• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall has gone gold!

Jito

Banned
Hyped to the max for this. Haven't been able to bring myself to load up BF4 since the beta ended. I need this now!

Awesome, really looking forward to this on PC and XB1 after the beta. I'm assuming they managed to iron out the framerate issues many people were experiencing. Really curious if there's any chance a XB1 day 1 patch hits that bumps it up to 900p. I'm not going to hold my breathe and would prefer they keep framerates high anyway, but it'd be nice. At any rate, can't wait to play it!

G_Berry

Banned
STANDBY FOR TITANFALL!

yQdACKG.png

https://twitter.com/Respawn/status/438867899847946241

E8tH37e.jpg
Dat sexy box art.

Jtrizzy

I don't know if they'll bump the res or not, but I'd bet money that there is a big day one patch that won't be part of the pre load. Just out of curiosity, can pre load this on the Bone?

derFeef

Congrats. It's a really fun game, but I am getting too slow for this type of game - I wish everyone good fun and hopefully the game is a success - they deserve it!

gizio

Congrats Respawn! I had a ton of fun with the beta on Xbox One, hopefully the minor issues have been ironed out in the retail version!

I don't know if they'll bump the res or not, but I'd bet money that there is a big day one patch that won't be part of the pre load. Just out of curiosity, can pre load this on the Bone?

As of now, no.

It seems like they're working on it because a Titanfall pre-load page did popup on Xbox.com for a day. It may not be ready in time for the game though, but I imagine it should be coming in the spring sometime for future titles. Just guessing though.

GlamFM

Banned
Hope they managed to get rid of the tearing and fixed the framerate. Was all over the place in the Beta.
Will only buy if the performance is significantly better in the final release.

DF to the rescue.

Hope they managed to get rid of the tearing and fixed the framerate. Was all over the place in the Beta.
Will only buy if the performance is significantly better in the final release.

DF to the rescue.

Would be nice if they managed to make it even better for the final game, but I didn't have a major problem with it in the Beta as is. I thought it performed pretty well, only dipping in more chaotic moments, but even then it didn't really strike me as detracting too much from what was otherwise an extremely fun gaming experience. I'm going off of a limited set of games since I played it at my friend's, but I feel I got a pretty accurate feel for the game in my time with it.

But, again, whatever improvements they can manage to make are most certainly welcome. That'd just be the icing on the cake.

magnifico

Forgive my ignorance but can anyone tell me why we use the term "gone gold" to mean that the master is complete in the gaming industry and when did we start using that term? Seems more recent. I think a lot of confusion would be cleared up among the majority of people if that term meant the same as it does in the record industry and be related to sales of the game instead.

GlamFM

Banned
Forgive my ignorance but can anyone tell me why we use the term "gone gold" to mean that the master is complete in the gaming industry and when did we start using that term? Seems more recent. I think a lot of confusion would be cleared up among the majority of people if that term meant the same as it does in the record industry and be related to sales of the game instead.

It's actually been around for quite a while.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG

don't know how accurate this is, seeing as though it's urban dictionary:

"A game has "Gone Gold" when the final master copy has been produced at the developer and sent off for replication, packaging and shipment. The game is not yet released, but it will typically be around 2-3 weeks (sometimes less) before it begins appearing on store shelves and online pre-orders arriving at doorsteps. The term itself comes from the old practice of recordable CDs being manufactured with gold film. Hence the gold colored CD actually being the source, with no reference to copies sold as in the recording industry."

magnifico

It's actually been around for quite a while.

Hmm I'm almost 31, have been gaming since I was little and have only noticed it in the last few weeks haha. I always assumed it was related to sales until I realized these games aren't even out yet. I think it's misleading as a news headline for most glancing casuals since I am sure most think it means the game already sold over 500k copies.

aristotle

Hmm I'm almost 31, have been gaming since I was little and have only noticed it in the last few weeks haha. I always assumed it was related to sales until I realized these games aren't even out yet. I think it's misleading as a news headline for most glancing casuals since I am sure most think it means the game already sold over 500k copies.

From what I recall, the "gone gold" is from the CD days. The master cd/game was printed on a gold cd for the master. That copy was put into the system and from there they copied it to the regular cd/dvds/blurays we all know and love.

I actually can't believe you haven't heard of it before :p

GlamFM

Banned

I honestly don´t think this is the case - it has been around for a really long time, I´m talking decades here.

EDIT:

Definition: When a game is said to have "gone gold," it means that the code has been finalized and is ready to be duplicated for distribution. The term goes back to the days when recordable CDs were manufactured using gold film, leading the source CD to be called the "golden master." Unlike the music industry, it is not a reference to the number of copies sold. It will typically take several weeks for a game to ship to stores and become available to consumers after it has gone gold.

DECADES!

:p

magnifico

From what I recall, the "gone gold" is from the CD days. The master cd/game was printed on a gold cd for the master. That copy was put into the system and from there they copied it to the regular cd/dvds/blurays we all know and love.

I actually can't believe you haven't heard of it before :p

Weird. Like I said, I always equated going gold with RIAA-certified Gold record, Platinum record etc... recording industry usage. So maybe whenever I heard or saw the term I automatically assumed it meant it was hitting sales milestones and never even bothered to look into it any deeper :)

Stimpack

Surprised it took that long, really. Looks pretty fun, but it's one of those games I couldn't play for longer than a week without getting tired of the rinse & repeat. I realize I'm in the minority here.

D

Deleted member 286591

Unconfirmed Member
I'm so ready for this shit. Titanfall + Dark Souls II is like the best combo for march. Got dayumz.

Hoping to have a nice surprise for the final game with a bit more graphical bling than the beta, but that's still secondary to how fun it is. Can't wait to discover the other maps too.

p3tran

Banned
Is this real life?

Been a long four years. :D
Hey Drew!! Congrats again! to you and everybody in the team 8)
and for when you need some quality relax time, remember my pm

haha these things remind me of how much of an old-ass gamer I have become.
I dont know what kind of game (or whatever thing) it would take now for me to ..compose and sing a song? :D
and this with titanfall being easily my most anticipated release...
still, I enjoyed and laughed too :D

BRING ME THE TITANS!!

Ubersnug

Well following the tweets that resulted in Vince's response, the possibility of 1080P is post launch with patches to incorporate the SDK updates and the released resources that was once held in reserve.

GlamFM

Banned
Well following the tweets that resulted in Vince's response, the possibility of 1080P is post launch with patches to incorporate the SDK updates and the released resources that was once held in reserve.

Framerate and tearing should really be the first priority.

Skeff

2 weeks before the release? Has this happened before?

It hasn't just gone gold, it has a sealed box, with what I would assume to be a pressed copy, so it has gone gold been sent to MS, met Requirements checklist and been pressed/Packaged/sealed and sent to Respawn.

Top Bottom