• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Top 20 best selling games of 2016 in the US, also genre split

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I have a theory about GTA V.

Some of these sales have to be from broken, scratched up, worn out discs.

I swear my phat PS3 from 2008 died after playing GTA V on it so much. That was the last game played on it when it gave up the ghost.

And I think my PS3 version doesnt work. Might test it today, just got another PS3 last week.

Griss

This list shows why Scorpio's pitch of 'The best place to play console multiplats' will be a meaningful one. None of the biggest games out there are exclusive.

Everyone I know who bought a PS4 irl did so because it was the best place to play the new Fifa and CoD games. More than half came from X360. But wherever those games are best is where the punters will go... assuming price parity, which in this case is far from a sure thing.

Ahasverus

The top 10 is heartbreaking. The dudebroest of the dudebro. I'm not against those games, but against what the message their success brings to the execs.

Dark Souls III being in there surprises me greatly!

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
This list has a bunch of things I didn't know or expect

- GTA V's enormous legs are known, but #3 spot in 2017? Lawd this game man
- Thought CoD was on the downward spiral sales wise. Still outsells everything else apparently :eek:
- FIFA at #10 in the US? wow
- I expected Overwatch to be even higher as it was a huge phenomenon last year, and still is. #7 is impressive for a new IP though
- FF XV is lower than expected
- I thought Titanfall 2 disappointed sales-wise, but #16 is still really good
- Thought DkS was even bigger than a #20 spot at this point, but it's still impressive.

RMI

Banned
geez infinite warfare sales were short of expectations and it's still the best selling game.

nice showing for Titanfall 2, Final Fantasy XV, and Dark Souls 3.

Syf

Banned
This list has a bunch of things I didn't know or expect

- GTA V's enormous legs are known, but #3 spot in 2017? Lawd this game man
- Thought CoD was on the downward spiral sales wise. Still outsells everything else apparently :eek:
- FIFA at #10 in the US? wow
- I expected Overwatch to be even higher as it was a huge phenomenon last year, and still is. #7 is impressive for a new IP though
- FF XV is lower than expected
- I thought Titanfall 2 disappointed sales-wise, but #16 is still really good
- Thought DkS was even bigger than a #20 spot at this point, but it's still impressive.
On Overwatch, you can bet most of the sales were through battle.net and this doesn't include digital

sackninja

Guess they were sitting on their hands during the Versus years. Who exactly was paying everyone's meal ticked anyways through it all?

As I understand it, they were all working on fixing 14. The game didnt enter full production until shortly before it was revealed again.

Welfare

Why are people saying this doesn't include digital? It says it right in the chart "The NPD Group/Retail Tracking Service/Digital Games Tracking Service

Cool to see far cry primal squeeze in the top 20. I hope they copy assassins creed and just keep dropping the formula in random times/places. Medieval far cry next?

Final Fantasy is a series with a 30-year history, massive brand recognition. FFXV had a 100+ million dollar budget and a 7-10 year development cycle. For Final Fantasy XV to perform only marginally better than Titanfall 2 does not seem like the greatest result.....but then I suppose that depends on what the actual numbers are.

FF XV had by far the biggest debut in the series in US. Over 1.5 million in retail and with 30% digital ratio 1.95 million overall. Titanfall 2 had three months of sales counted. FF XV just one.

Final Fantasy is a series with a 30-year history, massive brand recognition. FFXV had a 100+ million dollar budget and a 7-10 year development cycle. For Final Fantasy XV to perform only marginally better than Titanfall 2 does not seem like the greatest result.....but then I suppose that depends on what the actual numbers are.

Could you provide a source about the 100+ million bugdet for FF XV, which sold ~2M including digital in 2016?

jroc74

This list shows why Scorpio's pitch of 'The best place to play console multiplats' will be a meaningful one. None of the biggest games out there are exclusive.

Everyone I know who bought a PS4 irl did so because it was the best place to play the new Fifa and CoD games. More than half came from X360. But wherever those games are best is where the punters will go... assuming price parity, which in this case is far from a sure thing.

Also, word of mouth is going to have to play a part too. And this is in the middle of a gen, not the beginning of a new one. Dont see many ppl switching from PS4 Pro but those still on last gen and those who dont have a Pro will be key.

Mid gen refreshes is still new territory.

The Xbox brand is damaged this gen IMO. In my area anyway. Just listening to the kids around me says it all.

Velkyn

There's a very large group of people who only play Call of Duty and nothing else. If Call of Duty went away, they probably wouldn't play video games anymore.

Oh, I was referring to The Division. I'm like, negative surprised about COD being #1.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm also without words, why is this still ranked third place, it's a great game but it shouldn't outsell all but 2 new releases, it's been available for ages now...

As new people get old enough to get into console gaming, they buy GTA.

Its sales tie very closely to new consoles.

border

FF XV had by far the biggest debut in the series in US. Over 1.5 million in retail and with 30% digital ratio 1.95 million overall. Titanfall 2 had three months of sales counted. FF XV just one.

Final Fantasy XV promptly disappeared off the NPD charts in January anyway. It's not as if a few more months of sales would have pushed in much further. Final Fantasy titles are always really front-loaded it seems like.

Could you provide a source about the 100+ million bugdet for FF XV, which sold ~2M including digital in 2016?

