• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thoughts on Destiny 2 PvP?

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Oh god, I forgot to mention the collision detection on teammates. Fuck that shit. In a game type where the entire match is decided by who brings a bigger ball of people, I don't want to be bumped by other people. It's maddening and insane. I love being perpetually pushed out of cover by teammates.

Lmao yeah it's out of control. I was jumping and like ramped off my teammates head and launched way up in the air. It's super obnoxious getting stuck on teammates or trapped out of cover so often.

Kaelan

The thing that sucks about 4V4 is everyone is stuck up everyones ass now. It's too risky to go off by yourself and as a result everyone is grouped up together. it's lame and cheap imo, at least with 6v6 you could lone wolf a few times and stand a chance

Lucifon

I'm not a fan at least on console. With 60fps on pc things certainly felt better. But I'm just finding it to be frustrating on console.

9 times out of 10 if there's more enemies you'll lose the encounter. It's more about numbers than most fps games I've played. You just huddle together and follow people around. As a Hunter without much regen on our gear it's added frustrating too as every other class seems to start getting their health back pretty quick but I'm sat waiting for a life time for anything to happen, by which point I usually get picked off.

Gator86

Lmao yeah it's out of control. I was jumping and like ramped off my teammates head and launched way up in the air. It's super obnoxious getting stuck on teammates or trapped out of cover so often.

It's just dumbfounding. Some of the design choices in PvP make me wonder if the devs actually play video games. Even if there's some deep design choice there, it's brutally annoying each and every match.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I find it a lot of fun in a party, but queuing solo when your friends aren't on is a lot less fun than D1's 6v6 modes imo.

Also, I'm not a fan of competitive at the moment. There are too many rounds. Leave that high round count for Trials imo. Also, regarding competitive mode, hopefully Bungie has something in the works for people who drop out of matches if things aren't going their way early on. Having someone drop out after the first round is frustrating and has made it so that I try to only queue for competitive if I'm in a full pre-made.

I'm not sure if I've seen all the maps, but I've enjoyed the design of what I've seen to this point. Some are just downright gorgeous.

If you aren't in a premade its awful. The tactical, small team format has its place (Trials) but there needs to be more options for other players.

Foxxsoxx

As long as teams are balanced it's very fun.

However one bad teammate literally ruins it and makes it hell on earth.

It also really needs a rank system.

Really didn't like PvP in D1. Would mostly only play it to either occasionally try to get to the Lighthouse (achieved twice) or for Iron Banner. It felt far too random to be fun, for me. With a lot of the time being one-shot in a situation you had no hope of mitigating against. Be that supers, skills or shotguns.

Move to the D2 beta and Countdown and suddenly I'm having more fun in each game that I'd usually have in a month of D1 PvP. It's tight, more calculated and I feel like I have a much stronger chance of effecting change for my team.

Haven't played too much of it yet in D2 but so far that has held up for me. I really like PvE and an nowhere near having three characters up and ready to run each week, but I'm already thinking about giving Trials a shot this weekend.

I can understand how others feel it's worse, but for me it couldn't have been a better change in terms of its affect on my enjoyment of it. I feel much, much more like a guardian honing their skills in the Crucible as Shaxx describes it than I did before.

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
Add ping / connection bar.

Fix the matchmaking so Aussies aren't paired with hosts all over the place making it impossible to kill enemies.

2real4tv

D2's Crucible PvP has been a hot topic lately. Many D1 veterans believe it is a huge downgrade due to the loss of 6v6, less special abilities, and power weapons not being as much as a focus this time around.

Others enjoy the PvP for its increased focus on positioning, teamwork and overall tightness.

They got a really good base right now. More options in terms of playlists, maps, modes etc would be good, but those will come in time. It has alot of potential and is worth investing in.

Haven't played enough D1 PVP to know if its inferior though

Do you enjoy Destiny 2's Crucible?

