilst turrets are being deployed
I'm trying my hardest but the jump in difficulty has made me put the game down for today. Just can't get past it whatever I do. Still I've had fun with it up until this point!

If it's the level I'm thinking of, the trick is to
leave one team member at each console, remember who they were, and every so often tell them to "Activate Override". So, for example, if you left Corrin and Grace at the first two consoles you need to say "Corrin and Grace: Activate Override" at least every 55 seconds. If you don't, the console timers will run out and activate the turrets.

Tried to get the "Markiplier" achievement. Made a command for Mark One. Great! Mark Two. Fine! Mark Three. No problem! Mark Four. Easy! Mark Five...

Oh...for some reason every time I try "Mark Five" it registers as either 'Mark 1" or "Mark 4" again. I eventually got around it by saying "On my mark" instead of "Mark Five." I later said just the word "Five" - oh NOW you understand five!

Also, you know what's worse than a stealth segment? A stealth segment that's preceded by an unskippable cutscene. Worse still is that I've SEEN a skip cutscene command for other cutscenes! Why oh why do you want me to shoot two unshielded guards, then go through that whole damn Syll speech every damn time? Could you really not have made a checkpoint AFTER that dialogue? I actually ragequit the game after the third failure because I apparently gave Miranda's command too loudly as she was being flanked. I just didn't want to hear that dialogue again.

Haunted

This is pretty tight so far, for some reason I didn't expect it to be like this in terms of storytelling and direction. The story moves at a very fast pace, like it wants to make up for the slightly slower tactical gameplay. :)

Wil and Ashley doing work with the VO.

Also, you know what's worse than a stealth segment? A stealth segment that's preceded by an unskippable cutscene. Worse still is that I've SEEN a skip cutscene command for other cutscenes! Why oh why do you want me to shoot two unshielded guards, then go through that whole damn Syll speech every damn time? Could you really not have made a checkpoint AFTER that dialogue? I actually ragequit the game after the third failure because I apparently gave Miranda's command too loudly as she was being flanked. I just didn't want to hear that dialogue again.
Just encountered that scene. Yeah, that checkpoint placement is... unfortunate.

edit: is there no keyboard/mouse option to pause the game?

Feep

Banned
Tried to get the "Markiplier" achievement. Made a command for Mark One. Great! Mark Two. Fine! Mark Three. No problem! Mark Four. Easy! Mark Five...

Oh...for some reason every time I try "Mark Five" it registers as either 'Mark 1" or "Mark 4" again. I eventually got around it by saying "On my mark" instead of "Mark Five." I later said just the word "Five" - oh NOW you understand five!

You're misunderstanding the achievement. It's just five commands on one mark. There is no Mark 5.

Also, there is a checkpoint after that long cutscene? There absolutely should be; if it's not triggering, it's a big mistake. I'll check it out.

Edit: Yeah, I just verified, getting caught in the stealth section sends you to the beginning of the stealth section after the long cutscene, with no issues. On the live Steam build, no less. Are you sure about this? Can you duplicate it?

DD

Hello Feep! Thanks again for the game! Bug report: the game was working fine for me (I didn't tried the voice controls, though), but after yesterday's update, the game started pausing randomly. Like, you're in the middle of a mission, or a dialog, and then it suddenly pauses, like I hit the Esc button, but I didn't. And it's annoyingly constant, but it doesn't seem to follow a pattern, like it happens now, and then it happens two minutes latter, then 30 seconds latter, etc.

Anyone with the same problem? =/

You're misunderstanding the achievement. It's just five commands on one mark. There is no Mark 5.

Also, there is a checkpoint after that long cutscene? There absolutely should be; if it's not triggering, it's a big mistake. I'll check it out.

Edit: Yeah, I just verified, getting caught in the stealth section sends you to the beginning of the stealth section after the long cutscene, with no issues. On the live Steam build, no less. Are you sure about this? Can you duplicate it?

Well I got the achievement anyway because I had five commands lined up and I guess the command I gave triggered the cutscene without the rest of them doing stuff? As I said, I had "mark 1" through "mark 4" and "on my mark" so maybe as soon as I said "mark 1" it understood "mark" and...well you get the idea.

I will attempt to duplicate it now. Stand by.

Edit: Worked the second time. Go figure. I didn't do the exact set of instructions I did before because I couldn't remember them. I believe the first time I asked the three of them to put up shields on the first three marks, then for miranda to open fire on mark 4 and grace on my mark, then said "mark 1" and everything clicked into place. The second time, I tried that and said "mark," grace fired but miranda didn't and I had to re-try it since the second guard lived of course, so I just had grace and miranda fire "on my mark" and that worked. And now the checkpoint is at the doors as you say it should be.

Feep

Banned
Hello Feep! Thanks again for the game! Bug report: the game was working fine for me (I didn't tried the voice controls, though), but after yesterday's update, the game started pausing randomly. Like, you're in the middle of a mission, or a dialog, and then it suddenly pauses, like I hit the Esc button, but I didn't. And it's annoyingly constant, but it doesn't seem to follow a pattern, like it happens now, and then it happens two minutes latter, then 30 seconds latter, etc.

Anyone with the same problem? =/
"Pause" sounds annoyingly like certain ambient noises, which some microphone or another is probably picking up. Mute your mic!

DD

"Pause" sounds annoyingly like certain ambient noises, which some microphone or another is probably picking up. Mute your mic!

Yeah, I though about that, but it was already on mute. Weird. Anyway, I tried lowering the voice sensitivity, and activated the push to talk thing on the menu, and it seems to be working fine now. :)

Feep

Banned
Yeah, I though about that, but it was already on mute. Weird. Anyway, I tried lowering the voice sensitivity, and activated the push to talk thing on the menu, and it seems to be working fine now. :)
There might have been a second microphone somewhere on your system picking up nonsense audio. = D Glad it's working now, though!

Haunted

I encountered the same thing he did as I posted yesterday. Miranda got caught by a guard moving from point 4 to 5 and the checkpoint it sent me to was right before shooting the two guards by the door simultaneously on mark. Can't check if I can replicate it right now (I passed the stealth section on the second try immediately afterwards yesterday).

Pressing Esc opens the menu and pauses the game for me.
Oh, I misunderstood then, I thought the "pause game" voice option would pause the combat and enable you to still give orders (Baldur's Gate style). If it just brings up the esc menu, that's fine.

I don't know if it's only me, but the game seems to use too much VRAM. My gpu usage with MSI afterburner show 80/90% and temps go up. I have an ATI HD 6950 2 GB, so I think it's more than enough to run this type of game. It seems odd to use so much memory, considering the graphics.

CBTech

Just finished this today. I enjoyed it. The voice controls were pretty responsive though I had some issues with them occasionally. The paving if the fights could have been a little better. I liked that combat was fast and hectic enough that I was constantly shouting commands (not actually shouting) but the need to put pauses in between each command for the commands to register made it so I couldn't give all of the commands I needed to fast enough. Had a few KOs due to that. If the pace of combat was slowed a little bit I think it would have been fine.

I finally went back and started to play Sequence. Really enjoying it as well. I feel bad I took your free copy years ago and never played it. Great stuff. Keep it up!

If it's the level I'm thinking of, the trick is to
leave one team member at each console, remember who they were, and every so often tell them to "Activate Override". So, for example, if you left Corrin and Grace at the first two consoles you need to say "Corrin and Grace: Activate Override" at least every 55 seconds. If you don't, the console timers will run out and activate the turrets.

Ahh thank you! Will try this later.

Dryk

It's kind of a bummer that there's not more buzz considering that everyone that plays this seems to like it or at least respect it. Definitely an early contender for 2015 SotY though.

