• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tim Sweeney say earlier praise has nothing to do with Sony's $250 million dollar investment

sircaw

Banned
It was so weird watching Tim the past months praising the PS5 all the time while remaining completely silent about the XsX. People started to question if that his new shill behaviour wasn’t coming from a deal, and turns out it was.

Seems to me that are the Sony fans the ones butthurt because the world has found out that Tim’s words had an obvious agenda behind them.

Or Tim is telling the truth, and the ps5 actually is amazing. (WE actually got to see the DEMO WORKING ) Remember he's not the only one that has been praising the ps5. But don't worry i am sure you will try and find a way to downplay that as well. Talk about butthurt, kettle.

sircaw

Banned
They "DREAM" that demo is not true, it haunts some here.

At the end of the day, its not about Sweeny or sony or even the bloody engine, alot of people here are upset for the fact it has not appeared on the xbox or that it was skipped.

The thought that said Demo running so amazing, with all the 8k, that new type of lighting, which lets face, it was bloody brilliant, has caused such a massive ripple effect.

I am gonna laugh in a few weeks time if xbox suddenly invests 500 million in Epic. I can only imagine the spinning wheels then.

Anyways enough of this silly thread,

Last edited:

CrysisFreak

Banned
The screeching is funny.
They developed a demo for PS5 to demonstrate a possibly realistic new rendering paradigm that is supposed to scale to some degree with I/O performance.
Mentioned that UE5 obviously scaling across different consoles.
Why would he go on in detail about the Series X? Why does he have to do that to prove that he's unbiased. It's just a demo.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
In 2018, Epic Games did better than it did in 2019. Revenue in 2018 was $5.6 billion. Epic used a lot of that money to invest in its Epic Games Store, expanding its staff for Fortnite and Unreal Engine, and some acquisitions. The company has raised $1.6 billion to date, including $1.25 billion raised in 2018.

$78,400,000 ($78.4 million) is 1.4% out of $5,600,000,000 in one year if it was in 2018.

In 2019, Epic Games reported $4.2 billion in revenue and $730 million in earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation, and amortization (EBITDA, a key measure of profitability). Revenue for 2020 is forecast to be $5 billion, with EBITDA of $1 billion.

$60,200,000 ($60.2 million) is 1.4% out of $4,300,000,000.

Damn, they can return their investment money in around 4-5 years.

Last edited:
It was so weird watching Tim the past months praising the PS5 all the time while remaining completely silent about the XsX. People started to question if that his new shill behaviour wasn’t coming from a deal, and turns out it was.

Seems to me that are the Sony fans the ones butthurt because the world has found out that Tim’s words had an obvious agenda behind them.

He did mention the Series X, he said the tech would work well on it. He's praising the architecture of the PS5 which we also had a Gearbox dev praise in a recent thread because of how easy it is to use even when compared to the Series X. Was that guy also a shill? He admitted you can push effects a bit more on Series X but Sweeney never claimed otherwise about PS5, his praise was about the SSD and how the system is designed to use it easily. You can be suspicious of his words because of this deal but pretending you've found absolute proof is kinda stretching it. To compare it to politics (because this shit feels so damn political) people like to accuse the NRA of being some powerful lobby accept by their own words they only support candidates who support 2A already, they've never once donated to someone to get them to change their view on 2A, and the politician with the most NRA donations, Marco Rubio, still doesn't have NRA in his top 10 lobbyist groups for donations. Sort of like how 250 million is a drop in the bucket for Epic games. That said we already knew Fortnite was going to be a "launch title" for PS5 and the UE5 demo was designed to take advantage of PS5 hardware, there is no nefarious secret here, they are clearly investing in one another and if that makes Sweeney's words suspect then shouldn't it make the words of any dev praising any devkit they've been given suspect? Are they going to tell you a system is poorly designed when they want you to buy their game on it? The only people with access to how well designed these systems are are people who have a vested interest in YOU being interested in them, you either take their word or take no one's word and wait for the systems to be publicly available for third party scrutiny.

Last edited:

FranXico

The screeching is funny.
They developed a demo for PS5 to demonstrate a possibly realistic new rendering paradigm that is supposed to scale to some degree with I/O performance.
Mentioned that UE5 obviously scaling across different consoles.
Why would he go on in detail about the Series X? Why does he have to do that to prove that he's unbiased. It's just a demo.
Because it was his obligation to be biased towards Xbox, that's why.

So the new killzone E32005 cgi video is a...demo with no enemies, no gameplay, nothing, at 1440p/30fps even though Sony has shown how the ps5 games will look until, at least 2022 ? Cool.....

So the new killzone E32005 cgi video is a...demo with no enemies, no gameplay, nothing, at 1440p/30fps even though Sony has shown how the ps5 games will look until, at least 2022 ? Cool.....

That was pretty absurd of them but am I the only one who thinks the game looked BETTER than that demo? There's tech in the demo the game can't do but it legitimately is more appealing looking to me.

It didn’t, not even close. The E32005 demo was basically battlefield 5 on Xbox one x type of cgi-like graphics.

I mean, that's just opinion.

3083965-7808302693-28233.gif

Last edited:
I mean, that's just opinion.

3083965-7808302693-28233.gif
Nah, gifs won’t cut it (just about everything looks good in a giff, they hide jaggies, bad textures e.t,c). Just put the YT video of the CGI trailer and then the game, no comparison. Oh and it wasn’t just killzone, Sony had shown fake trailers for motorstorm and resistance at E32005 too. The thing is that we have a good idea as to how the ps5 games will look until 2022 (since I am willing to bet that horizon 2 will be the graphical flagship game of the ps5 in 2022, nevermind that Sony said that it might arrive in 2021, it won’t) so discussing about an empty demo makes zero sense. When we see games like that demo at 4k on the ps5 then we can make comparisons.

Jon Neu

Banned
He did mention the Series X, he said the tech would work well on it.

He did barely mention it with the smallest mouth ever and only because journalists insisted in question him about it. He was even reluctant and clearly nervous when people asked him about the XsX.

His weird Sony PR behaviour had people questioning if Sony had Epic on their pocket and turns out time has proved that to be true to an extent even greater.

Last edited:
Nah, gifs won’t cut it (just about everything looks good in a giff, they hide jaggies, bad textures e.t,c). Just put the YT video of the CGI trailer and then the game, no comparison. Oh and it wasn’t just killzone, Sony had shown fake trailers for motorstorm and resistance at E32005 too. The thing is that we have a good idea as to how the ps5 games will look until 2022 (since I am willing to bet that horizon 2 will be the graphical flagship game of the ps5 in 2022, nevermind that Sony said that it might arrive in 2021, it won’t) so discussing about an empty demo makes zero sense. When we see games like that demo at 4k on the ps5 then we can make comparisons.

Okay, first of all... LOL... the game looks significantly better when you play it than it does in GIF form, actually. For like a myriad reasons, like are you serious? I already admitted the demo is exhibiting tech the game isn't capable of, my argument is purely opinion that it LOOKS superior, not that it's utilizing superior tech. Also, you've displayed a pattern of dishonesty at the same E3 conference... but it's from 2005... has this happened since? They were severely flogged and never did it again.

He did barely mention it with the smallest mouth ever and only because journalists insisted in question him about it. He was even reluctant and clearly nervous when people asked him about the XsX.

His weird Sony PR behaviour had people questioning if Sony had Epic on their pocket and turns out time has proved that to be true to an extent even greater.

I'm not sure what with the smallest mouth ever means. Reluctant and nervous? What?

Ah yes, the billionaires allegiance has been bought with millions, not sure why MS doesn't just give him 251 million to get him to go talk up their system, clearly that's all it takes.

tenor.gif

Sony made a huge mistake showing that KZ2 trailer & Motor Storm.

Who said they didn't?