You mean camping and head glitching. It's like they took what was wrong with D1 and amplified it. Also it's hard to tell how well you really did with the way they handle kills. Finished a match yesterday and everyone had positive k/d's.

FingerBang

You mean camping and head glitching. It's like they took what was wrong with D1 and amplified it. Also it's hard to tell how well you really did with the way they handle kills. Finished a match yesterday and everyone had positive k/d's.

What's that?

Kaversmed

I put a lot of time into the D1 Crucible but can already feel that I won't spend as much in the D2 Crucible. It really bums me out how boring it feels compared to D1. As much as the supers and grenades annoyed people, I really think that it was what made the mp such a blast. Now it's just regular firefight.

Not a fan of the TTK or 4v4 as well. Guess I just wanted new maps for the D1 Crucible lol xD

2real4tv

I put a lot of time into the D1 Crucible but can already feel that I won't spend as much in the D2 Crucible. It really bums me out how boring it feels compared to D1. As much as the supers and grenades annoyed people, I really think that it was what made the mp such a blast. Now it's just regular firefight.

Not a fan of the TTK or 4v4 as well. Guess I just wanted new maps for the D1 Crucible lol xD

This is how I feel. Why not have 4v4 as an option and see what the fans decide to play. They should have took all the time and money redesigning pvp and invested it into dedicated servers because lag was always destiny's biggest issue. What do they do instead? They remove ping indicators...wth

jviggy43

4v4 is much better for me due to creating a more competitive environment and eliminating the chaotic randomness of the first game. However, no dedicated servers or legitimate match making undercut that fundamental design change which leaves me baffled as to why they'd move in this direction if they arent serious about making PvP competitive (Also changing the entire weapon system for PvP which is significantly worse for PvE).

I think it's awful. In an era of so many really good multiplayer experiences this has to be one of the worst from a AAA game in some time.

4v4 is too low a player count. I feel like I'm on ice skates when I'm shooting. The radar is offensively stupid since it's just a proximity sensor no matter what you're doing and it encourages pre-firing around corners. Too many one hit kills that are unable to be countered. Modes are dull. 75% of encounters end up being awkwardly strafe and shoot each other 1v1 and lots of times both people die. Very little variation in the types of weapons people are using. Feels like the players are either super sweaty try-hards or people that are completely oblivious.

Crucible in D1 wasn't great but it wasn't this aggressively caustic. This is bad and I don't look forward to having to do 10+ games a week to get Shaxx's quest done.

Crucible is much improved and it will become more and more appreciated as people acclimate to the UI and changing mechanics. Dying feels more like it's your fault and less like someone used a cheap tactic on you.

Crucible is much improved and it will become more and more appreciated as people acclimate to the UI and changing mechanics. Dying feels more like it's your fault and less like someone used a cheap tactic on you.
When I get hit by a rocket from a hunter triple jumping around a corner I definitely start to think about just what I could have done better.

I also forgot to mention about 3-4 spawns a match will result in you being very close to either someone who is using their ult or looking down the sights with a power weapon. Super fun every time that happens.

I'm pretty decent at it, but I don't really like it. Never have. Competitive arena shooters just are not my thing outside of Halo.

If it wasn't for the weekly "call to arms" milestone I wouldn't even touch it.

bosseye

It's......alright. I've played a few matches, done really well in some, terribly in others.

My main issue is it all feels so small now, for want of a better word. You have to stick together to have any chance, straying off on your own doesn't work terribly well and as a consequence it seems to mean every match plays out in the same place; spawn, run to bottleneck where both teams gather, shoot, die, repeat. I've played the same couple of corridors over and over and barely seen anywhere else on some maps which is a bit dull.

Also one weak link can sink the team, on some matches where I'm well aware I'm playing poorly it's no fun as I know my team is basically screwed. It's a lot more pressured and a lot less fun than D1 pvp was.