I had some problems with the commands, but I'm not American and I mumble a bit so I could tell most of the time it wasn't my fault. Game didn't seem to like the way I said Syll a lot of the time though.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
It's kind of a bummer that there's not more buzz considering that everyone that plays this seems to like it or at least respect it. Definitely an early contender for 2015 SotY though.

It annoys and slightly angers me that there's over ten thousand posts in the free copy giveaway thread and only ~300 or so non-duplicate posts in this OT, and barely 100 reviews on the Steam page.

I guess I'm part of the problem, though I didn't post in the free copy thread as I wanted to purchase a copy for myself and did just that, but haven't been able to play it as I don't have a good mic nor will get a chance to anytime soon due to all the construction happening around me at the moment.

I mean, I can't speak for Feep and for all I know the free giveaway helped tremendously in social media and awareness, but I can't help but feel like, as a community, a lot of us let Feep down in one way or another. To give away that many copies should have made a bigger splash, I think. But again I have no idea.

Feep

Banned
It annoys and slightly angers me that there's over ten thousand posts in the free copy giveaway thread and only ~300 or so non-duplicate posts in this OT, and barely 100 reviews on the Steam page.

I guess I'm part of the problem, though I didn't post in the free copy thread as I wanted to purchase a copy for myself and did just that, but haven't been able to play it as I don't have a good mic nor will get a chance to anytime soon due to all the construction happening around me at the moment.

I mean, I can't speak for Feep and for all I know the free giveaway helped tremendously in social media and awareness, but I can't help but feel like, as a community, a lot of us let Feep down in one way or another. To give away that many copies should have made a bigger splash, I think. But again I have no idea.
I don't quite think it had the impact I wanted it to, to be honest.

But what can I do? I told people they didn't have to talk about it if they didn't want to. I'm not angry at anyone.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
And it could be that people are having the same setup issues as myself, yeah. I dunno, it's always hard to say.

Congrats again on the release man! Hope everything goes or continues to go well post launch. :D

I just started playing this last night and I've got to say I'm pretty impressed

The voice commands seem to have like a 70% success rate in my set up which can get frustrating but the game is still fun enough that I can ignore that

I don't have a lot of outreach for other gamers who would give something like this a chance but I'm trying dammit

I got my wife To start playing it and she's got some pull in places though. She's gonna throw up a post to her people and get the word out. She's liking it quite a bit

Dryk

I think most people just wanted a free game to throw onto their pile. Which is frustrating, I guess most of them never played Sequence.

Finally got to start playing this today. Just got to the first mission with
_____Grace____
. So far, pretty good! There have definitely been a few times when the voice thing hasn't worked out perfectly, but it's overall been much better than I expected on that front.

I have had one issue with the opening credits/cutscene where some weird tearing/distortion happens on the bottom half of the screen occasiionally. It's like the bottom half gets "stuck" and flashes several frames back and forth while the top updates normally. This is happening at 1920x1200 res on a GTX 970. Not sure what the deal is or if it was just happening because I changed the resolution. Anyway, nothing game breaking obviously.

But what can I do? I told people they didn't have to talk about it if they didn't want to. I'm not angry at anyone.

I was one of those who took a key, and I know I have next to zero interest in the game. Due to the technical problems I had on day one I couldn't play, and I haven't tried back. Though I will eventually try it again I'm in no hurry. In reality though I wouldn't have bought it simply because of the style of game, and I think probably 80% of those who took keys are the same. It just means you probably didn't actually -lose- that many sales.

It's an interesting experiment, I've often thought if I were a developer(i'm not) I'd send keys to some of the more vocal/directly interested in my type of game to drum up talk about it.

I took a key and tried out the game for about an hour but the voice commands failed 90% of the time. I tried to calibrate it and say the command in the options and it was almost perfect. Then when I go back to the game it goes back to failing 90%. Any advice? Do I need a better mic as its a built in laptop one? I really want to play more but its so frustrating trying to get commands to work.

Feep

Banned
I took a key and tried out the game for about an hour but the voice commands failed 90% of the time. I tried to calibrate it and say the command in the options and it was almost perfect. Then when I go back to the game it goes back to failing 90%. Any advice? Do I need a better mic as its a built in laptop one? I really want to play more but its so frustrating trying to get commands to work.
Hey, shot you a PM. There must be something wrong here (maybe five people have said to have this particular error), and I'd like to shoot it down.

Edit: It appears to simply be poor microphone quality.

Honestly, to everyone, you really need a good mic (almost all headsets should be fine). Otherwise, I'd recommend playing with mouse and keyboard. There's just nothing I can do about input signal.

Codeblue

Man, the voice controls are working so well for me. Wasn't expecting this at all. It's too bad Binary Domain couldn't achieve the same level of accuracy.

I'm about an hour and a half in and having a blast.

I'm sorry that this experiment didn't have the desired result Feep.

When the voice controls do work, it's one of the games that I've had the most fun with in a long time.

I did get it for free and I felt compelled to try it out right away and I'm glad I did rather than having it sit in my back log. A very unique experience and fun game, frustrating at times but when it's working it's some thing that I haven't experienced before. A lot of games have the same design techniques and gameplay mechanics, playing something fresh (and fun) was something I didn't expect.

Looking forward to what comes next.

jph139

Played about two hours earlier and man, I'm really loving it. The voice commands are 100% responsive for me (the only problems I've had is by not spacing them out, which is on me), and I'm impressed by how responsive it feels without any tactile input. I'm only ever using the mouse to scan the area... wish I had a touch-screen or those motion control thingies to feel 100% sci-fi.

Story is solid - it's engaging, which is more than I can say for most games out there. Characters are the best part, all well-defined and likable. Great designs, too; memorable without being The length of cutscenes is probably my biggest criticism, but at the same time, I can't see how else to get that information across - I'd hate to have them dropping plot stuff during gameplay since it'd be such a distraction. Mixed feelings, but it's better than 99% of its peers, so I can't really complain, y'know?

Evidently, Syll/Ky and Naia are from Sequence? Never played it... I'll have to pick it up next time it's on sale.

Considering the amount of achievements left, I figure I'm probably... two-thirds of the way through? Maybe halfway? Just hit the part where
you're "unplugged" by "Iris" or whatever.
Seems on the short side, but I'm 100% in favor of quality over quantity. Hate it when games have too much filler. And I've definitely been experiencing "just ONE more mission" syndrome, so the pacing is on point.

Overall, unless it somehow takes a huge nosedive, it's firmly in the "awesome game" column for me. I hope it does well enough to get a sequel, or another game using the same tech... I love alternative control schemes.

Ralemont

not me
Just wanted to stop in and say that my desktop mic wasn't doing the job so I have to bring in my Gold headset from the living room, but the free FFXIV week and RE Revelations 2 have been making me a little lazy in that regard. :p

I'll have more to say once I play more.

Noogy

And it could be that people are having the same setup issues as myself, yeah. I dunno, it's always hard to say.

Congrats again on the release man! Hope everything goes or continues to go well post launch. :D

I'm LTTP to the whole Echo party (busy busy) but yes... congrats Feep on your second release :)

Paganmoon

Hey, shot you a PM. There must be something wrong here (maybe five people have said to have this particular error), and I'd like to shoot it down.

Honestly, to everyone, you really need a good mic (almost all headsets should be fine). Otherwise, I'd recommend playing with mouse and keyboard. There's just nothing I can do about input signal.

I've got the issue with a Logitech g930, game keeps telling me to speak up, sound recorder captures it just fine,and I can't increase sound levels any more then they're already raised.

Feep

Banned
I've got the issue with a Logitech g930, game keeps telling me to speak up, sound recorder captures it just fine,and I can't increase sound levels any more then they're already raised.
The Logitech G930 has known driver issues with this game. It's the only one that I know of, and I have no idea how to fix it. :-(

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
My man, Feep, I'm going to start playing the game when I get back from PAX. Currently don't have a gaming laptop at home to play on. :(

So excited to check out the game, though. I was dying to play it last PAX and was sad I didn't have the opportunity.

