• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Clancys Splinter Cell Classic Trilogy HD for PS3 confirmed (xbox 1 screens)

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
bdizzle said:
Do we have to have a bunch of people in every single one of these threads saying "get it on PC, it's better!"
Yup, zealots of every flavor need to butt their annoying head in everywhere!

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
iceatcs said:
I believe all the "On Demand" xbox1 titles were conversed by MS.
Ideally, MS should put the conversion tool in the devkit for outside developers, maybe they don't want do with it.

Has Halo 2 been fixed to remove all the ghosting issues/UI persistence glitches yet btw?

Stallion Free said:
Ah dualcore. I skipped over that and I think I managed to skip quite a few issues similar to the one you listed because of that.
I'm playing SC1 with a dual-core and having no problems. It looks fantastic for a 2002 game.

Ledsen said:
It's very regrettable that they removed some crucial features from CT like side objectives and moving bodies (especially that one), yes. I also agree that the single player campaign isn't anything special and the levels are way too linear. However, the co-op is pretty brilliant. The levels are less linear (although nothing approaching, say, the japanese bath house), and on Realistic you won't stand a chance if you run and gun. The moment-to-moment stealth gameplay in the co-op missions is extremely similar to CT, and I feel similarly badass when me and me buddy pull of some ridiculously awesome-looking stunt involving gadgets, door-breaching, dual execute and a good dose of stealth. I find the mark and execute mechanic to fit seamlessly into the stealth gameplay, since it makes you feel like a skilled agent without being overpowered, thanks to the fact that it's not always that easy getting a hand-to-hand-kill in co-op realistic.

I disagree with you about the controls. The layout is pretty wonky, but compared to CT, tha animations are smoother and traversal is easier. I seldom find myself blaming the controls for a mistake I make.
That's the problem with the direction that Splinter Cell has taken. It was never about being a badass and clearing rooms. Splinter Cell shouldn't be Rainbow Six. It's about being as stealthy as possible and achieving your objectives, without being seen. Unfortunately that's not enough for Ubi and most bro gamers.

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
You could and it probably would (it's a bit annoying having to manually disable additional CPU cores every time you run the first game, though), but some people might prefer playing them on a console.

It's as simple as: installing RadeonPro > setting up a Splinter Cell profile with CPU affinity set to single core > playing the game.

bdizzle said:
Do we have to have a bunch of people in every single one of these threads saying "get it on PC, it's better!"

Because it's better and cheaper? It's like if someone told me they were interested in Bayonetta, i'd say get it on 360 because that's the console to play it on. We're only looking out for the graphics savvy consumer here.

Darkshier said:
That's the problem with the direction that Splinter Cell has taken. It was never about being a badass and clearing rooms. Splinter Cell shouldn't be Rainbow Six. It's about being as stealthy as possible and achieving your objectives, without being seen. Unfortunately that's not enough for Ubi and most bro gamers.
I agree whole heatedly. Call me an elitist, but those who highly enjoy the last two SC games are what's killing games (not single handedly of course). Yes, I know, rag on me all you want, but DA and C both killed off the franchise in terms of what it was. A stealth game.

My favorite SC games are CT and DA for PS2/Xbox. I absolutely love them.

Ledsen

Darkshier said:

Splinter Cell has always been about being a badass. It's not Rainbow Six. If you're not stealthy on realistic, you're dead. We've had to restart many, many times simply because we were seen. Again, it's very much like Chaos Theory, and I'm not a "bro gamer", thank you very much.

phosphor112 said:
I agree whole heatedly. Call me an elitist, but those who highly enjoy the last two SC games are what's killing games (not single handedly of course). Yes, I know, rag on me all you want, but DA and C both killed off the franchise in terms of what it was. A stealth game.

My favorite SC games are CT and DA for PS2/Xbox. I absolutely love them.

