• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Three-Body-Problem Final Trailer Released

Hardensoul

It used to be freely available on Youtube with English subtitles and all (and I don't mean as a pirated version, but directly from the publisher, Tencent).
I'm not sure if it's still out there now.
I started watching on that channel last week. It’s slower than Netflix version. I’ll try to continue again this weekend.

Sentenza

I started watching on that channel last week. It’s slower than Netflix version. I’ll try to continue again this weekend.
Well, yes, it is. I covers in almost 30 episodes what Netflix covers in 8.
It's also made with a literal tenth of the budget-per-episode.

But slower doesn't mean worse. And cheaper doesn't mean with worse writing.
As most of the people who stuck with it had a chance to realize.

Hardensoul

Well, yes, it is. I covers in almost 30 episodes what Netflix covers in 8.
It's also made with a literal tenth of the budget-per-episode.

But slower doesn't mean worse. And cheaper doesn't mean with worse writing.
As most of the people who stuck with it had a chance to realize.
Not saying it’s bad. It’s just that I wasn’t in a mood to watch a slower pace show, especially with longer episodes. I needed a change of pace! 😂

ItsGreat

the defrosting monkey scene was insanely bad. Up there with late stage Game of Thrones jank.

It's got some awful inhuman dialogue between people. Nobody says thanks, nobody says goodbye and nobody has any phone etiquette.

I can't believe how horrible they were to Will. The chance of being saved and they're telling him no, don't do it.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member

What the hell...

We sure this wasn't an unused side plot of how a human sympathizer masked the killing of a scientist threat to the song-ti?

And the joke is that the "ancient Chinese secret" health remedy was actually straight poison. Tragic all around.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
ydVVU7R.jpg
I7Gx3in.jpg

Mistake

I tried a few episodes of the english netflix one. Seemed interesting at first, but then lost the plot too quickly. Not enough mystery to keep me engaged.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
The series is fine TV (with some big plotholes in later episodes) but the biggest gripe I have is this- how are these few friends the most important people in the world? All these geniuses are the greatest scientists in their fields, or are the best military strategists, or
their mother is the leader of the most important cult or are deemed by the aliens as most important so become wallfacer
and so on. Basically all the important characters required for the story are a close-knit group. Rest of the humanity has no role and are dumbasses.

It wasnt so in the books. Most of the characters didnt know each other right from the get go. They came from different walks of life (well most were Chinese which is also unrealistic but the book is Chinese so OK).

Hardensoul

The series is fine TV (with some big plotholes in later episodes) but the biggest gripe I have is this- how are these few friends the most important people in the world? All these geniuses are the greatest scientists in their fields, or are the best military strategists, or
their mother is the leader of the most important cult or are deemed by the aliens as most important so become wallfacer
and so on. Basically all the important characters required for the story are a close-knit group. Rest of the humanity has no role and are dumbasses.

It wasnt so in the books. Most of the characters didnt know each other right from the get go. They came from different walks of life (well most were Chinese which is also unrealistic but the book is Chinese so OK).
They are from different backgrounds, that went to same prestigious Scientific University. This is a diverse group. They aren’t all born in UK. Not sure that’s correct criticism. They just became important because they aren’t dead! 😂

Thought the criticism would be the diversity 😂 since it’s the easiest reason for the criticism. 🤷‍♂️

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I finished the season and thought it got better as it went along. Once they finally reveal what is going on I found it interesting. I think episode 3 the show opened up.

I think the audio mix is bad. Dialog is muted in many places and almost unintelligible. I had to have subtitles on.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I've not quite completed the season (so maybe she does) but how many folks think Jin would have given cancer guy at least a pity fuck if he had asked? That particular 'relationship' is aggravating.

Chittagong

Gold Member
How are the books? Heading out of vacation soon and could use a good read.

They are phenomenal. They make the TV show feel like an extremely brief summary of few key events.

They start a bit slow, but the second half of each book are some of the most gripping page turner after cliffhanger fireworks I have ever read. And the satisfaction of seemingly mundane things clicking later is immense.

Vyse

Gold Member
They are phenomenal. They make the TV show feel like an extremely brief summary of few key events.

They start a bit slow, but the second half of each book are some of the most gripping page turner after cliffhanger fireworks I have ever read. And the satisfaction of seemingly mundane things clicking later is immense.
Awesome to hear. Thank you my friend. Will pick them up and let you know what I think. Always love books more than movie or tv adaptations.

