• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Touhou Community Thread | Highly Responsive to Posts

dadjumper

Oh hey, a Touhou thread! I really want to get into this series, but I have a mac. Are there any recent Touhou games I can play on here? I know I can emulate the PC-98 ones (which I already have) but I'd like to try out the more complex stuff.

dadjumper

HE3xXFG6YVxAJvZvDXV_ll8kmr10JybmzQKcwqa1fMU

Cool, thanks!

shockdude

Oh hey, a Touhou thread! I really want to get into this series, but I have a mac. Are there any recent Touhou games I can play on here? I know I can emulate the PC-98 ones (which I already have) but I'd like to try out the more complex stuff.
In all seriousness, Touhou games are all designed for Windows, but running mainline Touhou games on Mac is certainly possible. I've seen people on Youtube play Touhou games on what is clearly OSX. Heck I first started playing Touhou when I was using Linux on a crappy laptop.

Unfortunately I have no idea what it takes to run Touhou on OSX these days, and I'd recommend getting a copy of Windows anyways.

dadjumper

In all seriousness, Touhou games are all designed for Windows, but running mainline Touhou games on Mac is certainly possible. I've seen people on Youtube play Touhou games on what is clearly OSX. Heck I first started playing Touhou when I was using Linux on a crappy laptop.

Unfortunately I have no idea what it takes to run Touhou on OSX these days, and I'd recommend getting a copy of Windows anyways.
After some research, it looks like they actually run perfectly fine in WINE, which I didn't expect for some reason.

Evilisk

So apparently there's gonna be another Chinese fan animation, Touhou Hakureisou

To keep it short, it's not gonna be serious, the setting is an alternate universe and apparently, it's gonna be heavy on the memes. I don't know if it's true (I don't keep track of or care for memes all that much), though I did notice pretty obvious stuff like Jojo stuff. I also noticed they're using the Noukarin and Okamisty outfits of Yuuka and Mystia as their main outfits, which is interesting.

Personally, I'm interested just because I'm gonna get to see the characters past Touhou 11 in an anime. They even got the Tsukumogami from DDC in there for more than one shot (though I don't like their version of Raiko :/)

Reishiki

Banned
I tried to get back on the Touhou train with LoLK. I am amazingly out of practice. Doremy reminded me swiftly that I shouldn't try playing danmaku shooters at four in the morning.

IZUqWhB.png

Evilisk

NOTE: To avoid double posting, I've decided to just edit this post with my final impressions instead.

Touhou Suimusou ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
(I don't think this is would count as a 7.5 picture due to Aya's presence, but this is good enough)

I finally got all the Good Endings for all the characters on Normal. I even went out of my way to 1cc the game on Lunatic, which was satisfying (though not all that much fun. Youmu's clone spellcard and Suika's Pandemonium spellcard in particular ruined so many attempts).

After completing this game, I don't think my thoughts have changed. I think mechanically the game, is really impressive. The spirit gauge, spellcards and how they work, the distance based normals, the dash/melee/projectile dynamic etc. all these mechanics come together really well.

At the same time, the game is very hard to just pick up and play. There's a bit too much going on, the roster just doesn't interest me and there's just not too much incentive to keep playing this game by myself.

Overall, I find SWR way more fun to play. That said, I appreciate IaMP's game design a lot more (and it's not JUST because there's no weather/gimmicks)

Other Comments:
-The AI in this game is so inconsistent. Yukari for example, I had no trouble just dash attacking during her final spellcard. Yet for every other character, she'd teleport all the time like a troll.

-Following on the last comment, the AI is really poor at handling certain moves. Stuff like Patchouli's far-standing A, or Yukari's far-crouching A let you completely cheese certain characters, even on Lunatic difficulty.

-I didn't like the music. Again it's probably because Septette, Locked Girl and other themes are tracks where I just prefer the originals, but none of the tracks did anything for me. I did like the original music composed for this game like Broken Moon, Onigashima in Fairyland and the pre-battle tracks but that was about it.

