• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This is whats wrong with Elder Scrolls Online

Has this always been the lore, or is this retcon stuff to make up for the fact that they didn't want to program different walking animations and different model rigs for those races.

I don't know why people think of Morrowind's digitigrade beastmen becoming Oblivion's plantigrade "furries" as some sort of betrayal of lore. Morrowind's beasts look nothing like Daggerfall or Arena's beasts. Bethesda has had to explain these discrepancies since day one. And as far as I'm concerned giving different morphologies to the beast races (depending on what phase of the moon they were born under/how much Hist sap they ingested) only enriches the lore further, which is fine by me.

lol. So the Argonian is a brotherhood member and is lying about being poisoned. Why is he praising Sithis for help? The lore is gonna be a trainwreck.

Ghost23

I've never cared about lore in video games, so neither the picture or the elder scrolls mean nothing to me. I'll play ESO when it goes F2P.

Slermy

elder scroll reading spoilers

There's a book in skyrim that explains the effects of reading scrolls on different groups of people, broken up into their level of intellect/understanding of elder scrolls. Basically, if you have spent your life preparing to read an elder scroll, you can read a lot before you go blind. If you haven't, but you know how and have the discipline, you can read one before going blind. If you know how, but haven't disciplined yourself or prepared yourself, it will drive you mad.

If you don't know how to read an Elder Scroll, you'll just see a bunch of moonrunes that your mind will dismiss as moonrunes. It won't make any sense. The bad side effects of reading elder scrolls are basically cosmic costs "paid" for the knowledge.

Oh, neat. Do you remember the book title? I'll have to see if my character has that. I also enjoyed the book comparing Wisps to Will-o-Wisps.

Jobbs

Banned
I checked this out a bit in beta. I have definite opinions on this, but I think there was an NDA. if there's no NDA anymore (not sure) then I have many thoughts. Many.

edit: just realized I'm "that guy". I didn't mean to be that guy. but I have feelings about this game I wish I could let out..

You realize you stole and in fact can read an Elder Scroll in Oblivion right?

The_Ultimate_Heist_The_Scroll.png

This was also the entire point of Skyrim.

Sothpaw

I checked this out a bit in beta. I have definite opinions on this, but I think there was an NDA. if there's no NDA anymore (not sure) then I have many thoughts. Many.

edit: just realized I'm "that guy". I didn't mean to be that guy. but I have feelings about this game I wish I could let out..

Well pretty much all of us who played the beta weekend have voiced our opinion of how utterly shit the game is. I really don't know what else there is to say at this point. I strongly caution all gaffers against spending money on this product. Especially when there are so many vastly superior free to play mmos out there. If you're console only, sorry to say it but this is not the answer to the console mmo hopes.

Syril

lol. So the Argonian is a brotherhood member and is lying about being poisoned. Why is he praising Sithis for help? The lore is gonna be a trainwreck.

Well potentially the game could have been been set during the early Second Era before the Dark Brotherhood was founded and became the most well known worshipers of Sithis, but that's not the case. Either that argonian traveled from really deep in Black Marsh and is totally ignorant about what the dark brotherhood is, or she's the most incompetent dark brotherhood member ever. Given what I've heard about the quality of this game, either one of those explanations might be giving them too much credit.

Cutebrute

if a universe as popular as star wars failed to support an MMO twice, then Elder scrolls has no chance. is this game being developed in place of ESVI or is ESVI being developed by a different team?

World of Warcraft says hi.

This game will fail though. It has no goodwill or support behind it.

espher

I've been on a total TESO blackout until now. Am I reading this right? They turned the Elder Scrolls into some kind of capture the flag bullshit?

For what it's worth, if I'm reading it right, it is not 'some kind of capture the flag bullshit' but more of an analog of DAoC's relics (okay, okay, those were -- if you distill it to its barest minimums -- capture the flag bullshit, but they were more like items of power that were held to give your faction a bonus). In the original DAoC PvP zones, you needed to siege a faction's relic keep to capture the relics and bring it back to your relic keep. Relic keeps were defended by extremely powerful NPCs (a number that varied based on the number of friendly keeps controlled). In the revamped PvP zones ("New Frontiers"), you needed to essentially capture a chain of keeps (like a supply line) that would open the 'relic gate' (a wall) and allow you to recover the relic from a temple, and then you could place it in any friendly keep. Frontiers were persistent zones w/ no population caps, e.g. not instanced CTF maps.

Considering how much DAoC PvP they've apparently tried to emulate from a big-picture perspective (at least from what I've been told -- character/combat mechanics don't really fit), this would not surprise me... and relics were some good shit.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
You're playing a human wearing a cat mask. :D

Kaijiit and Argonians walk differently and can't wear human boots. They are beastmen. Not humans wearing a Halloween mask.

Khajiit_Morrowind-600x516.jpg

Before Morrowind
After Morrowind

If anything, Morrowind is the outlier. Also, read a bit of the background on the races before assuming that there is only one kind of Khajiit or Argonian.You're allowed to prefer that version, but don't claim that it's the only right one.

Also, Elder Scrolls Online, more like Elder Scrolls UN-line.

Now explain Argonians.
Depending on the amount of Hist sap an Argonian ingests as a hatchling determines the type of Argonian.
The Argonians have a very unique type of biology that is different than that of the other beastfolk race, the Khajiits. While a Khajiit's physical appearance is determined by the phase of the two moons, an Argonian's is said to be determined by a sap. When an Argonian hatchling is born, they ingest a special, sacred sap that comes from the hist tree. This sap will determine the overall appearance of that hatchling throughout his life.
http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Argonian

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Depending on the amount of Hist sap an Argonian ingests as a hatchling determines the type of Argonian.

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Argonian

It gets a little wonky when you realize that Argonians in an area of the world during a certain period all look distinctly similar. Maybe there are sap ingesting fads that periodically go into and out of popularity?

In any case, just because Morrowind is the fan-favorite game doesn't mean that it's depictions of the races are the only right ones.

It gets a little wonky when you realize that Argonians in an area of the world during a certain period all look distinctly similar. Maybe there are sap ingesting fads that periodically go into and out of popularity?

In any case, just because Morrowind is the fan-favorite game doesn't mean that it's depictions of the races are the only right ones.
Since the games tend to be confined to one province of Tamriel I just looked at it as groups of similar Argonians and Khajit tended to stay together.

Linkyn

Aside from the glaring lore issues, what bothers me is the weak selection of dialogue options in this case. Don't you just love it when an RPG gives you the option of either saying a single, pre-determined thing or not doing anything at all?

Though to be fair, TES has never excelled at dialogue.

I'm very comfortable asserting Morrowind as the one true Elder Scrolls. :D

Pssh, that watered-down, casual crap? Daggerfall was way deeper. ;)

Have they said whether the Black Marshes will be in the game? Only thing that would make me buy it at this point.
It's supposed to be. Nevermind the fact that no non-Argonian race would be able to brave the noisome depths of Blackmarsh without succumbing to plague. It'll probably be a crappy theme park attraction like every other province.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Honestly, I thought the problem was that it was a subscription based MMO with a budget of 9 digits.

SWTOR had a budget of 10 digits when all was said and done, then they converted to F2P and are since making bank. I think ESO will end up doing alright.

Since the games tend to be confined to one province of Tamriel I just looked at it as groups of similar Argonians and Khajit tended to stay together.
Actually, this kind of makes me wonder... AFAIK, isn't this the first game to let you visit, in-game, the Khajiit homelands of Elsweyr? I wonder if you'll see a wider variety of Khajiit there, as such.

According to this Q&A, the playable Khajiit in TESO are supposed to be the Suthay-Raht - i.e. Morrowind's variant. That said, what little media I've paid attention to looked more like they had plantigrade feet/boots and such, more like the Cathay/Cathay-Raht from Oblivion and Skyrim. So, unless either they backpedalled and are letting you play as a Cathay/Cathay-Raht, or I'm not looking closely enough (which is certainly likely, since this game isn't really on my radar), this'd be yet another inconsistency.

(Disclaimer: I have not, by my own admission, played nearly enough Elder Scrolls, but hell, this whole topic's one big learning experience.)

Top Bottom