• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Touhou Community Thread | Highly Responsive to Posts

cj_iwakura

Neat art of the newhous. Source also has Junko and much larger originals.
PECK1sW.png

Love her design.

cj_iwakura

Amen to that. Hecatia has one of the best designs in the series IMO (Then again I do have biases for Touhou characters with more contemporary designs).

I love anything with contemporary designs.

Sheesh, I'm out of the loop, I haven't played the new stuff since Ten Desires...

ibyea

Banned
Amen to that. Hecatia has one of the best designs in the series IMO (Then again I do have biases for Touhou characters with more contemporary designs).

Gotta admit, it has grown on me even if it looks tacky as hell. Plus the three planet thing with her hair changing every time her hat cycles through each of the planet after each attack is great. Lots of reference to her nature, including the music itself.

Evilisk

Finally decided to start LOLK and I gotta say, the music is really nice and the character designs are pretty great. Went through Stage 1 without a hitch, hit a few snags with Stage 2 and I've just been dying more as the stages have been going on. As someone whose only normal clears are for the spinoffs, I do like the Pointdevice system.

My only problem is that I feel like the game's ruining my eyes. Besides the bright UI, the colors for a lot of patterns + the background have been really sore on the eyes at times (because of all this, I think I've gotten a headache from Clownpiece's 1st nonspell, which is already super hard for my eyes to keep up with). Does anybody have any tips or hints for that part? I've tried focusing on the bottom only (along with the indicator that shows where she is) but it's taken 50ish tries already with no success

ibyea

Banned
Finally decided to start LOLK and I gotta say, the music is really nice and the character designs are pretty great. Went through Stage 1 without a hitch, hit a few snags with Stage 2 and I've just been dying more as the stages have been going on. As someone whose only normal clears are for the spinoffs, I do like the Pointdevice system.

My only problem is that I feel like the game's ruining my eyes. Besides the bright UI, the colors for a lot of patterns + the background have been really sore on the eyes at times (because of all this, I think I've gotten a headache from Clownpiece's 1st nonspell, which is already super hard for my eyes to keep up with). Does anybody have any tips or hints for that part? I've tried focusing on the bottom only (along with the indicator that shows where she is) but it's taken 50ish tries already with no success

May god have mercy on your soul because I have no tips for her first two non spells. You just got to stay at the bottom and dodge left and right while staying within the laser beams. It's ridiculously hard and sometimes she goes a bit downward causing the attack to become harder.

Evilisk

May god have mercy on your soul because I have no tips for her first two non spells. You just got to stay at the bottom and dodge left and right while staying within the laser beams. It's ridiculously hard and sometimes she goes a bit downward causing the attack to become harder.

Well that sucks

Somehow managed to sneak my way past the first nonspell (I still don't know how I managed that :\) though I'm still stuck at the Moon (I've got the pattern down mostly, it's just the random stars and not choking on the last five seconds that's the problem)

On another note, here's an accordion version of Clownpiece's theme

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Sooo... I've never played a Touhou game, but I'm willing to give the series a shot. I know Playism released Double Dealing Character over here, so that's the most convenient option... is it worth trying out, and why?

My concern is the level of polish.

demidar

Sooo... I've never played a Touhou game, but I'm willing to give the series a shot. I know Playism released Double Dealing Character over here, so that's the most convenient option... is it worth trying out, and why?

My concern is the level of polish.

Well the Playsim page also has a demo download link so you can try that. Just click the link below the shopping cart button (the one with the arrow pointing down).

6b0beb5f97.png

I just tested it out and you don't actually need AppLocale to run it so it's just extract and run the game .exe. In the demo dialogue and character information is in Japanese but the main menu and pause menu have English translations so you should be able to make your way around. The fanbase usually has translation patches up for even the demos if you really want to read the dialogue. That said, there's demos you can download for all the other games as well I think, but you'll have to look around.

As far as polish is concerned, Touhou games are complete packages and are mostly free of doujin jank.

cj_iwakura

OH YES.

Ug4RqWs.png

FINALLY. The next patch of Prime will have Bad Apple in the US. :D

Original video and all. (The Revolution is a badass track too.)

Evilisk

So after choking about a billion times (so many deaths at the 1 second mark >:|), I finally managed to beat that damned Moon spell (stars are now officially the worst type of bullet, I really shoulda known just from fighting Marisa in IN though)

I beat her second non-spell in one whole try. I feel pretty good about that honestly. I found it way, way easier to react to than her nonspell for some reason, either it's the momentum from beating the last card or I was just not in a good mood for the first nonspell.

Uh in other stuff, I've been re-getting into Touhou again (mostly because I have a computer with easy access again) and just wanted to recommend Do Your Best (;_;) Kogasa Chan! and the Immortal Who Saw the Death of the Universe. Kogasa chan! was just a great laugh and the second one, I enjoyed the concept of seeing what would happen to the Houraijin Immortals when the Earth gets destroyed (though I have to admit that it's way too cutesy for the subject/theme)

Also apparently Carcharias is gonna finish Soga no Tojiko which is great! I honestly thought it'd never get finished

EDIT: FFS this laser has to be trolling me. I keep adjusting where I start the spellcard and I still keep getting hit on the opening phase

EDIT 2: Yep it's a homing laser. Thanks Clownpiece, thanks a lot.

ibyea

Banned
So after choking about a billion times (so many deaths at the 1 second mark >:|), I finally managed to beat that damned Moon spell (stars are now officially the worst type of bullet, I really shoulda known just from fighting Marisa in IN though)

I beat her second non-spell in one whole try. I feel pretty good about that honestly. I found it way, way easier to react to than her nonspell for some reason, either it's the momentum from beating the last card or I was just not in a good mood for the first nonspell.

Uh in other stuff, I've been re-getting into Touhou again (mostly because I have a computer with easy access again) and just wanted to recommend Do Your Best (;_;) Kogasa Chan! and the Immortal Who Saw the Death of the Universe. Kogasa chan! was just a great laugh and the second one, I enjoyed the concept of seeing what would happen to the Houraijin Immortals when the Earth gets destroyed (though I have to admit that it's way too cutesy for the subject/theme)

Also apparently Carcharias is gonna finish Soga no Tojiko which is great! I honestly thought it'd never get finished

EDIT: FFS this laser has to be trolling me. I keep adjusting where I start the spellcard and I still keep getting hit on the opening phase

EDIT 2: Yep it's a homing laser. Thanks Clownpiece, thanks a lot.

Thankfully Clownpiece gets easier in the latter half of her battle.

Evilisk

Thankfully Clownpiece gets easier in the latter half of her battle.

I really, really hope so

I mean I'm not gonna quit (there's no way I'm gonna pass up clearing the game with this kind of system) but I really kinda wanna play other stuff since this is really soaking up my time lol

I found some way to cheese the lasers so far. I start off right (so then the homing stars go right) then move down with the lasers and if I time it right, I can bypass the stars completely and then repeat the process. Nearly managed to time it out too (I'll take what I can get :p), just gotta get this down.

EDIT: Really? REALLY? I died a millisecond after the end (as in she'd already dropped the item points) and it didn't count. I AM SO MAD RIGHT NOW

ibyea

Banned
I really, really hope so

I mean I'm not gonna quit (there's no way I'm gonna pass up clearing the game with this kind of system) but I really kinda wanna play other stuff since this is really soaking up my time lol

I found some way to cheese the lasers so far. I start off right (so then the homing stars go right) then move down with the lasers and if I time it right, I can bypass the stars completely and then repeat the process. Nearly managed to time it out too (I'll take what I can get :p), just gotta get this down.

EDIT: Really? REALLY? I died a millisecond after the end (as in she'd already dropped the item points) and it didn't count. I AM SO MAD RIGHT NOW

Yeah that is pretty much her hardest attack.

Late to the Hecatia love, but yes, her design is superb. Best character from LoLK.

Wait, seriously? I've been wanting this for ages, don't be getting my hopes up over nothi--

HELL YES. This story is probably the main reason I have any love for the TD cast.

Evilisk

Currently up to the Triple Moon spellcard

The one before that was super easy after I got it. It was just left, down up, right down down, rinse repeat. The length of the spellcard even made it feel hypnotic

The last one isn't too hard, I just keep slipping up at the 10 second mark (my brain just kinda freezes if I have to dodge anything whilst in the upper corner of the screen). It's so hard to NOT bomb through it that not bombing is taking more effort lol. I just know I could bomb the last few seconds and finally finish off Clownpiece. But I really need to save it for Junko...

EDIT: Fffffinally did the card.

And now I've taken 30 attempts on the stage portion. Yay....

demidar

Late to the Hecatia love, but yes, her design is superb. Best character from LoLK.

Wait, seriously? I've been wanting this for ages, don't be getting my hopes up over nothi--

HELL YES. This story is probably the main reason I have any love for the TD cast.

Coincidentally I just read (and caught up) on that series.

People back then sure slept around a lot huh. Can't wait for the last chapter.

Ah, Soga no Tojiko Will Not Talk. The latest book is a tad bit short in length, but news of the series continuing after such a long hiatus is always good.

