• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tim Sweeney say earlier praise has nothing to do with Sony's $250 million dollar investment

Azurro

Banned
Now PCMR people with their feelings hurt that one aspect of their vroom vroom machines is slower than a console are going insane with "I knew it all along!! My ePeen has been restored! It's all BS!!", while the Xbox people with their 15% extra teraflops can go back to feeling like the Series X games will have double the performance of a PS5.

I can't wait for the launch period to be over and things settle down a bit. Console warring makes any forum tiresome.

Now PCMR people with their feelings hurt that one aspect of their vroom vroom machines is slower than a console are going insane with "I knew it all along!! My ePeen has been restored! It's all BS!!", while the Xbox people with their 15% extra teraflops can go back to feeling like the Series X games will have double the performance of a PS5.

I can't wait for the launch period to be over and things settle down a bit. Console warring makes any forum tiresome.
I can’t wait for the digital foundry comparisons.

thelastword

Banned
The crazy thing is. Sweeney showed what's possible on the PS5 in real-time, no 24fps movie he did not......People were wowed, people were impressed.....Then later on, when people thought that was all. Epic revealed that the PS5 demo is only using Fortnite's GPU footprint running at 60fps, so it's not that high at all and again speaks to the SSD's strength in saving GPU cycles whilst creating real next gen looking graphics.....

So people who think Sweeney was paid off or schilling are missing the forest for the trees or are blind. Whilst other people speak a good game, Sweeney shows and talks a good game.....One doesn't go without the other. So if Sweeney said real, life-like quality is possible on PS5, I'm inclined to believe that Sweeney has seen some stuff being devved in UE5, since the footprint on the Nanite demo is not maxing out PS5, so PlayStation Studios have more leeway to make what we saw even more impressive..

I told folk after the early demo, that this is just a teaser of things to come, some latched unto 1440p and 30fps, but I told them then that this was just an early work in progress to show the technology. These graphics could easily be improved to 4k 60fps come launch day on PS5 or if they decided to do a full game out of it with enough development time.......And yes, the demo certainly warrants a game in my opinion..

fybyfyby

Of course it has something to do with it but not as a direct consequence. If Sony collaborated intensively with epic developers to finetune UE5 for PS5, of course Epic says PS5 is great. And if that collaboration was fruitful, its natural that Sony invested in Epic. Theres nothing wrong. Sweeney didnt say anything bad about XSX and he would be dumb to put XSX into disadvantage with UE5. I hope collaboration between Sony and Epic will give us more PS games on Epic store and more polished UE5 games on PS5. That would be great for all people.

The crazy thing is. Sweeney showed what's possible on the PS5 in real-time, no 24fps movie he did not......People were wowed, people were impressed.....Then later on, when people thought that was all. Epic revealed that the PS5 demo is only using Fortnite's GPU footprint running at 60fps, so it's not that high at all and again speaks to the SSD's strength in saving GPU cycles whilst creating real next gen looking graphics.....

So people who think Sweeney was paid off or schilling are missing the forest for the trees or are blind. Whilst other people speak a good game, Sweeney shows and talks a good game.....One doesn't go without the other. So if Sweeney said real, life-like quality is possible on PS5, I'm inclined to believe that Sweeney has seen some stuff being devved in UE5, since the footprint on the Nanite demo is not maxing out PS5, so PlayStation Studios have more leeway to make what we saw even more impressive..

I told folk after the early demo, that this is just a teaser of things to come, some latched unto 1440p and 30fps, but I told them then that this was just an early work in progress to show the technology. These graphics could easily be improved to 4k 60fps come launch day on PS5 or if they decided to do a full game out of it with enough development time.......And yes, the demo certainly warrants a game in my opinion..
Oh yeah expect many ps5 games with this fidelity at 4k/60 fps (😂😂😂😂😂). Sony showed even 2022 games (Horizon 2 and I am willing to bet with anyone that it is a 2022 game) that looked nothing like the UE5 demo but ......come launch day....😅😅😅

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Wake up people, the official gameplay demo of UE5 running on PS5 with lossless, uncomprssed, Hollywood-level 8K assets with 16K shadows:

"With Nanite, we don't have to bake normal maps from a high-resolution model to a low-resolution game asset; we can import the high-resolution model directly in the engine. Unreal Engine supports Virtual Texturing, which means we can texture our models with many 8K textures without overloading the GPU." Jerome Platteaux, Epic's special projects art director, told Digital Foundry. He says that each asset has 8K texture for base colour, another 8K texture for metalness/roughness and a final 8K texture for the normal map. But this isn't a traditional normal map used to approximate higher detail, but rather a tiling texture for surface details.

++++

"Really, the core method here, and the reason there is such a jump in shadow fidelity, is virtual shadow maps. This is basically virtual textures but for shadow maps. Nanite enables a number of things we simply couldn't do before, such as rendering into virtualised shadow maps very efficiently. We pick the resolution of the virtual shadow map for each pixel such that the texels are pixel-sized, so roughly one texel per pixel, and thus razor sharp shadows. This effectively gives us 16K shadow maps for every light in the demo where previously we'd use maybe 2K at most. High resolution is great, but we want physically plausible soft shadows, so we extended some of our previous work on denoising ray-traced shadows to filter shadow map shadows and give us those nice penumbras."

Let's assume Epic Games is bribed, show me now such details in a running gameplay on another platform and we'll be happy to acknowledge that instead of accusing official facts as being lies while empty-handed. The faster you submit to these facts the better.

Last edited:

TheAssist

You sure about that, Bob?

I love how twitter showed me tweets about Sony releasing GoT (only a month after their last big AAA game) and below that was Greenberg talking about updates to Halo 3 xD.
This tweet seems clickbaity. I dont know, its so incredibly obvious that I dont think they deliberately talked the PS5 up. I mean it was only logical that people would jump to the conclusion that they were being bought.

I just hope MS has some interesting stuff to show this month.

SirTerry-T

Wake up people, the official gameplay demo of UE5 running on PS5 with lossless, uncomprssed, Hollywood-level 8K assets with 16K shadows:

"With Nanite, we don't have to bake normal maps from a high-resolution model to a low-resolution game asset; we can import the high-resolution model directly in the engine. Unreal Engine supports Virtual Texturing, which means we can texture our models with many 8K textures without overloading the GPU." Jerome Platteaux, Epic's special projects art director, told Digital Foundry. He says that each asset has 8K texture for base colour, another 8K texture for metalness/roughness and a final 8K texture for the normal map. But this isn't a traditional normal map used to approximate higher detail, but rather a tiling texture for surface details.

++++

"Really, the core method here, and the reason there is such a jump in shadow fidelity, is virtual shadow maps. This is basically virtual textures but for shadow maps. Nanite enables a number of things we simply couldn't do before, such as rendering into virtualised shadow maps very efficiently. We pick the resolution of the virtual shadow map for each pixel such that the texels are pixel-sized, so roughly one texel per pixel, and thus razor sharp shadows. This effectively gives us 16K shadow maps for every light in the demo where previously we'd use maybe 2K at most. High resolution is great, but we want physically plausible soft shadows, so we extended some of our previous work on denoising ray-traced shadows to filter shadow map shadows and give us those nice penumbras."

Let's assume Epic Games is bribed, show me now such details in a running gameplay on another platform and we'll be happy to acknowledge that instead of accusing official facts as being lies while empty-handed. The faster you submit to these facts the better.

That's all well and good but means fuck all for anything other than static objects in a world.

There's a reason anything animated in that UE5 scene didn't look anything extra special...aside from all the little automated context animations.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
That's all well and good but means fuck all for anything other than static objects in a world.

There's a reason anything animated in that UE5 scene didn't look anything extra special...aside from all the little automated context animations.

Well, it's still in pre-alpha status, and you can calculate those extra non-static objects with a less mind-blowing assets and shadows that is more than an overkill for 4K, let alone 2K.

CRAIG667

True. But it has everything to do with Mark's visit to Sweeney's mansion hot-tub on that fateful night.

jfnzxk8.jpg
If he isnt the creepiest guy ever I don't know who is.

FranXico

I can’t wait for the digital foundry comparisons.
Because you know that Rich will be right there, passionately exaggerating any difference in favor of Xbox and expressing much concern towards the PS5.
After all, like Phil lovingly says, he does "good work".

You waited 7 years for the glory 360 days to return. Your reckoning is at hand.

Their turn to suffer!!

:pie_roffles: :pie_roffles: :pie_roffles: :pie_roffles:

Because you know that Rich will be right there, passionately exaggerating any difference in favor of Xbox and expressing much concern towards the PS5.

Their turn to suffer!!

7 years ? The Xbox one x came out in 2017, so it is more like 4 years (2013-2017) and that is not even the issue. I knew the ps4 was substantially more powerful than the Xbox one and always expected that it would win in every DF comparison hence I bought one on launch day. This unwillingness to accept the obvious is what will make the DF comparisons funny.

Again , and I won’t stop writing it, imagine if things were the exact opposite in everything (specs, form factor) between the XSX and the ps5 what a laughing stock MS would be on the Internet. Now we have an incredible effort to change reality (with how the ssd will do this and that, how variable clock speeds don’t matter because the GPU&CPU will «always» perform at the maximum clocks , but still Sony called The clock speeds variable just for the hell of it e.t.c.)

++++

Not to shutter your world but Sony didn’t show a game with anything like what you described in their showcase, that was an epic demo (one at 1440p/30fps) that was completely empty of anything else (enemies with A.I for example). Sony had their showcase and we saw what the ps5 games will look until at least 2022 (since Horizon 2 was there, and this is supposed to be their big graphical showcase for the upcoming years).

Of course Sony could have a handful of games looking like what you described in your dream world and keeping them under wraps which just makes horizon2 look bad in comparison.

Last edited:

Krisprolls

Banned
Which forthcoming high end PC SSD do I need to buy(say price is no barrier) for my pretty crappy PC to get it to perform above the performance(fps, resolution, graphics settings, AI behavior etc..) of the PS5 do you know?

Unfortunately it doesn't exist right now so it's not possible.

Even if you could buy a comparable SSD, you would still get inferior performance due to the dedicated IO controller and other hardware optimizations only available on PS5.

All of that said as much as Epic is linked to Sony now they do not want to burn Microsoft. Epic wants to continue to receive their cut on revenue from Xbox first party titles games made using Unreal, like Rare’s games and Gears. It would also not be in Epics interest to decrease unreal’s support for Xbox as that would upset third party devs trying to make games for all platforms. What will be interesting to see is if Microsoft moves to make some of their propriety engines like Halo’s Slipspace engine or Forza tech more widely available to their first party studios in an attempt to build synergies and provide some standardization.
Exactly, why would a publicly traded 17 Billion dollar company risk all the money for a minority stake holder that is into them for $250 Million. BTW I don't think this is closed investment space, If MS wanted to invest in Epic they could damn sure afford a measly $250 Million. Epic would never burn those bridges. They make more money from everyone else vs Playstation. They're gonna sacrifice potential profits for an investment of $250 Million and the majority stake holders are okay with it?

Edit: I'm an idiot, i thought the talks of an IPO in 2018 actually went through.

Last edited:

Infamy v1

Xbox fans are so butthurt it's ridiculous now.

We had tons of 3rd party devs praising PS5, not only Epic, so unless you think Sony paid every of them, you'll have to accept the reality : PS5 has indeed the most impressive and innovative architecture.

Sounds like you're the butthurt one, making up lies to feel better. Please name the "tons" of 3rd party devs, I'm waiting. 99% of devs praising PS5 are Epic (vast majority) and...unnamed "devs" anonymously messaging Jason before the specs were revealed (hmm... ) or random sites like Gameblog.fr.

When even Geoff of all people, a huge Sony fan, called Tim Sweeney out on how he kept dodging Xbox questions (even when asked multiple times), you know there's something up. Otherwise he wouldn't get so weird and dodgy literally every time he is asked about Xbox.

khakimzhan

Exactly, why would a publicly traded 17 Billion dollar company risk all the money for a minority stake holder that is into them for $250 Million. BTW I don't think this is closed investment space, If MS wanted to invest in Epic they could damn sure afford a measly $250 Million. Epic would never burn those bridges. They make more money from everyone else vs Playstation. They're gonna sacrifice potential profits for an investment of $250 Million and the majority stake holders are okay with it?

Epic Games is NOT publicly traded company.

One major point - 250 min from Sony almost 99% went right into Sweeney’s pocket, because he is a majority owner of the company. (Another stakeholder is Tencent)

Epic Games is NOT publicly traded company.

One major point - 250 min from Sony almost 99% went right into Sweeney’s pocket, because he is a majority owner of the company. (Another stakeholder is Tencent)
Omg, I thought that they went through with the IPO LOL there were talks about it in 2018, I guess that's why I never bought into them 🤔 I wonder how much Tencent is invested for? He's probably jerking them off right now lol

I'm still gonna have to disagree tho. I think he honestly really likes the PS5, mostly cause it was built for developers like him. I mean, a cool $250 Million is cool too, but not at the cost of burning bridges with all of those other guys who use his engine. It just doesn't make business sense. I mean, he's a very smart individual.

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

Their turn to suffer!!

Rich is going to talk up Lockhart. Hes going to say things like

"Lockhart with its superior upscaling looks identical to the PS5 version in motion. But there is something special about the series x version that cannot be matched in terms of PQ."

Then NX gamer will give us the real scoop.

khakimzhan

Omg, I thought that they went through with the IPO LOL there were talks about it in 2018, I guess that's why I never bought into them 🤔 I wonder how much Tencent is invested for? He's probably jerking them off right now lol

I'm still gonna have to disagree tho. I think he honestly really likes the PS5, mostly cause it was built for developers like him. I mean, a cool $250 Million is cool too, but not at the cost of burning bridges with all of those other guys who use his engine. It just doesn't make business sense. I mean, he's a very smart individual.

yep, it is a private company with two shareholders tencent with about 40% and Sweeney with more than 50% (now with Sony at yet undisclosed amount)

I don’t think he burnt any bridges, it is not like Microsoft can walk to another game engine - today UE is de facto industry standard. Microsoft already announced major first party games to be built on UE

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Sounds like you're the butthurt one, making up lies to feel better. Please name the "tons" of 3rd party devs, I'm waiting. 99% of devs praising PS5 are Epic (vast majority) and...unnamed "devs" anonymously messaging Jason before the specs were revealed (hmm... ) or random sites like Gameblog.fr.

When even Geoff of all people, a huge Sony fan, called Tim Sweeney out on how he kept dodging Xbox questions (even when asked multiple times), you know there's something up. Otherwise he wouldn't get so weird and dodgy literally every time he is asked about Xbox.

You have clearly been sleeping in the past months.

jakinov

Pople can’t accept this because it is bullshit, simple as that. «shoving in extra CUs» , newsflash that’s what every graphics card developer in the world does to increase the power of a GPU, every time an attempt has been made with simply overclocking (see some ATI cards) it has been a total failure. Faster Ram, much more powerful GPU, faster CPU versus a faster SSD....whatever.....

If things were the exact opposite , if the ps5 had the XSX specs and form factor while the XSX was a giant router with varying clock rates , MS would have been laughed out of the Internet, just like in the Xbox one/ps4 days.

Oh and it is not just Tim’s praise, rewatch the UE5 presentation to see how he reacts when Geoff asks him about Xbox, Tim goes out of his way to not speak the word Xbox and starts talking about .......mobile😂😂😂😂
You kind of missed the point and strengthened my point that it’s extremely interative and normal and not worth talking about to shove in extra CUs. If Sony wanted to they could have also asked AMD for more CUs. AMD is even going to probbaly have even more faster CU than the Xbox on the cards they plan on releasing this year. Which is again why it’s not worth praising. It’s not innovative or special.

