• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Feb14| We Kick Ass for the LORD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mik317

Magi first season is a decent shonen series. The second season that's going on right now though? It's been very good, bordering on excellent.

Magi is on my growing list of stuff to watch....along with HxH.

But Gintama has taken all of my time.

Moaradin

Magi is on my growing list of stuff to watch....along with HxH.

But Gintama has taken all of my time.

Been hearing good things about Gintami recently. That's probably the next long-running show I watch.

And get on HxH immediately! It quickly became one of my favorite shows of all time. The current arc that the anime is on is GOAT.

Mik317

Been hearing good things about Gintami recently. That's probably the next long-running show I watch.

And get on HxH immediately! It quickly became one of my favorite shows of all time. The current arc that the anime is on is GOAT.

Gintama can be sooo fucking good. I don't even get all of the references but when you do it is amazing. But it gets legit awesome when it gets serious.

and I am trying to get caught up with HxH. I really want to see why people say its so awesome. I at about episode 14 or so (Gon training against Birds to hunt Creepy Clown Guy) and I can feel somethin awesome growing (Killua fucking
RIPPING OUT A DUDES MOTHERFUCK HEART for example
)....

daveo42

Banned
Watch the fucking sub, Shinji

Shit yeah, found out I'm seeing the sub tomorrow. Surprised they are showing it subbed state-side, though it makes more sense to show it in an art house theater.

Edit: Subs are almost always superior to dubs. The only dub I like more is Cowboy Bebop.

Raxus

Gintama can be sooo fucking good. I don't even get all of the references but when you do it is amazing. But it gets legit awesome when it gets serious.

and I am trying to get caught up with HxH. I really want to see why people say its so awesome. I at about episode 14 or so (Gon training against Birds to hunt Creepy Clown Guy) and I can feel somethin awesome growing (Killua fucking
RIPPING OUT A DUDES MOTHERFUCK HEART for example
)....

Hunter Exam is by far the worst arc. It still has its moments
fishing for tags, the part you are at, Netero
but it gets better and better every arc onwards IMO.

I wonder if we can reach over 20k before the next OP is up?

Shit yeah, found out I'm seeing the sub tomorrow. Surprised they are showing it subbed state-side, though it makes more sense to show it in an art house theater.

Edit: Subs are almost always superior to dubs. The only dub I like more is Cowboy Bebop.

*ejects daveo42 back into anime gaf*

Oh god, no no NO not in here! CLOSE IT DOWN

In seriousness though, I think Hellsing (the original, I can't comment on Ultimate) had a phenomenal dub as well and it is better than the Japanese track. This isn't like the 90s though where we had stuff like Slayers. I love the Slayers, but their dubbing was atrocious. These days, we have much much better dubs and some of them are just as enjoyable as the Japanese tracks if not better. GITS:SAC is another example I think of something I like dub better than subbed.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

dave pls

foxuzamaki

Magi first season is a decent shonen series. The second season that's going on right now though? It's been very good, bordering on excellent.

But then I'd have to hear Hideaki Anno.

Magi I heard from people that they hated that it went off from manga, that was the first season tho, thats the common complaint I was seeing from it tho

Magi I heard from people that they hated that it went off from manga, that was the first season tho, thats the common complaint I was seeing from it tho

I haven't watched it on CR, nor read the manga but that is something hard to get over sometimes. I mentioned it a couple weeks ago, but it is a similar feeling I had when I watched Blue Exorcist when it got an anime. I KNOW where the story should have gone because I read the manga way before. Seeing where it went in the tv show just made me pause a little and I'm not entirely sure I liked it as much.

That's just what you get when you make a show when the manga is ongoing I guess.

foxuzamaki

I haven't watched it on CR, nor read the manga but that is something hard to get over sometimes. I mentioned it a couple weeks ago, but it is a similar feeling I had when I watched Blue Exorcist when it got an anime. I KNOW where the story should have gone because I read the manga way before. Seeing where it went in the tv show just made me pause a little and I'm not entirely sure I liked it as much.

That's just what you get when you make a show when the manga is ongoing I guess.

Since I watched blue exorcist before can you tell me in spoilers when did it start to diverge and is it like soul eater where some parts of the manga was loosely animated/referenced throughout the filler?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Funimation tweeted a sale on Amazon for a bunch of One Piece DVDs, along with the complete series of Soul Eater for $30 on Blu-Ray or DVD, Dragon Ball Z Kai stuff, Toriko, FMA Brotherhood, & Fairy Tale.