It's funny how this series is so much in tonal contrast with their other works. I mean, they made a Miko Kokoro book with the TD crew that ended up being really silly and light hearted. And this series even began with a relatively light hearted tone what with the Monster Hunter and Madoka references.

Evilisk

Up to Junko's second to last spell card. So dang close. I'm super tempted to bomb the last few seconds (I got enough pieces for a second bomb during the fight). I'm really dreading her last card, it's apparently a survival card? I guess that's a really strong incentive to not bomb lol. Still, I'm awful at survival card (I've never captured any in a game outside of practice mode)

microfolk

Up to Junko's second to last spell card. So dang close. I'm super tempted to bomb the last few seconds (I got enough pieces for a second bomb during the fight). I'm really dreading her last card, it's apparently a survival card? I guess that's a really strong incentive to not bomb lol. Still, I'm awful at survival card (I've never captured any in a game outside of practice mode)

I hate to bring you bad news but Junko's survival is her second to last card. Her last spellcard is really really really difficult and I need at least two bombs to do it consistently, with just one it's still really hard.

Evilisk

I hate to bring you bad news but Junko's survival is her second to last card. Her last spellcard is really really really difficult and I need at least two bombs to do it consistently, with just one it's still really hard.

Great. I thought I was up to the second last since she had no more stars next to her name

At least now I know I HAVE to beat this without bombing

Also, now I understand now why all the fanartists like presenting Junko as a goof

EDIT: Seriously? Somebody in my house must have snuck a try, because I just opened up and found I'm back at Ringo again. Holy shit, I am not in the mood to redo everything again.

EDIT2: Finally got back to Junko. This time I used Sanae because I've been hearing good things about her bomb. Just breezed through the first two levels again (though I accidentally died on the first level, I didn't on my first playthrough). Stage 3 was a cakewalk this time, still died a few times though. Stage 4 was a lot better but still tough. Stage 5 (as in, the Stage Portion) was a cinch. Clownpiece was still super dumb (started dropping bombs during her cards because I had the max no. of bombs at that point), even Junko so far hasn't been as tough.

Sanae seems good. Her homing seems stronger (so shorter spellcards) and she's not as slow (I think, she feels faster at least). The only problem is that some spellcards were super problematic with the shot type (like Sagume's enemy spawning spellcard, ended up bombing through that). Also the bigger hitbox is a real problem for Junko. It's a shame, I do like Junko's danmaku style but it feels like it's only balanced for Reimu's hitbox imo. I'm surprised at how much I like Sanae this time around (I thought her homing shot type in UFO was cool but put into the wrong game, and her wideshot in TD was just really generic).

Evilisk

You can hug Sagume's feet during the card where she throws everything and the kitchen sink at you, it's a safe spot. :p

Huh, I'll have to try that out sometime

I'm at the survival spellcard and it is unsurprisingly the worst. What I hate the most is that I keep getting hit by the bullet spawn instead of the homing stuff. I also don't have enough bombs to bypass it and also bypass the next card just in case it's too hard so I've got to do this right. Ughh

EDIT: Well, screw it. I dropped two bombs with dodging for the survival card and then just dropped my last two bombs for the last portion of the final card

Guess I'm finally done! Got my first Normal difficulty, mainline game clear (and probably my only one unless this system comes back :/). I guess there's always the spinoff games to clear speaking of which, I wonder when 14.7 is gonna come out.

ibyea

Banned
Huh, I'll have to try that out sometime

I'm at the survival spellcard and it is unsurprisingly the worst. What I hate the most is that I keep getting hit by the bullet spawn instead of the homing stuff. I also don't have enough bombs to bypass it and also bypass the next card just in case it's too hard so I've got to do this right. Ughh

EDIT: Well, screw it. I dropped two bombs with dodging for the survival card and then just dropped my last two bombs for the last portion of the final card

Guess I'm finally done! Got my first Normal difficulty, mainline game clear (and probably my only one unless this system comes back :/). I guess there's always the spinoff games to clear speaking of which, I wonder when 14.7 is gonna come out.

There is always the extra stage you can suffer though. :p

Evilisk

There is always the extra stage you can suffer though. :p

Nope, I'm good lol

It takes all my effort just to get to Mokou/Raiko. And Hecatia's seems to be a marathon of a fight. Unless the Extra has pointdevice, I'm just gonna stick to finishing Double Spoiler for now

1upsuper

I'm sure this has already been asked, but is Double Dealing Character a not-terrible place to get started? I know the OP talks about good places to start, but this one is definitely appealing because it's a simple western $15 digital release and I don't have to deal with importing a physical copy. If so I'll definitely pick it up. I like Cave shmups casually and I've always wanted to check out Touhou.

cj_iwakura

I'm sure this has already been asked, but is Double Dealing Character a not-terrible place to get started? I know the OP talks about good places to start, but this one is definitely appealing because it's a simple western $15 digital release and I don't have to deal with importing a physical copy. If so I'll definitely pick it up. I like Cave shmups casually and I've always wanted to check out Touhou.

I wouldn't. Start with one that was actually translated. Don't support lazy publishers. No Touhou fan, or fan of niche games period, should give Playism a dime. Start with EoSD if you can.

Pretty sure there's a demo in the wild.

1upsuper

I wouldn't. Start with one that was actually translated. Don't support lazy publishers. No Touhou fan, or fan of niche games period, should give Playism a dime. Start with EoSD if you can.

Pretty sure there's a demo in the wild.

OK, thank you for the advice. EoSD is cheaper than I expected on Amazon, so I guess I'll probably start with that one.

cj_iwakura

OK, thank you for the advice. EoSD is cheaper than I expected on Amazon, so I guess I'll probably start with that one.

Well, you'll have to patch it of course, and the translation is kind of nonsensical, but it's part of the charm.

The best fan translation is Imperishable Night's, IMO.

"Now, bitch, get out of the way!"

microfolk

I'm pretty neutral towards Playism's release of DDC so in my opinion DDC it's a pretty good starting point. It's not the best (that would be MoF or IN I guess) but it's a pretty cool game with a neat scoring system and a couple of good stages (Touhou games are usually pretty bland on the stage portions, the main attraction are the boss fights and DDC is really good just like the other game in the series, even if the fifth boss has some bullshit mechanics). Playing well also showers you with tons and tons of bombs and that's a good thing since learning to use all your resources is really important.

If you're still going for the import route I don't know if EoSD will be a good place to start, it's the most atypical game in the new series: the character movement is really slow, the bullet patterns are far less dense, the bullet hitboxes are really big, you can't see the player hitbox, the scoring is really simple and the game is randomized as hell.
The game is still really really good, hell, it might be my favourite in the series! But it's the "strangest" game in the numbered entries, you might find more representative games in PCB, IN or MoF.
If you're already slightly proficient in the STG genre I'd recommend PCB.

upandaway

Gonna be attempting a serious 1cc this week, my last one was like, touhou 4. Dunno which yet. I don't think I 1cc'd any of the windows games...

Gave a couple runs at MoF and SA, I'm so rusty but surprisingly I got deathbombs left and right. I doubt I'll get any of them when it matters though.

Evilisk

Been currently working on Double Spoiler. Currently stuck at the Oni. I think I'm gonna have to check up how to do their spellcards because I'm not having any luck against stuff like the giant Suika spellcard.

On a smaller note, I was reading up on Japanese history (for reasons) and I found out that the Emperor of Japan used to be considered as a direct-descendant of the Goddess Amaterasu. It's super amusing to me because

1) Her introduction game is the last main/shooter game to deal with the Religious Wars theme and
2) She can be considered as embodying all of the religions up to that point. Taosim (as a shikaisen), Buddhism (even if she was only faking her practice/using it to pacify Japan) and Shinto (because of her position as former Emperor)

Just thought it was an interesting (maybe intentional) touch.

A new trailer for Sealing Club Activity Record -Moon- has been released, projected release date of C89.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nE3IWOXqWyU

In other anime news, Episode 6 of Memories of Phantasm will be released at around 18th October according to Manpuku Jinja's Twitter. Assorted pictures can be found on their site

http://manpukujinja.blog135.fc2.com/blog-entry-302.html

Cool. I'm interested in seeing how this'll stack up compared to the other two fan anime.

Also, I don't really follow Memories of Phantasm (I prefer A Summer Day's Dream more) but I've always wanted to see how they'd do the UFO, TD and DDC cast in their artstyle

Gonna be attempting a serious 1cc this week, my last one was like, touhou 4. Dunno which yet. I don't think I 1cc'd any of the windows games...

Gave a couple runs at MoF and SA, I'm so rusty but surprisingly I got deathbombs left and right. I doubt I'll get any of them when it matters though.

Would you consider the PC98 games easier to 1cc? Just kinda interested in knowing. I've only really tried out PODD and HRtP properly

cuc

This Saturday, NicoNico will broadcast a 8-hour special show, the 20th anniversary drinking party for Touhou Project.

The description page says there will be trailer(s) for new game(s), which likely will be some new fan games being ported by the Play,Doujin! programme, because Aqua Style has already said they have new games to announce this week.

However, this may also be a new official game. They've got ZUN as the "main star", and they've got Twilight Frontier as guests. Everything is possible.

Evilisk

This Saturday, NicoNico will broadcast a 8-hour special show, the 20th anniversary drinking party for Touhou Project.

The description page says there will be trailer(s) for new game(s), which likely will be some new fan games being ported by the Play,Doujin! programme, because Aqua Style has already said they have new games to announce this week.

However, this may also be a new official game. They've got ZUN as the "main star", and they've got Twilight Frontier as guests. Everything is possible.

8 hours is crazy. Though I guess that's good, there'll be a lot of time for me to tune in throughout the day

14.7 is probably gonna be there imo. Unless ZUN is skipping over it or something lol

Though I'd love if they announced an expansion to 14.5 like UNL

Evilisk

Bumping because of the stream

It's actually been on for a while (it's been a couple of hours since I last tuned in). Thought I'd mention it now because they're on to playing games (before it was just talking and I don't understand a lick of Japanese :/)

It was the racing game before. Now they're on to Koukishin but the game managed to crash on them...

cuc

ZUN proves to be a spoilsport who quitted the game when he was about to lose to Unabara (designer of the fighting games) in ULiL. I expected nothing less of him.

EDIT:
The stream ended. Given how much people have enjoyed it, somebody probably will upload thier archived version.

The "trailers" turn out to be a few short clips promoting the music circles' upcoming albums, shown during each circle's segment.

Meanwhile, today Aqua Style has announced:

- Some DLCs for Fushigi no Gensokyo;
- PS4 port of Fushigi no Gensokyo;
- PS Vita port of their action game, Double Focus.

ibyea

Banned
I actually watched the first hour and a half. Yeah I didn't understand anything. There were some music though! They were okay.

demidar

From what I could read, it was music for the first 3 hours, then 3 hours of gameplay, then music again.

Not that I know, I missed the entire thing >_>

Evilisk

Since there didn't seem to be much of a theme between this stuff, here's just a random roundup of Touhou stuff I've been watching this past week

Touhou Youyou Kengeki Musou speedrun
Done for Awesome Games Done Quick. I thought it was interesting because of the use of a lot of glitches to get the final time (there's also a Trap Tower speedrun on the same channel)

ULiL Netplay Tournament semi's and finals
Was kinda curious to see how competitive ULiL was going, and stumbled on these. They don't seem to be the most recent on this channel, but these are the ones I've watched so far.
Gonna say it now, Sukuna, Marisa and Ichirin are ridiculous
. These are a few months old and (if there have been patches) some things may have changed since.

Burning Meiling, episode 6, part 1 (english subtitles)
Newest part of Burning Meiling with English subs. Part 2 doesn't seem to be out yet. For those that don't know, BM is a pretty decent MMD that specifically focuses on CQC fights as opposed to spellcard battles.

Evilisk

I'm playing ULiL with a Gamecube controller.

It's going surprisingly well so far, any complex inputs I should worry about?

I don't think so (haven't played it in months though). I remember it being even more streamlined from HM, and IIRC there were no traditional motions (like QCF, SRK, HCB etc.) in that either. I may be mistaken though.

Kinda weird, I was just thinking about how HM/ULiL's controls might work for pad.

Watched those competitive ULiL vids linked above, this game is crazy at high level. >__>

Makes me wonder how Soku is doing these days. I enjoy the neat little things they come up with for each Touhou fighter but I hope they go back to the drawing board with the next one, air battles are pretty tough for me to get a grip on.

Edit: To avoid a double post, just gonna keep typing here.

Just got done watching most of that Burning Meiling series, did not expect it to be so fun to watch and I suddenly like Meiling as a character more now. :) Can't wait to see more!

shockdude

Burning Meiling is an excellent series. If you haven't watched it, you should.

Been blasting through the fighting game story modes these past few months. Cleared all of SWR and beat Soku's story modes. Also recently finished HM.
All beaten in Normal, all without continues except for a few in SWR.

Currently working on ULiL, finished Mamizou's story yesterday. LTTP but
the barrier break and outside world stages are really cool, and Mamizou is really clever

ZUN is too good at writing dialogue for his characters. Near-perfect balance of silliness and sensibility.
Ichirin thought the outside world was the world of enlightenment, lol

Also ULiL works really well on pad, and its accessibility means it's a ton of fun to play with friends of any skill level.

As for danmaku, been distracted by Mushihimesama. First time playing a CAVE game on a non-smartphone, and it's been great.

Top Bottom