• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider - E3 2011 CG Trailer

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Lara looks great, trailer looks great, setup looks great. One question remains: Why not simply starting a new franchise for this? I can't really imagine how this setup will end up with Lara raiding tombs.

Yoshiya

Bufbaf said:
Lara looks great, trailer looks great, setup looks great. One question remains: Why not simply starting a new franchise for this? I can't really imagine how this setup will end up with Lara raiding tombs.
Brands matter, especially ones as big as TR. I think this is a great outcome. SE let Crystal Dynamics take the series in a very bold new direction; if this game was instead a new IP we would have gotten another traditional TR game instead.

The CG looked great but I can't wait to see some actual gameplay.

On another note, that last bit reminded me of the old duck tales episode where they visit the bermuda triangle.
ducktalesahpn.jpg

sol_bad

Yoshiya said:
Yes, Visual Works did this.

Thought so, don't know how I picked it because the designs are certainly western but it still visually felt like Square did it themselves.
Thanks for the quick reply.

This screams of "HOLY SHIT, Uncharted is stealing all our thunder - WE'VE GOTTA UP OUR GAME!!1!"

It was alright. I dunno, Lara Croft feels fairly inconsequential in this day and age now, while the ultra posh-totty voice-acting is grating on the ears. Also, what's there to gain by taking a leap of faith from one half of a rapidly-sinking ferry to the other half of a rapidly-sinking ferry.

Amir0x

Banned
Bufbaf said:

I really like Tomb Raider and I hope this doesn't mean the end for traditional TR games. There's only one series like it right now, and that's Tomb Raider. For whatever this game turns out, it's going to be immensely disappointing if they killed the classic formula for this. It looks and feels nothing like TR in any way, on top of pointlessly bloodying it up as if that's the reason for the series popularity downfall. No, Eidos, you needed to fix your damn camera and focus on hardcore level design that encourages difficult free form platforming and puzzle design, that's all.

As of now, due to Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light I will be giving this game a chance, but I am disheartened by it. It's one of those times when it's so against the grain of the franchise that they really should have started a new franchise since if this is successful it would essentially mean killing classic Croft, which is unacceptable.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Yoshiya said:
Brands matter, especially ones as big as TR. I think this is a great outcome. SE let Crystal Dynamics take the series in a very bold new direction; if this game was instead a new IP we would have gotten another traditional TR game instead.
Right, but they may have called it "Lara Croft: Survivor" or something with "..starring Lara Croft". I still think that would have been better in the long run.

Also, what Amir0x said. Plus if this game bombs, it's a throwback for Tomb Raider. If they went 'my' route, they could continue the TR line without thinking about that.
But yeah, I don't really argue here - hope the game turns out great!

Cartman86

Banned
The look of this game is fucking amazing. I mean it's so god damn slick and the art style is awe inspiring. Really hope the actual game lives up to that.

Ellis Kim

Banned
Neo Child said:
So is this still set in the TR Legends, Anniversary & ... the other ones universe?
No. This is a franchise reboot + origin story.

Its a larger step away from what Lara's been known as than Crystal Dynamic's previous departure from Core's games, which was already fairly notable (e.g. Lara's sudden take-no-prisoners attitude change, Prince of Persia-style platforming).

Its a full on reboot.

Looks great.. This will be the first Tomb Raider I'll play so I hope it's good.

The playstation one's had shitty controls and couldn't get into them.. and the model of Lara looked no better (never liked the desing even in the latest games of the franchise) ..hell it looked like the tits had more poligons that the rest of the body & level together. XD

Monocle

Cool trailer. I like the premise, and I can't wait to see some gameplay. Hope the graphical style it's like a grittier version of Uncharted.

UrbanRats

I liked the trailer, but yeah, the VA was generic and annoying.
It didn't sound very British to me, either (though i'm not English/American native spealer, so i'll step back on that).
And the script was generic too, but no one's playing the game for the story, right? They should've trimmed the voice over stuff in the trailer, by half.
I mean, we get it, fight the adversities etc etc, no need to blabber about it for 3 minutes.

@Amir0x: That form of tomb raider ( i liked it too, anyway) was dead anyhow.
Either they were going to reboot like they did, o they were going to drag it a bit in the ground, before killing it.
This is a prologue-story, so i'm curious to see where they're gonna take the series afterwards, when Lara will be a mature explorer once again.
It's true they've grittied everything and they've allegedly added Uncharted-like setpieces, but that's not bad, as long as they keep the rest of the game's exploring gamedesign good and fresh and inventive, and open.
A richer atmosphere and a darker look, may benefit the exploration part, giving a more tangible mood allaround.
Besides, they tried to add a "depth" to the story, with the Crystal Dynamics' reboot, which was terrible ( i liked the games, but the story stuff was.. ugh), so it won't be the first time.

MNC

Jesus Christ I WANT this. Hottest Lara, great CG in the trailer, and the whole concept sounds so damn amazing.

edit: Holy shit that trailer looks grea- FALL 2012?!!??!?!?!!

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
dragonlife29 said:
I really like her voice and design. The trailer was awesome, too.

First Tomb Raider game I'll buy.
I just checked my collection and damn, so far the only TR i've ever actually bought on (or even near) release is Guardian of Light. Mind Blown.

decyx

Discotheque said:
I laughed at that fucking terrible line "I was looking for adventure but...(dramatic pause)...adventure found me!"

That line made me cringe too. I hope the rest of the script isn't as poorly written. Still looking forward to the game though.

Jay Sosa

WTF..that looks like a fucking movie..except for the faces you have a hard time telling it's a game.. I know its just CGI but still.

I just hope that they focus on riddles and awesome ruins and not on combat, and completely overhaul the targeting system. I also would love to see them stop with this supernatural bs but I guess that's a main part of the franchise nso I doubt they'll do that.

shuyin_

Banned
Buckethead said:
Her arm would have been so broken from that jump...

Also terrible VO.

PLEASE RECAST.
Well if you want real life, high speed fall + long distance fall = water becomes concrete. Seriously, she should have some brain damage after hitting the water with her head.

Erebus

EPIC! SquareEnix are truly the masters of CG video.

I'm hyped; now show us some in-game footage please.

Arnie

This was a fantastic little CG video, set her up and her situation. Can't wait for this game, glad they're taking the IP and making something grander with it.

I don't get what's wrong with the voiceover... someone enlighten me please?

Edit: Actually watching it a second time there are parts that sound a bit shit, lol.

That was like every cliche narrative line rolled into one trailer. Its a shame there aren't many good writers out there doing work on these games.

Top Bottom