Van Bur3n

Significantly less bullshit from D1 and requires a lot more teamwork due to its competitive nature. Rather similar to Halo. What it doesn't have in common with Halo however is the variety of different game modes for varying numbers of players. No rumble, no 6 on 6 game modes.

Overall, I'll take it over the one shot bullshit that players so heavily relied on in D1. Now you have to earn your power weapons and time your super wisely.

Cob32

Apart from the odd control match I'm not really enjoying the "team shooting over a chokepoint" meta it has already.

Is it competetive? Yes. Is it tactical? Yes. Is it boring? Yes.

GlamFM

Banned
I vastly prefer it over PvP in D1.

It seems way more fair.

In general it seems like if you did not like PvP in D1 and/or were really garbage at it (that´s me) you´ll like this one and vice versa.

"Low intensity" quickplay is a joke, always a sweaty teethgrinding Kill Confirmed mode where everyone has to be at the top of their game or you have already lost. Not in a fireteam of 4? Already lost. Terrible for casual games.

Quickplay should be 6v6 and no hardcore gamemodes like Kill Confirmed.

Maps are dogshit circle arenas too without coherent design. Only the beta map with the circular outside area for B flag is good.

BraXzy

One big thing I had to force myself to do was adjust from PvE mode. I was running and gunning, not taking my time, treating enemies like trash mobs to rush.

Gotta be slow and calculated imo. Teamshooting is hella important.

The thing that sucks about 4V4 is everyone is stuck up everyones ass now. It's too risky to go off by yourself and as a result everyone is grouped up together. it's lame and cheap imo, at least with 6v6 you could lone wolf a few times and stand a chance

It limits options as well. Used to be you could go off on yourself and flank an entire team if you thought fast enough... Can't do that now.

nOoblet16

I played Destiny 1 PvP religiously for a good while until the Handcanons and sniper nerf. I don't like Destiny 2 PvP because:

1) It's 4v4 and requires teamshooting. Only game where I enjoyed teamshooting is Halo
2) Handcanons are bad against other weapons
3) I can't really use the snipers much
4) Ability cooldown is slow
5) I've come across a far better PvP game in the form of Rainbow Six Siege

2real4tv

"Low intensity" quickplay is a joke, always a sweaty teethgrinding Kill Confirmed mode where everyone has to be at the top of their game or you have already lost. Not in a fireteam of 4? Already lost. Terrible for casual games.

Maps are dogshit circle arenas too without coherent design. Only the beta map with the circular outside area for B flag is good.

I had a bad match on that map yesterday. Had a team camp in the spawn...at least one person would be all the way back and it became a waiting match of who going to push first it's f'ing dumb.

bennibop

I think the changes are great for the competitive side of Destiny but I prefer the older 6 vs 6 more chaotic games for quickplay/ casual.

I like that it is a little more considered, but at the same time it lacks options of any kind, lacks variety, and will never be as 'considered' as say, Halo, which is what I really like. That's fine, and I am sure Bungie will expand on it.

This is spot on.

sn00zer

Never quite made sense to me that the game tried to focus so much on PVP. There are so so many better multi versus games out there than Destiny PVP so why not just keep it a little imbalanced and fun.

Destiny's PVE is so awesome and unique i dont know why they dont just go all in on that while keeping PVP a fun distraction rather than balance it for esports matches that will never happen.

Kill3r7

D1 was more chaotic. D2 right now feels like it is all about team play. Both can be a lot of fun.

Never quite made sense to me that the game tried to focus so much on PVP. There are so so many better multi versus games out there than Destiny PVP so why not just keep it a little imbalanced and fun.

Destiny's PVE is so awesome and unique i dont know why they dont just go all in on that while keeping PVP a fun distraction rather than balance it for esports matches that will never happen.

I am surprised you feel that way given Bungie's lineage. PvP is what ultimately propelled them to become one of the most famous developers.

