• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Touhou Community Thread | Highly Responsive to Posts

You joke but Touhou as done by 4Kids is a stupid idea I've always fantasized about. And many others, so it seems!

It's... not really... :(
Also technically the first English Touhou fangame was Takkoman. It came out at the same time as the "DDC released in English!" fiasco on Playism.
Why is a 4kids translation a thing lmao

Sad to hear that the game might not meet expectations based on your ellipsis and sad face. I'll still buy it to show support for more Western Touhou releases, but I do hope they can move onto more quality releases in the future.

And then we can put Touhou in Smash Bros.

microfolk

You can actually play the games with the 4kid translation thanks to thcrap, this Christmas I played the PCB\IN routes and it was quite something.

shockdude

It's quite something indeed.
4kidslolka7rvn.png

Evilisk

I know right? Of all the credits themes, it's such a memorable song.

I'm glad you enjoyed the game, it's honestly where the series comes into its own, but it also has a ton of design qualities that just make it really good despite how simple it is as a shmup. It's just really fun to play.

I don't really agree on that? Assuming you're talking gameplay wise. I know you said you'll mention it in depth later but here's my take on it.
EoSD has Patchouli, whose repertoire of spellcards is pretty massively different between characters.
PCB has you start off with a different Prismriver sister for each character and functions a little similarly to Mai and Yuki from MS.
PoFV and MoF have nothing.
SA has Satori who behaves just like Patchouli above.
UFO and TD have nothing.
So all in all there's probably just as many games that don't vary their stage 4 boss as there is games that do.

After counting it out, you're right, there's just as many/probably more games that vary their Stage 4 bosses (if you don't count the Phantasmagoria shooters + HRtP for games that don't have it). I knew about EoSD and SA. I honestly forgot about PCB (though isn't it you always fight the same Prismriver depending on your character?).

I did mentioned I was gonna go into it in-depth but I wasn't really gonna talk about gameplay when I said that.

I was gonna say that while the mechanic has survived as a "Stage 4 gameplay variation depending on character/shottype" it's not quite like LLS and MS (and IN) where it's proper alternating bosses with completely different/unique characters and patterns and music and dialogue (I don't think any games feature all of these except for IN, which is a callback/exception. PCB and DDC, the characters are treated as part of a group and they share a musical theme. And EoSD and SA it's the same character, though I like how the story justification for it with Satori). That and the fact that whole games don't even have the mechanic pop up makes the mechanic seem less prominent than it was before.

Of course that's not completely true since you pointed it out. Thanks for the correction!

I've been playing a fair bit of PoFV lately with a friend who's been getting into Touhou solely because of Reisen lol. It's a lot of fun, but the computer is predictably annoying to play against. :(

I hope another one of these neat little versus games are made, I'd like to play with some of the newer characters too. That said, are there any other games similar to this?

Evilisk

I've been playing a fair bit of PoFV lately with a friend who's been getting into Touhou solely because of Reisen lol. It's a lot of fun, but the computer is predictably annoying to play against. :(

I hope another one of these neat little versus games are made, I'd like to play with some of the newer characters too. That said, are there any other games similar to this?

Touhou 3: Phantasmagoria of Dim. Dream is the only other mainline game in the same style. It's a PC98 game though and your friend won't have Reisen to pick either. Mechanically it's quite similar though there are some differences.

I feel like there might be a fan-made Phantasmagoria game (just because it's Touhou we're talking about), but I don't know if there actually is one.

EDIT: Actually, there is the Seihou series (which is like the forgotten sister series which was also made by ZUN). The second game, Seihou Kioh Gyoku is a versus shooter. It also has Yuuka as a bonus character. Problem is that the cast is tiny, and it's based around grazing projectiles (so it's a real pain in the ass fighting against the CPU). Music is pretty underrated though.

Personally I agree, I'd love another versus shooter with more recent characters (I was actually expecting 15 to be one since there was a six game gap with PODD and POFV and assumed 15 would follow suit).

shockdude

That's an interesting surprise. But to be fair, of any of the Touhou games to port to console, 14.5 is honestly the best choice at the moment.
Hopefully people don't complain too much about 720p lol.

And yeah a new thread might be worth making announcing.
Simple thread title should be enough: "Touhou 14.5 announced for PS4"
Whoever makes the thread should definitely have a bunch of hype gameplay videos to go with it.

demidar

That's an interesting surprise. But to be fair, of any of the Touhou games to port to console, 14.5 is honestly the best choice at the moment.
Hopefully people don't complain too much about 720p lol.

And yeah a new thread might be worth making announcing.
Simple thread title should be enough: "Touhou 14.5 announced for PS4"
Whoever makes the thread should definitely have a bunch of hype gameplay videos to go with it.

If someone else wants to they can, but I'm waiting until something more concrete pops up.

If someone else wants to they can, but I'm waiting until something more concrete pops up.
How do these things usually get announced anyway? I agree that a forum sourcing a radio show may not be concrete, but what else would we be waiting for?

Also noticed they specified that no PS Vita version is planned, rip

Evilisk

That is sweet! I always felt that with the control scheme, HM and ULiL would be a good fit for console. Though I wouldn't mind seeing IaMP, SWR or Soku on there too eventually

Also when are they gonna fix that security certificate business over at MotK, I still can't access the site through normal means

Well that sure is something. Curious about the additional content
Seiga please.

Fixed that for ya ;D

I still think we should wait until we get at least PS4 gameplay footage of ULiL before making a thread. As of now aside from ULiL being ported to PS4 with additional content (of which we don't even know of, it very well could be a few avatars and a theme like Gensou Rondo), we might as well wait.

Evilisk

I still think we should wait until we get at least PS4 gameplay footage of ULiL before making a thread. As of now aside from ULiL being ported to PS4 with additional content (of which we don't even know of, it very well could be a few avatars and a theme like Gensou Rondo), we might as well wait.

I think this seems reasonable.

Finally did a Normal clear of Mystic Square! Not really up for a write up at the moment though, so I'll probably dump my complete thoughts with the next game I manage to clear. I do want to say that those yellow homing blobs that Yuki and Mai and Shinki have are the bane of my existence. I never learned how to consistently dodge that and I would so very easily take curved lasers over those (and I loathe curved lasers)

Anyway, Story of Eastern Wonderland has been such a slog so far.The first two stages being so slow and so easy are really killing my drive to play the game. Doesn't help that there's a sudden difficulty bump when you get to Meira.

Meira is rough for a Stage 2 boss. She's not difficult in the traditional Touhou sense. She just has a couple of cheap attacks that make for a rough battle (like the second pattern on her first phase where you need good reflexes and luck, or her bouncing orbs that are hard to dodge since they bounce off the bottom of the screen too).

My Highly Responsive to Prayers run isn't doing much better. I'm getting wrecked by the game on Easy and can only get to ShinGyoku consistently. I either die at YuugenMagann or Mima or one of the stages leading up to it. This might take a bit longer than I expected (I was hoping to have the PC98 games cleared by February since I was just gonna do them on Easy, but eh...)

I think I might give Seihou 1 a go (maybe not a Clear though) since it's technically before EoSD comes out. I'll just have to see how my 1 and 2 clears go

shockdude

Welp so a few days ago I impulse-bought this thing. It was $65 on Amazon at the time; it's $80 now. Gonna have some fun with it when it arrives.

Been playing Touhou on and off, mostly EoSD Lunatic. Got a 2CC recently, which is my personal best so far, but it still needs work (22 misses lol).

Zweizer

Banned
Y'all should read the Touhou-doujinshi-artist-turned-pro Hikawa Shou (also known as Saku Saku Tei)'s Shinozaki-san Ki wo Ota Shika ni! (Don't Become an Otaku, Shinozaki!) if you haven't yet. Yuri and references galore.

Latest translated chapter is a feast of Touhou cosplays even.

Evilisk

Gonna do my write up on MS now. I was gonna do it when I finished another game, but I'm just stuck on HRtP and SoEW. HRtP is way harder to me, but SoEW's randomness with its boss patterns has made the game a lot tougher than it should be. I've started bombing and then bum rushing bosses during invincibility to make the fights shorter and it's helped with the sub-bosses but Meira, Marisa and Mima are still really rough.

I did start prepping for the Windows games and ran through EoSD to unlock Stage Practice for all the shottypes. The game is a actually lot less intimidating because of my Mystic Square run. EoSD is still difficult (and it's much tougher in a way that the PC98 games aren't) but MS and all of its streaming has made me realize how much streaming there is in EoSD too. Its made a couple of spellcards I've always struggled with a lot more manageable.

Touhou 5: Mystic Square

Since I held out on this write up, my thoughts are a bit jumbled.

The main takeaway I had is that it's really, really close to being a modern Touhou game. Boss movement basically seems to be up to modern Touhou game standards and it's surprising that it basically took only 1 game to get it there.

A quartet of playable characters with only a single shottype each was also introduced here, though it would be tweaked further in Imperishable Night (which would change your shottype when you focused). Interestingly, ZUN has started to favor this in more recent games (Ten Desires and Legacy of Lunatic Kingdom).

There was also the whole alternating Stage 4 bosses discussion on the other page. While the mechanic has definitely stayed in the series (unlike what I initially thought), it hasn't really been as pronounced as it is in Mystic Square. Yuki and Mai are a complete package; they're both unique, they get individual music themes and also have new dialogue and spellcards, and while later games have seen some of these covered, Yuki and Mai are the only ones to get the full treatment.

As for the actual game... I still don't like it. It doesn't have the novelty of the other PC98 games; ironically it's a bit too close to the modern games for my liking, while still lacking in certain mechanics like visible hitbox, auto collect at POC and most importantly, a practice mode.

It also still retains the PC98 problem of being really hard to read. Two egregious examples are Yuuka on Stage 1 (who has green shots on a green background) and Stage 4 for any character (which has blue enemy bullets on a blue background). While I was able to get by on most stages knowing that the enemies can be streamed, later stages on Normal just had to be bombed, and I imagine it's a bigger problem on the harder difficulties.

Also, as novel as Yuki and Mai are, I ultimately found it to them to be frustrating since the following battle depends on who you kill. I think it would have been more tolerable with a Practice Mode (but of course there isn't any). I did enjoy Shinki's battle though (except for those homing blobs, I loathe, loathe, loathe those homing blobs)

Visually I thought the game was really drab (and poorly color co-ordinated). Compared to the colorfulness of LLS, it felt there was way too much red, black and blue in the backgrounds. Musically it's okay but my biggest complaint is that the Stage themes are better than all the boss themes (which is not ok imo). I still don't care for the characters either, despite being super interested in MS' cast before I actually played the PC98 games.

While I definitely appreciate the game within the context of the series and evolution of its gameplay, I can't say I like Mystic Square all that much on its own.

microfolk

Welp so a few days ago I impulse-bought this thing. It was $65 on Amazon at the time; it's $80 now. Gonna have some fun with it when it arrives.

Been playing Touhou on and off, mostly EoSD Lunatic. Got a 2CC recently, which is my personal best so far, but it still needs work (22 misses lol).

