• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Clancys Splinter Cell Classic Trilogy HD for PS3 confirmed (xbox 1 screens)

wwm0nkey said:
So how is the PC version of Chaos Theory?

Really good - it supports 360 controller natively even. (although I've heard the PC controls using mousewheel for walk speed are superior)

Looks very sharp, I had it for a while.

wwm0nkey

SonOfABeep said:
Really good - it supports 360 controller natively even. (although I've heard the PC controls using mousewheel for walk speed are superior)

Looks very sharp, I had it for a while.
How active are people online?

wwm0nkey said:
How active are people online?

No idea. it was a few years ago when I had it. Never was much for SS multiplayer mostly cause I just get destroyed and never got a chance to really learn the game.

Man said:
Game stealth.
Would fail horribly in real life.
That's the thing that's always bothered me the most about splinter cell games. So horrible. Stupid stealth system with binary, borderline broken AI. Awesome set pieces, though. It's the Modern Warfare of stealth games.

Cruzader

Banned
Game will not have online. You think for $40 for the 3 titles, they would put servers back up? No.

This is a quick cash in. PR talks about "HD" and "3D" with no mention of the 'return of "Spy vs Merc" Online mode'. Pretty obvious. Trust me, online was an integral part of SC2/3 and for them to not mention it is bad.

Zenith said:
Already HD on the PC.

Except for the 2nd one. That looked worse than the first. Terrible port.

Maybe there's something wrong with your PC, it looks good on mine. And in my humble opinion, it's a better game. Yeah, I know I'm pretty much alone in that, but I enjoyed it more, and I never even touched the multiplayer.

Chaos Theory is the best of the three, of course.

Grisby

If they run well and look decent, I'll buy. While online would be great I doubt that Ubi would include it.

Oh man, I might do a SC marathon when these come out. These games followed by Double Agent and Conviction.

Grisby

mello said:
Never played any SC game, are they really worth getting into?

The SC games are pretty much the pinnacle of stealth gaming for me. The stories might not be that great but the games are well acted and Sam's a pretty good main character. Oh, and the gameplay is very fun, much more so in Chaos Theory were you have options out the ass.

And they look great, with fantastic shadows and level settings.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Will wait for GAF to tell me if it's shit or not bwfore buying. Please be reworked xbox/Pc code.

Barrett2

Whoa, 3D support? That's awesome. Day one purchase for me. I loved these games, and thought the Sly Collection was nicely done in 3D. 3rd person character action games mix well with 3D, IMO.

I love Sony's support of 3D gaming. Helps people like me justify the purchase. Haha.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I assume these are the inferior PS2 versions?

I won't buy that. I would by the better Xbox/PC versions in HD at a high price.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
It's ubisoft, I'm not expecting much. I would have bought it if they were 1st party port quality (GOW, Sly, etc).

Danielsan

mello said:
Some people really like them, I am not one of those people. I only played and finished the first and I only finished it because I made myself. Did not have fun at all.

An-Det

I'll wait and see on these. If they do a good job I'll pick it up, but judging by the PoP collection I'm skeptical.

mello said:
I've only played 1, 3, 4 (Original Xbox version), and Conviction. Whatever you do, AVOID CONVICTION and the PC/PS3/X360 version of Double Agent AT ALL COSTS. If you like stealth games that have a lot of options for experimentation in their gameplay, then the SC games should be well up your alley. I love settings traps and performing non-lethal kills in them.

mello

Danielsan said:
Some people really like them, I am not one of those people. I only played and finished the first and I only finished it because I made myself. Did not have fun at all.

What exactly didn't you enjoy about it? Personally I don't mind giving the series a go so long as the gameplay and maps are really good. I'm a huge fan of the MGS series largely due to how the devs have captured the nature of stealth.

Cruzader said:
Game will not have online. You think for $40 for the 3 titles, they would put servers back up? No.

This is a quick cash in. PR talks about "HD" and "3D" with no mention of the 'return of "Spy vs Merc" Online mode'. Pretty obvious. Trust me, online was an integral part of SC2/3 and for them to not mention it is bad.

This is depressing.

The less I see of this as we near release the more suspicious I'm getting. I'll wait till some unfortunate souls buy it and see what the hell Ubisoft did with these games. Note to Ubisoft: make the ports good or dont bother. The FUD that comes with not giving out any details kills the chances this thing has at a decent retail release, good ports or not.

Evolved1

One thing you can count on is an ugly-ass cover...

Evolved1

mclaren777 said:
If this is based on the Xbox version I will definitely buy it for the first game (and possibly Chaos Theory).

I don't think they could do that... even if they wanted to... and UBI isn't exactly blazing a trail of awesome on these remakes like other developers.

They just aren't doing it right. So I wouldn't expect something like that from them even if they could use the superior version. Which they probably can't anyway...

played and beat pt 1 on pc, pt 2 kinda sucked, skipped CT, and the latest one was a floating turd. Might get it depending on reviews, BUT I WANT MY METAL GEAR!

Jigsaw

Banned
recklessmind said:
I assume these are the inferior PS2 versions?

I won't buy that. I would by the better Xbox/PC versions in HD at a high price.

what makes you think that?because it's easier to emulate ps2 code on ps3 than simply port the pc code?

Evolved1

Jigsaw said:
what makes you think that?because it's easier to emulate ps2 code on ps3 than simply port the pc code?

One assumption is licensing issues... but I really don't know what I'm talking about it as far as all that.

More than anything I'm looking at what they did with the new HD PoP games: they used the PS3 versions.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Totally missed out on these in the Xbox generation. How does the gameplay hold up these days? I loved Conviction even though I understand it's very different and generally disliked within the SC crowd.

Jigsaw

Banned
recklessmind said:
More than anything I'm looking at what they did with the new HD PoP games: they used the PS3 versions.

ps2 versions you mean?and no they didn't,they look like the pc versions (which were already ports of the ps2 versions)

RedSwirl

Chittagong said:
Totally missed out on these in the Xbox generation. How does the gameplay hold up these days? I loved Conviction even though I understand it's very different and generally disliked within the SC crowd.

Chaos Theory is miles ahead and any "stealth" game released for current consoles. Still possibly the greatest stealth game ever. The first one also holds up but is pretty linear.

If this has online, day one. If not, I'll stick with my PC copy of CT.

Evolved1

Jigsaw said:
ps2 versions you mean?and no they didn't,they look like the pc versions (which were already ports of the ps2 versions)

I meant PS2, yes.

I read they were the PS2 versions. Haven't played them myself due to already having massive backlog and reports that the games are buggy as shit. I'll try and dig up my source, but I recall reading these were pretty vanilla "HD" PS2 ports.

Grisby

Chittagong said:

The original games are very different and yes, they still hold up. Its all about the stealth and the slow pace of the game. However, in most cases if you decide to go loud you have a good number of options at your disposal.

And the levels are very inventive for you to play around in. Oooh god I loved the Hokkaido level from Chaos Theory, still one of the best experiences I had on the original Xbox.

By the way, I loved Conviction too. After three games in the same style, well 4, I was ready for something different. Gets too much hate on here, IMO.

Evolved1

Grisby said:
The original games are very different and yes, they still hold up. Its all about the stealth and the slow pace of the game. However, in most cases if you decide to go loud you have a good number of options at your disposal.

And the levels are very inventive for you to play around in. Oooh god I loved the Hokkaido level from Chaos Theory, still one of the best experiences I had on the original Xbox.

By the way, I loved Conviction too. After three games in the same style, well 4, I was ready for something different. Gets too much hate on here, IMO.

That black and white co-op shit can never get enough hate...

As for the guy asking about the original games... they are amazing. One of my favorite series. SC:CT one of the best games ever made. And the one that holds up the best... so don't play it first!

Evolved1

Top Bottom