• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Feb14| We Kick Ass for the LORD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckohler

Frankly, I don't really want to see anything "old" come back. I want to see shows that I've not had the chance to see before.

Can't agree with you there because the greatest show Toonami could possibly air is a show from 2007. Gurren Lagann.

Can you imagine? Spiral Hype levels would be off the charts every week.

Edit: Don't think GL has aired on Toonami, actually. It did air on the Sci-fi Channel though.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
"The Tactician's Intent"

r2hXTmUl.jpg

It's morning in the Land of Birds. Naruto, Twenty and Neji are at Moso's house. It's a pit. Glasses nerd says it's ok, he lives as a man of the people. Naruto doesn't quite get it but a laughing man is approaching. It's Moso! Chishima bows, as does Neji and Tenten. Naruto is apprehensive, some old dude from the dumpling shop is the second most important person in your land. Neji forces Naruto to prostrate himself. Moso wants them to be comfortable and glasses nerd makes the introduction. Moso talks about the cursed warrior and wants to know if they figured out who it is. Naruto pipes up that it was a legit ghost. Neji tells him not to assume that but Naruto says it appears out of nowhere and flies around. Twenty...agrees with Naruto, the armor was empty when they knocked off the helmet. Moso wants them to get to the bottom of it and stop all the false rumors from hurting the young feudal lord's rule. He begs the ninja to help him!

mI5unZXl.jpg

They give off half Excalibur faces. Next they go and get some wings. Naruto says Moso is a nice guy. Cheap, but nice. Neji likes him too, a strong and nice advisor. Twenty questions the rumor about the cursed warrior and Neji thinks it is caused by jealousy. Chishima agrees that it is probably still Lord Komei. Twenty brings up that his house was attacked last night but Neji is genre savvy and thinks that he did it to throw off suspecion. Naruto wants to go and strong arm him. Neji calls him an idiot, they need proof! Neji wants to meet with the feudal lord. Glasses nerd says the lord sees no one, no how. Naruto weedles that they are bosom buddies, throw him a bone. Chishima insists they are just childhood friends.

hyyG1Yxl.jpg

Cut to the Ninja and Chishima standing in reeds by the lake. Naruto wonders why they are here but Chishima says if the young lord was going to show up anywhere, it would be here. I smell a FLASHBACK. He come here to play with his NEAR IDENTICAL little sister, Lady Toki. He might come around if they are lucky and Neji shushes them. Of course the Lord saunters up in an ox drawn carriage. Twenty is blushing, Lord Sagi is cute and definitely her type. Lord Sagi is looking at the water fowl and opens a pocket watch (Don't Forget 3.Oct.11) and his watch's hands haven't moved since that faithful moment. It's Young Lord JYB! Only the memories of his CLEARLY DEAD sister keep him from breaking down. Neji's spider sense is tingling, Byakugan. It's not above the ground, it's coming from the water! Assassins!

gxxsC1rl.jpg

Sword Sharks! Three of them. Neji blocks one with a kunai and kicks him square in the face. Tenten dodges and kicks her opponent in the side of the head. Naruto delivers a flying missile drop kick to the head of his opponent. They all get up and Naruto asks who they are before they dive into the water. Naruto walks on water to go after them but Neji tells him to stop, they detonated a paper bomb to try and kill any pursuers. Chishima asks if the lord is alright and introduces the ninjas. Lord Sagi is not thrilled by their arrival and asks if it was Moso's idea, which of course it was. He feared for his life with good reason. Sagi tells him to shut his pie hole. Naruto won't take this lying down though and cuts a promo. They weren't paid enough to put up with any sass and it's only because Chishima is a true bro that they took the job, brother. Sagi is annoyed by the help. The friendship is from the past, that bond is broken. Now only exists the relationship between lord and page. "You dissin' frindship? Go ahead you big snob and say it again!" Twenty and Neji are holding him back! Sagi suddenly goes all emo wishing the shuriken that struck the carriage had struck his throat instead. He orders his guards to bring him home. Naruto wonders just who the fuck he thinks he is and Tenten responds, not for the first time, that he's a feudal lord. Chishima asks for forgiveness, he hasn't been the same since his father and sister died. Chishima believes in the power of time healing wounds. Tenten notices the shuriken is oddly shaped and distinct. Chishima has seen it before. No ninja here is this Podunk land but some guards were receiving special training. Who commands the guards? Lord Komei.