I thought it was just a generally accepted number, given the marketing expenditures and protracted development cycle. FFXIII is quoted at 65M before you even begin to factor in marketing, and it didn't take the better part of a decade to produce.

jroc74

I'm also without words, why is this still ranked third place, it's a great game but it shouldn't outsell all but 2 new releases, it's been available for ages now...

That GTA V Online. I've seen a show on Youtube thats some guy playing GTA V online. Like an actual series you watch on TV. With characters n all.

Its madness.

MTC100

Banned
As new people get old enough to get into console gaming, they buy GTA.

Its sales tie very closely to new consoles.

That's still insane. However viewed from this angle it gives insight as to how many new consoles are bought by >new gamers< and how the industry grows, quite interesting indeed.

GTA V is available on Steam too though, I wonder if there are a lot of PS360 owners that double dip when buying a PS4 or XBO.

That GTA V Online. I've seen a show on Youtube thats some guy playing GTA V online. Like an actual series you watch on TV. With characters n all.

Its madness.

That could be it, I never played GTA V online, I've played through the SP Campaign and stopped there...

jroc74

That's still insane. However viewed from this angle it gives insight as to how many new consoles are bought by >new gamers< and how the industry grows, quite interesting indeed.

GTA V is available on Steam too though, I wonder if there are a lot of PS360 owners that double dip when buying a PS4 or XBO.

Just for 1st person mode alone, I would say yes.

LKSmash

I'd say it's rather obvious people are double dipping. I wonder how many people have gotten it for 3+ platforms.

sackninja

Final Fantasy XV promptly disappeared off the NPD charts in January anyway. It's not as if a few more months of sales would have pushed in much further. Final Fantasy titles are always really front-loaded it seems like.

I thought it was just a generally accepted number, given the marketing expenditures and protracted development cycle. FFXIII is quoted at 65M before you even begin to factor in marketing, and it didn't take the better part of a decade to produce.

The game didn't fail, it sold really well and Square Enix were happy with it. I thought we were done with this talk after several articles about how much of a success it was but no... Some people can't just take the L and move on it seems. So one final time, FfXv actually wasn't the most expensive game of all time and Square Enix are happy with the sales.

border

The game didn't fail, it sold really well and Square Enix were happy with it. I thought we were done with this talk after several articles about how much of a success it was but no... Some people can't just take the L and move on it seems. So one final time, FfXv actually wasn't the most expensive game of all time and Square Enix are happy with the sales.

I never said that FFXV failed. I was just surprised at how it performed relative to other games in the marketplace. It got outsold by Star Wars Battlefront, which didn't even release in 2016 and saw its playerbase plummet amid DLC fragmentation and ho-hum expansions.

The Skyrim re-issue outsold FFXV, Battlefront, and Titanfall for that matter. I think Bethesda is benefitting from the same "get upgraded version of classic game that I love when I buy a new console" phenomenon that puts GTAV at the top of the charts so frequently.

I don't know what the hell happened to drive Battlefront sales. That makes no sense to me.

zelas

Yeah when people question the mainstream appeal of a platform's library or ask where the games are, a list showing what the majority of gamers are buying is a great point of reference.

Which is why I think MS's long term goal is a great one to work towards. The games will be there for the masses and then they'll have a performance option for performance conscious gamers who don't primarily game on pc.

And this is why third party marketing deals and more power matter. The average, casual gamer wants the prettiest version of CoD, Battlefield, etc. We can talk all day about why exclusives matter, but third party titles matter more. I work in a field where I'm often in the homes of average people and their console libraries usually consist of the past couple iterations of Call of Duty, maybe a Battlefield, GTA, and either Madden, FIFA, or NBA 2K (usually only one, oddly enough). Sometimes I'll see exclusive pack-ins, but when I worked at GameStop and then at another used game retailer, those pack-ins were often sold.

Seeing Titanfall 2 on that list makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside

COD still going strong. Not even surprised to see GTA at this point. Crazy how much money this game makes. After several years, the game is still more than $30 here in the Us

All the talks about CoD IW's being the worst selling game in the franchise made me believe the game sold like shit. But it's #1 on this list. Damn. I'm beginning to feel this franchise may be around for another 10 years.

That's just a result of being in the GAF bubble.

The reality is that a "terrible" year for COD is still going to be >2x almost every AAA title not named FIFA or GTA.

Ghosts is a great example: there was a bunch of talk on GAF and elsewhere about how sales were down huge from Black Ops II and how the COD franchise was in deep trouble: That game still ended up doing 19 million LTD.

This list shows why Scorpio's pitch of 'The best place to play console multiplats' will be a meaningful one

Going to be really hard to pitch that when Sony has exclusive marketing and content agreements with a large portion (COD, Battlefront, Destiny, list continues) of those multiplats, don't you think?

danmaku

The most surprising thing is that 3,3% for racing games. And people here wonder why arcade racers are dying. Screw it, racing games in general are dying! There's just a handful of realistic franchises fighting for scraps.

Titanfall 2 did better than I thought. Must have had a long tail.

Far Cry Primal is a decent/slightly above average game but it shows how important release dates can be.

postaboy

I was surprised that uncharted 4's not in top 20 but I remembered NPD don't include world wide sales. NPD is US only so that makes sense and uncharted 4 is single platform.

Top Bottom