• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thoughts on Destiny 2 PvP?

molnizzle

I enjoy it well enough. I really miss the non "sweaty" modes though.

Sometimes I just want to run around and blow off steam. I need my Rumble back.

Dalek

4x4 is brutal for a solo player. If one person leaves your team, you've lost the game.

Additionally matchmaking blows because you'll just be matched up against a 4 person fire team regardless.

Nimby

Banned
The worst PvP shooter this gen especially considering who it's made by. I'm enjoying the PvE aspect of this game a lot but just can't get into the Crucible. Frame rate is a big component of that.

It's more balanced and competitive but it's not as fun.

My question is why?

Why go for the comp market when you have a mode that is dedicated to that (ToO) and the premise of the game fights with it's design.

I don't feel empowered in D2 pvp engagements, I feel like a opportunist more than anything. My foolproof method to pvp is to be up my teammates butts, letting them draw fire and then cleaning up after them.

If I encounter more than one ping on my radar and I'm in a bad spot for a 1v1 I turn around and haul ass to my teammates. The only time I feel a bit of that Destiny spark is when I pop my super or pick up heavy and even then getting a double or the rare triple doesn't feel that impressive when the maps are this small and the only recourse you have to shutdown a player on a run is teamshotting with a rifle or your own once-a-game super.

It also doesn't make sense they are trying to cater to the comp crowd when this game is still 30 FPS and p2p on console, sorry. Trials took off in D1 because it was cool seeing high level play from dudes a cut above in a game where everyone else already had the potential to be a badass warrior. What's the hook for trials this time around? It's gonna just be an even more restricted version of the already neutered pvp.

That's not even getting into the fact that outside of the pvp design, the exotics and legendaries people are playing with are snoozeworthy. The only ones that I kinda like are sunshot and vigilance wing but even then they hardly play differently than another purple scout or HC. One is just a slightly above normal HC with firefly, and the other is a Halo BR with better handling when your teammates get owned and health regen when they do it right next to you. If I die to another guy who probably runs nothing but Nameless Midnight in his PVE setup as well as his pvp build one more time...

Yup. Instead of owning up to their own game, they tried to "fix" the MP and make it more "competitive", which wasn't going to happen with this kind of game, especially at 30FPS, which leaves us in the middle. And it negatively impacted PvE on top.

Honestly just don't want to waste any time on it, which is a shame. Most of my playtime in D1 was the Crucible.

I absolutely hate it. I'd like classic 6v6 back.

I personally dont like it (and it has nothing to do with my personal performance, I've been doing pretty well on it)

I just find most matches really boring. I loved the chaotic flavor of D1 PVP. Mostly 6v6 combining abilities with the weapons made a fast paced fun mp. Now all modes result in slow matches and there is little combination of abilities with weapons. And the worst part is that this slower cooldown on abilities affects PVE too

I do think the heavy weapon ammo is an interesting change tho

This exactly. I miss the chaos and fighting through it. Everything feels so slow paced. I remember flying through the map with my titan and loving it. This here just isn't enjoyable to me.

AlexBasch

As a solo player, it can be both fun and tedious when you face a high level fireteam and you're with a bunch of randoms. Wish they'd let us select what game mode to play and a no-team mode, but I understand they want to push a "highly competitive mp mode" into this.

Sometimes I really do have a lot of fun with this, so I'm still undecided.

golem

4v4 has been good fun when im rolling in a group but had one person drop yesterday and got stomped

6v6 was fun for when you just want to jump in and fire a few shots. Better for solo play i think

I personally dont like it (and it has nothing to do with my personal performance, I've been doing pretty well on it)

I just find most matches really boring. I loved the chaotic flavor of D1 PVP. Mostly 6v6 combining abilities with the weapons made a fast paced fun mp. Now all modes result in slow matches and there is little combination of abilities with weapons. And the worst part is that this slower cooldown on abilities affects PVE too

I feel the same way.

In D1 I would sometimes fire up the crucible to relax, have a fun time and enjoy the chaos.

I find the 4 v 4 format a chore. It stresses me the fuck out, I feel like I'm stuck in the trial of Osiris all the time. If you underperform, your team will get stomped. Shit's way too competitive.

Also fuck not being able to choose the mode I want to play.

Thank God PvE is awesome.

Hated pvp in D1.

This PvP feels like an afterthought yet I'm having killer matches. Feel like im being pinched and tickled at the same time, not sure if i should laugh or cry.

Jblanks

It's a little slow, and I don't like having to stay with your team the entire game but it's nice not bring supered, titan shouldered charged, blink shotguunned, etc all the time. If they can find a way to speed it up a bit more (6v6) it would be very good, but right now it'd only pretty good. I'll take it over what that mess of D1 PVP became though.

Balancing seems a lot better so far also, I feel like snipers should be moved to energy weapons though.

Natiko

Banned
I think the Crucible is a big improvement over the trash in the first game. Feels a lot more reliant on teamwork and not so spammy. Main complaint is there aren't many maps.

M.W.

It's beyond horrible. The aiming goes to shit in PVP, it's like the controls take a dive, it handles very weirdly. Plus, it's just boring. It's some of the worst PVP out there.

Jblanks

I'm doing better in this new system when I play with my friends who are also good at the game, but at the same time it's so boring and stressful since it's so reliant on you actually being good now that even though we win I have a miserable time.

Who cares though? Just play it, if you win you win, if you lose you lose. You still get equal chance at loot.

If you think D2 crucible is stressful id advise you never playing overwatch comp.

Sygma

Dont know how people still have not figured out how to get multiple super charges in one match but its definitely there. Its not a question of k/d btw. I like that matches are ending abruptly when one team is getting crushed, on the other hand when rolling with the team in control we just let the enemy team cap the 3 flags and then proceed to farm players for 7 minutes straight .. and we win at the score. Imho this specifically should be changed

Otherwise its pretty fun. Too bad that you need to be a warlock when solo queing / playing as a lone wolf, because blink. Map designs are kinda reminescent of some bf 3 maps in domination, where firefights almost always are happening at the same chokes

If you think D2 crucible is stressful id advise you never playing overwatch comp.

Overwatch has a boatload of relaxing modes that complement comp though.

Destiny 2 does not. If I "just go and play it", well, it's still 4 v 4 slow ass matches. It's just boring.

Just give people a choice.

SgtCobra

Pretty fucking bad compared to Destiny 1, and that says a lot. I've been playing since day 1 of the alpha and Destiny 2's PvP has shorten the longevity of this game for me by hundreds of hours.

KillLaCam

Banned
I'm doing just as good as I was in D1 but it's way less fun solo. It's OK when I'm in a group though, but anything can be fun with a group.

Who cares though? Just play it, if you win you win, if you lose you lose. You still get equal chance at loot.

I don't play overwatch, thanks for the suggestion though. I don't play competitive as a rule of thumb, I'd rather play community and silly games something that Bungie seems to have forgotten in PvP.

Yup. Instead of owning up to their own game, they tried to "fix" the MP and make it more "competitive", which wasn't going to happen with this kind of game, especially at 30FPS, which leaves us in the middle. And it negatively impacted PvE on top.

Honestly just don't want to waste any time on it, which is a shame. Most of my playtime in D1 was the Crucible.
Same man, I wish you where on Xbox during the D1 days. I put so many hours into D1 pvp even if it was unwieldy and not balanced, it's probably the closest I felt to the way MW2 felt at its height, if everything is broken nothing is broken.

I wish if anything that they keep the focus on gunplay but at least kept it at 6v6 and uped the super rate to twice a match if you're pulling your weight and doing work at least, with three supers possible if you're going on a absolute tear. Comp (lol) could have stuck around as 4v4 with all the sweaty modes and smaller maps. They way it is now just makes it feel like a more zany not-Halo, and if I wanted to play that I would.

Sidenote, what is even the point of comp? Especially with ToO on Friday? As far as I can tell it's not ranked and you don't get different rewards from regular pvp. It's basically "enter here if you wanna play a longer, more boring, and potentially sweaty match".

PvP just feels so much smaller now, like I feel like D2's pvp is what we would get if Destiny ever got a handheld port, like on the PSP or something lmao. It reminds me of my days on Metal Gear Portable Ops and Syphon Filter.

Jblanks

Overwatch has a boatload of relaxing modes that complement comp though.

Destiny 2 does not. If I "just go and play it", well, it's still 4 v 4 slow ass matches. It's just boring.

Just give people a choice.
Yea they need to separate the game modes into different playlists, and have a solo only playlist/game mode, and one that's 6v6 and more chaotic.

Mephala

My mistake was playing Titanfall 2 just before it... I love my Bungie shooters but the movement from TF2 leaves Destiny in the dust. In TF2 need to escape, I jump, hit a wall and start running, I carve an escape route out of the stage and all the windows, doors, buildings, caverns, ducts etc. In Destiny 2, it feels much more grounded. If I hit a wall at best I grind against it, at worst I get popped into the air at an odd angle and am vulnerable until I land and find cover. Destiny 2 feels very cover shooter, where I poke at range and stay within the safety of cover I can move to. TF2 allowed me to approach the fight from different directions quickly due to how fast you could move around the map and all the little shortcuts... Destiny 2 has paths. Sometimes a wall might be removed in an area just so you can use it to jump into an area but ultimately the routes are all incredibly predictable. Not necessarily a bad thing but it just feels less coming from TF2.

I have my complaints about Destiny 2 vs Destiny 1 too but I'll save that for later.

Edit. I want to add quickly that I know people hated getting shotgunned but having it on the slot with rockets is a joke. A weapon that is high risk, high reward and requiring you to close the gap vs a fire and forget, homing explosive missile that can wipe groups at a distance...

I've actually been having fun with it despite being a D1 PvP vet. Even playing exclusively solo I've managed to enjoy myself. I feel like it could get old fast though, having to buddy up with someone most of the time is lame.

Positives (for me personally):

- Only has two playlists to stop the player-base from being fragmented
- Class abilities add an interesting dynamic
- Guns with set rolls
- Interchangeable armor perks via modding makes getting the optimal PvP setup easy
- Compared to the first game, latency has been rarely noticeable. I've only encountered maybe 4-5 laggy players since release day
- No broken bullshit like the Thorn or Vex Mythocast (release day version)
- SMGs are a fun new weapon type to bring into the Crucible

Negatives:

- TLW isn't in the game
- Playing as a team is a must, unless the other team have no thumbs or are just uncoordinated
- Four randoms are still being matched against fireteams of four. This accentuates the above problem
- Some games turn into a snooze fest. If you've played much Clash you'll know what I mean
- No more Titan skating or Warlock surfing
- Hand Cannons feel underwhelming
- The game has a clunky feel that I can't really articulate

Sygma

You can have up to 3 super in one match but it mostly happens in control. Its defo not possible in competitive

PvP in the PC beta was fantastic. I can't stand it on console though; hit detection feels inconsistent and I trade kills at least once a game (which didn't even happen once on PC).

I wanted what I got in the first couple of months in Destiny 1, instead I got a more tedious version of Halo 3. Destiny 1's pvp was an amazing experience and cool in every sense of the word.

Cobalt03

D2's Crucible PvP has been a hot topic lately. Many D1 veterans believe it is a huge downgrade due to the loss of 6v6, less special abilities, and power weapons not being as much as a focus this time around.

Others enjoy the PvP for its increased focus on positioning, teamwork and overall tightness.

They got a really good base right now. More options in terms of playlists, maps, modes etc would be good, but those will come in time. It has alot of potential and is worth investing in.

Haven't played enough D1 PVP to know if its inferior though

Do you enjoy Destiny 2's Crucible?

Enjoy except for when I attempt to use supers lol

I hate it so much.

It never stops surprising me how a game that plays so well in PvE just feels like garbage in competitive. Nothing about the shooting or movement feels good to me, the radar that pings even when someone isn't shooting, the almost endless number of variables that are nullified because only a few are actually effective.

Win or lose, I just have a miserable time.

I sense we will reach a consensus soon in this thread.

Split the difference in the middle?

I didnt like the pvp during the beta at all. It just felt very weird and almost seemed like every encounter went the same way: you and the enemy lock each other in each others crosshairs, pew pew and the one with more hp in the beginning wins. There were also frequent kill trades like in the olden days of killzone.

I didnt see any spells being used and I didnt really get why I should use any other weapons than my pistol. Im much more interested in the pve but once I get my hands on the game im still gonna give pvp another shot.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
I really prefer D1. The focus on D2s smaller teams gives like an inherent sweaty feeling where I have to be on top of my game constantly. While focusing on positioning and constantly moving as a team can be great fun, I prefer it in small doses as most of the time I'm just trying to veg out and kick back. While I could grind on D1 pvp for a few hours and have fun, after a few matches of D2 I start getting stressed out.

I liked that D1 had trials for when you wanted to go try hard and big dumb 6v6 matches for just being casual.

I also dislike the slow down on abilities and supers.. I feel like that's what made it unique.

Overall I'd like to see the return of 6v6 more than anything, and maybe the ability to choose your game type.

It's more slow paced but while I was on the team of hating where PVP was headed I quite enjoy the Halo type feel Destiny 2 brings as well. I just wish that original Destiny didn't have this odd half OP bullshit and half balanced style - it's complete messy 6v6 structure was great and it was significantly worse by the end of it. Destiny 2 feels different here in that supers augment you more than make you a killing machine - things like Stormtrance for example was unstoppable in Destiny but completely manageable in Destiny 2 if you just keep your distance and can fire your gun. And that's where it excels, the focus on primary weapon accuracy lends itself so much better to competitive than Destiny ever could hope to be.

Sojgat

Boring. Endless mid to long range engagements until someone gets power ammo or their super. Shotguns and fusion rifles being power weapons sucks and the maps aren't good.

D1 Crucible was an unbalanced mess, but at least it was fun.

Edit: Survival is pretty cool at times. Feels like PvP was balanced entirely around that mode.

Destiny 1's PVP overall had its faults but i much preferred the 6v6 mode over the D1 3v3 mode and D2 4v4 mode.

I was heartbroken to hear that was the direction they were taking at the reveal event and the beta and release of D2 confirmed some of my fears about the 4v4 combat - it is too slow, if one person leaves you are normally at a big disadvantage, it is much harder to chain kills and doubles/triples and it just dosen't have those big WOW moments i had in D1 - like a 6 kill nova bomb. It also added things i didn't expect which i did not like - time to super and power ammo dropping for only the person that picks it up.

Very little changed for the better (the main thing i like is significant assists count as kills). Destiny 1 PVP had me coming back every now and again between expansion releases for some PVP action or IB action. I doubt i will be playing D2 much between content expansions much now unless they decide to have a "big player/D1 crucible mode" in a future expansion.

I really prefer D1. The focus on D2s smaller teams gives like an inherent sweaty feeling where I have to be on top of my game constantly. While focusing on positioning and constantly moving as a team can be great fun, I prefer it in small doses as most of the time I'm just trying to veg out and kick back. While I could grind on D1 pvp for a few hours and have fun, after a few matches of D2 I start getting stressed out.

I liked that D1 had trials for when you wanted to go try hard and big dumb 6v6 matches for just being casual.

I also dislike the slow down on abilities and supers.. I feel like that's what made it unique.

Overall I'd like to see the return of 6v6 more than anything, and maybe the ability to choose your game type.

This right here sums it up for me - there was the big dumb casual 6v6 mode for people who enjoyed that and 3v3 for competitive fire teams and modes for those who want that action.

I feel Destiny 2 has given me less options in PVP rather then more. Which is a massive shame as i think the PVE experience is vastly improved.

ShdwDrake

Banned
With clan it's fun. Especially when you're matched against another clan. But if I wanna play solo or if no one needs to do Crucible for milestones no one plays.

Kurdel

Banned
It’s wonderful!

Oh wait-

1385792781220.gif

I like it better than D2, feels more intense, I'm digging the new weapon system.

I've yet to see a compelling reason why it had to be 4v4 outside of competitive.

I do wonder if you could add 1 - 2 more players to the existing maps and not make too much of an imbalance. I'd at least like to see an alternate game mode with more players.

Lyonaz

The current crucible they should just make it a ranked/competitive mode and do D1 6v6 as casuals quickplay.

That said I love running as a high mobility hunter with Quickfang sword.

orborborb

Levels are boring and ugly, positioning might be fun with tight team communication but it just means every death plays out the same way with randoms. I have more fun losing in the old crucible than winning in this one.

CLEEK

I've only played a bit, but really enjoyed the changes.

The biggest problem with D1 PvP was the over reliance on supers and shotguns/snipers. They finally addressed shotguns in the very last balance patch, but this was three years too late.

Now, all the one-shot kill weapons need the scarce power ammo, and supers slowly recharge at the same rate for all, so you only get one use per match. It was never fun being murdered by endless supers in D1, now their usages is far more tactical.

The change from 6v6 to 4v4 hasn't bothered me at all.

Kalnoky

Only done the first two quick plays to start the milestone so far, but planning on doing more. First match was a control point map, and it went super bad. Other team started to roll us pretty good right out the gate and someone on our team left. Felt like I was getting spawn killed a lot too. Also, I use mostly scout rifles in PvE and using them here felt super ineffective (4-5ish headshots to kill?), but I probably just suck.

Second match was the "loot the engram when they die" thing, and felt less one sided. Both teams stayed and my team barely won by the end. Had a good time.

(This was all done solo, also. I would assume going with friends would make it 1000% more enjoyable.)

Afterlife

It's alright. Nothing like vanilla D1 pvp. They should really reduce the score points on this new pvp 9/10 the match always ends because of time running out.

Bold One

More balanced, more fun.

No more grenade spam, no more sticky OHK, no more ability spams.

The down sides are the reduction in player numbers.

4v4 is just not hot, it really isn't.

Where is the choice to pick your game modes?

Gator86

Oh god, I forgot to mention the collision detection on teammates. Fuck that shit. In a game type where the entire match is decided by who brings a bigger ball of people, I don't want to be bumped by other people. It's maddening and insane. I love being perpetually pushed out of cover by teammates.

Top Bottom