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I think since this has come out that Sony paid money into epic, I don’t think it looks good on Tim all the praise he gave the PS5 even if he believes it. It now just looks like what ever he say will be paid to say unless he starts healing heavy praise on the Xbox series x to

I think since this has come out that Sony paid money into epic, I don’t think it looks good on Tim all the praise he gave the PS5 even if he believes it. It now just looks like what ever he say will be paid to say unless he starts healing heavy praise on the Xbox series x to

Doesn't that depend on which came first? And even then is it any different from asking why we trust a review score from a site that advertises the game in question?

Jon Neu

Banned
I'm not sure what with the smallest mouth ever means. Reluctant and nervous? What?

Dude, we all saw it and commented on it before the deal was public.

I understand you need to have your Sony bias validated by a famous person like Tim and think his oponions are genuine and don’t come at all because of business reasons, but sorry, it is what it is.

Ah yes, the billionaires allegiance has been bought with millions, not sure why MS doesn't just give him 251 million to get him to go talk up their system, clearly that's all it takes

If it was the other way around and was MS the ones giving Epic 250 millions while Epic suddenly couldn’t stop talking about how great the XsX is without barely mentioning the PS5, I’m pretty sure you wouldn’t doubt the sincerity and the bias of Tim then.

Super sure.

Last edited:
Dude, we all saw it and commented on it before the deal was public.

I understand you need to have your Sony bias validated by a famous person like Tim and think his oponions are genuine and don’t come at all because of business reasons, but sorry, it is what it is.

All saw what? I saw it in tweet form, not sure how I was meant to gauge how reluctant or nervous he was.

Where did I say business reasons had no part of it? I said they clearly are invested in each other.

If it was the other way around and was MS the ones giving Epic 250 millions while Epic suddenly couldn’t stop talking about how great the XsX is without barely mentioning the PS5, I’m pretty sure you wouldn’t doubt the sincerity and the bias of Tim then.

Super sure.

Tu Quoque fallacy, like usual your arguments are stellar.

Jon Neu

Banned
Where did I say business reasons had no part of it? I said they clearly are invested in each other.

Ah yes, the billionaires allegiance has been bought with millions, not sure why MS doesn't just give him 251 million to get him to go talk up their system, clearly that's all it takes

Dude, respect yourself a little.

Tu Quoque fallacy, like usual your arguments are stellar

You don’t even know when that fallacy applies :messenger_grimmacing_

Dude, respect yourself a little.

You don’t even know when that fallacy applies :messenger_grimmacing_

What about those two quotes is contradictory?

Also, it absolutely applies to what you're doing... what you were doing is the fucking definition of it. Like WTF, dude? "It is a fallacy because the moral character or actions of the opponent are generally irrelevant to the logic of the argument.[3] It is often used as a red herring tactic and is a special case of the ad hominem fallacy, which is a category of fallacies in which a claim or argument is rejected on the basis of facts about the person presenting or supporting the claim or argument"

semicool

Banned
I think the real reason some of you are upset is that PS5 is getting a lot of praise from the *(Sony paid) dev community . I would be worried too if I was you guys lol
Fixed that for ya!

Nobodys worried. We can have to make sure we identify who's getting paid by Sony and who isn't. That's simple enough. Tim was getting paid and worse.......he misled and lied about it so he should be given even less cred than a biased 1st party Sony dev. Both have obvious bias now, but Tim lied. Double whammy for Tim. It's the lying people take issue with the most, moreso than the paid for bias.

Usually when some lies and misleads, it hurts your credibility.

Last edited:

semicool

Banned
Funny you guys loved Epic when Microsoft founded them to make Gears of War exclusive for the Xbox 360 .
It's about paid for bias and worse...lying about it. Apparently you didn't get my other response so I'll post it again.

We can identify who's getting paid by and who isn't. That's simple enough. Tim was getting paid and worse.......he misled and lied about it so he should be given even less cred than a biased 1st party Sony dev. Both have obvious bias now, but Tim lied. Double whammy for Tim(paid for bias and lying). It's the lying people take issue with the most, moreso than the paid for bias.

Usually when some lies and misleads, it damages your credibility from that point till..well serious change of heart and disposition.

Last edited:

Ascend

Funny you guys loved Epic when Microsoft founded them to make Gears of War exclusive for the Xbox 360 .
It's no secret that MS basically paid everyone off for things like timed exclusives, and also had deals with certain developers for exclusives. The issue here is that some people (choose to) believe Sweeney was praising the PS5 purely out of the goodness of his heart, because the PS5 is oh so good and oh so revolutionary. Unfortunately, the praising of the PS5 by Sweeney is also the result of a deal. It might not be exactly this $250 million dollar investment one, but there was one.

onQ123

It's about paid for bias and worse...lying about it. Apparently you didn't get my other response so I'll post it again.

We can identify who's getting paid by and who isn't. That's simple enough. Tim was getting paid and worse.......he misled and lied about it so he should be given even less cred than a biased 1st party Sony dev. Both have obvious bias now, but Tim lied. Double whammy for Tim(paid for bias and lying). It's the lying people take issue with the most, moreso than the paid for bias.

Usually when some lies and misleads, it damages your credibility from that point till..well serious change of heart and disposition.

This is stuff that's in your mind because of your own bias .

Nothing Tim has said was bias SMH

semicool

Banned
This is stuff that's in your mind because of your own bias .

Nothing Tim has said was bias SMH
I obviously disagree with your assessment about Tim. Obviously different opinions, however only one opinion can be truly correct in this regard. I believe he has a paid for, financially motivated bias and a liar in this particular regard.

I also believe the evidence is in favor of my opinion.

Last edited:

onQ123

It's no secret that MS basically paid everyone off for things like timed exclusives, and also had deals with certain developers for exclusives. The issue here is that some people (choose to) believe Sweeney was praising the PS5 purely out of the goodness of his heart, because the PS5 is oh so good and oh so revolutionary. Unfortunately, the praising of the PS5 by Sweeney is also the result of a deal. It might not be exactly this $250 million dollar investment one, but there was one.

Or he really love what the PS5 achieved when running Unreal Engine 5 & some people can't handle what he said about the PS5 & take it as a diss towards another console which it wasn't.

I think the real reason some of you are upset is that PS5 is getting a lot of praise from the dev community . I would be worried too if I was you guys lol
Which den community ? The «We made everything with Sony and they invested 250 million $$ in our company» dev community or the Sony developers’ dev. community?

We have already seen AAA ps5 games so discussing a demo is whatever anyway...

Last edited:

onQ123

Which den community ? The «We made everything with Sony and they invested 250 million $$ in our company» dev community or the Sony developers’ dev. community?

We have already seen AAA ps5 games so discussing a demo is whatever anyway...

Pick one

SleepDoctor

Banned
People still trying hard to downplay the 250M deal lol.

Sony should have invested that into making a powerful, instead of buying Epic's praise.

Touting the UE5 demo is pointless since nothing will ever match it. They said a game like that would take hundreds of gigabytes.

People still trying hard to downplay the 250M deal lol.

Sony should have invested that into making a powerful, instead of buying Epic's praise.

Touting the UE5 demo is pointless since nothing will ever match it. They said a game like that would take hundreds of gigabytes.
Some people are legitimately acting as if Sony showed a barrage of 4k games running on the UE5 in their showcase.

semicool

Banned
By the way, in regards to Tim being financially motivated, having 7 or 8 billion in stock is quite different to having 250 million in real cash on hand that's distributed, soon enough, directly to the investors pockets..is..bank accounts. Stock "money" != Bitcoin or anything. Its quite the process: devalue upon selling out, legalities etc.. it's just "potential" money, not money that he can actually use in the present. "1 bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush..."

Hypothetical Question, would people take 250 million cash in account today that they can access immediately or 7 billion in stock options that say they can cash out when they are 75 years old?

Last edited:

SleepDoctor

Banned
Some people are legitimately acting as if Sony showed a barrage of 4k games running on the UE5 in their showcase.

They loved posting shit like "UE5 not possible on XSX or PC". Now Sweeney got caught with his hand in Sony's cookie jar. I said it way before it was announced, that he had a deal with them.

Its called conflict of interest. Its common sense and the truth bothers them. I couldn't even imagine the context of the shitposting in these threads had this been Microsoft caught "paying shills".

Top Bottom