• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall Beta Players: Is "Revolutionary" and "Game Changer" accurate?

scoobs

I think its pretty fun, but to me this doesn't feel much different than CoD and it REALLY doesn't feel like it should be priced anymore than $40.

no... let me clarify. XB1 will outsell the PS4 in NA and UK from March 1st 2014 to December 31st, 2014 when you add up all those months (not every individual month per se).

I think, lifetime, Titanfall will break 8Mil+ with most of those sales on XB1 when all is said and done. Quote that.

I was also the only one to predict the 360 to break 60 mil lifetime when it first came out. Almost everyone scoffed at anything over 40mil at the time.

I'll definitely be quoting that, because it's not going to happen. Titanfall will sell great, it'll sell great on X1, but it won't move enough systems to push the X1 beyond the PS4 outside of maybe March (and that'll likely be due to Supply constrains...again).

I've played 3-4 hours. Feels like CoD with jetpacks and mechs.

Yup, the gunplay is exactly like CoD. It's like, copy/pasted.I realize that these are the guys that worked on CoD, but man. Once the novelty wears off it really is just CoD with mechs/jetpacks. Not that that's a bad thing.

Shingro

This game will be considered the next "Call of Duty" by more than half the COD population. The game will sell best on 360 in Year one but will sell best on XB1 overall after 3 years post-release. PC third.

MS/EA will bank hard on this with their marketing efforts, which will be on Halo/COD level of dudebro epicness. This game *will* sell XB1's. In fact, this game (along with other MS marketing efforts) will help XB1 sell better than PS4 in NA and UK for the remainder of 2014 (year in total from March 1st to December 31st).

If those are the predictions you're looking for Amir0x, then go ahead and bookmark this post because crow will be served to you on New Years, my friend ;) =)

If I recall unoffical poll on the giant bomb chat had around 40% saying they'd skip it, 20% saying they'd buy it on xbox and 40% saying they'd buy it on PC (my numbers might be a bit off, but that's the gist)

I dunno what to tell you man :/

SerodD

If I recall unoffical poll on the giant bomb chat had around 40% saying they'd skip it, 20% saying they'd buy it on xbox and 40% saying they'd buy it on PC (my numbers might be a bit off, but that's the gist)

Dudebros don't watch giant bomb,

-MD-

That's like saying a burger is like a PBJ with beef instead of peanut butter and jelly.

I honestly don't know how to respond to this, I shrugged like 5 times typing a response.

If you put these titans and the ability to double jump into CoD4 you would get Titanfall.

I think the thing to be copied from this game (like sprint from GoW, xp from CoD, etc) will be the player movement. It's really, really, fun. I don't know if I would call it revolutionary, but it's awesome.

I don't see the AI or the mechs making the same impact. They work in the game, which is great fun, but usually a game influences the market in one or two ways and to me the standout is the player movement. It's quake meets tribes meets mirrors edge. It's fucking awesome.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
It definitely feels like Call of Duty. Which I mean in the most positive way possible, as most devs can't ever get that fast action feel precisely right like COD can.

I know it's mostly the same devs that made COD, but still, to start from scratch with a brand new engine and nail the gameplay feel of COD like that is really great.

Ryaaan14

Banned
I honestly don't know how to respond to this, I shrugged like 5 times typing a response.

If you put these titans and the ability to double jump into CoD4 you would get Titanfall.

My point was that the addition of those things makes it something entirely different. It's like saying Halo is Call of Duty with the addition of shields and space weapons.

My point was that the addition of those things makes it something entirely different. It's like saying Halo is Call of Duty with the addition of shields and space weapons.

Except Halo plays and feels completely different from CoD. Titanfall plays and feels exactly like CoD with the addition of mechs and parkour. The gunplay is identical.

I think the thing to be copied from this game (like sprint from GoW, xp from CoD, etc) will be the player movement. It's really, really, fun. I don't know if I would call it revolutionary, but it's awesome.

I don't see the AI or the mechs making the same impact. They work in the game, which is great fun, but usually a game influences the market in one or two ways and to me the standout is the player movement. It's quake meets tribes meets mirrors edge. It's fucking awesome.

I would think that depends on how certain mechanics of TF is recieved by the larger market. The way I would decipher the 3 differentiators of TF in a way that contributes to implementation is:

Movement - more verticality/range/speed in movement & level-design. No brainer here.

AI - whether or not the concept of adding creeps to FPSes to artificially make it easier for FPS noobs to get kills of their own appeals to them. Even if competitors don't introduce AI specifically, I can see FPSes adopting some way to basically increase the noob-friendiness of FPSes in some shape or form.

Mechs : Set-piece engines. After playing through TF, I still think the best thing about mechs is that they are the center-piece of 'awesome moments', which is the single biggest draw of TF so far, as in their existence allows for these 'awesome moments.' Stuff like this can technically be achieved through alternate ways... like a better implementation of Levelution, or even making Just Cause 2 into a FPS game.

Razma1

I hope this AI somehow isn't the final model of it. They just stand there and feed you titans fast... why not have some kind of items to pick up or something and manage it as a resource.

I do enjoy the combat tho reminds me of natural selection when you had a jetpack and a shotgun and were dodging all the crazy big aliens.

Shadownet

Banned
I know that the beta is barely even 25% of what the actual game will be like. But honestly, I'm feeling a lot better now that Titanfall isn't coming to PS4.

It seem like a great game, but I feel like it's going to be something I'll be bored with in a month or two. Maybe I'm just getting too old for all these twitchy finger FPS.

Can't wait till Final Fantasy XV and Infamous Second Son come out.

I'm fearing a sort of GTAV thing going on. Insane hype, intense satisfaction for most for about a month and then everyone realized it had no real depth and promised excitement (GTA Online) was mostly a mess. Does that mean GTAV was a bad game? Hell no. Earned my $60. It just didn't end up stopping time like oodles of people thought it would.

Titanfall is fun (and I say this as a very lousy FPS player playing on low PC settings managing to enjoy it) but I get the vibe that it's the type of game where you'd wake up one day and just say "yeah, I don't want to play this any more" with high attrition the same way Halo 4's online playerbase collapsed a few months after release. That's fine for a normal retail title and especially one you can trade in, but buying an XBO just for the thing feels like a gigantic stretch that I'm not sure that many can justify. Probably an easy buy for the mysteriously-delayed 360 version at $40-50.

The attach rate on XBOs is going to be massive and any positive sales numbers will be spun to death to look like they're because of this game, so we're basically stuck with the hype level no matter how real or fake it might feel at any given time. After all the bullshit we went through last year I have no idea what's real or fake or staged to be real or staged to be fake or paid to be real any more. So, right, I'll just stick with "looks pretty fun; will probably get 360 version at some point"... which is the smart money for most potential players. It'll sell millions on the XBO over the years and keep an insane attach rate for ages but I doubt it'll be "the" reason for the masses to take the $500+ jump. "A" reason among others? Sure.

DocSeuss

I liked Titanfall so much that I preordered it on GMG, after saying I probably wouldn't. Though now I'm sitting here thinking "yeah, but it doesn't have SP, and you really should buy new pants..."

Yeah, it's a game changer. Before, we had game design that seemed to be contemplating a reduction of player movement (like how Bulletstorm and Thief don't have jumping), or games that turned into giant, ridiculous balls of nonsense with a ton of time spent doing nothing.

It's the best mobility I've seen in a shooter in a while, and the way the Titans/creeps mix is great (too bad the AI is atrocious).

I'm fearing a sort of GTAV thing going on. Insane hype, intense satisfaction for most for about a month and then everyone realized it had no real depth and promised excitement (GTA Online) was mostly a mess. Does that mean GTAV was a bad game? Hell no. Earned my $60. It just didn't end up stopping time like oodles of people thought it would.

Except there's some real depth to Titanfall. My six-man crew annihilated anyone who got in our way. Once Teamwork is factored in, this game... yeah, the potential is crazy high.

Titanfall is fun (and I say this as a very lousy FPS player playing on low PC settings managing to enjoy it) but I get the vibe that it's the type of game where you'd wake up one day and just say "yeah, I don't want to play this any more" with high attrition the same way Halo 4's online playerbase collapsed a few months after release.

Uh, I wouldn't say it's like Halo 4. For me, it's going to be more like Bad Company 2, based on what I've played. I'll put a three-figure number into it, and then, yes, drop it. That's how everyone should deal with MP games; play 'em for a long time, then be done with 'em when something newer and more interesting comes along (hi, Evolve!).

Leb

I think the franchise has definite promise, and the things that are wrong with the game are not fundamental to the game itself. In the end, the player count is a huge problem, as people predicted it would be.

So, I can't possibly see how the game is a game changer yet, but perhaps when they iterate on the concept a few more times...

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
It's pretty fun. I don't know if it's revolutionary though. The mech combat is good, but not great. I don't know if the full game will have last-titan only mode maps that are a bit more open because the two that exist now feel too cramped for that mode as fun as it is.

Eusis

It's a fun game, but nothing particularly new or revolutionary. But I doubted it would be, that may take awhile to hit and could blindside us or at least the press.

Hyunickel

Neo Member
It's a really fun, innovative shooter, that combines multiple game styles into one game. But is it revolutionary? No, I don't think so. It's definitely a massive step in the right direction for sure though.

Bgamer90

Banned
It doesn't do anything really new or innovative but it's a blast to play. Combines many cool things from past shooters into one.

Remmy2112

It's not revolutionary, more like evolutionary. It dips back into the shooter gene pool to bring back a lot of the fast-paced mobility and agility of arena shooters and mix it with the ability to aim for more accurate fire. Unlike some other games I find I'm still pretty mobile while aiming and don't feel the need to do so unless my target is a decent distance away. Closer than that and it is a pretty good dance of death provided you have a shotgun, SMG, or AR, and even then you may end up being forced to draw your pistol or take advantage of the agility and bug out. The moment to moment decision making in this game is far more intense and fast-paced than Call of Duty, Battlefield, or almost any other shooter on the market currently.

Titans add a completely new layer to the above. I just had a good streak going in a game a few minutes ago until I jumped out into a street only to come face to face with a enemy titan and a player. At that moment I had to make a split second decision to either engage the player, kill it, then try to avoid the Titan or rodeo it or say "peace out!" on the entire situation and use my surroundings to make a hasty retreat. I went with immediate retreat and spent the next 15 seconds evading player and titan fire before escaping to a place where only the player could get me and he was too far behind to do so.

CraZed

Your analogies suck. Sorry but they just do.

The mechanics and the feel of the gameplay is strikingly reminiscent of CoD. Which is not surprising since the developers are also the devs responsible for the CoD franchise as well.

It most certainly is CoD with mechs and jet packs.

I think anyone who says otherwise is either fooling themselves or never played a CoD game in their life. Since I doubt many folks here have not played a CoD game I'd have to assume the former.

Eusis

Sounds like you haven't played. It's a very good-looking game, and it plays amazingly tight.
Well, technically it IS overhyped, as in "this is the Xbox One's killer app!" when it's essentially a good CoD with mechs. But I think anyone who paid enough attention to the game and didn't get themselves overly worked up knew that, and if you love this kind of game and don't have a reasonably modern computer it's enough of a killer app.

For better or worse, the one thing I don't think Titanfall can win over COD is the guns.

I dont know if these are the ONLY guns in the whole game, or how much massive differentiation we're going to see in gun classes, but the lack of recoil and low health really makes them feel one dimensional. I'm really worried that the gunplay took a backseat for the Titans. Guns aren't exactly full of personality and unique in COD, but they do manage to feel different enough. I can't really compare one AR to another in this beta, but it seems that the gunplay isn't up to par.

I'd actually really love Pilot-only, 6v6 modes. While the game emphasizes the action and flow of Titans and bots, I really think (provided the maps are solid), infantry-only combat can make for some more tightly, competitive modes.

6v6 Attrition, 6v6 SnD (I fully expect some sort of Defuse/Plant mode), 6v6 CTF...

Those are all classic modes that COD has over Titanfall, and IMO, Titanfall needs that mode variety.

I really hope they announce some unique modes. Last Titan Standing is nice, except for the fact that the game turns into a giant chokehold because of where you all initially spawn. The flow doesn't exist in that mode the same way it does naturally in Attrition/Hardpoint.

So yeah, modes and guns are lacking, and I hope the full game has enough of it.

Leb

I think it's also important to note that the one thing the game does best, the traversal, has still been done much better by, for instance, the Tribes games starting way back in 1998.

Really, when are we going to get a REAL Tribes game again?

Yoday

What I have seen of it makes it look like little more than CoD with double jumping, bots, and vehicles. Anyone who thinks this game is revolutionary is riding that hype train full speed ahead. The game has been getting far too much hype from the media.

DocSeuss

Sitting here, thinking about it, an analogy comes to mind.

Titanfall's like a new meal.

Sure, all the bits are there. You might have had an egg before. You might have had ham before. But Titanfall's like getting Eggs Benedict for the first time. It takes all these disparate elements and wraps 'em together in a new dish that's super tasty and really awesome. And sure, some people may say "meh" or "it's not for me," but well, hey, it's a new recipe using old ingredients.

And that's awesome.

What I have seen of it makes it look like little more than CoD with double jumping, bots, and vehicles. Anyone who thinks this game is revolutionary is riding that hype train full speed ahead. The game has been getting far too much hype from the media.

At what point is it not Call of Duty? Double jumping, bots, vehicles, wallrunning, hacking enemies, and the card system seems like a substantial change.

What makes Call of Duty Call of Duty?

Serious question.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Your analogies suck. Sorry but they just do.

The mechanics and the feel of the gameplay is strikingly reminiscent of CoD. Which is not surprising since the developers are also the devs responsible for the CoD franchise as well.

It most certainly is CoD with mechs and jet packs.

I think anyone who says otherwise is either fooling themselves or never played a CoD game in their life. Since I doubt many folks here have not played a CoD game I'd have to assume the former.

It does a disservice to how the mechanics collide to simply call it CoD with mechs. The parkour completely changes everything about how it's played. Chasing people on walls, mid air fighting, the verticality in both traversal and general map awareness on where players can be, etc. The shooting itself does feel like CoD, yeah, but if they made one called Future Warfare and showed it off like Titanfall was it would still get a reinvigorated burst of attention due to being a fresh and well needed evolution of the forumla.

CraZed

It does a disservice to how the mechanics collide to simply call it CoD with mechs. The parkour completely changes everything about how it's played. Chasing people on walls, mid air fighting, the verticality in both traversal and general map awareness on where players can be, etc. The shooting itself does feel like CoD, yeah, but if they made one called Future Warfare and showed it off like Titanfall was it would still get a reinvigorated burst of attention due to being a fresh and well needed evolution of the forumla.

Which is why I described it as CoD with mechs and jetpacks.

The game is fun. Don't get me wrong. But anyone who denies the CoD connection is just being disingenuous. The parkour (as well as jet packs and mechs) has been done in other FPS games but we wouldn't be saying Titanfall is Mirror's Edge or Brink with mechs and jet packs because the core mechanics are very dissimilar.

I have played several hours of Titanfall and the whole time I felt like I could have been playing CoD Future Warfare.

The game is genius from top to bottom. They figured out how to take everything that was stale and frustrating about COD and toss it in the dumpster. The creeps probably should be just a little more competent but it's a non-issue. They serve their purpose, and their purpose is not to meaningfully interfere with pilot on pilot combat.

I don't understand the people who complain about lack of single-player. This is a challenger to COD and Battlefield, games that provide 5 hour shooting galleries that you play zero to one times and then ignore while putting dozens to hundreds of hours into the multiplayer. Sure I wouldn't complain if they combined a single-player alongside the multiplayer, but it's refreshing that they just went ahead and ignored it to focus on the good stuff.

The evacuation mini-game is great too. Really cool way to take the sting out of losing.

Ok, so if you didn't like COD to begin with you might not like Titanfall. Well boohoo. Evolutionary, revolutionary... who cares? It's da bomb yo. It's going to sell like gangbusters, and Titanfall 2 is going to be on par with MW2 as far as hype and launch sales go. Microsoft was smart to lock this one up and they better be sending over Brink's trucks worth of doubloons over to Zampella's house to make sure Titanfall 2 keeps dat m-soft branding.

CraZed

The game is genius from top to bottom. They figured out how to take everything that was stale and frustrating about COD and toss it in the dumpster. The creeps probably should be just a little more competent but it's a non-issue. They serve their purpose, and their purpose is not to meaningfully interfere with pilot on pilot combat.

I don't understand the people who complain about lack of single-player. This is a challenger to COD and Battlefield, games that provide 5 hour shooting galleries that you play zero to one times and then ignore while putting dozens to hundreds of hours into the multiplayer. Sure I wouldn't complain if they combined a single-player alongside the multiplayer, but it's refreshing that they just went ahead and ignored it to focus on the good stuff.

The evacuation mini-game is great too. Really cool way to take the sting out of losing.

Ok, so if you didn't like COD to begin with you might not like Titanfall. Well boohoo. Evolutionary, revolutionary... who cares? It's da bomb yo. It's going to sell like gangbusters, and Titanfall 2 is going to be on par with MW2 as far as hype and launch sales go. Microsoft was smart to lock this one up and they better be sending over Brink's trucks worth of doubloons over to Zampella's house to make sure Titanfall 2 keeps dat m-soft branding.

It is a fun game, in small bites. The mechanics are tight like any CoD would be. I expect nothing less from a Zampella and West FPS. And yes there are some good ideas there. I too like the evacuation in Attrition. But overall the game is very much lacking in depth and challenge.

It feels like CoD combat training half the time IMHO.

As for MS locking up exclusivity long term I just don't see that happening. The amount of money they would have to pay for EA or Respawn to ignore the potential sales on the PS4 (which is outselling the XB1 quite handily over the last month or two) would be too much to bear and wouldn't be worth it for MS bottom line.

LowParry

I don't know why any of you would think that ignoring the the AI guys is best. They're like your creeps from DOTA/LoL. Plus they help you get your unlocks for weapons a lot quicker. Don't ignore them. Kill them on sight if you know there isn't a player near.

And no, this game is nothing like COD. It's much much faster to start. That alone is a game changer compared to COD.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
This game doesn't have killstreaks. Thankfully.

Which is why I described it as CoD with mechs and jetpacks.

The game is fun. Don't get me wrong. But anyone who denies the CoD connection is just being disingenuous. The parkour (as well as jet packs and mechs) has been done in other FPS games but we wouldn't be saying Titanfall is Mirror's Edge or Brink with mechs and jet packs because the core mechanics are very dissimilar.

I have played several hours of Titanfall and the whole time I felt like I could have been playing CoD Future Warfare.

Oh, I guess that's fair enough, then. Though from the perspective of someone who is completely burned out and done with CoD, Titanfall has felt like a breath of fresh air and I'm having way more fun with it than I have in MP for a long time.

jim2011

Yeah... like that would be representative of the general public...

This game is the bomb. I understand where some people come from about it also being on xbox 360 but I think they need to remember that those who want to upgrade to next gen (really current gen now) would take a game like Titanfall into consideration when deciding.

Based off my 5 hours of playing the beta, Titanfall is most definitely a killer app. I LOVE this game. This is coming from someone who rarely plays online games.

Edit:

Also, I loved Tribes (especially 2) as well but the movement/parkour is WAYYYYYY better here.

SandTorso

Played a few rounds of it, felt like the games were empty when it came to human controlled players. Only people I noticed were in titans, which was kind of a bummer. Bots are just cannon fodder.

I wasn't SUPER excited for it given my disdain for Call of Duty lately, but I still found my self a little disappointed.

jim2011

Played a few rounds of it, felt like the games were empty when it came to human controlled players. Only people I noticed were in titans, which was kind of a bummer. Bots are just cannon fodder.

I wasn't SUPER excited for it given my disdain for Call of Duty lately, but I still found my self a little disappointed.

Considering most people don't have titans for the first few minutes, I think you're not doing a good job of trying to find people. After that, yes there are definitely a lot of people in titans. However, I think rodeo'ing titans is crazy fun.

Edit:
Also, once you level up enough to get burn cards, you'll gain some that allow you to see where everyone is. That might alleviate some of your problems.

Top Bottom