7FeYbqVl.jpg

The three ninja are staking out the joint while Neji lays out the whole sordid affair. Lord Komei killed the previous feudal lord and invented the Cursed Warrior character after he wasn't chosen by Moso. The arrival of these three forced Komei to try and speed up his plans by assassinating Lord Sagi. Naruto wants to charge in again. Neji says no charging, evidence first. Naruto agrees and Neji says "and they said you couldn't be taught" Stay classy. Twenty spots someone moving through a door in the wall alone. It's probably Komei. Tenten wonders why he'd go off alone. Night has fallen now and the person is going to the same temple the cursed warrior came from. The doors open again and the suit shambles out. G-g-g-g-g-g-ghost Talpa.

reeERSLl.jpg

It was Lord Komei they followed. Neji uses his Byakugan and sees something. Naruto says this meeting is proof enough and leaps out of the tree. "He's onto you and your so-called ghost! The jig is up, the cursed ghost is just one of your flunkies!" Ghost Talpa attacks!

YRvuLozl.jpg

Neji and Twenty spring to back him up, Neji throwing kunai and telling Naruto to get down while Tenten leaps over him and lays some paper bombs on the Cursed Warrior. Boom. Tenten celebrates before the dust clears. Ghost Talpa no sells it and Naruto declares him to be one tough ghost. Ghost Talpa starts making a whirlwind with his sword. Naruto can't even see him. Neji tries his magic eyes and sees the shadow clone shurikens he threw out and blocks them with eight trigrams rotations. Naruto didn't know a ghost could use ninjutsu and Neji drops a truth bomb on all of us. It's a ninja inside that armor bro. Twenty identifies the same type of shuriken that the assassins used on Lord Sagi. Neji needs him alive.

e1aiG9y.gif

Tenten is on the case though. That doesn't work. Neji has a plan and needs Naruto to back him up. He gets into a tree and tells Twenty to keep him busy with everything you got. That doesn't work either, just keep his attention. Naruto delivers a shut the fuck uppercut from below the ground, a callback to the chunin exams. Now it's Neji's turn. Gentle Fist art, Eight Trigrams 64 palms. Ghost is sent flying back into a tree. They did it and Twenty is excited for the Scooby Doo reveal.

yjPLMsol.jpg

Purple Miasma! The body desolves into green ectoplasm! The kids are freaked, not again. The guards are out at Lord Komei's place. He's a suspect, they found a set of armor in a storehouse on his land. Everything points to him, he's under arrest, will he go quietly? He does. Chishima thanks the kids and Naruto calls it a job well done. Twenty is surprised by how fast the investigation took; they only brought this to the Lord's men an hour ago. Neji smells a swerve, pointing out that the energy of this ghost felt completely different (plus the Miasma and ectoplasm) that of a living breathing human. Tenten says he didn't feel that last night. Naruto doesn't get it and Neji says that there is another Cursed Warrior out there!

NEXT EPISODE: "Too Late for Help"

LOLDSFAN

I absolutely hated Durarara back when it aired.

That's my legitimate opinion, even if it's the unpopular one.

Frankly, I don't really want to see anything "old" come back. I want to see shows that I've not had the chance to see before.

Can't say I disagree. Watched Durarara! back when it aired on [AS] and couldn't get engaged with it.

Raxus

The only 'old' anime I want to see air for the first time on Toonami is TTGL. It is a good fit for the block and fits well into the later times. Bleach will probably be replaced by Fairy Tale, if at all. Dunno who is going to fill in for IGPX still. I assume they will have something in their back pocket. As long as it isn't IGPX again...

If Inuyasha comes back it might as well be with Final Act attached.

As far as DRRR!! goes, I loved the anime but I like Baccano! a little better. Both desperately need new seasons that aren't happening ;_;

The only 'old' anime I want to see air for the first time on Toonami is TTGL. It is a good fit for the block and fits well into the later times. Bleach will probably be replaced by Fairy Tale, if at all. Dunno who is going to fill in for IGPX still. I assume they will have something in their back pocket. As long as it isn't IGPX again...

If Inuyasha comes back it might as well be with Final Act attached.

FT is dubbed by Funimation I imagine Bleach will be replaced by a Viz dub like Nura Rise of the Yokai or InuYasha Final Act

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
As far as DRRR!! goes, I loved the anime but I like Baccano! a little better. Both desperately need new seasons that aren't happening ;_;
Yeah, I think I enjoyed Baccano overall more, though it was kind of annoying all the times they'd jump between time periods & keeping track of what year the current scene was.

I really hope they don't replace bleach with another long runner. I'd like their to be more room on the schedule for shorter series to air more frequently. If that's not possible then maybe they could expand one piece to an hour to at least speed up the pace of things or maybe air the previous episodes.

Raxus

Yeah, I think I enjoyed Baccano overall more, though it was kind of annoying all the times they'd jump between time periods & keeping track of what year the current scene was.