Jesus Christ... did you even play deniable ops/co-op on realistic?

tzare

made my preorder at zavvi, so less that 30€ seems a good deal for me.I had a blast with those games on xbox in the past , i hope to repeat the experience again.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Ledsen said:
Jesus Christ... did you even play deniable ops/co-op on realistic?
<3 I still haven't gotten my friends to reinstall Conviction for co-op, but the deniable ops maps on realistic are absolutely incredible.

Keikoku

Banned
ULTROS! said:
Actually...

2u4pvmu.jpg

2wd7in4.jpg

Saw this in the ESRB site.

But Kagari said "it's not going to happen :lol: ".

I NEED SCISSORS said:
It's as simple as: installing RadeonPro > setting up a Splinter Cell profile with CPU affinity set to single core > playing the game.

Or an NVIDIA equivalent because I don't have an ATI card. But like I said, it was just a slight annoyance (although having to deal with it in the first place was still stressful), I finished the game in a few sittings anyway. Rest easily, the dignity of the PC master platform is not in danger.

Because it's better and cheaper?

It's been said already and I'm sure most people were well aware of that in the first place so how about we drop it now? Everyone has their own reasons for choosing one version over the others and at this point, trying to convince them they're wrong is not helpful, just majorly annoying.

Afrikan

SuperÑ said:
f11Yw.jpg

This is not the final boxart, right?

what does it say on the blue section on the two cases on the right?

also it says PlayStation Network on the top right...so maybe just trophies? or online gaming.

and as expected, it seems these are PS2 ports, not the Xbox ports.

jett

D-Member
I understand to need to show off the fact that you're getting a deal on three games, but at least make reversible and alternate covers mandatory for fuck's sake.

Afrikan said:
what does it say on the blue section on the two cases on the right?
PAL games with online gameplay had that blue banner on their cases to let you know, like how dreamcast online games had a blue bar saying "online functions/play" and the xbox 1 boxes had the orange "LIVE" banners along the top.

Afrikan

Diablohead said:
PAL games with online gameplay had that blue banner on their cases to let you know, like how dreamcast online games had a blue bar saying "online functions/play" and the xbox 1 boxes had the orange "LIVE" banners along the top.

so that would mean there is online play right? co-op and all. If so, then I'm VERY happy to see that. My interest has risen again.

smik

all i want from Ubisoft are Ghost Recon/2/Summit Strike HD trilogy with online enabled, if the rumors are true.

928568_67718.jpg
920228.jpg
gr_box.jpg

make this happen.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Grisby said:
So...having only played the Xbox SC's were the PS2 ones terribly inferior?

Not even close... CT on Xbox looked better than most 360 launch games.

CT on PS2 looked like a PS2 game.

smik said:
all i want from Ubisoft are Ghost Recon/2/Summit Strike HD trilogy with online enabled, if the rumors are true.

928568_67718.jpg
920228.jpg
gr_box.jpg

make this happen.

But you'd get the PS2 versions... which were utter crap and not even the same games. Fuck I don't think there even were PS2 versions of GR2/SS.

smik

Ubisoft own's the code and assets for their own game, why would they use the inferior assets?

is there a legal issue with microsoft to sony conversion?

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
smik said:
Ubisoft own's the code and assets for their own game, why would they use the inferior assets?

I think so... but earlier in the thread other members argued it wasn't.

smik said:

It's more of a - Sony made it easier for developers to get PS2 games running on PS3 with a custom tuned emulator - issue, than a legal one.

At least that's my take on it. The PC versions have no licensing attached to them, so re-using those assets and porting that version to the PS3 shouldn't be a legal issue of any kind. Maybe there is a technical reason or a complication with royalties. It's just seems more likely that Ubisoft put a rush job on this to try and help Sony build their HD Collection brand on the runup to Ico/SoC and any other collections that might get announced in the near future.

God of War, Ico/SoC and the Sly collection all seem to be getting a considerable amount of love. I don't get the impression that Prince of Persia collection or this one, are getting that same level of attention from Ubisoft's port team.

smik

Dead Man Typing said:
It's more of a - Sony made it easier for developers to get PS2 games running on PS3 with a custom tuned emulator - issue, than a legal one.

At least that's my take on it. The PC versions have no licensing attached to them, so re-using those assets and porting that version to the PS3 shouldn't be a legal issue of any kind. Maybe there is a technical reason or a complication with royalties. It's just seems more likely that Ubisoft put a rush job on this to try and help Sony build their HD Collection brand on the runup to Ico/SoC and any other collections that might get announced in the near future.

God of War, Ico/SoC and the Sly collection all seem to be getting a considerable amount of love. I don't get the impression that Prince of Persia collection or this one, are getting that same level of attention from Ubisoft's port team.

thanks for the clarification.

they should at least make an effort to get the best possible version out their, PS2 Tom clancy Titles all got shafted compared to the original Xbox releases.

mabey Microsoft should get their money hat on and propose a deal (GHost Recon Rainbow Six, SC HD boxset editions)

hoping for the best.

Dead Man Typing said:

My fear is that any game not made by Sony is gonna be a big bowl of shit.

Cruzader

Banned
Afrikan said:
so that would mean there is online play right? co-op and all. If so, then I'm VERY happy to see that. My interest has risen again.
I think you are fooling yourself. They basically are just using the Original PS2 box arts pasted on the PS3 cover....so anything on the original box arts, feature wise, is seen. But that doesn't mean these "hd" ports are getting full on online modes.

99% that this collection won't offer online for any if the games. Again, why put resources into online servers to these games that will mostlikely bomb and are selling for $40?

You have to think realistically. Like I said, if online on these games was coming back(reviving severs for this specific collection) then Ubi would of atleast mentioned "competitive gaming" and/or "the return of Spy vs Mercs" on their PR.

PS: the PSN logo on the top right means trophy support. It's not a hint of anything relating to online play.

RedSwirl

Ledsen said:
Splinter Cell has always been about being a badass. It's not Rainbow Six. If you're not stealthy on realistic, you're dead. We've had to restart many, many times simply because we were seen. Again, it's very much like Chaos Theory, and I'm not a "bro gamer", thank you very much.

All admit that in the end, Conviction wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. It's like a younger brother to Chaos Theory. You could play it all-stealth if you wanted to, but my main problem was that the level design wasn't nearly as open-ended. Chaos Theory is still the best Splinter Cell game because it gave you the most options.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
bdizzle said:
My fear is that any game not made by Sony is gonna be a big bowl of shit.

Certainly looks that way.

The effort put into Sony's own HD ports is great. Even Ico is getting updated textures. That's not to say third parties should put the same amount of effort into their ports, but it really isn't too much to ask that said ports are borne from the superior version of the games.

Afrikan

Cruzader said:
I think you are fooling yourself. They basically are just using the Original PS2 box arts pasted on the PS3 cover....so anything on the original box arts, feature wise, is seen. But that doesn't mean these "hd" ports are getting full on online modes.

99% that this collection won't offer online for any if the games. Again, why put resources into online servers to these games that will mostlikely bomb and are selling for $40?

You have to think realistically. Like I said, if online on these games was coming back(reviving severs for this specific collection) then Ubi would of atleast mentioned "competitive gaming" and/or "the return of Spy vs Mercs" on their PR.

PS: the PSN logo on the top right means trophy support. It's not a hint of anything relating to online play.

no, I took all that into consideration....and was expecting it NOT to have online gameplay...but I just presumed that they would at least some how edit out the online gameplay wording for those PS2 versions....just for the sake of not misleading people.

You bring shame to this industry, Ubisoft. Seek atonement by announcing a new PC Rainbow Six game in the style of the PC version of Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield.

Snaku

Banned
So this is like the polar opposite of Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition? Take the worst assets, make zero improvements to gameplay, profit?

Top Bottom