• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tim Sweeney say earlier praise has nothing to do with Sony's $250 million dollar investment

pyrocro

Everyone here knows that epic is competing with steam right?
I'm with Tim with giving creator/publishers a bigger share of game profits,
Hell I take their free games every week.

But saying you only got paid because the demo was soooo sooo good sony just had to drop the 250Mil is a lie.

Nothing is wrong with making an investment pitch, but you don't get to make everyone else out as fools for pointing out the obvious placating to Sony.
I believe this is why a lot of people are upset.

pyrocro

None of this relates to whether or not the textures are compressed

I'm guessing you are referring to "that nanite crunches down losslessly in each frame" This relates to geometry not the textures, Nothing said in this video implies that the textures weren't compressed. Even the cinematic versions of these models use compressed textures when they are in the engine.
He does not understand how the pipeline works which is ok, but he also berates others and regularly ignores corrections.

Everyone here knows that epic is competing with steam right?
I'm with Tim with giving creator/publishers a bigger share of game profits,
Hell I take their free games every week.

But saying you only got paid because the demo was soooo sooo good sony just had to drop the 250Mil is a lie.

Nothing is wrong with making an investment pitch, but you don't get to make everyone else out as fools for pointing out the obvious placating to Sony.
I believe this is why a lot of people are upset.

Yeah thats the issue. Everyone says these deals take months to hammer out. So obviously, theyve been at it for a while, even before that UT5 demo. Its pretty obvious that Tim knew this investment was coming from sony.

What else would partners say about each others products? It just makes everything he now says biased.

Edit: Hell, that money coming in was probably a big factor for them making that ps5 UT5 demo.

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
Yeah thats the issue. Everyone says these deals take months to hammer out. So obviously, theyve been at it for a while, even before that UT5 demo. Its pretty obvious that Tim knew this investment was coming from sony.

What else would partners say about each others products? It just makes everything he now says biased.

Edit: Hell, that money coming in was probably a big factor for them making that ps5 UT5 demo.

Things that Sweeney said were:

"The hardware that Sony is launching is absolutely phenomenal. Not only an unprecedented amount of graphics power, but also a completely new storage architecture that blows past architectures out of the water."

Based on the timing, he would have known that Series X (at least on paper) has more flip flops, more CUs so the PS5 wouldn't really be unprecedented in terms of graphics power. He didn't say "next-generation", he specifically singled out PS5.

Keighley asks:
"What's your take on... what you're showing here, how is this going to scale to, you know, other systems... will that run on the Xbox Series X (and PC)?"
Epic guy says:
"Unreal Engine is going to run across all of our supported platforms, next generation, current generation as well as mobile devices.

Keighley asks:
"Do you have a sense of how they (PS5 and Xbox Series X) are going to compare in terms of power or... the overall landscape?"

Sweeney says:
"We love all of our babies, and we can't make comparisons or pick favorites"

If you watch back, you'll notice how (if I remember correctly) the guys at Epic never once mentioned the words 'Xbox' or 'Xbox Series X' during that interview. It's almost like it was a list of taboo words that Sony PR had told them not to use. It's totally fine if they have a marketing deal with Sony ($250m is a pretty lucrative marketing deal) but everything Sweeney said after the fact suggested that it was just their genuine views not money-filtered.

Disclaimer:

inb4 "Xbox butthurt fanboy" - No I'm not an Xbox fanboy. I'm most likely getting PS5. I just like to call out bullshit :p I even made an entire thread shitting on the Inside Xbox stream.

Last edited:

Ascend

"The hardware that Sony is launching is absolutely phenomenal. Not only an unprecedented amount of graphics power, but also a completely new storage architecture that blows past architectures out of the water."
That's part of his great wordplay. He leaves out 'compared to previous PlayStation consoles' after that bold part, making people think it's compared to all other hardware in existence. It should be like this;

"The hardware that Sony is launching is absolutely phenomenal. Not only an unprecedented amount of graphics power compared to previous PlayStation consoles, but also a completely new storage architecture that blows past PlayStation console architectures out of the water."

Kenpachii

That's part of his great wordplay. He leaves out 'compared to previous PlayStation consoles' after that bold part, making people think it's compared to all other hardware in existence. It should be like this;

"The hardware that Sony is launching is absolutely phenomenal. Not only an unprecedented amount of graphics power compared to previous PlayStation consoles, but also a completely new storage architecture that blows past PlayStation console architectures out of the water."

That's exactly what he does. and those console fanboys eat it up like nothing else.

Top Bottom