Not gonna lie. Took me 3 episodes to get every story straight. Once you figure out it is largely told in 3 different time periods. (4 if you count the intro and that episode). The story is a little easier to follow. But I appreciated its style of storytelling.

The best way to introduce newcomers is just to focus on the story of the Flying Pussyfoot since it is the central storyline for the series.

Heck, even recalling it now I am trying to piece things together. Firo and Dallas' storylines really toss a wrench in the whole thing.

I really hope they don't replace bleach with another long runner. I'd like their to be more room on the schedule for shorter series to air more frequently. If that's not possible then maybe they could expand one piece to an hour to at least speed up the pace of things or maybe air the previous episodes.
It'd be ideal but long running shonen bring in ratings and keep butts in seats. Hell we saw some hardcore Naruto Shippuden fans in the Q&A this week. As much as it sucks to get shitty long running series we will have to bear it and allow 11:30 and post 1:30-2:30 be reserved for 'shorter' series.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Baccano is still more straightforward than the second season of GITS for example and I don't think anyone who actually pays attention will be lost.

Hell I'd say FLCL is more complicated with all its symbolism and references.

That's why I kind of think Nura Rise of the Yokai would work well, it's a 48 episode anime dubbed by Viz that seems to have an older vibe to it like Bleach (this is based simply on the art style and series description on wiki). Thus far they've seem to replace new shows with new shows by the same company and looking over Viz's dubbed anime that are newish the only 3 that seem to make any sense are

Nura Rise of the Yokai
InuYasha Final Act
Tiger & Bunny

Looking though the rest of their library nothing stands out or is pretty old (though it would be "new" for the block like Kekkashi)

I do think FT is coming to the block eventually and if they don't replace Bleach with another Viz show I'd say either FT or Toriko from Funimation is almost assured to go in that slot. I imagine we might see a slight schedule shuffle (push Shippuden up to 12PM, either move OP to 12:30 or whatever replaces Bleach at 12:30).

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Magi. Also who says it needs to be Viz as they've said time and again they don't actually have a contractual balance thing.

Magi. Also who says it needs to be Viz as they've said time and again they don't actually have a contractual balance ting.

While they say that, yet most of their new pick ups have stayed pretty consistent with that, if we're including all recent anime shows I expect to see on Toonami eventually get a lot larger

From what I heard about the Magi anime?

Magi is an amazing series (manga) the anime has issues but as a whole I think Toonami GAF will enjoy it a lot more then anime GAF did. Also some of the production issues that plagued the original release shouldn't impact us as we'll probably get the better quality dvd version on Toonami

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Funi and aniplex have the rights to most of the new or popular stuff they are going to pick up in the next five years and they won't waste a top slot like Bleach's on an also ran just to keep up averages. Hell they just got rid of the best Viz show on the block.

Raxus

Magi is an amazing series (manga) the anime has issues but as a whole I think Toonami GAF will enjoy it a lot more then anime GAF did. Also some of the production issues that plagued the original release shouldn't impact us as we'll probably get the better quality dvd version on Toonami

Good to hear. I enjoy the manga well enough, I just need to plop down on my butt and catch up. AnimeGAF actively scared me away from the anime though. I hear good things from the second season however.

the general vibe i get is that Viz is harder to work with than Funimation, so i really wouldn't be surprised if Toonami's relationship with them is lessened as time goes on

Funi and aniplex have the rights to most of the new or popular stuff they are going to pick up in the next five years and they won't waste a top slot like Bleach's on an also ran just to keep up averages. Hell they just got rid of the best Viz show on the block.

InuYasha for them probably isn't anywhere near where Naruto, Shippuden, and Bleach are in terms of relevance to Toonami's audience or their ratings even if Toonami GAF wishes other wise. You know if they had this issue with Shippuden they would have found a way to make it work.

Good to hear. I enjoy the manga well enough, I just need to plop down on my butt and catch up. AnimeGAF actively scared me away from the anime though. I hear good things from the second season however.

Well season 2 covers the part where Magi went from a pretty good shonen adventure series to an incredible shonen adventure series.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
the general vibe i get is that Viz is harder to work with than Funimation, so i really wouldn't be surprised if Toonami's relationship with them is lessened as time goes on

Well that and they are a bit player these days. If it isn't Naruto or Bleach they really don't care. Going to suck for them in upcoming years as those end.

Well that and they are a bit player these days. If it isn't Naruto or Bleach they really don't care. Going to suck for them in upcoming years as those end.

It doesn't help that the series they continue to bet on being the next Naruto/Bleach end up flopping half the time. Though they do have World Trigger which continues to do surprisingly well for Shonen Jump and I'm starting to wonder if with an anime bump it could become something bigger.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It's a damn shame that Morbito, Code Geass, Death Note, DRRR! all aired during the shit part of Adult Swim Saturdays as if they hadn't had a chance on the network before they would have done quite well under the TOONAMI brand with its increased eyeballs for 6.5 hours.

yeah, i mean if The Final Act and Tiger & Bunny run on Toonami then the Viz well kinda dries up outside of Naruto

Even Final Act is just a tiny roadbump of a series.

MikeMyers

Here's a list of anime that Viz owns:

Accel World
Bleach
Blue Dragon
Blood Lad †
Buso Renkin
Coppelion †
Cross Game †
Death Note
Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet †
Hikaru no Go
Honey and Clover
Honey and Clover II
InuYasha
InuYasha: The Final Act
K
Kekkaishi
Lagrange: The Flower of Rin-ne
Majin Tantei Nōgami Neuro †
MÄR
Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit (Originally licensed by Geneon and later by Media Blasters)
Nana
Naruto
Naruto: Shippuden
Naruto SD: Rock Lee and his Ninja Pals †
Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan
Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan - Demon Capital
Pokémon: Indigo League
Pokémon: Adventures on the Orange Islands
Pokémon: The Johto Journeys
Pokémon: Johto League Champions
Pokémon: Master Quest
Pokémon: Advanced
Pokémon: Advanced Challenge
Pokémon: Advanced Battle
Pokémon: Battle Frontier
Pokémon: Diamond and Pearl
Pokémon: DP: Battle Dimension
Pokémon: DP: Galactic Battles
Pokémon: DP: Sinnoh League Victors
Pokémon: Black & White
Pokémon: Black & White: Rival Destinies
The Prince of Tennis
Ranma ½
Reborn! †
Strawberry 100% †
Tiger & Bunny
Ultra Maniac (Originally licensed by Geneon USA)
Vampire Knight
Vampire Knight: Guilty
Zetman

So, not much to give to Toonami.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Who gets Sailor Moon will probably be the interesting announcement during con season this year. If it's Funimation I expect it to be on Toonami as soon as DVDs go into production, maybe before.

bigkrev

Hey, Hikaru No Go is pretty good. I remember reading the manga for it when I was subscribed to Shonen Jump.

Hikaru no Go has great art (artist would later do Bakuman, Death Note, and is currently working on All You Need is Kill) with great character designs (I love how Hikaru's hair is 2 different colors to represent the 2 colors of stones without it looking over the top), but it didn't do enough to explain Go to me and the series fails because of that IMO

MikeMyers

You realize that Funi only did that with DBZ right? All their other Blu-Rays are fine (from what I hear)

Does Viz even do Blu-Ray?

Funi cropped DBZ because they were selling it to the mainstream markets and apparently thats what the mainstream wants, there other stuff is just 13 episode stuff that sells to a niche market. I imagine Sailor Moon would probably get the same treatment. Then again, they didnt crop Kai Blurays and they did do a release for the hardcore fans, so maybe it wont be so bad.

Viz is releasing Ranma on Bluray actually. Viz probably wont go for Sailor Moon as they dont own the manga, so they cant use the anime as an advert for the cartoon.

Hikaru no Go has great art (artist would later do Bakuman, Death Note, and is currently working on All You Need is Kill) with great character designs (I love how Hikaru's hair is 2 different colors to represent the 2 colors of stones without it looking over the top), but it didn't do enough to explain Go to me and the series fails because of that IMO

i disagree, i never really felt knowing the rules of Go was truly integral to enjoying the series

Wind Rises....great shit. Really loved the sound effects. Lip movements were off a couple times in the dub. Thankfully I saw the sub literally 30mins after I saw the dub.

Watch the sub

Mik317

Comcast Bros.

I am going to miss Space Dandy...for a long time now as I wont be able to make it home in time to see it live.

What time does On-Demand get the newer episodes?

Moaradin

Magi first season is a decent shonen series. The second season that's going on right now though? It's been very good, bordering on excellent.

Wind Rises....great shit. Really loved the sound effects. Lip movements were off a couple times in the dub. Thankfully I saw the sub literally 30mins after I saw the dub.

Watch the sub

But then I'd have to hear Hideaki Anno.

Magi first season is a decent shonen series. The second season that's going on right now though? It's been very good, bordering on excellent.

This, Magi is like One Piece where if you don't let its world and characters grow and give up early you'll miss our on what is truly one of the better stories in manga/anime.

I'll watch both the dub and sub but lip flaps really don't bother me at all unless the scene is built around reading a characters lips which is pretty damn rare in anime
and this post will be followed by 10 examples from people pointing out scenes where this happens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom