• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Top 20 best selling games of 2016 in the US, also genre split

Kill3r7

Dark Souls is huge and on three platforms. Game is at 1.5m on Steam alone. You've gotta imagine PS4 is way above that maybe even double since PS is the original home of Souls. Who knows about Xbox.

1) It is US only.
2) It is below Far Cry Primal so it is not a massive hit.
3) That said, I do suspect these numbers include digital sales which some publishers share and the big 3 do not. Hence the absence of UC4.

EDIT: This survey does include STEAM data.

McDougles

Interesting breakdowns by sex for average gamers

Male

Under 18: 18%
18-35: 17%
36-49: 11%
50+: 13 %

Female

Under 18: 11%
18-35: 10%
36-49: 8%
50+: 13%

Women aged 50+ are the most prevalent gaming demographic among all females.

What makes shooters so popular as a genre? This is anecdotal but it seems like every person I've met who just games more casually and isn't super into it like us tends to play FPS games either the most or pretty much exclusively.
Is it just because they're easy to pick up and play with buddies or is it something else?

It's about the perspective. The same reason people have an epiphany moment with VR. If the lessons since Wolfenstein 3D haven't taught you anything, you're not about have a eureka now.

Too bad they combined the two Pokemon versions. Would be interesting to see its real spot

No. 11 and No. 12 combined? I'd bet they'd be number 1!

TheMoon

What makes shooters so popular as a genre? This is anecdotal but it seems like every person I've met who just games more casually and isn't super into it like us tends to play FPS games either the most or pretty much exclusively.
Is it just because they're easy to pick up and play with buddies or is it something else?

point, shoot.

easiest type of game, also one of the oldest. plus the multiplayer aspect you mentioned.

Steveo

Banned
UC4 won't have bundles or DD sales.
NPD don't count bundles and Sony don't give there info out .
Just UC4 bundles alone would have out sold DS3.

But how many people bought the bundles because they didn't want Uncharted 4, but because they got a good deal on the bundle around the holidays?

Without the bundle Uncharted 4's 9 million sold would be far, far less.

Mifune

Mehmber
Almost all those games can be played solo and offline. No reason to worry right now.

The only mp only games are overwatch and siege. Cod and bf are mp focused but they do have actual sp campaigns.

I hear ya but the continuing decline of the single-player-focused game depresses me. I see GTAV, FF, Far Cry, and Dark Souls on this chart and that's all. Not to say that some of these others don't have good single player campaigns (I loved Titanfall 2) but it's hard to deny that the type of console game I grew up playing and loving is a dying breed.

NPD doesn't count bundles and digital. I guarantee Uncharted 4 would be on there if it did. That Slim bundle was really successful.
So still, the standalone copies of Uncharted 4 didn't outsell the standalone copies of any of the other games, which is significant. I hate the "bundle defense."

Christ, GTA5 is a monster. Still full price and still selling. The store I work at gets new copies every week and we go through every single one.

So still, the standalone copies of Uncharted 4 didn't outsell the standalone copies of any of the other games, which is significant. I hate the "bundle defense."

I actually agree that it's pretty noteworthy and worth pointing out. Just people looking at this and going "uncharted 4 bomba??" isn't true.

#15 Final Fantasy XV
#16 Titanfall 2

That is either really great news for Titanfall 2, or really terrible news for Final Fantasy XV.

Depends on how you look at it. TF2 was being sold at steal price non stop during the holidays. It was definitely between $30-$40. FFXV was a straight $60 until early of this year.

cyba89

Biggest surprise is Titanfall 2. Wouldn't expect it to outsell something like DOOM (which even launched in the first half of the year with multiple sales).

It's still not a 1 to 1 since DS3 would have DD sales and UC4 would not .
And DD sales can make up 20 to 30% in sales and bigger the game the more sales you missing.

BigEmil

Holy shit at COD IW. Even though it done much worser than COD BO3 it's still no.1 seller of 2016 also released late 2016 daaamn

border

But how many people bought the bundles because they didn't want Uncharted 4, but because they got a good deal on the bundle around the holidays?

Without the bundle Uncharted 4's 9 million sold would be far, far less.

I'm not going to retread the whole "Should bundles be counted?" argument that has existed since Wii Sports.

But if the only way UC4 surpasses Dark Souls is when it is the default game being given away with every PS4 console whether the purchaser wants it or not.....then I think then that speaks pretty strongly to how well Dark Souls performed. And it did that without a huge marketing blitz or dozens of Game of the Year awards.

It's still not a 1 to 1 since DS3 would have DD sales and UC4 would not .
And DD sales can make up 20 to 30% in sales and bigger the game the more sales you missing.

Why would Dark Souls 3 have its digital sales counted when UC4 does not?

border

Depends on how you look at it. TF2 was being sold at steal price non stop during the holidays. It was definitely between $30-$40. FFXV was a straight $60 until early of this year.

Final Fantasy is a series with a 30-year history, massive brand recognition. FFXV had a 100+ million dollar budget and a 7-10 year development cycle. For Final Fantasy XV to perform only marginally better than Titanfall 2 does not seem like the greatest result.....but then I suppose that depends on what the actual numbers are.

data

All the talks about CoD IW's being the worst selling game in the franchise made me believe the game sold like shit. But it's #1 on this list. Damn. I'm beginning to feel this franchise may be around for another 10 years.

Top Bottom