• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider Definitive Edition (PS4/XB1) is 30 FPS

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Wow, kind of can't believe how underpowered the new consoles are.

Read the comments in here from PC gamers about how this game runs one their rigs with TressFX on. It's a complete hog that hasn't been optimized in the slightest.

- This game still embodies all the awful 30FPS on consoles it did before!
- But she's got a new hair!

tumblr_mahp85tgvo1qauhek.png

Prelude.

Since this time there won't be a difference in resolution or (allegedly) framerate it'll be interesting to see the raw differences between the two versions.

Yeah, like everyone's saying, go right ahead with the "definitive" jokes, but it was silly to expect the game to be 1080p and 60fps.

I have a 4gb GTX 770 and an i7-4770, and Tomb Raider is the only game I've played so far that I can't simply crank up to the maximum possible settings while still having it run at 60fps. Completely maxed out, I benchmark at like 32fps with dips toward 20. With SSAA toned down to 2x instead of 4x, I run it at 50-something fps.

Isn't the PS4 more than capable to handle this game on 60fps?

On a gimpy 7870? No.

On my overclocked 7870(1175/1350) at 2560x1440 I was only getting about 30 fps with TressFX enabled on Ultra. This game doesn't feel nearly as nice at 30 fps either. An option to disable TressFX and get 60 fps should have been included.

I only enabled TressFX to see it, but the performance impact wasn't worth it at all.

DC R1D3R

Banned
ok ok 30 fps isn't bad at all right? But, they could do better man!

you tryna tell me if japanese devs were up to par their games would be sub 60?

can't see it.

Kyou

I have to hand it to SE, they are really smart to be taking advantage of people's desperation like this.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
And on that note I didn't expect TR of all games to be 60fps, but then again only PC gamers expect every game to be 60fps even if it doesn't need or suit it.

People that value gameplay want games to be 60fps, not just PC gamers.

Although I suppose it's lucky this game doesn't have much in the way of gameplay...

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Honestly I think it's more likely developers just do not prioritize 60 fps at all.
It is, most people can't tell the difference so why make the effort, beat em ups, racers etc are different because some especially fighters are dependent on frames, but a 3rd person adventure game? I don't think anybody cares as long as its stable....well some care

I played mine on 1200p, 60 fps, ultra settings on a PC I built in 2011 for $900. This gen... lol

Are you just used to saying "Ultra" or do you literally mean Tomb Raider's "Ultra" preset? :p Because "Ultra" has TressFX turned off. ("Ultimate" has TressFX turned on, but even then still isn't maxed. There's one other setting - I think shadows - that's "normal" on Ultra/Ultimate that you can increase to high)

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
30 First Person Shooter, wow, as if COD hasn't killed this industry enough, ugh

Thanks a lot, iwata

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

ghst

thanks for the laugh
the exact same game with some small graphical improvements at a higher resolution with half the optimal framerate.

sounds about right for this gen.

TGO

People that value gameplay want games to be 60fps, not just PC gamers.

Although I suppose it's lucky this game doesn't have much in the way of gameplay...
As a Virtual Fighter and Street Fighter nut, I agree but for this type of game? its not needed a solid 30 is more then fine, people are just making something out of nothing, and we all know why.

Gaz_RB

To be honest, I don't really mind the frame rate. Just want more games to play on my PS4. Even if they are older games remastered.

jax

Banned
I will laugh heartily if it can't even maintain a rock solid 30FPS.

Definitive my ass. $60 for this is a fucking joke when you could get it so much cheaper right now.

I got it for free and enjoy it at 60fps, 1440p. I don't see why people are surprised next gen consoles can't handle full FPS.

As long as it's a genuinely solid 30fps, then I'm okay with this. The PS3 version was probably an average of 20.
Edit: I also played it on PC at launch which had poor Nvidia performance, which gave me an average in the 40's with everything maxed out at 1080.

heyf00L

I don't get the obsession with 60fps..

Well let me explain it to you then.

60 fps looks and feels better than 30 fps.
Last gen was the "HD gen" with some games at 1080p and some games at 60 fps. After 8 years of that everyone was expecting all games at 1080p and most at 60 fps.
This particular game is a last gen game released with a few changes, yet they still can't get 60 fps. This is upsetting.

I was never going to buy that for 60$. I payed 20$ for the PS3 version with PS+.

I would have considered the game for 40$ or less but at 60$ ? lol, no offense to the developers but it's ridiculous and they know it. But hey, devs don't decide at which price to sell that definitive version.

And btw definitive ? lol what a load of crap that is !

The other TR:DE thread had a poster who said he/she would pay $1 per frame. I remember I agreed to that. So... $30 is my price of admission. Not a penny more.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
TressFX is definitely a hog but I figured in the time since it releases they managed to smooth it out some.

Not really surprising to see this but disappointing nonetheless.

TGO

I remember when people thought every PS2 game was gonna be 60fps, glad to see the dream still alive.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
As a Virtual Fighter and Street Fighter nut, I agree but for this type of game? its not needed a solid 30 is more then fine, people are just making something out of nothing, and we all know why.

You could make the argument that no game "needs" 60 fps, or 30 for that matter. Games just feel better to play at higher framerates no matter what genre. I enjoyed my time with this game much more when I disabled TressFX and played at 60 than when I had it enabled and limited my fps to 30.

Dolor

Honestly I think it's more likely developers just do not prioritize 60 fps at all.

Maybe, but if the power was readily available, I am sure they would use it.

Here we go again.

I wasn't trying to start something, but I really find it disgusting by Microsoft and Sony that they settled on consoles that can't hit basically the median TV/monitor spec on a game that came out for last gen. What does that mean later on in the cycle when PCs are 3-5x more powerful than they are now?

Obviously, they chose to prioritize breaking even on their consoles in year one rather than pushing the envelope on technology. I just hope that PC gaming can keep some of the technology moving forward in their absence.

Majanew

Banned
Disappointing. But it better be locked at 30fps. No spikes above causing judder and no drops below causing unplayable frame-rates. I'll pick this up when it's at least 50% off. Charging $60 is absurd. Even for those that haven't played it.

Top Bottom