If developers start developing games using a “just in time” strategy To memory usage opposed to a “just in case” i.e. they get data when they need not in case they need it ( which is something both Microsoft and Sony expect developers to do in the future), SSD usage is going to go up and it’s going to lead to potentially more GPU/CPU idling in the system with a slower SSD. This is an example of common bottle neck described in computer science (usually between memory and the CPU) but if you are relying on data even further away from the GPU/CPU then it’s the same issue but exasperated. Then you have to consider the work offloaded from the CPU/GPU from the other custom components that the Xbox doesn’t have. Both consoles have hardware for decompressing data, but the PlayStation has extra components that off loads work from the CPU every time data is moved. Things like this result in the PlayStation possibly being able to get the same or more out of their slightly weaker CPU than the Xbox with their faster CPU. You can have two fast box movers where one is a bit faster than the other but if the faster box mover has to spend more time waiting for someone to hand him a box and has to spend extra time opening doors then it’s not going to be able to work constantly on just moving boxes.

The idling part also applies the GPU. And Sony also added in custom components that offload work from the GPU, and helping it be more efficient. The other components of the GPU that aren’t accounted for in the TFLOPS calculations are supposed to run faster/more efficiently with the higher clocks. There’s also the argument that with Microsoft design it’s harder for a developer to find useful work for all their extra CUs at all times. Maybe in the end the Xbox does still use more of theIt theoretical peak performance than the PlayStation efficiently using theirs on average. But then you have consider if that bit of extra power manifests into something more perceptible compared to being able to load higher quality assets. If it’s worth the development overhead to have a bit more power? Does it manifest into a better use experience? Probbaly not.

in regards to RAM, if developers are again expected to have a “just in time” approach having a bunch of data you might need in RAM is far less likely. So having very fast RAM is arguably more likely going to be bottle necked by having a slower SSD because you are more likely going to try and work with data from there over what you already have in memory. For workloads, where you are going to mainly work with what’s in RAM then the Xbox will be more efficient. But the SSD will bottleneck the faster RAM in the other workloads. This is partly why Tim praises the system for being “balanced”. It’s fairly good at doing both cases and not just extra well at the one.

If things were the opposite of course people would be talking shit. There’s a bunch of fanboys on both side.

He’s not supposed to talk about Xbox If PlayStation asks them to do a demo for them. He wouldn’t talk about Google/Microsoft when he’s demoing things for apples metal and he wouldn’t be taking about Apple or google when he praises Hololens for Microsoft.

Lethal01

++++

When did they say it was uncompressed? I don't see a reason they wouldn't compress their assets.

Infamy v1

You have clearly been sleeping in the past months.

You clearly know how to prove the complete opposite of your intended point.

4 out of 4 of the tweets in that OP are all Naughty Dog devs or former Naughty Dog devs. LOL. And I partook in that topic: the consensus was that it was a majority 1st party devs with the random odd 3rd party dev (one particularly very, VERY pro-Sony anyway), which led to insecure people spamming devs twitters to try and add to the topic and it eventually dying.

Nice try, though.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
You clearly know how to prove the complete opposite of your intended point.

4 out of 4 of the tweets in that OP are all Naughty Dog devs or former Naughty Dog devs. LOL. And I partook in that topic: the consensus was that it was a majority 1st party devs with the random odd 3rd party dev (one particularly very, VERY pro-Sony anyway), which led to insecure people spamming devs twitters to try and add to the topic and it eventually dying.

Nice try, though.
Somewhere in that mix will be the 1886 Ready at Dawn CEO. He did a brown nosing tweet too. Guy was looking to suck up and get bought out. Looks like Sony balked, or FB just offered more. 3 months later RaD sells out to FB.

Ascend

$250 Million definitely kinda helps in the "praising" department. But damn, for a company like Epic, with a valuation of $17 Billion, to be on them nuts that much for just $250 Million! Imagine all the action that's happening for the companies that fronted the $1.8 Billion. That much praise for only $250 Million, that's a steal, There could be a chance that he might just be really happy with the PS5 architecture? Is that a possibility? Asking for a friend.
If you already had $17k dollars in your savings account, would you turn down $250 to do some advertising for a couple of hours?

If you already had $17k dollars in your savings account, would you turn down $250 to do some advertising for a couple of hours?
Would you sleep with that thirsty hoe over there (Thot) if you knew there was a chance you'd get caught and lose your GF?

Things to think about :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Ascend

++++

Just remember that Sweeney himself confirmed that nanite will run on both consoles and will be awesome on both. There is nothing in that piece of text saying that only the PS5 can do it. And yes, PC will get it too with DX12U.

Xbox fans are so butthurt it's ridiculous now.

We had tons of 3rd party devs praising PS5, not only Epic, so unless you think Sony paid every of them, you'll have to accept the reality : PS5 has indeed the most impressive and innovative architecture.
Or maybe Xbox has a stricter NDA.

And me going to work has nothing to do with getting paid hahaha. I do it because I am a bored billionaire with nothing else to do yeah thats the ticket!

I give Tim credit he loves to double and triple down when busted in a fib.

They also got a custom IO rewrite and custom optimizations no other platforms will get. So it is not a bad deal. The engine out of the box will run the best on the PS5 with the custom work.
and you really think deals like these are good for gamers in general?

You kind of missed the point and strengthened my point that it’s extremely interative and normal and not worth talking about to shove in extra CUs. If Sony wanted to they could have also asked AMD for more CUs. AMD is even going to probbaly have even more faster CU than the Xbox on the cards they plan on releasing this year. Which is again why it’s not worth praising. It’s not innovative or special.

If developers start developing games using a “just in time” strategy To memory usage opposed to a “just in case” i.e. they get data when they need not in case they need it ( which is something both Microsoft and Sony expect developers to do in the future), SSD usage is going to go up and it’s going to lead to potentially more GPU/CPU idling in the system with a slower SSD. This is an example of common bottle neck described in computer science (usually between memory and the CPU) but if you are relying on data even further away from the GPU/CPU then it’s the same issue but exasperated. Then you have to consider the work offloaded from the CPU/GPU from the other custom components that the Xbox doesn’t have. Both consoles have hardware for decompressing data, but the PlayStation has extra components that off loads work from the CPU every time data is moved. Things like this result in the PlayStation possibly being able to get the same or more out of their slightly weaker CPU than the Xbox with their faster CPU. You can have two fast box movers where one is a bit faster than the other but if the faster box mover has to spend more time waiting for someone to hand him a box and has to spend extra time opening doors then it’s not going to be able to work constantly on just moving boxes.

The idling part also applies the GPU. And Sony also added in custom components that offload work from the GPU, and helping it be more efficient. The other components of the GPU that aren’t accounted for in the TFLOPS calculations are supposed to run faster/more efficiently with the higher clocks. There’s also the argument that with Microsoft design it’s harder for a developer to find useful work for all their extra CUs at all times. Maybe in the end the Xbox does still use more of theIt theoretical peak performance than the PlayStation efficiently using theirs on average. But then you have consider if that bit of extra power manifests into something more perceptible compared to being able to load higher quality assets. If it’s worth the development overhead to have a bit more power? Does it manifest into a better use experience? Probbaly not.

in regards to RAM, if developers are again expected to have a “just in time” approach having a bunch of data you might need in RAM is far less likely. So having very fast RAM is arguably more likely going to be bottle necked by having a slower SSD because you are more likely going to try and work with data from there over what you already have in memory. For workloads, where you are going to mainly work with what’s in RAM then the Xbox will be more efficient. But the SSD will bottleneck the faster RAM in the other workloads. This is partly why Tim praises the system for being “balanced”. It’s fairly good at doing both cases and not just extra well at the one.

If things were the opposite of course people would be talking shit. There’s a bunch of fanboys on both side.

He’s not supposed to talk about Xbox If PlayStation asks them to do a demo for them. He wouldn’t talk about Google/Microsoft when he’s demoing things for apples metal and he wouldn’t be taking about Apple or google when he praises Hololens for Microsoft.
Everything in your post is kool aid, nvidia, ati e.t,c don’t know better than Sony and its mythical «customisations»? How do you know that any of what you write is true ? The whole graphics’ industry is moving to a different direction so that is «boring» , what in the world are you talking about ?

How is the SSD a....bottleneck for the XSX, hell the XSX is an extremely balanced system where everything seems like it will be working in harmony, everything in it is just great and RELIABLE. The ps5 , on the other hand, is an underpowered console with CPU&GPU which we still don’t know their average clock speeds (since Sony didn’t bother to provide the lower end of the variable clock speeds) with much slower ram for the most part and just an ultra fast SSD which some people have come to believe that it will produce graphics or something.

Sony wanted a cheaper machine that could be BC with the ps4 , that’s why the 36 CUs . The ps4 was an extremely conservative console too and so is the ps5. The only difference is that MS isn’t coming with another Xbox one, a very underpowered console, but with a true monster of a console which I bet , just by looking at it , that it is way better engineered than the monstrosity that seems to be the ps5.

Anyway the DF comparisons will come and we will see who is right. This is the insiders’ bs all over again.

Last edited:

Blond

Banned
Sony bought for 250mln 1,5% of Epic. not 50%

Is this all from Fornite? Because this entire generation we barely saw Unreal used unlike the previous generations and I'm shocked how they're making money without the licensing fees.

Why are people keep mentioning the entire worth of epic ? That is not the cash flow of epic, it is their entire worth, I mean this is like saying that MS has a trillion $$ available, they don’t. 250 million$ is an extremely substantial cash injection for epic.

How is the SSD a....bottleneck for the XSX, hell the XSX is an extremely balanced system where everything seems like it will be working in harmony, everything in it is just great and RELIABLE. The ps5 , on the other hand, is an underpowered console with CPU&GPU which we still don’t know their average clock speeds (since Sony didn’t bother to provide the lower end of the variable clock speeds) with much slower ram for the most part and just an ultra fast SSD which some people have come to believe that it will produce graphics or something.

Anyway the DF comparisons will come and we will see who is right. This is the insiders’ bs all over again.
No offense, but what credentials do you have to making these claims? because you sound very sure of your statement.

How do you know what a "balanced system" is? what is "harmony" when it comes to a systems architecture? If you could explain all this to us I think we could just end all these types of threads.

Last edited:
No offense, but what credentials do you have to making these claims? because you sound very sure of your statement.

How do you know what a "balanced system" is? what is "harmony" when it comes to a systems architecture? If you could explain all this to us I think we could just end all these types of threads.
A system where everything is stable and of equal power/speed is balanced, A system that hides behind variable clock speeds, that looks like the biggest console ever made (despite being less powerful on paper) and that its manufacturer doesn’t even present the range of these variable clock speeds while having just a very fast SSD and everything else way worse, is not.

A system where everything is stable and of equal power/speed is balanced, A system that hides behind variable clock speeds, that looks like the biggest console ever made (despite being less powerful on paper) and that its manufacturer doesn’t even present the range of these variable clock speeds while having just a very fast SSD and everything else way worse, is not.
Hmm... so you are a systems engineer. Most posters here speculate, you straight up state it!

Edit: I don't know why regular joe think they know anything about hardware engineering at all.

Last edited:

Lethal01

Just remember that Sweeney himself confirmed that nanite will run on both consoles and will be awesome on both. There is nothing in that piece of text saying that only the PS5 can do it. And yes, PC will get it too with DX12U.

Sweeny himself said that currently available technology can't run Nanite as well as the PS5 does because it's built around streaming from storage.

Top Bottom