• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Clancys Splinter Cell Classic Trilogy HD for PS3 confirmed (xbox 1 screens)

recklessmind said:
OK... honestly dude I don't know. Is there any reason to assume they are PC ports though? Seems like assuming they're PC ports is on the wrong side of Occam's razor.

Unless I'm missing something.

Considering the architecture of the systems, it would be easier to port the Xbox/PC version than port the PS2 version.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Kibbles said:
What about 360? =(
500px-Blu-ray_Disc.svg.png

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
ChoklitReign said:
The first PC Splinter Cell is only 1.2 gigs. How could they feasibly add up over 7GB? (DVD size)

Yeah, but you need the game to run of a disc w/o installation on the 360, so file sizes would be larger, presumably.

EDIT: A check of the ROM size of Pandora tomorrow for the xbox is approx. 4.7 gigs (I am actually looking at the size of the torrent file after doing a google search.

@$40.00 each this is actually a really great deal, IMO. missed out on both these trilogies first time around. if only my backlog wasnt so ridiculous atm *sigh*

Poohblaster said:
Chaos Theory is one of the best stealth games ever made. I had regrets selling it away, so I bought it again on the Xbox. The online / splitscreen coop blew my mind, because of how much fun it was. You could yell into the Xbox headset or speak too loudly causing nearby guards would become alerted.

The other thing I remember was how excellent the music in Chaos Theory was.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gbs5k90Y4Xo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adh99_Q735w&feature=related

Just like many other Amon Tobin albums, the Chaos Theory album was added to my list shortly after it's release.

Pikelet

Meh, Chaos Theory still wont look anywhere near as good as it does on the pc version with 4xSSAA @1080p/60fps that i bought for 5 bucks on the sale a while ago.

It's still a great game though, if a little bit fiddly/broken. The default controls with the 360 controller aren't very intuitive either.

I will definitally pick up the splinter cell games since I missed those the first time around. But POP will depend on reviews, I really hope the fix that shit and don't just bring over the terrible ports they put out in europe.

iceatcs said:
Beside the blu-ray.
I think it's also because Sony have PS2 framework on the devkit to make it easy to port on PS3.
Doesn't make sense since Microsoft has shit loads of "On Demand" ports of the old xbox titles, and Chaos Theory is already up in XBLA.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
shagg_187 said:
Doesn't make sense since Microsoft has shit loads of "On Demand" ports of the old xbox titles, and Chaos Theory is already up in XBLA.

There are the tools for these conversions in the latest SDK, iirc. Otherwise, several developers have gotten the tools from Sony for them.

iceatcs

shagg_187 said:
I believe all the "On Demand" xbox1 titles were conversed by MS.
Ideally, MS should put the conversion tool in the devkit for outside developers, maybe they don't want do with it.

onken

Hell yeah, loved the first game, bought the second, left it for ages, went to install it and one of the (4!!) discs was missing. Yeah think I'll be buying this.

I have been cautiously optimistic about this collection since it was first rumored. I only beat the first game and didn't really get to play the sequels. If the ports are not complete shit, I will probably get this. I might wait until it goes down to $30 though. I'm planning on getting a 3DS after all...

Oh, and I don't expect them to put online in at all. Although I'd love to get to try the multiplayer that so many people loved, I don't believe Ubisoft will be that cool.

shagg_187 said:
Note to everyone: BUY THE SHIT OUT OF THIS SET! You will be the one to blame when they finally announce the next Splinter Cell and it's 360 exclusive! :p
The next Splinter Cell will be garbage just like the last two were. Buying this set won't change that and it won't bring back Spies vs Mercs either.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
shagg_187 said:
Note to everyone: BUY THE SHIT OUT OF THIS SET! You will be the one to blame when they finally announce the next Splinter Cell and it's 360 exclusive! :p
Why pay 40$ for an upscale port with trophies added in, when you can get all 3 on PC for less than 1/4 the cost. I doubt servers are going to go up either.

2nd, Do you really want the next SC after the direction they took it in? It's more generic shooter than Stealth.

3rd, it's Ubisoft. PoP trilogy.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Ubi is sure failing hard. Why don't they port games that didn't have a PC release? I mean Prince of Persia didn't even have proper widescreen in the HD port, it was Vert-. PC Splinter Cell actually had noticeably better textures than all of the PS2 releases so you better hope they got wise and use those assets.

I might pick it up anyways if SC1 includes the PS2 exclusive mission.

Man, I have such good memories of the first game, I will definitely be picking up this pack. I owned the second but never got very far in it for some reason. Never played the third (apparently the best of the series?)

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Kibbles said:
What about 360? =(

Actually...

2u4pvmu.jpg

2wd7in4.jpg

Saw this in the ESRB site.

Ledsen

I've only played 1, 3, 4 (Original Xbox version), and Conviction. Whatever you do, AVOID CONVICTION and the PC/PS3/X360 version of Double Agent AT ALL COSTS. If you like stealth games that have a lot of options for experimentation in their gameplay, then the SC games should be well up your alley. I love settings traps and performing non-lethal kills in them.

Conviction is an amazing game. The single player isn't anything special (some levels are pretty horrible) but the co-op is incredibly addicting and it really shows how good the gameplay is. They removed a lot of options since Chaos Theory, but what's there is so smooth and controls are amazing. Every Splinter Cell fan owes it to themselves to play the co-op, it's definitely a worthy successor to CT.

Pooya

Ledsen said:
Conviction is an amazing game. The single player isn't anything special (some levels are pretty horrible) but the co-op is incredibly addicting and it really shows how good the gameplay is. They removed a lot of options since Chaos Theory, but what's there is so smooth and controls are amazing. Every Splinter Cell fan owes it to themselves to play the co-op, it's definitely a worthy successor to CT.
Default controls in Conviction were terrible actually. Sam's movement feels floaty and 'unattached' when using left stick, hard to explain but it's not like your average 3rd person controls or any of the old games. Holding left trigger to stay in cover is stupid, it was present in R6 Vegas and unsurprisingly made it into this this game too after 4 years. aiming is strange too, it's very very easy to go for headshots, I'm not sure if it's the auto aim system that does this but overall it's very easy. There isn't anything special about the controls. Older games had tons of functions mapped to pretty much every single button on the controller and even then some buttons had context sensitive and multi functions and it worked really well, you couldn't run and gun because the game wasn't design for that. The said improvements in Conviction allows/encourages you to play it like a shooter, even level design is intended for a shooter, this is not exactly improvement over the previous games, it's just something different.

They didn't remove lots of options, they removed all of it, there is just one single linear path like SC1 and SC2, the sandbox like design of SCCT where you could backtrack and finish some objectives in whatever order or however you want is gone. The developers admitted it in the post mortem printed in December issue of Game Developer Magazine that they didn't have time for some reason to implement options like picking locks, moving bodies etc from the older games and were regretting it, you can expect they will bring some of the old features in future games but going by what they've said the base is going to be similar. pretty much none of the original team members behind SC game are working on this series, they are either not with Ubisoft anymore or moved to other things. Beland says that they took over after Ubi wasn't happy with the initial SCC concept some time in 2008, the game was in development for less than 2 years.

Foffy

Banned
Does this include the free DLC content for the first game? It added a few new levels to the Xbox version that are crucial to the plot (lol).

Xater

shagg_187 said:

No I won't This Ubisoft so this will most likely be crap anyway, just like the POP collection. Especially when these are the PS2 versions. I also already played all these games on the Xbox/PC. Also the Splinter Cell franchise is down the shitter so I don't really care.

Ratrat said:
even if you've never played them?

The PS2 versions were terrible. If you have a half decent PC buy them for that instead. Hell these games are old so if you have a PC that was released after these games you should be fine.

Xater

_Alkaline_ said:
I have no hesitation in saying that Chaos Theory is one of the best game of last generation.

I can see that argument being made. Definitely the best of the whole series.

Xater said:
I can see that argument being made. Definitely the best of the whole series.

When I think back to my favourite games of last gen, I think of Metroid Prime/Metroid Prime 2, Twilight Princess, ICO, F-Zero GX, Beyond Good and Evil, Sands of Time, Okami, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Pikmin...looking at those games, Chaos Theory doesn't really fit at all with my usual tastes.

Chaos Theory blew my mind. Everyone knows how good it looked - and still looks - but that's only a small part of it. The various ways to approach each and every encounter, the varied environments, atmosphere that you could cut with a knife, superb Tobin soundtrack...fantastic game.

I've only played 1, 3, 4 (Original Xbox version), and Conviction. Whatever you do, AVOID CONVICTION and the PC/PS3/X360 version of Double Agent AT ALL COSTS.

Don't avoid them, they're fine games in their own right, just different. In fact, if you don't warm up to the first trilogy, you might still enjoy the last two titles.

I NEED SCISSORS said:
I bet you could buy this complete collection on PC for under $10 and it would be better.

You could and it probably would (it's a bit annoying having to manually disable additional CPU cores every time you run the first game, though), but some people might prefer playing them on a console.

Fox318 said:
You would have to find an HD texture pack.

They were "HD" to begin with. By the way, you think these will be remastered in any meaningful way?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
REMEMBER CITADEL said:
You could and it probably would (it's a bit annoying having to manually disable additional CPU cores every time you run the first game, though), but some people might prefer playing them on a console.
I have played SC1 on a quadcore just fine without disabling any cores. I don't think you need to do that.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Kagari said:
There are the tools for these conversions in the latest SDK, iirc. Otherwise, several developers have gotten the tools from Sony for them.
Doesn't mean everyone uses them though.

Ledsen

miladesn said:
Default controls in Conviction were terrible actually. Sam's movement feels floaty and 'unattached' when using left stick, hard to explain but it's not like your average 3rd person controls or any of the old games. Holding left trigger to stay in cover is stupid, it was present in R6 Vegas and unsurprisingly made it into this this game too after 4 years. aiming is strange too, it's very very easy to go for headshots, I'm not sure if it's the auto aim system that does this but overall it's very easy. There isn't anything special about the controls. Older games had tons of functions mapped to pretty much every single button on the controller and even then some buttons had context sensitive and multi functions and it worked really well, you couldn't run and gun because the game wasn't design for that. The said improvements in Conviction allows/encourages you to play it like a shooter, even level design is intended for a shooter, this is not exactly improvement over the previous games, it's just something different.

They didn't remove lots of options, they removed all of it, there is just one single linear path like SC1 and SC2, the sandbox like design of SCCT where you could backtrack and finish some objectives in whatever order or however you want is gone. The developers admitted it in the post mortem printed in December issue of Game Developer Magazine that they didn't have time for some reason to implement options like picking locks, moving bodies etc from the older games and were regretting it, you can expect they will bring some of the old features in future games but going by what they've said the base is going to be similar. pretty much none of the original team members behind SC game are working on this series, they are either not with Ubisoft anymore or moved to other things. Beland says that they took over after Ubi wasn't happy with the initial SCC concept some time in 2008, the game was in development for less than 2 years.

It's very regrettable that they removed some crucial features from CT like side objectives and moving bodies (especially that one), yes. I also agree that the single player campaign isn't anything special and the levels are way too linear. However, the co-op is pretty brilliant. The levels are less linear (although nothing approaching, say, the japanese bath house), and on Realistic you won't stand a chance if you run and gun. The moment-to-moment stealth gameplay in the co-op missions is extremely similar to CT, and I feel similarly badass when me and me buddy pull of some ridiculously awesome-looking stunt involving gadgets, door-breaching, dual execute and a good dose of stealth. I find the mark and execute mechanic to fit seamlessly into the stealth gameplay, since it makes you feel like a skilled agent without being overpowered, thanks to the fact that it's not always that easy getting a hand-to-hand-kill in co-op realistic.

I disagree with you about the controls. The layout is pretty wonky, but compared to CT, tha animations are smoother and traversal is easier. I seldom find myself blaming the controls for a mistake I make.

One of the best things about Chaos Theory was how well it scaled. I first played it on my shitty laptop and it still looked amazing. One of my least favorite parts of Conviction was the control scheme. Were there ever complaints for Chaos Theory's controls? I just couldn't understand the whole interact parts. Why can't I just fucking press E, not have to position my cursor down so I can look under the door.

Chaos Theory's single player is by far the best in the series, and it really pisses me off that SC on the 3DS has been Conviction-ified.

Top Bottom