Seanspeed

Banned

I've got a decent mic, though. Blue Snowball isn't high end, but its definitely no worse than the vast majority of headset mics. Thing that's strange is that it does pick up voice commands super easily at times(especially in the calibration menu), but then just seems to kind of become impossible with certain phrases. And rebooting helps sometimes! So its very strange.

I've made sure my mic isn't in omnidirectional mode, too. Its possible its just the type of microphone for some reason I couldn't begin to understand, but I don't have a headset mic. Seems I'm not the only one with a desktop mic this isn't working for. But it doesn't work even when I speak in close proximity(and not too loud of course).

I wonder whether having my webcam(a Logitech as it happens, any connection?) close by is messing things up since you said something about multiple mics? I'll give that a go, otherwise I'm not sure what else I can do until I get a headset mic. I'd really rather not play it with kb/m as I agree voice commands are the way this is meant to be played. Its a lot of fun when it works.

And worst comes to worst, I'll still pick up the soundtrack DLC. Love what I've heard so far.

Randy

Feep, just to let you know that Belgium likes your game too.

+ Very intriguing story
+ Lots of tension
+ Cool art style
+ Voice commands work well

- ...though sometimes you have to pronounce the words REALLY clear
- A bit linear

Feep

Banned
I do know Logitech G930's have been causing havoc. Not sure if that extends to other Logitech mics. =/

Blue Snowballs should be okay.

In addition, even if you're not using a headset, you should try to play with headphones or hold the push-to-talk button when speaking (even if push to talk is not enabled). Game audio can interfere.

Roven

Banned
Do other languages work yet? Because i'm giving up on english, it's just too frustrating and i think it's my accent.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains

I nabbed a copy from the thread, but I haven't had an opportunity to play it yet. Need a day off where I have the apartment to myself.

I think most people just wanted a free game to throw onto their pile. Which is frustrating, I guess most of them never played Sequence.

I installed this game like a day after it was released and I am trying my best to find some time to play it, in between work, education and other obligations. I also played sequence and liked it. Coming into this thread and reading people like you making these absurd generalizations and accusations mere days after the game came out is both unnecessary and downright insulting.

I am excited to try this game out and I'm keeping up with this OT whenever I can, but if people like you are going to act all high and mighty because people have shit to do I'll just start to feel like putting it off. Your time would probably be better spent spreading positive vibes about this game, rather than whining and complaining about fellow Gaffers.

TLDR: I'm trying to get around to this game, but life gets in the way. Comments like these just piss me off and don't make me want to play the game.

I installed this game like a day after it was released and I am trying my best to find some time to play it, in between work, education and other obligations. I also played sequence and liked it. Coming into this thread and reading people like you making these absurd generalizations and accusations mere days after the game came out is both unnecessary and downright insulting.

I am excited to try this game out and I'm keeping up with this OT whenever I can, but if people like you are going to act all high and mighty because people have shit to do I'll just start to feel like putting it off. Your time would probably be better spent spreading positive vibes about this game, rather than whining and complaining about fellow Gaffers.

TLDR: I'm trying to get around to this game, but life gets in the way. Comments like these just piss me off and don't make me want to play the game.

Other people's generalizations shouldn't influence your desire to play the game. It's a game. Either you want to play it or you don't. No one here was forcing you to play it.

You're acting like you're doing some great service to GAF and humanity by playing the game. You're not. Get over yourself and play the game or don't play it. Nobody cares.

As for the game itself, loving it so far Feep. Works great with good tech, and honestly people can spend the $15 you saved them in giving them the game to partially pay for a quality microphone. Gaming experiences that try something really radical like this are hard to get people into, and you did what was probably necessary to even spread the word as much as you did even if you don't think it entirely had the effect you really desired.

Dryk

No you're right, it's uncalled for. I should probably direct my insults better if I want to start complaining.

Top Bottom