I WANNA say potential OP spoilers because of the covers for the DVDs/Blu-Rays, as they seem to relate to Water 7, but considering I've only seen what Toonami's at, it's hard for me to tell.

Funimation tweeted a sale on Amazon for a bunch of One Piece DVDs, along with the complete series of Soul Eater for $30 on Blu-Ray or DVD, Dragon Ball Z Kai stuff, Toriko, FMA Brotherhood, & Fairy Tale.

I WANNA say potential OP spoilers because of the covers for the DVDs/Blu-Rays, as they seem to relate to Water 7, but considering I've only seen what Toonami's at, it's hard for me to tell.

Its the kind of spoilers where if you don't know it probably wouldn't phase you.

Since I watched blue exorcist before can you tell me in spoilers when did it start to diverge and is it like soul eater where some parts of the manga was loosely animated/referenced throughout the filler?

Sure

WARNING: FOLLOWING IS BLUE EXORCIST SPOILERS.

The divergence happens directly after the whole training in the forest situation occurs and Rin is found out to be the son of Satan by the rest of his teammates/classmates. After Amaimon attacks and the current Paladin shows up and captures Rin, in the manga, Rin is tried at the hearing and then assigned to special train with Yukio and Shura. Following this, there is a new arc that deals with the "Impure King" and delves into the history of Suguro, Shima and Miwa. Their families live in the same place in Kyoto and are part of an old order of exorcists (closer to buddhists more than catholics like the priests we see in most of BE).

In the anime, as you probably know, after the Paladin captures Rin in the forest and they decide to set him as "the one who is going to kill satan" but I don't remember them officially declaring him to go under special training with Shura and Yukio in the same fashion. Like Soul Eater, as you mentioned, they do hint at things that happen in the manga as well. They DO visit Kyoto and talk to the other kid's families but their intent here is to fix the demon blade that gets cracked rather than track down the left and right eyes of the impure king (artifacts that get stolen in the manga and are the basis for that entire arc). It's been awhile so some of my facts might be a little fuzzy, but this is what I recall happening.

I think in the manga his classmates were a lot more understanding of his situation than they are in the anime. In the anime they REALLY drag out their distrust of Rin for several episodes. In the manga, I think they forgive his hiding of it much faster and just kinda keep going. Konekomaru's distrust in particular seems to be played up much more in the anime than it was in the manga. From there on, it's like...there's a birthday episode and a beach episode (I think) and none of that happens in the manga. This is why I am not sure I like it all that much because they added in things that are usually filler when they had no need to. They could have wrapped up the show without doing a summertime episode or a birthday episode.

foxuzamaki

Sure

WARNING: FOLLOWING IS BLUE EXORCIST SPOILERS.

The divergence happens directly after the whole training in the forest situation occurs and Rin is found out to be the son of Satan by the rest of his teammates/classmates. After Amaimon attacks and the current Paladin shows up and captures Rin, in the manga, Rin is tried at the hearing and then assigned to special train with Yukio and Shura. Following this, there is a new arc that deals with the "Impure King" and delves into the history of Suguro, Shima and Miwa. Their families live in the same place in Kyoto and are part of an old order of exorcists (closer to buddhists more than catholics like the priests we see in most of BE).

In the anime, as you probably know, after the Paladin captures Rin in the forest and they decide to set him as "the one who is going to kill satan" but I don't remember them officially declaring him to go under special training with Shura and Yukio in the same fashion. Like Soul Eater, as you mentioned, they do hint at things that happen in the manga as well. They DO visit Kyoto and talk to the other kid's families but their intent here is to fix the demon blade that gets cracked rather than track down the left and right eyes of the impure king (artifacts that get stolen in the manga and are the basis for that entire arc). It's been awhile so some of my facts might be a little fuzzy, but this is what I recall happening.

I think in the manga his classmates were a lot more understanding of his situation than they are in the anime. In the anime they REALLY drag out their distrust of Rin for several episodes. In the manga, I think they forgive his hiding of it much faster and just kinda keep going. Konekomaru's distrust in particular seems to be played up much more in the anime than it was in the manga. From there on, it's like...there's a birthday episode and a beach episode (I think) and none of that happens in the manga. This is why I am not sure I like it all that much because they added in things that are usually filler when they had no need to. They could have wrapped up the show without doing a summertime episode or a birthday episode.
So was the thing about yukikio also getting devil powers accurate?

So was the thing about yukikio also getting devil powers accurate?

Not as far as what I read in the manga. No that is completely made up for the anime. I haven't read the last volume or two though. They took a huge break between like...volume 7 or 8 and the next one. By that time, the stories had well and truly diverged between the anime and the manga.