Mexen

How are the books? Heading out of vacation soon and could use a good read.
I quite like them, especially Book 2. They can be slow, dense with flat characters but I found the story engaging enough to keep going.
There’s a lot of interesting science which I quite like.
Overall good SF!

Mexen

Oh man, you could totally screw with her head.

"Honey, I can't believe they invent time travel!"

"Why isn't Batman doing more to stop the aliens?"
Neat idea!

She’s been calling bad days at work chaotic eras! And I invite her to rehydrate in the tub if you know what I mean!

Vyse

Gold Member
I quite like them, especially Book 2. They can be slow, dense with flat characters but I found the story engaging enough to keep going.
There’s a lot of interesting science which I quite like.
Overall good SF!
Got all three downloaded and ready to read!

Salz01

One of the worst series, I ever saw. So disappointing. It peaked at episode 5 and just went down hill after that. So damn boring and stupid. The books just have to be better.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
One of the worst series, I ever saw. So disappointing. It peaked at episode 5 and just went down hill after that. So damn boring and stupid. The books just have to be better.
Well that answers my question. I watched just the first two episodes and I’m already feeling iffy about it. Was gonna ask folks here if it’s worth watching the whole thing, but it doesn’t seem so.

Bartski

Gold Member
I'll just preface this by saying if being on this forum has taught me anything, it's how much we all differ in our perception of media... No offense, guys, but reading through this thread as well as some Reddit posts about the series,
I feel like I'm experiencing a glitch in the matrix.

Let's agree to disagree then, but having invested 5 hours of my life into this current amazing Netflix headliner, I do have something to say:

The show is an abomination, a slap in the face to the science-fiction genre, and I feel literally appalled by it, let alone to see it called a "thrilling story that redefines sci-fi drama with its layered mysteries and genre-bending high stakes" from a list of Emmy-winning authors, like holy fuck.

Not sure if I feel my intelligence insulted harder by trying to suspend my disbelief watching this endless, offensively stupid drivel that seems to be in contest with itself to one-up every dumb idea with a somehow even dumber one, or by reading positive reviews of it on the internet. It's hands down the most retarded plot I've been subjected to in years, played out by a lead cast of cardboard cutout diverse tokens as believable as scientists as Clooney's bat-nipple, whose whole schtick is throwing up word salads made of semi-contemporary science buzzwords and expecting the viewer to have no idea what they actually mean, written in hopes to impress 12-year-olds reading Astronomy For Dummies or your 70-year-old mom who's been long out of the loop.

Reaching its peak in episode 5 with some of its BIG REVEALS, secret service genius nanofiber vs ship hard drive retrieval strat and the final twist quantum-entangled-proton-tech all seeing eye so mind-numbingly idiotic I just sat there in awe. And don't get me started on the trash-tier CGI or the whole "VR game" sub plot, good lord...

It's neither so-bad-it's-good bad, nor unintentionally-funny type bad. It's just bad, so fucking bad by the end of it I felt like I needed to take a shower.

Maybe except for certain performances by a few smoking hot chicks (the sect assassin girl? #would... oh and Sir Davos), but I'm not watching episode 6 even if someone would pay me for it.

Let's just take this moment to thank Denis Villeneuve for Arrival and Nolan for Interstellar. Sci-Fi isn't dead, just hidden far behind literal mountains of turd.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
I'll just preface this by saying if being on this forum has taught me anything, it's how much we all differ in our perception of media... No offense, guys, but reading through this thread as well as some Reddit posts about the series,

Let's agree to disagree then, but having invested 5 hours of my life into this current amazing Netflix headliner, I do have something to say:

The show is an abomination, a slap in the face to the science-fiction genre, and I feel literally appalled by it, let alone to see it called a "thrilling story that redefines sci-fi drama with its layered mysteries and genre-bending high stakes" from a list of Emmy-winning authors, like holy fuck.

Not sure if I feel my intelligence insulted harder by trying to suspend my disbelief watching this endless, offensively stupid drivel that seems to be in contest with itself to one-up every dumb idea with a somehow even dumber one, or by reading positive reviews of it on the internet. It's hands down the most retarded plot I've been subjected to in years, played out by a lead cast of cardboard cutout diverse tokens as believable as scientists as Clooney's bat-nipple, whose whole schtick is throwing up word salads made of semi-contemporary science buzzwords and expecting the viewer to have no idea what they actually mean, written in hopes to impress 12-year-olds reading Astronomy For Dummies or your 70-year-old mom who's been long out of the loop.

Reaching its peak in episode 5 with some of its BIG REVEALS, secret service genius nanofiber vs ship hard drive retrieval strat and the final twist quantum-entangled-proton-tech all seeing eye so mind-numbingly idiotic I just sat there in awe. And don't get me started on the trash-tier CGI or the whole "VR game" sub plot, good lord...

It's neither so-bad-it's-good bad, nor unintentionally-funny type bad. It's just bad, so fucking bad by the end of it I felt like I needed to take a shower.

Maybe except for certain performances by a few smoking hot chicks (the sect assassin girl? #would... oh and Sir Davos), but I'm not watching episode 6 even if someone would pay me for it.

Let's just take this moment to thank Denis Villeneuve for Arrival and Nolan for Interstellar. Sci-Fi isn't dead, just hidden far behind literal mountains of turd.
Funny, I think Arrival and ESPECIALLY Interstellar, were ATROCIOUS sci-fi. Atmospheric, sure, but logically they were both disasters. 3BP might not have stuck the landing entirelly but the source material is pretty damn solid and they did a decent job translating it from a china centric focus to something that would appeal to more audience.

It certainly has issues, like how assassin chick could body guys twice her size or really explaining how things like the sophon actually work in favor of emotional scenes with cancer guy or whatever, but for 8 eps it kept it moving.

GermanZepp

I looked the first episode. I can't understad how someone could write that scrip.. Everithing is awful. Absolutelly abysmal, the characters.. the woke dialog lines.. The jump between times and location.. the ACTING holy shit, the cientist caricature.. To think the budget spend on that garbage almost offend me. If someone liked this there is no other conclusion that has horrible taste, i declare.

Last edited:

GermanZepp

oh man, i just write my opinion without reading the thread. Seems to me we got the same impression, being english not my language i couldn't articulated better

vpance

The show unfortunately is not free from the addition of the typical Josh Whedon style cringy characters and dialogue that pervades everything now, but I found the premise interesting enough to finish it.

Salz01

The show unfortunately is not free from the addition of the typical Josh Whedon style cringy characters and dialogue that pervades everything now, but I found the premise interesting enough to finish it.
Sure the premise was/is interesting, but they blew their load in Episode 5. After that it’s all down hill. It’s like I felt I was watching two different series. Somebody already linked it here, but this is spot on.

vpance

Sure the premise was/is interesting, but they blew their load in Episode 5. After that it’s all down hill. It’s like I felt I was watching two different series. Somebody already linked it here, but this is spot on.

I think the story ending where it did certainly didn't help and I can see why people didn't like how it peaked and just ended. Felt a bit like an extended prologue.

I did like how the space probe mission didn't go as planned. The whole assassination attempt instructions by the sophons is a bit plot hole-ish since they've already show they can mess around with anyone's minds but I guess it's explained better in the books.

Bartski

Gold Member

Being painfully boring is the least of its problems but the video does a pretty good job unpacking the outrageously idiotic plot.

Funny, I think Arrival and ESPECIALLY Interstellar, were ATROCIOUS sci-fi. Atmospheric, sure, but logically they were both disasters. 3BP might not have stuck the landing entirelly but the source material is pretty damn solid and they did a decent job translating it from a china centric focus to something that would appeal to more audience.

It certainly has issues, like how assassin chick could body guys twice her size or really explaining how things like the sophon actually work in favor of emotional scenes with cancer guy or whatever, but for 8 eps it kept it moving.
If Arrival and Interstellar "were logically disasters" in comparison... I really don't know what to tell you.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Being painfully boring is the least of its problems but the video does a pretty good job unpacking the outrageously idiotic plot.

If Arrival and Interstellar "were logically disasters" in comparison... I really don't know what to tell you.
"Our language let's us talk through time" and "I fell into a black hole and now I am a ghost in my daughters library...because of love" are two straight up RIDICULOUS sci-fi premises.

Hardensoul

"Our language let's us talk through time" and "I fell into a black hole and now I am a ghost in my daughters library...because of love" are two straight up RIDICULOUS sci-fi premises.
I never understood the love for Interstellar, that what’s like what the hell. How did he get back there. That killed the movie for me! I’ve never watched again.

Top Bottom