It's seriously garbage and super frustrating to play this solo. Every match I get paired against full sweaty teams that just teamshoot you.
It's impossible to run around solo having fun.
They've always had horrible matchmaking but this is some next level shit. Is it so hard to pair me against other solo players?

True to a point. Most folks have adjusted at this point.

It's seriously garbage and super frustrating to play this solo. Every match I get paired against full sweaty teams that just teamshoot you.
They've always had horrible matchmaking but this is some next level shit. Is it so hard to pair me against other solo players?

I much preferred the chaos and dumb fun of the first games PvP

Destiny 2 is so boring in comparison. It's more balanced but less fun. I cant see myself playing it unless I desperately need to grind something.

What's moronic is fireteams are 3 people and the MP is 4. It's not even a natural switch from your PVE squad so you're going to have a solo player that is out of the loop at no fault of their own.

Foxxsoxx

Holy shit this annoys me to no end. I hate how violently teammates push you it's insane.

Ramirez

It's so much better than the first, but man, most of the maps are complete dogshit.

I remember when Bungie put combat readability over everything, and with this, it's like no one kept the artists in check on a large portion of the maps.

Also Supremacy is terrible and had no business returning with smaller teams and a greater emphasis on team over solo play. That said, I can't wait for Trials today, Countdown and Survival both play extremely well.

Another thing that sucks is how badly they dumpstered Better Devils. It was seriously the best gun I've ever used in Destiny in the PC beta, and now it feels like a wet noodle. :(

SgtCobra

Seems to be split on people who want a balanced game and those who want to spam their supers.
It's....not really like that. A big portion of those people want to be able to play D2 PvP like they did in the first game: alone or casually. Now you can't do neither of those without being stressed out by the new sweaty team based gameplay or having to create a fireteam.
I doubt many people even ever asked for Destiny's PvP to become what it is now, the main 6v6 gameplay has never been an issue.
Sure it could be quite chaotic at times but did the situation with the abilities, cheap kills and unbalanced weapons improve with the sequel? Yeah sure, except maybe for the last one where some weapon archetypes are really undesireable for most maps and encounters. But this had definitely to happen.
When I get hit by a rocket from a hunter triple jumping around a corner I definitely start to think about just what I could have done better.
lol exactly, I'm getting PTSD's already reading this.

I played the 2 games to unlock the full crucible and hated it. Just an unbalenced mess that didn't feel fun to play at all. Wont be playing any more of it.

It's....not really like that. A big portion of those people want to be able to play D2 PvP like they did in the first game: alone or casually. Now you can't do neither of those without being stressed out by the new sweaty team based gameplay or having to create a fireteam.
I play predominantly solo and vastly prefer the new PvP. Certainly not as black or white as "if you play alone it sucks".

SgtCobra

The ๖ۜBronx;249017782 said:
I play predominantly solo and vastly prefer the new PvP. Certainly not as black or white as "if you play alone it sucks".
It's not only that, Destiny 2 asks for a more team focused gameplay, there is no place for a lone wolf style anymore.

Seems to be split on people who want a balanced game and those who want to spam their supers.

That's a terrible assessment of the thread. Who said they want to spam supers?
It's not only that, Destiny 2 asks for a more team focused gameplay, there is no place for a lone wolf style anymore.

I feel the same. I don't know why we didn't just get both 4v4 and 6v6 as the options. I played a ton of crucible in he original game, but I can't be bothered this time. I'm sure I could stick to it and do very well, but I don't like anything about the pvp, the speed, team sizes, maps, none of it clicks with me.

Fair enough, I can see that. I personally feel that, as a solo player, I have a much stronger chance of changing the tide of a fight than I did before. You do have to try and at least buddy up (meaning follow them, not comms) with someone else to be effective but equally I've had games where my team has engaged the enemy and I've managed a successful flank solo. I much prefer the more methodical style of play than that of D1 but if you wanted to just run off and do your own thing in PvP I understand that that's been stripped away.

Top Bottom