I've been playing STGs with an arcade stick since the beginning of the year and still can't use it with Touhou for the life of me, I'm just too used to the keyboard controls aha.
Still the arcade stick is so much fun, I'm sure you'll have a great time! And good luck with your Lunatic clear (is this your first?), I should totally come back to Touhou to get all the Hard\Extra clears and starting looking at Lunatic ones... But Battle Garegga is just too fun. orz

shockdude

I've been playing STGs with an arcade stick since the beginning of the year and still can't use it with Touhou for the life of me, I'm just too used to the keyboard controls aha.
Still the arcade stick is so much fun, I'm sure you'll have a great time! And good luck with your Lunatic clear (is this your first?), I should totally come back to Touhou to get all the HardExtra clears and starting looking at Lunatic ones... But Battle Garegga is just too fun. orz
The arcade stick is even more fun than I imagined lol.
I was already remapping my keyboard for Touhou so that movement was with the left hand and shot/focus/bomb was with the right hand. As a result, I adjusted to using stick really quickly and I can already use it at a level close to when I use a keyboard.
Thing is I'm already considering replacing the joystick with a Seimitsu LS-56 as the current joystick is too loose for my taste. And if I'm replacing the joystick I might as well replace the buttons with Sanwa OBSF30s and then suddenly things start getting expensive whoo.

EoSD will be my first Lunatic clear if I can pull it off.

Evilisk

Still haven't done 1 and 2, but I'm gonna start moving on to Embodiment of Scarlet Devil now

1, I think I'm gonna keep cracking at it. I just really need to practice and get used to the game. 2 though, eh I'm done with it (for now). 1cc'ing all the PC98 games wasn't as big as priority as just experiencing them (I'm way more focused on finally 1cc'ing the Windows games). I feel like I've seen more than enough to write about 2 (and I don't want to spend too much time on 2 as I've still got 9 main games to complete and only 9 months to complete them in)

Touhou 2: Story of Eastern Wonderland

Where to start with this... Anyway, it's a pretty archaic and basic game (but that's completely expected given its standing in the series). Gameplay wise, it's a very slow, punishing and random game. It's slow as the first few stages are very slow to get going. It's punishing because there's no auto collect and there's usually not enough power dropped in the middle of a bossfight. And the randomness is from the resource spawning (which seems to be really inconsistent) and the later boss fights.

Bosses move in strict patterns, there are unique unkillable enemies in this game, there's no shift to focus and there are some context sensitive bosses in this game (even besides stuck down bosses like the Tank, Evil Eye and the 5 Rocks, the perspective on Meira's battle looks like she's on the ground).

I guess that's about it. There's not a whole lot to say on the gameplay front; SoEW is the first shooter in the series and ZUN was still learning with this game. I was pleasantly surprised by the music though, especially when I fought Marisa the first time. Didn't realize Love Colored Master Spark was a remix until now.

Storywise, I find it amusing that the game's characters all have a beef with Reimu for one reason or another. I still actually like the characters here because, compared to Mystic Square's swathe witches and/or demons, everyone's fairly unique. Meira in particular remains unique in all of the PC98 games (as nobody else is an androgynous human swordswoman, whereas engineers, spiritual beings and magicians are in abundance). It's also interesting that Reimu needed Genji just because it's consistent with HRtP Reimu being unable to fly. Anyway that's about it. Not too much to talk about.

=========

I don't really have anything in-depth of 1 yet so now impressions/breakdown. I haven't touched the higher difficulties or even the later bosses so it'd be really premature to write something now. Music is pretty good and atmospheric so far though. The Seihou series, I’m not really gonna touch, main reason being I can’t get all of the games to work on my computer

Since I've been able to get to Stage 4 consistently during my EoSD practice runs, I'm kinda hoping to have some decent progress (or even one Normal clear) on EoSD by next week. I'm planning to do Normal clears for all shottypes (unlike the PC98 games), and maybe the Extra if I feel ambitious enough

Evilisk

Posting about EoSD. I still haven't gotten that 1cc yet, though I'm starting to get the hang of Stage 4 and bits of Stage 5.

Since this was my first Touhou game, and didn't really have a frame of reference for this compared to the other shooters, I've got a lot of comments/impressions.

