• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Feb14| We Kick Ass for the LORD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moaradin

I prefer One Piece in English(Funimation), and a lot of people think that's weird. The Japanese cast is great but so it the English cast. I can't count how many times I've been told I've been watching the show wrong. I thought my opinion might change once I got used to the Japanese cast more, but I've been caught up with the anime for a while now and have seen more episodes in Japanese than in English at this point, but my opinion still stands. Weird.

Also, put Steins;Gate in the list of shows with vastly superior dubs.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Jaken is better in the dub, but Kikyo is better in the sub.

Jaken more relevant character however.

Inuyasha, Miroku, Kagome, LORD SESSHOMARU, Naraku, most random characters, Shippo, Kaede, The entire band of seven...pretty much everyone is better in English.

Also I might be the one person on the planet who adores Kikiyo's English VA.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Shows that subjectively I think are better dubbed.

Eureka Seven
Huh? No. Just no. Even ignoring subjective opinions about performances and the like, the Eureka dub is objectively mediocre at best. The translation is confused and inconsistent, a few times they flat out get things wrong, and a number of references and allusions to other things are completely lost in translation, presumably because the localization staff didn't understand the reference. Those are just factual mistakes. It doesn't matter how good your performances are (and personally, subjectively, I don't think most of them are all that great, but that's another matter entirely), if your translation is poor, your dub is poor.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I am almost certainly one of if not the biggest dub anime fan on this board. I love dubs, I love the US and Canadian voice acting scene in particular. I can name almost a dozen dubs off the top of my head that I find superior to the subtitled version for one reason or another yet I have no problem with this statement:

I would like to add hellsing and hellsing ultimate to that list of superior dubs.
and gungrave to subjectivity, I prefer it dub but its also good sub.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Huh? No. Just no. Even ignoring subjective opinions about performances and the like, the Eureka dub is objectively mediocre at best. The translation is confused and inconsistent, a few times they flat out get things wrong, and a number of references and allusions to other things are lost in translation. Those are just factual mistakes. It doesn't matter how good your performances are (and personally, subjectively, I don't think most of them are all that great, but that's another matter entirely), if your translation is poor, your dub is poor.

Yep I knew this post was coming. The Limit of Questions interpretation in particular is awful. How you get that from a simple "Oh, the universe has too much life in it" is crazy. I just think the main leads do an incredible job of acting around the script while the Japanese version is flat as hell, enough to turn the tide for me.

I've seen both versions maybe a dozen times altogether (watching it on Toonami, anime clubs, with friends, on my own) and yet I hold by it.

todd360

Today has been a pretty good day. The elite 4 was defeated and I think the evangelion episode of my podcast went well. Plus toonami is tonight. Can't wait to watch some more One Piece english dub. Hopefully Space Dandy is good tonight. Its been a real hit or miss for me lately.

Loco4Coco

Today has been a pretty good day. The elite 4 was defeated and I think the evangelion episode of my podcast went well. Plus toonami is tonight. Can't wait to watch some more One Piece english dub. Hopefully Space Dandy is good tonight. Its been a real hit or miss for me lately.

I've missed the last 3 episodes of SD, need to catch up on alot of things on my DVR.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Yes we are. Might wait to come up with a time right before Inuyasha.

Also I'm amazed at how few people get banned in the weekly PS Vita is such an amazing machine but... threads that pop up. It always ends in some of the dumbest list imaginables. 3DS doesn't have enough Pinball games? It's got a bunch!

Tenumi

Banned
Yes we are. Might wait to come up with a time right before Inuyasha.

Also I'm amazed at how few people get banned in the weekly PS Vita is such an amazing machine but... threads that pop up. It always ends in some of the dumbest list imaginables. 3DS doesn't have enough Pinball games? It's got a bunch!

Well, this is the first time I've learned that number Pinball games directly correlates with the quality of the system.

I don't know how I got on without that knowledge :p.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom