• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider Definitive Edition (PS4/XB1) is 30 FPS

Releasing this at 60fps might also send the wrong signal and set the wrong expectations when it comes to next gen TR sequels, if those are going to target 30fps. Maybe that was also a concern.

But we can probably put most of the blame/justification on those hair physics.

That would be ridiculous if the hair alone was kept in to keep it from being 60. I hope that's not the case, and they did say the hair tech was streamlined or optimized, so hopefully it's not eating up nearly as many resources.

Regarding the sequel, the footage I've seen of this definitive edition looks pretty fantastic, so I'd be perfectly fine with the sequel looking no better, if it ran at 60.

You folks thinking this gen was going to be all 60fps and 1080p need to keep dreaming. Most devs will sacrifice framerate for visuals. That's not really going to change just because we have new machines.

Remember the good old days when people went to the store, bought a game, brought it home and played it?

It's a console. It is what it is. If you're so picky about the technical details and have special needs that just have to be met with regard to frame rate, resolution, IQ etc. - then, "we have a system for you, it's called a PC."

Tweak to your heart's content. Make your own decisions in the IQ vs. frame rate debate and make the game look and perform exactly how you'd like it. Maybe then you can do us all a favor and stop shitting all over every console game that doesn't meet your lofty standards.

/End angry old man rant...

Stitch

Gold Member
Why does everyone think that they're still using the early performance hogging TressFX from the PC Version?

AMD already released TressFX 2.0.

Tweak to your heart's content. Make your own decisions in the IQ vs. frame rate debate and make the game look and perform exactly how you'd like it. Maybe then you can do us all a favor and stop shitting all over every console game that doesn't meet your lofty standards.

/End angry old man rant...
C'mon now. Its a re-release on much more powerful hardware. People always expect serious technical improvements for these things. And how many re-releases do you see for full price?

If you call it 'the definitive version' and charge a full day-one release price, expect to get put under the microscope.

Majanew

Banned
You folks thinking this gen was going to be all 60fps and 1080p need to keep dreaming. Most devs will sacrifice framerate for visuals. That's not really going to change just because we have new machines.

I believe it was hope for a game that ran at 720p/30 on 360/PS3 being ported to XB1/PS4. 1080p/60 doesn't seem like asking for much -- especially for PS4. That new Lara model took its toll on performance.

FinKL

I missed out on this gem, and thought this would be the edition to get. Looks like I'll be trying it on PC instead and at $12.50 on GMG right now lol.

I want that 60fps goodness.

Dario ff

Banned
They should provide a toggle-able option for the hair so you can also deal with the indecision of halving the framerate for it as in my first playthrough. (In the end I disabled it, mostly because you have to do a ton of aiming with weapons on this game)

It's just not worth it because of the wonky collision detection of it against the body (magnetic shoulders). Now if they fixed that, it might be more interesting.

Then again who knows, maybe TressFX isn't killing the framerate that much this time around. Although, do the NPCs also use TressFX on this version?

I believe it was hope for a game that ran at 720p/30 on 360/PS3 being ported to XB1/PS4. 1080p/60 doesn't seem like asking for much -- especially for PS4. That new Lara model took its toll on performance.

It's not the new Lara model. At all. As it's already been said numerous times in this thread, Tomb Raider is currently one of the most intensive games to run. There are people with PCs that are significantly more powerful than the new consoles (myself included), who can't max out all the settings and run the game at 1080p/60fps.

Zimbardo

i remember hearing that SE released a patch for Tomb Raider on PC that improved performance in some of the more demanding areas ...ie, Shanty Town.

so i just redownloaded it off Steam and checked it out in 1080p/Ultimate settings. was getting pretty much a constant 60fps in Shanty Town ...TressFX turned on using Triple Buffered Vsync.

i remember it being worse than that when i played thru it long ago (before the optimization patch)

GTX680 4gig, i5 760 @ 3.8ghz, 8gig ram ...which is a pretty modest gaming pc these days, imo.

so yeah ...people talking about TressFX bringing gaming PCs to their knees should give it another look maybe ...if they haven't in a while.

Majanew

Banned
It's not the new Lara model. At all. As it's already been said numerous times in this thread, Tomb Raider is currently one of the most intensive games to run. There are people with PCs that are significantly more powerful than the new consoles (myself included), who can't max out all the settings and run the game at 1080p/60fps.

It is the new Lara model because she is sportin' TressFX now. Along with her new subsurface scattered skin. PC gamers having performance problems is when they enable TressFX.

C'mon now. Its a re-release on much more powerful hardware. People always expect serious technical improvements for these things. And how many re-releases do you see for full price?

If you call it 'the definitive version' and charge a full day-one release price, expect to get put under the microscope.

I'd agree that the price point isn't fair for a re-release, but I don't think that it being 60 fps would make it any more worth the 60 bucks.

Vote with your wallet, people. That's the most important tool you've got.

Wow, kind of can't believe how underpowered the new consoles are.

We've known that for quite some time but some people just wanted to believe. Anyhoo, this release is a smart move since next gen console owners are experiencing the traditional after launch drought and they're hungry for more games.

Grief.exe

Why does everyone think that they're still using the early performance hogging TressFX from the PC Version?

AMD already released TressFX 2.0.

They have actually came out and said that they are using the newer, optimized version of TressFX as well.

We've known that for quite some time but some people just wanted to believe. Anyhoo, this release is a smart move since next gen console owners are experiencing the traditional after launch drought and they're hungry for more games.

Yep, the arguments I got into 6 months ago...

If I only had a nickel for the amount of times I heard, 'secret sauce,' or, 'coding to the metal.'

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
I'm fine with it. wasn't expecting 60FPS

So you just wanted a minor resolution upgrade from the new consoles port. really? I'm not sure how people can by "fine" with this. even if you are a fan for the game. there is no real fixes or tweaks to the core gameplay, no real extras like new locations or quests, no real graphical upgrade (like complete reworked textures) no gain in performance. it's just upscaled port for full price.

Nethaniah

Kind of surprising because at the end of the day it is still a last-gen game and it's not that difficult to run on pc either unless you turn on (the old) tress-fx, they should have gone for 60fps over graphics.

Dolor

Yeah, maybe I fell too hard for the "secret sauce"/"optimization" explanations. I just can't see how anyone who has touched PC gaming for the last 3 or so years would be tempted back by that performance.

$500 for a new console? I can put a $180 card in my old PC that will get better performance.

Sorry for rehashing old arguments though. I am just catching up.

omonimo

Banned
So you just wanted a minor resolution upgrade from the new consoles port. really? I'm not sure how people can by "fine" with this. even if you are a fan for the game. there is no real fixes or tweaks to the core gameplay, no real extras like new locations or quests, no real graphical upgrade (like complete reworked textures) no gain in performance. it's just upscaled port for full price.
1080p is not exactly a minor res upgrade & characters use more poly to be precise. It's the same game but graphic not has exactly minor update at all.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Wait a minute people expected 1080p & 60fps with tressfx on console? Uh?

I think people are expecting AMD tech to work right on AMD hardware. but now if the newer version of tressFX can't make games run at 60fps on new consoles with AMD hardware in them then it need to be removed and never be used in any future game ever.

omonimo

Banned
Kind of surprising because at the end of the day it is still a last-gen game and it's not that difficult to run on pc either unless you turn on (the old) tress-fx, they should have gone for 60fps over graphics.
I have the suspect a lot here don't know exactly the tech difference from ps360 version & this edition. Probably with the same setting of the ps360 version could run at 60fps without problem.

No way would the consoles be able to do 60 with TressFX but they could have kept it an option to disable it for people who don't give a shit about it. Which is everyone.

Hip Hop

If the framerate is still the same to me from the previous version, than this is in no way the "definitive" version. Get out of here with that.

A few graphical upgrades? When the framerate could have made it that much different, a whole new game even.

Orayn

Honestly I think it's more likely developers just do not prioritize 60 fps at all.

Wow, kind of can't believe how underpowered the new consoles are.

Doesn't have to be one or the other. 1080p at a framerate higher than 30 was probably something they could accomplish, but going all the way to 60 might prove difficult and would definitely make the game look more like the last-gen version and less "Definitive."

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00H8IVL6O/
Thats not a full priced game
That is
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00HQCQ1RQ/
And that
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00BT9DURQ/
And that is too
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00BT9DURG/
But TRDE fits in the MGSGZ price range or Pinball Arcade and is less then DC injustice

Nethaniah

I have the suspect a lot here don't know exactly the tech difference from ps360 version & this edition. Probably with the same setting of the ps360 version could run at 60fps without problem.

I guess a solid 30fps would still be a an upgrade over the original console versions (which i have not played) but damn wouldn't you want to give your audience a better playing game despite of course most people not knowing what the difference would be unless they actually play it, oh well maybe it's because i play mostly on pc but i wonder why these cross-gen games can't be pushed farther.

Twice the pixel count, texture res increased from jack squat to 4K, more/better particle effects, subsurface scattering, and, love it or hate it, Tress FX hair. Worth the $60 price point? Not IMO, but it's also not fair to refer to this as merely a "minor resolution upgrade."

COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE!

Last gen at 30? Doesn't pass in my book.

Ugh...

Top Bottom