• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall 2 Free weekend, 3/30-4/3!

The download is way too big to try it for a weekend.

Yeah this is my problem for most of these 'free weekends' these days.

I'm not downloading that much for 3 days.

If it was a free week then maybe.

I just stick to the longer betas nowadays, never bother with free weekends.

TF2 had it's time, now it's TF2s time to shine. Not joking when I say that this joke is used on my work slack channel and it drives people insane.
TF2 GOAT!

TF2 probably still has a higher player count tbh.

Leiru

Yeah this is my problem for most of these 'free weekends' these days.

I'm not downloading that much for 3 days.

If it was a free week then maybe.

I just stick to the longer betas nowadays, never bother with free weekends.

TF2 probably still has a higher player count tbh.
It is a week.

blakep267

Tried the free weekend after owning it way back at launch but then selling it. I probably won't buy this again game is still fun but it's kind of inexcusable to only have delivered 2 maps(remakes at that) in almost 6 months of being released. The post launch support has been garbage for this game

oneils

Went to download the demo this morning on PS4 and it says selected content not available at this time. I'm in Canada. Is it not available here or do I go somewhere else for it.

deoee

Tried the free weekend after owning it way back at launch but then selling it. I probably won't buy this again game is still fun but it's kind of inexcusable to only have delivered 2 maps(remakes at that) in almost 6 months of being released. The post launch support has been garbage for this game

it's actually 4 maps, 2 remakes, 2 for Live Fire which is a new and free mode.
There were 2 new weapons and huge tweaks in balancing.

I think the support is good for a free DLC model.

oneils

Downloading the trial both on PS4 and Xbox One to compare them to the PC version. In the time the Xbox has already donwloaded more than 5 gb, the PS4 has only downloaded 3 gb. Weren't downloads supposedly faster on PS4 than on Xbone?

Installing games from disk on PS4 is faster. That might be what you are thinking of.

Where can I go to download this? Under trending demos when I click it says that content cannot be selected at this time. The regular game isn't free it's 30 bucks.

Mutant

Does anybody think this game uses too many buttons in combat? Like, there's jumping, crouching,abilities, iron sights, shooting, grenades, and reloading. There's only so many triggers and shoulder buttons, how am I suppose to utilize wall running, jumping, crouching, and my abilities in combat? There's bumper jumper, but then it also maps the titan's defensive ability to x (which means you can't aim when you defend yourself, which is... Not good!) I guess you can customize the controls yourself but... What am I going to give up? Aiming down the sights? Grenades?

Does anybody think this game uses too many buttons in combat? Like, there's jumping, crouching,abilities, iron sights, shooting, grenades, and reloading. There's only so many triggers and shoulder buttons, how am I suppose to utilize wall running, jumping, crouching, and my abilities in combat? There's bumper jumper, but then it also maps the titan's defensive ability to x (which means you can't aim when you defend yourself, which is... Not good!) I guess you can customize the controls yourself but... What am I going to give up? Aiming down the sights? Grenades?

I never had an issue with it myself. Especially when using jumper.

scrub problems, lol

WillyFive

Game is pretty fun, love the use of adaptive resolution to keep the framerate up on PC.

Only thing I would change is have everyone start with a Titan in every mode (except Pilot vs Pilot for obvious reasons). The lack of Titan gameplay for most of the matches' duration is baffling.

Pavaloo

So as a veteran, what's your advise?

I'd say generally the game is very frenetic and taking it all in can be overwhelming at first. Even as someone who played over 100 hours on the first Titanfall I really needed time to adjust and just get my ass handed to me when getting into TF2. It eventually clicks, but I'm not sure what specific advise I'd give other than sticking with the game, playing the campaign, and trying out different load outs to see what you enjoy most.

Dylan

Game is pretty fun, love the use of adaptive resolution to keep the framerate up on PC.

Only thing I would change is have everyone start with a Titan in every mode (except Pilot vs Pilot for obvious reasons). The lack of Titan gameplay for most of the matches' duration is baffling.

I like it. It guarantees a certain amount of pilot v pilot, which would never happen if everyone started with Titans. Despite the name, the pilot gameplay is the highlight of Titanfall2 imo.

Just played the trial single player mission, and a couple of games of multiplayer. I enjoyed the single player, though I have too many other games to play right now. As for the multiplayer, I had very little idea what was happening. So many game modes, menus, unlockables, etc. Does the full game have a multiplayer tutorial at all?

Just played the trial single player mission, and a couple of games of multiplayer. I enjoyed the single player, though I have too many other games to play right now. As for the multiplayer, I had very little idea what was happening. So many game modes, menus, unlockables, etc. Does the full game have a multiplayer tutorial at all?

Campaign is kind of a tutorial for the most part actually

clav

Crash Site is the worst map. Should be removed from rotation.

Play first part of game in Pilot vs. Pilot with camo and bunch up next to each other. Discourages any kind of aggressive play due to design.

After getting Titan, stay in a corner and kill stragglers.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I meant I was more confused by the sheer amount of menus, gameplay modes, different online lobbies, etc. I highly doubt Campaign acts as a tutorial for that?
To be honest, the game is at a state where there are just two modes that are viable - Attrition and whatever the featured mode is at the moment.

Arrrammis

To be honest, the game is at a state where there are just two modes that are viable - Attrition and whatever the featured mode is at the moment.

On PC maybe. But on xbox one and PS4 it's really easy to find games in all game modes, especially with the new mixtape system.

Respawn should just have made a new cod like game in ww2. Or a new and improved mw. They are the ones that created that series anyways.

Can't really get into this game. Just had too much to do and lacks a core gameplay focus imo

mrlion

I tried it for a couple of days. I didn't like it.

Its pretty much an extension of CoD where weapons are becoming too powerful and once you have the right perks and weapons you can destroy pretty much anyone. Same with Titans. There's no balance to the game. Fun for a weekend but I don't see myself playing it much after that perhaps on CSGO or h1z1 downtime or something like that.

On PC maybe. But on xbox one and PS4 it's really easy to find games in all game modes, especially with the new mixtape system.

Oh, really? If I plan on playing multiplayer, am I best off getting it on console? I'm surprised to hear they have a more active community than PC. I thought PC games typically have healthier online communities?

WillyFive

Oh, really? If I plan on playing multiplayer, am I best off getting it on console? I'm surprised to hear they have a more active community than PC. I thought PC games typically have healthier online communities?

PC game communities tend to last longer, but are not necessarily bigger.

Crumpo

Played quite a lot over the weekend and really loved it-the gameplay is incredibly frenetic and as others have said it's a lot to take in and work out WTF you need to do...once you get over the hump it really clicks-movement across the maps feel great, when you get the hang of the grappling hook and boost.

I still feel half the time I'm just spamming shitloads of buttons and by accident cool shit happens, a bit like when I play OlliOlli.

I'm at lv40 so not sure what else is waiting for me after the trial...I did think I churned through the main maps quickly, too...it could do with a couple more Attrition maps.

Respawn, you had my curiosity; now you have my attention.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
This hasn't been true since they put in the new mixtape.
Are there more than a hundred people playing LTS, PVP or CTF now? lol

I'm at lv40 so not sure what else is waiting for me after the trial...I did think I churned through the main maps quickly, too...it could do with a couple more Attrition maps.
It's super fun to play, even with the Devotion/Hemlock meta (I have no idea if they fixed that) - I made it my goal to get to 10.50 and basically stopped at that point to play other games, so there's that goal if you want to be crazy and devote several days of play time to it. lol

Fezan

I don't know this game feels more like recent cod.Is it me or does the map DE emphasis wall running.

Also I am not that good at fps on consoles. Slow multiplayer may be my thing even though I am enjoying it a lot

WillyFive

I don't know this game feels more like recent cod.Is it me or does the map DE emphasis wall running.

Also I am not that good at fps on consoles. Slow multiplayer may be my thing even though I am enjoying it a lot

Yeah, the maps are not as good as Titanfall 1; they were made to be a lot flatter and conventional, as if designed for a traditional CoD (and according to the early beta, Titanfall 2 was going to be a lot more like normal CoD). Thankfully after the massive backlash from the beta they brought back the original Titanfall-style movement but the maps are still remnants from that past.

clav

Eh, I don't know.

I don't like some maps as I wish I could veto.

I kinda don't like people camp more than the first one. Hold ADS to win and stay there.

I think I'm punished by platforming too much.

Maybe platformers can only play with active camo on.

Melchiah

Fuuu.. Missed this completely. I wish it would have occurred during the week, since not all of us can play on weekends.

This hasn't been true since they put in the new mixtape.

Yup, I have no problem finding each of my fav modes in mixtape: Bounty hunt, Amped HP, Attrition

It's super fun to play, even with the Devotion/Hemlock meta (I have no idea if they fixed that) - I made it my goal to get to 10.50 and basically stopped at that point to play other games, so there's that goal if you want to be crazy and devote several days of play time to it. lol

Hemlock/Devotion abuse has stopped with recent updates from my observations

Now everyone is rocking R-101s, but that's more due to just being content starved as it's essentially a R-201

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yup, I have no problem finding each of my fav modes in mixtape: Bounty hunt, Amped HP, Attrition

Hemlock/Devotion abuse has stopped with recent updates from my observations

Now everyone is rocking R-101s, but that's more due to just being content starved as it's essentially a R-201
They really should just add in a Titanfall 1 Attrition mode and call it a day. lol

It seems likely they'll be added it. We'll probably find out for sure this month.
Yeah, I'll come back whenever they add this in.

Kayant

Tried it out over the weekend but it isn't for me. I love the fast gameplay but the game modes i tried Amped Hardpoint, Attrition games ended way too quickly for my liking.

Love the dynamic settings for keeping a frame rate target and super sampling. If only it was a more common option in games.

plake

I was so hyped for this but totally blanked during the weekend and forgot about this. I hope I'll have time to try this an hour when I get home from work.

Vintage

Tried the beta and now tried this free weekend. Still hate it.

Why did they make everything so cluttered and convoluted? It's like they went brainstorming and said fuck it, let's add everything.

Titanfall had a pretty basic, but very clear gameplay loop, you knew how stuff worked and what you have to do. It took me just a couple matches in first game's beta to know the core of the game and I was ready to play.

Now there's so much stuff on top of another, tangled up together in ways that you need a book to figure out what is what and why. There's some kind of phase shift, trip wires, turrets, crab robots, battery mechanic, wallhacks, maphacks, amped weapons and electric smoke on some kind of timer now, a bank mode that I couldn't figure out in 3 matches and so on. The interface is a mess, there's so much stuff, a lot of times I literally had to stop in place for several seconds just to look where is indicator for something is. Crab robots and tripwires are all red so you end up avoiding them only to realize it's you teammate's. I've died so many times without realizing why I died or there was nothing I could do to avoid death, which is so frustrating.

A lot of you probably will say "git gud", but it was not the case with Titanfall 1. I've played that game a lot, so I expected to know some stuff. Almost every mechanic from the original is now overcomplicated while adding very little depth to the gameplay.

Tried the beta and now tried this free weekend. Still hate it.

Why did they make everything so cluttered and convoluted? It's like they went brainstorming and said fuck it, let's add everything.

Titanfall had a pretty basic, but very clear gameplay loop, you knew how stuff worked and what you have to do. It took me just a couple matches in first game's beta to know the core of the game and I was ready to play.

Now there's so much stuff on top of another, tangled up together in ways that you need a book to figure out what is what and why. There's some kind of phase shift, trip wires, turrets, crab robots, battery mechanic, wallhacks, maphacks, amped weapons and electric smoke on some kind of timer now, a bank mode that I couldn't figure out in 3 matches and so on. The interface is a mess, there's so much stuff, a lot of times I literally had to stop in place for several seconds just to look where is indicator for something is. Crab robots and tripwires are all red so you end up avoiding them only to realize it's you teammate's. I've died so many times without realizing why I died or there was nothing I could do to avoid death, which is so frustrating.

A lot of you probably will say "git gud", but it was not the case with Titanfall 1. I've played that game a lot, so I expected to know some stuff. Almost every mechanic from the original is now overcomplicated while adding very little depth to the gameplay.
There is an FAQ section in-game to explain mechanics...

You can disable HUD elements in settings...

Friendly Ticks show up in blue names...

I do agree that friendly trip wire mines need to have some sort of identification.

Top Bottom