Gameplay
-Reimu's homing shot feels so awful in this game. I've never liked her homing shots in the Windows games (I've always preferred Sanae's version, especially in LOLK) but it barely feels like you're doing extra damage even when you're under
-There's soo much streaming involved in this game (not that I mind, it's made the game a lot easier)
-Graze being a part of the score is great
-I really like the flow of the game. Stage 1 is ridiculously easy, but I like that only 4 is the longest stage in the main game and that 5 is short but hard (for reference, I've been playing IN and Stage 3 to Stage 6 there is such a slog)
-The difficulty feels good. I've never liked the patented "first three stages are easy, difficulty bump at stage 4" since I tend to lose focus. This keeps me concentrated from Stage 2 at least

Specific Spellcards
-Princess Undyne is so stupidly hard for a Normal spellcard. I even tried it on Hard, and the Hard version I found WAY easier
-Star of David is similarly brutal. You just can't touch those blue orbs.

Other Stuff
-The game tends to bug out when I play it windowed out, which has been a bit annoying
-I really like Marisa and Reimu's art in this game. Though the character art just seems to get steadily worse as the game goes on lol. I noticed that Stage 6 Sakuya has her defeated sprite when she does her spellcard, which is kinda funny. And Marisa being disguised as a maid is pretty amusing in the context of the story
-Septette, Shanghai Teahouse, Shanghai Alice of Meiji and Locked Girl are just as amazing as I remember them being.
-I just realized there was an alternate sound option for the music. That's helped the monotony of replaying games a little. The Stage 3 themes in particularly are soo different.

I'm kinda starting to rethink doing all the shottypes (and the Extra). Maybe just 1 per character will do, I really overestimated the difficulty (probably because I was feeling full of myself after completing 4 and 5 lol). Though I also forgot about the fighters too (I've done the flying ones but not IaMP, SWR and Hisoutensoku) and I really want to fully complete those (partly because I'm more confident at fighters, mostly because those are way more story driven)

So yeah, we'll have to see.

======

I also went through the Wiki to do extra readings on the PC98 games and discovered a bunch of cool stuff

-Tabula Rasa from TH3 is a pre-Touhou track that got put into the game
-TH4 had different Stage 1 themes (I knew that the backgrounds were different for both characters, but I never realized the music changed too)
-ZUN only did music and something else for Seihou, and EOSD was his first bonafide Windows effort.
-ZUN seemed to already have a pretty good idea of Reimu and Marisa's personalities by LLS, while going by the musical comments in 3, he wasn't quite sure what to do with Mima. At the very least, Marisa being more childlike than Reimu is probably the reason she's canonically shorter than Reimu

demidar

I'd echo the comments about Shanghai Teahouse and Locked Girl. I feel like Locked Girl is the perfect theme for Patchy, it sounds very... annoyed, which is how I imagine Patchy would feel :p Septette is one of my favourite tracks in the entire series. Shanghai Alice of Meiji 13... I forgot how that sounded so I don't quite put it on the same terms as the others. But I'd also like to add the first stage theme as well, Soul as Red as a Ground Cherry. It made a very strong impression on me. And also Luna Dial despite how crappy it sounds, because I like those synth drums.

Speaking of gameplay, did you find Reimu's movespeed too slow? I went back to that game after I had played the later games and she feels like molasses. Also grazing is pretty fun, particularly on Meiling's stage. All those line shots are delicious.

I should go back and try and beat it on hard. Though I haven't touched UFO in months T_T

I think the weirdest thing about going from PC-98 to Windows is the speed of the bonuses. At first I couldn't handle them at all in Mystic Square, but then I understood which ones were the more important at a given time, and started integrating that knowledge in the Windows games.

And I agree about Princess Undine. Screw Princess Undine.

ibyea

Banned
Yeah I have decided never to try homing shots for Reimu after realizing it takes forever to beat later bosses in PCB. At first it makes things easier but then in later stages it makes things way more difficult by having the bosses take forever to defeat.

My preference is actually IN and not have individual stages be freaking long like stage 4 PCB and EoSD. Weirdly that tests my patience more.

Princess Undine is indeed ridiculous. But then I expect that sort of thing from Touhou, where an attack or two is way easier in hard than in normal.

This is where ZUN's art just take a nose dive and doesn't recover at all until DDC. His design sense on the other hand is pretty great. I also really like Reimu and Marisa's redesign from PC 98.

Yeah they are great tracks, although Septette is sort of meh for me at the beginning. My favorite track for EoSD is Pocket Watch of Blood.

Evilisk

Yeah I have decided never to try homing shots for Reimu after realizing it takes forever to beat later bosses in PCB. At first it makes things easier but then in later stages it makes things way more difficult by having the bosses take forever to defeat.

My preference is actually IN and not have individual stages be freaking long like stage 4 PCB and EoSD. Weirdly that tests my patience more.

[..]

This is where ZUN's art just take a nose dive and doesn't recover at all until DDC. His design sense on the other hand is pretty great. I also really like Reimu and Marisa's redesign from PC 98.

I actually liked TD's art. And yeah, I easily prefer ZUN coming up with great designs with bad art, vs. PC98's cutesy and consistent art but extremely generic designs.

I dislike IN's Stage 4 because, it IS short, but the bosses there are really tough (for me). Marisa just slays me. I have to put so much concentration against her, I think I find Reisen easier than her. And then it's followed by Stage 5, which has a far longer stage portion which is even more draining. That combo just leaves me mentally drained anytime I do an IN attempt and I just dislike that because there's still Eirin/Kaguya to have to worry about

I'd echo the comments about Shanghai Teahouse and Locked Girl. I feel like Locked Girl is the perfect theme for Patchy, it sounds very... annoyed, which is how I imagine Patchy would feel :p Septette is one of my favourite tracks in the entire series. Shanghai Alice of Meiji 13... I forgot how that sounded so I don't quite put it on the same terms as the others. But I'd also like to add the first stage theme as well, Soul as Red as a Ground Cherry. It made a very strong impression on me. And also Luna Dial despite how crappy it sounds, because I like those synth drums.

Speaking of gameplay, did you find Reimu's movespeed too slow? I went back to that game after I had played the later games and she feels like molasses. Also grazing is pretty fun, particularly on Meiling's stage. All those line shots are delicious.

I should go back and try and beat it on hard. Though I haven't touched UFO in months T_T

Yeah Locked Girl is a pretty perfect theme. Even after having played EoSD so much this week, I still get entranced by whenever I get to her fight.

For me, Locked Girl was one of the first themes where I was like, "this theme is really damn good". I even tried to learn it on piano because I love that theme so much (though I can only play very basic version)

As for Reimu's speed, it hasn't bugged me. Buuut I've been playing ReimuB almost exclusively so yeah lol (avoiding ReimuA is also a reason why I think I'll just do one clear for Marisa and one for Reimu)

ibyea

Banned
I actually liked TD's art. And yeah, I easily prefer ZUN coming up with great designs with bad art, vs. PC98's cutesy and consistent art but extremely generic designs.

I dislike IN's Stage 4 because, it IS short, but the bosses there are really tough (for me). Marisa just slays me. I have to put so much concentration against her, I think I find Reisen easier than her. And then it's followed by Stage 5, which has a far longer stage portion which is even more draining. That combo just leaves me mentally drained anytime I do an IN attempt and I just dislike that because there's still Eirin/Kaguya to have to worry about

Heh, yeah stage 4 IN bosses are ridiculously hard, with Marisa being the harder one.

Zweizer

Banned
Locked Girl is my favorite EoSD theme, and one of the best ones of the series.

Not a single note wasted or that feels jarring compared to the rest.

It makes me sad that there's relatively few remixes of it.

Coming in here to say that Shanghai Alice in Meiji 17 is a great theme in EoSD imo

doesn't hurt that the pretty rainbow colors give you a wonderful visual during that boss fight too :)

I haven't 1CC'd EoSD on Normal even ;~; Sometimes I wish I was good at shmups like some of you guys are, but then I'm glad I even find them fun at all. They really seem to be an acquired taste.

Evilisk

Well my EoSD run just hit into a bit of a snag

The game is crashing my computer now, usually at around Stage 4 (though it can happen earlier)

I'm gonna admit, I hadn't been making a lot of progress this week (I'd switched to Reimu's Homing Shot just because I was sick of dealing with Princess Undyne) but now I can't clear the game at all (let alone without continues)

I'm gonna try to see what I can do about it. I don't really want to skip the game (because I REALLY want to 1cc the game before moving on). I guess if I really can't do anything about the game crashing, maybe I'll just find a save with the Extra unlocked, and just have a stab at that and then post my game breakdown/final thoughts. But yeah, this is a bit of a wrench in the works :/

=============

In terms of other Touhou related stuff, I did watch this Boss Rush video featuring the characters from LOLK and found it to be pretty cool. I thought Hecatia's gimmick was actually cool (she still has the dumbest outfit though :p)

=============

Also while there hasn't been confirmation if there's a new character on ULiL PS4, over on MotK it's been mentioned that if ZUN were to put a new character in, it'd make people think "something has begun"

While there's a very obvious character I'd like for ULiL PS4, I did put some thought into what characters that would be interesting to put in

I think Yuugi, Kaguya or Ringo would be the most interesting picks

Yuugi moving above ground would be notable in of itself (since she's a Deva and it'd be a major shift in status quo for her to go above ground). We would get to see dialogue between her and Kasen happen if it was her. We'd also get a real hard hitting character (something that's been lacking in 13.5/14.5)

Kaguya was left on the cutting room floor (alongside Wriggle) which makes me think she could be up next. Unlike Wriggle though, she's fairly powerful and her acting without Reisen or Eirin could be notable. It also seems like the perfect chance to finally let fans see Mokou vs. Kaguya in a game

Ringo is my dark horse pick. I've heard Sagume being playable has been a bit popular. I think the reasoning is that Sagume is mentioned to have been involved with the Occult Balls, so that would give her an immediate story tie but idk, I don't think ZUN would just put in a Lunarian God as playable. It could be fanon, but I'm finding it easier to picture any big shot Lunarian sending out a Moon Rabbit instead (and thanks to LoLK, we have two, Ringo and Seiran)

I think Ringo could work since unlike Seiran, her profile seems to hint at her being a bit smarter/stronger than she actually lets on (since it notes she didn't have to win against the player, and she also seemed aware of the Lunarian's doing something to the Capital, though decides not to ask questions). She also seems to have her own agenda (since she mentions she's interested in staying in Gensokyo, and allowed the player to pass to indirectly investigate the plot).

It does seem a bit unlikely (more likely that I'm overthinking things; I've admittedly taken a recent interest in Ringo) but idk, I'd like to see her because there's a lot of potential there, and also because I don't really want to see Hecatia/Junko/Sagume since they all seem a bit too powerful/important to get involved in Gensokyo.

I spent way too much time typing this all up)

HGH

Banned
Nah, that's good theorizing. Also amusing, ZUN said he's doing his best to prevent the game from being voice acted. No ZUN voiced Marisa for you!

As for your EoSD problem. Have you tried switching the game to Windows XP compatibility mode? That seems to solve a lot of problems in older games for me.

shockdude

That EoSD crashing problem is weird.
What OS are you running? If Windows 10, are you using the DX8-DX9 converter?
Are you using an English patch?
Are you using vpatch?
Is the game installed to a folder that doesn't require admin access (e.g. not Program Files)?

Hifuu Esoteric Record got a bunch of professional seiyuu on board. Releasing on Reitaisai 13.

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm28543106

http://thvideo.tv/v/th5728

All I can say is, wow. It may be April fools, but unless they got really good impersonators, this one is real.

Seiyuu list :
Merry (Hanazawa Kana)
Renko (Kitamura Eri)
Kaguya (Noto Mamiko)
Eirin (Shimamoto Sumi)
Yorihime (Kawasumi Ayako)
Toyohime (Tomatsu Haruka)
Tsukuyomi (Shibata Hidekatsu )
Shiku ( Inoue Kazuhiko)
Sasarae (Koyama Rikiya)
Yukari (Inuoe Kikuko)
Suika (Shimizu Ai)
Yuyuko (Kayano Ai)
Reimu (Asami Imai)
Marisa (Asumi Kana)

That's a whole lot of professional seiyuu right there. Holy crap...

Only Yuyuko and Yukari have their roles reprised from A Summer Day's Dream.

Evilisk

That EoSD crashing problem is weird.
What OS are you running? If Windows 10, are you using the DX8-DX9 converter?
Are you using an English patch?
Are you using vpatch?
Is the game installed to a folder that doesn't require admin access (e.g. not Program Files)?

I'm using Windows XP (yeah, I'm still using a computer with XP )

I am using an English patched version of the game

And yeah, it's not in an admin access folder. Does that have an effect on the game?

As for your EoSD problem. Have you tried switching the game to Windows XP compatibility mode? That seems to solve a lot of problems in older games for me.

I might try using compatibility mode

microfolk

Coming in here to say that Shanghai Alice in Meiji 17 is a great theme in EoSD imo

doesn't hurt that the pretty rainbow colors give you a wonderful visual during that boss fight too :)

I haven't 1CC'd EoSD on Normal even ;~; Sometimes I wish I was good at shmups like some of you guys are, but then I'm glad I even find them fun at all. They really seem to be an acquired taste.

Please don't give up! Just two years ago I was in the same situation as you are right now, feeling completely lost and hopeless at the whole shmupping thing, but thanks to this thread I decided to learn to play this genre and managed to 1cc all the windows Touhou in Normal, starting from EoSD!
It's just really a matter of keep practicing, learning from your own error in order to always bettering yourself but first of all you've got to enjoy the process.
Or at least this is how it works for me, and I've been pretty deep into STG hell for the last couple of years now~

The arcade stick is even more fun than I imagined lol.
I was already remapping my keyboard for Touhou so that movement was with the left hand and shot/focus/bomb was with the right hand. As a result, I adjusted to using stick really quickly and I can already use it at a level close to when I use a keyboard.
Thing is I'm already considering replacing the joystick with a Seimitsu LS-56 as the current joystick is too loose for my taste. And if I'm replacing the joystick I might as well replace the buttons with Sanwa OBSF30s and then suddenly things start getting expensive whoo.

EoSD will be my first Lunatic clear if I can pull it off.

I've got a Seimitsu LS-32 and I love it, the LS-56 sounds even better... I went for Seimitsu's buttons too since I didn't want them to be as responsive as Sanwa's seems to be, I like to feel the button throw when I press them. :p Making a stick might be pricey but the results are really worth it.

shockdude

I'm using Windows XP (yeah, I'm still using a computer with XP )

I am using an English patched version of the game

And yeah, it's not in an admin access folder. Does that have an effect on the game?

I might try using compatibility mode
yeah I dunno. I'd try reinstalling the game. Backup score.dat and th06e.cfg, reinstall, copy them back when you're done.
I'd also set up vpatch regardless because of the huge input lag difference.
I've got a Seimitsu LS-32 and I love it, the LS-56 sounds even better... I went for Seimitsu's buttons too since I didn't want them to be as responsive as Sanwa's seems to be, I like to feel the button throw when I press them. :p Making a stick might be pricey but the results are really worth it.
There was a flash sale on FocusAttack.com last saturday so I bought stuff, whoo.
I chickened out of the LS-56 as I wasn't sure if I wanted a high-tension stick as apparently they can be tiring to use. The LS-40 has identical deadzone, engage, and throw to the LS-56, and uses the same spring as the LS-32. Also the LS-40 is compatible with the Mayflash V2 out of the box.
Similarly only OBSF30s are compatible with the V2 out of the box; getting seimitsus would require me to file down the metal plate. Been practicing hovering my fingers over the buttons and it's not bad.
We'll see what happens, should be fun.

Top Bottom