Edit: I have also looked over the manga chapter synopsis' for the last two volumes I haven't read. Nothing in there suggests that Yukio received powers. I was right as well. Volume 8 came out in November of 2012 and Volume 9 came out in April of 2013. I didn't get that or Volume 10.

foxuzamaki

Not as far as what I read in the manga. No that is completely made up for the anime. I haven't read the last volume or two though. They took a huge break between like...volume 7 or 8 and the next one. By that time, the stories had well and truly diverged between the anime and the manga.

I see, thanks!

tumblr_mvwnc4z94d1rmzd9bo1_500.gif

Tenumi

Banned
I don't think I'll tire of that gif, especially knowing now that its not just a caption added image but rather a full blown in context line in the show.

I don't think I've ever seen a arrested development gif that wasn't just quoting the show to greater effect than anything else that could be put in said gif.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
True but it is especially true for One Piece like revealing Robin on the crew when Vivi was traveling with them.

Toei is under the belief that everyone watching the anime has read the manga.

Considering how new volumes sell over 2-3 million copies in the week they come out, that's a safe assumption to make.

Toei is under the belief that everyone watching the anime has read the manga.

Considering how new volumes sell over 2-3 million copies in the week they come out, that's a safe assumption to make.

are the American DVD covers Toei's call though? i thought Funimation designed those.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
are the American DVD covers Toei's call though? i thought Funimation designed those.

Funimation is behind the American DVD box art.

I was referring to the third opening which spoiled that Robin would join the crew 15 episodes before she actually does.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I am almost certainly one of if not the biggest dub anime fan on this board. I love dubs, I love the US and Canadian voice acting scene in particular. I can name almost a dozen dubs off the top of my head that I find superior to the subtitled version for one reason or another yet I have no problem with this statement:

Subs are almost always superior to dubs.

This is true for any number of reasons. The product in its intended language is the pure authentic representation of the author's will with all the cultural nuances that come with where they were born and what language they wrote it in. Not only is that how it is generally (the statement isn't an absolute at all) but it is to be expected. I love good dubs though because my Japanese is horrible and sometimes some of the cultural shifts in the localized product make for a better presentation, or sometimes they just have better actors or ones that are at least easier to appreciate. Besides a few really good at emoting actors the language barrier is just too much to recognize mediocre from awful in foreign language films.

There are exceptions and interestingly enough a good deal of them air or have aired (or will air or should air) on Toonami. It's not that surprising that a great deal of the textbook dub>sub (and of course there is a great deal of subjectivity here of course) are some of the most beloved and higher budget shows to be produced.

Here is my list in tiers.

Shows that the Dub is clearly superior without much argument:

Cowboy Bebop
Baccano
Black Lagoon
Inuyasha
YYH

It's not that shocking when 3 out of 5 of these shows have very western/american action film feel to them that they turned out better dubbed. Baccano is the clear leader here, it just doesn't work without the attempted period accents though Black Lagoon is a real close second. Inuyasha...just doesn't have a very good Japanese cast and most people agree on Cowboy Bebop. When Space Dandy finishes its run I expect it to be right up there.

Shows that subjectively I think are better dubbed.

Naruto
G Gundam
DBZ, especially Kai
GITS:SAC
FMA:B and FMA '03, though especially '03.
Eureka Seven
Ouran High
Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Gundam Seed
Trigun
Chobits
Slayers
4Kids Pokémon
Big O

Shows that people laugh at me when I tell them I prefer it dubbed:

One Piece: This is a tough one to boot as the Japanese cast is OUTSTANDING and some of the roles no matter how good they've been so far (Franky, Bon Clay, A certain someone coming up) will never be as good. The Funimation cast kills it though. I gladly watch both versions.

FLCL: Yep. Some people were slamming the dub on its most recent run but they did an incredible job finding people in English who sound like the Japanese roles and I prefer almost the entire cast in English.

FLCL has a ton of weird delivery and stiff acting but i dunno. i kinda got used to it and it fits in a weird way.

as far as One Piece goes, i would personally say:

Japanese Luffy > English Luffy
English Zoro > Japanese Zoro
English Nami is basically the same as Japanese Nami
English Usopp > Japanese Usopp
Japanese Chopper > English Chopper (though this is really really close to being the same)
English Robin > Japanese Robin
this is going to be a VERY unpopular opinion, but English Franky > Japanese Franky; something about Japanese Franky just rubs me the wrong way

Man god you claim to be a fan of dubs and talk about dubs that are better then subs but don't mention either version of Hellsing? Dub fan card revoked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom