• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall Gameplay Footage (Embargo Lifted)

Jack Frags, you are getting me excited for this game. The parkour elements look excellent with a keyboard/mouse combo.

I really like his stuff - how he actually analyzes the mechanics. Pro stuff.

Too bad he's having trouble finding a match at the moment.

derFeef

so-hot.gif

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
The titan vs titan gameplay looks really dumb and boring from these videos, and there still doesn't seem to be a good justification for making you spend half your time fighting minions instead of real people. And it still really does bother me how hard it is to tell a human apart from a bot. It should be obvious if it's a bot or human at a glance no matter the distance.

But the human v titan gameplay does seem fun at least and I still think the graphics look great, at least from an artistic standpoint if not a technical one.

Chobel

Personally I don't have a device capable of playing this game.

Much of this forum is obsessed by taking graphics as an individual element, not as a wider whole. The point of any game is to create an experience. An experience is defined by audio, visual and kinesthetics (mechanics). The kinesthetics alone can make a game enjoyable even if the audio and visual are weaker than average.

So people are likely to a) not care about graphics if a games kinesthetics are very appealing and b) may even "defend" the graphics if they believe that improved graphical performance may detrimentally affect the kinesthetics (ie not having as many NPCs, slower movement, narrower FOV).

I'm not defending the game as it's unlikely I'll be picking up a copy. Neither am I attacking it. I'm just offering a rational explanation for why people may feel the way they do about the level of graphical performance.

Fair point.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I hate to quote myself but can anyone pick up on this? The games coming out soon and I still have no idea what to expect from the campaign

At this point I'd expect nothing special from the campaign. If it was that big of a deal they would have shown it off by now.

KiraFA37

These streams are bad for my wallet, I suddenly need this game. Bad thing is that my PC is starting to show its age (GTX280).

mkenyon

Banned
No server browser on PC sucks. C'mon Respawn.
As someone who's been using server browsers since they were invented with things like Quake Spy, I couldn't disagree more.

Matchmaking is where it's at. You get to play with your friends in a more balanced situation, thanks to MMR/ELO ratings. Every game is a mini-scrim.

MechaZain

Banned
Graphics are on par with Halo 4.

Will we ever have a visual jaw-dropper from the Xbox One? Something like Gears was for the 360?

HariKari

Tuned into this Maximilian guy's stream for a bit. Holy shit at that chat. People really are salty about this game, for one reason or another.

Well, beyond the usual fanboy stuff, there are a lot of weird design decisions with this game. Completely locking down the source engine and taking out stuff like demos on PC? No server browser or private servers? Not going to announce how many maps there are?

As someone who's been using server browsers since they were invented with things like Quake Spy, I couldn't disagree more.

Matchmaking is where it's at. You get to play with your friends in a more balanced situation, thanks to MMR/ELO ratings. Every game is a mini-scrim.

You can have both.

chadskin

I get epileptic shocks (well, almost) every time I watch a couple of minutes of gameplay footage. Hope it's a little intense when you actually play it yourself.

mkenyon

Banned
You can have both.
Not really. Whenever you split your player base like that, the matchmaking system fails because it requires critical mass to work properly.

This is a big reason why Dota and LoL are so successful, and why a lot of my core group of friends that have been playing FPS's competitively since Quake 1 have taken those up as the default 'comp' game.

Well, beyond the usual fanboy stuff, there are a lot of weird design decisions with this game. Completely locking down the source engine and taking out stuff like demos on PC? No server browser or private servers? Not going to announce how many maps there are?

That type of discussion is fair enough and constructive, but the stuff I'm seeing on his chat is just ugly.

Graphics are on par with Halo 4.

Will we ever have a visual jaw-dropper from the Xbox One? Something like Gears was for the 360?
Gameplay opinions are mixed at best but by most accounts Ryse is pretty amazing looking. Quantum Break looks pretty amazing from what we've seen of it as well.

Nokterian

Not going to comment on gameplay until I've played it. I've said what I think I will think about it before, but a lot of people don't agree so I'll just wait with that.

But MAN this game is UGLY. Guys, aren't you seeing this? Hello? It's like the people that thinks this looks even remotely decent are looking at a completely different game. It looks so bad. The geometry is very basic and competely static, way behind let's say BF3. The lighting is one of the most basic lighting models I've seen in recent years in AAA games. Looks like straight up forward rendering a single directional light and a very high ambient light. The animations looks like something from COD before Ghosts, I means seriously look at this: http://youtu.be/3VV689PvZd4?t=3m.

Seeing all hardcore gamers and gamer fans in general praise this game, and even defending it's graphics, is truly baffeling to me.

Gameplay > graphics. Look gameplay is more important for me and graphics are more a nice thing to have. And from what i saw pc version looks nice enough. I just want good gameplay that will keep engaged. You want über graphics? Go to Battlefield 4 or wait for other bigger titles.

McLovin

Game looks like a lot of fun! Doesn't really scream next-gen but it does look impressive. I really want to see what the pc version looks like now.

Nerokis

Incredible. The attention to detail that pervades all the footage I've seen is something else. That's what I find most impressive, really: not so much the collection of additions and tweaks Titanfall brings to the core CoD formula, but how polished and well put together all those additions and tweaks seem to be. All the moving parts seem to interact with each other incredibly well, and the moment to moment gameplay has a potential for variety I don't see the typical CoD-esque FPS coming even close to matching.

This is not a game I ever expected to be particularly interested in, but Titanfall continues to surpass my expectations.

I am beginning to warm up to the art style a bit.

Regardless, the gameplay looks so damn addictive and from all impressions it seems to be very well balanced. My girlfriend works the overnight on Friday so hopefully I get a date with the beta.

Incredible. The attention to detail that pervades all the footage I've seen is something else. That's what I find most impressive, really: not so much the collection of additions and tweaks Titanfall brings to the core CoD formula, but how polished and well put together all those additions and tweaks seem to be. All the moving parts seem to interact with each other incredibly well, and the moment to moment gameplay has a potential for variety I don't see the typical CoD-esque FPS coming even close to matching.

This is not a game I ever expected to be particularly interested in, but Titanfall continues to surpass my expectations.

This is another CoD-esque fps.

TomShoe

Banned
Wonder if MS will release some kind of XBONE Titanfall bundle?

It seems likely, considering this is their biggest exclusive for quite awhile, if not for all of 2014. D4, Sunset Overdrive, and Quantum Break are all impressive in their own right, but I doubt many of them will have the same reach as Titanfall.

Top Bottom