• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tim Sweeney say earlier praise has nothing to do with Sony's $250 million dollar investment

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Knock it off with the low effort antagonistic console war posts.
The real difficulties (we will see for who) will begin once DF starts making comparison videos.

Did those ever matter last gen? Did the Xbox outsold the PS4 with that?

Keep sucking DF dick lol. It almost sound as if DF is Xbox's "last hope" to survive. PlayStation doesn't need DF video's to sell....

You guys are clueless at this point.

Keep sucking DF dick lol. It almost sound as if DF is Xbox's "last hope" to survive. PlayStation doesn't need DF video's to sell....

Why so angry ? All your posts are about how great technically the ps5 is, so it has to have the best versions of the games. The Xbox one was losing the DF comparisons. Sales’ numbers have nothing to do with the topic of this thread.

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Why so angry ? All your posts are about how great technically the ps5 is, so it has to have the best versions of the games. The Xbox one was losing the DF comparisons. Sales’ numbers have nothing to do with the topic of this thread.

Angy? no, you just sound so stupid. Of course it's super easy to make everything around Xbox depend completely on DF.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Do we need the name calling? PS4 ran games better than Xbox One. Was it DF dick sucking to point that out when it happened? Were you just as dismissive then? I don't know what your point is.

I was very clear with my post, but let me ask you, what does DF has to do with this topic about Tim Sweeny?

Angy? no, you just sound so stupid. Of course it's super easy to make everything around Xbox depend completely on DF.
This is a technical thread and the bottom line is which console will have better looking and running 3rd party games, where a direct comparison can be made. Again you are certain that the ps5 is better, why the name calling ? (won’t report you anyway, the last thing that I care about is reporting people in a videogames forum).

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
This is a technical thread and the bottom line is which console will have better looking and running 3rd party games, where a direct comparison can be made. Again you are certain that the ps5 is better, why the name calling ? (won’t report you anyway, the last thing that I care about is reporting people in a videogames forum).

What comparison are you making? You mean bitching around in this thread?

XSX doesn’t need damage control, it is the most powerful console (for the time of its release) since the original Xbox (which for me is the best, hardware-wise , console ever released for the time of its release). It actually has specs (12.2 Tf RDNA2GPU, 3,8 GHz Zen2 CPU) that people couldn’t believe were possible before MS unveiled it at TGA. MS really should have spent a bit more and put 20 GBs of Ram inside this beast.

Not to shutter your world but Sony didn’t show a game with anything like what you described in their showcase, that was an epic demo (one at 1440p/30fps) that was completely empty of anything else (enemies with A.I for example). Sony had their showcase and we saw what the ps5 games will look until at least 2022 (since Horizon 2 was there, and this is supposed to be their big graphical showcase for the upcoming years).

Of course Sony could have a handful of games looking like what you described in your dream world and keeping them under wraps which just makes horizon2 look bad in comparison.

Yeah yeah, you are already volunteering to be reported by other with some nonsense your spreading around.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Doesn't that depend on which came first? And even then is it any different from asking why we trust a review score from a site that advertises the game in question?
Which came first? The Xbox series x was announced and shown way befor the PS5 and alsorts with much better specs. Yeah the SSD is amazing in the PS5and I am looking forward to getting one, but this is a bad look for Tim and Epic now that money has changed hands and they exclusively talking about how their tech will be just on the PS5 and not the competition and that includes PC

I was very clear with my post, but let me ask you, what does DF has to do with this topic about Tim Sweeny?
He said the ps5 is the best thing ever, if 3rd party games look
What comparison are you making? You mean bitching around in this thread?

Yeah yeah, you are already volunteering to be reported by other with some nonsense your spreading around.
Where are the lies in the posts you quote ? Isn’t the UE5 demo 1440p/30 fps ? Isn’t it true that Sony didn’t show anything even approaching that demo ? Isn’t it true that when early rumors started about the specs of the next gen Xbox would be most people didn’t believe them ? Isn’t it true that both the GPU&CPU of the XSX are extremely powerful with no need for variable clock speeds ? Don’t see why the anger.

Last edited:

jakinov

It was so weird watching Tim the past months praising the PS5 all the time while remaining completely silent about the XsX. People started to question if that his new shill behaviour wasn’t coming from a deal, and turns out it was.

Seems to me that are the Sony fans the ones butthurt because the world has found out that Tim’s words had an obvious agenda behind them.
Because the Xbox Series X doesn't do anything out of the ordinary that's worth praising. Anyone could have asked AMD for more GPU power, asked other for faster RAM and could have clocked their CPU higher. People question it because they have a bias for Xbox/PC and against PlayStation and want praise for their favorite platform too. You aren't going to get praise for doing something that people expect you to do. You get praise for innovation and doing things differently well. It's why real technical people didn't care that Android phones had more than double the RAM than iPhones or had faster CPUs on paper. It's not interesting for an Android OEM to go to the same supplier and just ask for their best part. Circling back to Xbox, they aren't even asking for their best part as the upcoming consumer CPU/GPUs will likely be much better. Which just makes it even less interesting and even more not worth talking about.

Even if hypothetically Tim words were influenced by a future investment that hasn't happened yet. That doesn't make what they are saying any less true. Other technical people also applaud the SSD and the custom silicone that Sony added to the PS5. Only people downplaying it are companies who have marketing deals with Microsoft, Microsoft owned developers and xbox fans. There was even a whole incident where a popular YouTuber tried going after TIm and a bunch of other technical people sided with Tim's stance and eventually so did this person who is well respected in the consumer-technology space. Digital Foundry has also applauded the design decisions by Sony and hasn't really countered anything that they said.

onQ123

It was so weird watching Tim the past months praising the PS5 all the time while remaining completely silent about the XsX. People started to question if that his new shill behaviour wasn’t coming from a deal, and turns out it was.

Seems to me that are the Sony fans the ones butthurt because the world has found out that Tim’s words had an obvious agenda behind them.
So what about all the other devs who are not praising the Xbox SX? are they getting a Sony deal also?

It really shows that you're angry, i suggest you to calm down or it gonna end up badly (ban), you can't insult people because they don't agree with you, that's weak.

Which came first? The Xbox series x was announced and shown way befor the PS5 and alsorts with much better specs. Yeah the SSD is amazing in the PS5and I am looking forward to getting one, but this is a bad look for Tim and Epic now that money has changed hands and they exclusively talking about how their tech will be just on the PS5 and not the competition and that includes PC

I meant the investment came after the comments.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
It really shows that you're angry, i suggest you to calm down or it gonna end up badly (ban), you can't insult people because they don't agree with you, that's weak.

My apologies, but seeing his discussions in this threads. Yes he is clueless and acts as if the things he is saying already are the facts.

But trying to hide behind DF is imo a lame excuse.

semicool

Banned
I say you're soon to find out that it's mostly just a compute advantage for Xbox SX
I'll make a $500 bet with you that more than 50 percent of games that are on both ps5 and XSX, multiplats, perform better(fps) at the same resolution on the XSX than the ps5? Let's say during the first year of releases on next gen so I don't have to wait more than a year to collect my money?

I'm also thinking you won't take that bet and you will come up with some type of excuse as to why you won't. Though we all know it's because you don't truly believe the ps5 will outperform the XSX on the same game, performance at a same like for like resolution on the majority of the shared games.

Last edited:

onQ123

I'll make a $500 bet with you that more than 50 percent of games that are on both ps5 and XSX, multiplats, perform better(fps) at the same resolution on the XSX than the ps5? Let's say during the first year of releases on next gen so I don't have to wait more than a year to collect my money?

I'm also thinking you won't take that bet and you will come up with some type of excuse as to why you won't. Though we all know it's because you don't truly believe the ps5 will outperform the XSX on the same game, performance at a same like for like resolution on the majority of the shared games.

I don't gamble but some games will come out better on Xbox SX & some will come out better on PS5 it will depend on how the games are designed.

Do you really think the investment just came one day with no prior talks? For something like that it takes a long time to go through. Tim obviously presided the PS5 and sweetens then deal
According to Sony fans it just happened like that, a regular call :
Sony : "we want to invest 250mill"
Epic : "Done"
because sweeny is a billionaire and 250mill are penny's to him.

Do you really think the investment just came one day with no prior talks? For something like that it takes a long time to go through. Tim obviously presided the PS5 and sweetens then deal

I think we don't know the exact details and are engaging in hypotheticals. Like I said, it's no different than distrusting a review of a game because the company that made it advertises on the website.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I think we don't know the exact details and are engaging in hypotheticals. Like I said, it's no different than distrusting a review of a game because the company that made it advertises on the website.
This is completely different situation than what you describe. This is the developer of a third party engine completly ignoring Xbox and pc when they talk about their engine. No way is this the same as advertising on the review site. The Xbox series X is the more powerful console and is ignored by Tim and epic in any chat about Unreal Engine 5

This is completely different situation than what you describe. This is the developer of a third party engine completly ignoring Xbox and pc when they talk about their engine. No way is this the same as advertising on the review site. The Xbox series X is the more powerful console and is ignored by Tim and epic in any chat about Unreal Engine 5

That's bogus he's absolutely talked about it running on Series X but the demo was for PS5 because of the throughput and architecture of the SSD/system. I know it offends people who think all that matters is 2 extra tflops but some people are more impressed by Sony's SSD/architecture.

quest

Not Banned from OT
That's bogus he's absolutely talked about it running on Series X but the demo was for PS5 because of the throughput and architecture of the SSD/system. I know it offends people who think all that matters is 2 extra tflops but some people are more impressed by Sony's SSD/architecture.
Outside a sarcastic tweet where has he had a serious talk about series x. Outside shitting on the PC platform and making some YouTube guy cry into a apology video where has he talked about the pc?

You can admit that 250 million and the possiblity of playstation games on the epic store has warped their PR to one side. Find me another 3rd party who does a world press tour for only one side out of the kindness of their hearts lol. Im sure EA or ubisoft will totally go out there on world tour and ignore one side like mentioning it is like saying Voldemort lmao.

Last edited:
Outside a sarcastic tweet where has he had a serious talk about series x. Outside shitting on the PC platform and making some YouTube guy cry into a apology video where has he talked about the pc?

You can admit that 250 million and the possiblity of playstation games on the epic store has warped their PR to one side. Find me another 3rd party who does a world press tour for only one side out of the kindness of their hearts lol. Im sure EA or ubisoft will totally go out there on world tour and ignore one side like mentioning it is like saying Voldemort lmao.

It was sarcastic? Really? "The Nanite and Lumen tech powering it will be fully supported on both PS5 and Xbox Series X and will be awesome on both." - What's sarcastic there? He didn't shit on the PC platform, what he said about overhead is factually true. Linus apologized because he was wrong, like wtf is this response.

I can admit that a thing that happened after and a thing that hasn't necessarily happened had an effect on what he said? I don't need to, like another poster said unless retroactive bribes are a thing. I don't really know what world press tour means here.

GymWolf

483m8f.jpg

mcjmetroid

Why does he even bother.
I actually think gamers would respect him more if he said
" They gave us 250 million dollars, so we're gonna praise the shit out of this console"

quest

Not Banned from OT
It was sarcastic? Really? "The Nanite and Lumen tech powering it will be fully supported on both PS5 and Xbox Series X and will be awesome on both." - What's sarcastic there? He didn't shit on the PC platform, what he said about overhead is factually true. Linus apologized because he was wrong, like wtf is this response.

I can admit that a thing that happened after and a thing that hasn't necessarily happened had an effect on what he said? I don't need to, like another poster said unless retroactive bribes are a thing. I don't really know what world press tour means here.
It was sarcastic after getting heat all day and night about not saying anything about other platforms that single tweet came out it was sarcastic as hell.

World press tour means they are going out doing weekly interviews to promote Sony PS5 hence the weekly epic says this threads.

Lethal01

Here, it's only ~9 minutes, watch it all:

You can as well go to the official article:

You said "Wake up people, the official gameplay demo of UE5 running on PS5 with lossless, uncomprssed, Hollywood-level 8K assets with 16K shadows: "

I've already watched the video atleast 30 times at this point, nowhere did they ever claim that they didn't not compress their textures. That would just be silly.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
You said "Wake up people, the official gameplay demo of UE5 running on PS5 with lossless, uncomprssed, Hollywood-level 8K assets with 16K shadows: "

I've already watched the video atleast 30 times at this point, nowhere did they ever claim that they didn't not compress their textures. That would just be silly.

Timestamped:

8K = 33.2 megapixels. When you compress it down, polygons count go down as well. It came directly from z-brush. Then entering the next chamber with more than 500 of those, and PS5 crunch those on the fly losslessly to 20 million polygons per frame. Now please lesson again, cinematic assets are used in uncompressed, PNG form: (timestamped)

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I think Tim Sweeney is more earnest than he gets credit for. Tactless? Yeah. Autistic? Probably. But I don't think he's as much of a bullshitter as people think. He's a John Carmack-style turbonerd who doesn't really know how to people.

It was sarcastic after getting heat all day and night about not saying anything about other platforms that single tweet came out it was sarcastic as hell.

World press tour means they are going out doing weekly interviews to promote Sony PS5 hence the weekly epic says this threads.

This is a persecution complex, my dude.

Na ill have PS5 once the slim comes lol. Don't be mad a few of us said for weeks there was some sort of agreement and we were right. Not everyone can read between the lines or understand companies or people don't do shit for free. But deflect away it is cute.

How is it deflecting, you're literally reading meanings into things that don't exist. There isn't even a remote hint of sarcasm in the tweet. Also there have been WEEKLY interviews? No, there haven't, most shit you're talking about is just tweets because people keep talking to him on Twitter.

Lethal01

8K = 33.2 megapixels. When you compress it down, polygons count go down as well. It came directly from z-brush. Then entering the next chamber with more than 500 of those, and PS5 crunch those on the fly losslessly to 20 million polygons per frame.
None of this relates to whether or not the textures are compressed

cinematic assets are used in uncompressed, PNG form: (timestamped)

I'm guessing you are referring to "that nanite crunches down losslessly in each frame" This relates to geometry not the textures, Nothing said in this video implies that the textures weren't compressed. Even the cinematic versions of these models use compressed textures when they are in the engine.

supernova8

Banned
Seems a little hard to believe that they started negotiating, finalised and executed a $250 million deal to invest in Epic in the space of 2 months (Unreal 5 launched in May, they would've started creating it long before that). That's just on the money itself and doesn't include any discussions about what Sony expects in return for said investment. No way that it's anything close to no strings attached.

Maybe they did but especially considering Corona, all seems a little too convenient.

SleepDoctor

Banned
Seems a little hard to believe that they started negotiating, finalised and executed a $250 million deal to invest in Epic in the space of 2 months (Unreal 5 launched in May, they would've started creating it long before that). That's just on the money itself and doesn't include any discussions about what Sony expects in return for said investment. No way that it's anything close to no strings attached.

Maybe they did but especially considering Corona, all seems a little too convenient.

How dare you use common sense. Can't you see Sony called Tim after the demo one night and told him "we want to give 250M just cuz".

Roxkis_ii

Why would Xbox fans be butthurt when the Series X is more powerful than the PS5 in almost every way? :rolleyes:

Because threads like this keep popping up putting xbox fans insecurities on full display. We have had more threads on epic unreal demo then the last Xbox presentation and half of them were probably made by xbox fans trying to insert some kind of doubt of the presentation.

Like, how are people still doing damage control from the unreal demo?? How sad is that..

BUT hey, most powerful console in the would tho.....🤡

semicool

Banned
Because threads like this keep popping up putting xbox fans insecurities on full display. We have had more threads on epic unreal demo then the last Xbox presentation and half of them were probably made by xbox fans trying to insert some kind of doubt of the presentation.

Like, how are people still doing damage control from the unreal demo?? How sad is that..

BUT hey, most powerful console in the would tho.....🤡
There are legitimate concerns about Tim Sweeny's bias and credibility in regards to comments he's made about Sony and being "in bed" with Sony financially or did you not read the OP?

There are even legitimate concerns if his credibility and the money will affect the technical aspects and performance of the vaunted Unreal Engine now and in the future.

This see if we can discuss these things without ad hominem attacks to either fanbase especially since either fanbase is not part of this discussion. This discussion is about Epic, their Unreal Engine, and Tim Sweeny.

Last edited:
Top Bottom