-I still dislike most of the roster (I'm not really big on the Classic Windows era characters) but I really warmed up to Patchouli and Alice by the end. I liked Patchouli since I really like keepaway characters (and Patchouli stands out as one in a roster full of projectile heavy characters). Alice was surprisingly fun to play though. I was dreading doing her story mode but I had the most fun with her.

-The spritework for this game is fantastic. I do think this series' fighters have great and underrated sprites in general, but I really like the spritework in this game specifically. Youmu, Patchouli, Sakuya and Suika look fantastic.

Still working on clearing 7. I'm starting to prep for 8 as well

Absolutely looking forward to this.

Strange it seems ZUN is going with some Christianity related themes this time? Apple tree on cover, old Adam etcetc. Maybe there's a Garden of Eden situation going on?

shockdude

Seems like now's as good of a time to bump the thread as any.

Dateless Bar "Old Adam" came out on August 13. It's good stuff.
If you get this album, don't just listen to each track one by one; read the album's story as you listen to each track. Although this strategy applies to all of ZUN's CDs, the story+music combo is especially powerful with this particular album.

Some news for ULiL PS4 came out today. Highlights include Reisen and a new OST CD.
The fangame "Touhou Koubutou V" will have VR support.
Also, officially licensed Hori RAP4 fight sticks.
Edit: Better pictures from Dengeki Online

Shengar

Should I buy Touhou Genso Rondo: Bullet Ballet for PS4? It's available on my regular local store, and I'm curious what's this all about.

Evilisk

Super Best Friends/Sw1tcher did Touhou 12.3 for Friday Night Fisticuffs (I honestly didn't think they'd get around to playing this)

I'm glad that Woolie understands that Aya is the best/most fun to play in 10.5/12.3

Though it's annoying that they missed out on Suika lol. Even when they went out of their way to not miss any characters at the end

Some news for ULiL PS4 came out today. Highlights include Reisen and a new OST CD.

I'm pretty excited for the new soundtrack. I didn't really like 14.5's soundtrack (Tasofro music was good, and I liked ZUN's new themes, but the character themes were really hit or miss)

Do we know what's going on with the new tracks? Like are they going with different circles again, or is just gonna be done by Tasofro/ZUN?

DotProduct

Neo Member
Nice to see that the very best maker of fan games for Touhou, Twilight Frontier, is having some more success. They've been making awesome games for over a decade now, even if games invoking Touhou has come to dominate their output.

As an EDF fanboy, one of my personal favourites of the Touhou-related games they've made is Dynamarisa 3D:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgOWBIm_iDQ

Personally my preferred Touhou fangame recently is Gensou Ningyou Enbu, otherwise known as "Touhoumon". It feels like it's a nice alternative to Pokemon rather than trying to build off of its existing gimmicks, using a new type chart and puppets to make a different, enjoyable flavor of creature battling. Plus, the soundtrack is great.

Speaking of great music, it is a crime that we haven't seen Yuuka since PoFV. I want more remixes of her theme from that game. Why couldn't she be in ULiL PS4 instead of dumb ol' moon ears? :(

preta

Personally my preferred Touhou fangame recently is Gensou Ningyou Enbu, otherwise known as "Touhoumon". It feels like it's a nice alternative to Pokemon rather than trying to build off of its existing gimmicks, using a new type chart and puppets to make a different, enjoyable flavor of creature battling. Plus, the soundtrack is great.

Speaking of great music, it is a crime that we haven't seen Yuuka since PoFV. I want more remixes of her theme from that game. Why couldn't she be in ULiL PS4 instead of dumb ol' moon ears? :(

Nah. I much prefer her LLS stage and boss themes... though there aren't enough remixes of those either. There are a few good ones though.

LLS has my favorite soundtrack in the series. I think the PC-98 era in general was when ZUN was at the top of his game. So many classics and should-be-classics. Eternal Shrine Maiden, The Legend of KAGE, Swordsman of a Distant Star, Hakurei ~ Eastern Wind, End of Daylight, Complete Darkness, Vanishing Dream ~ Lost Dream, Strawberry Crisis, Witching Dream, Bad Apple, Alice Maestra, Maiden's Cappricio, Lotus Love, Dream Land, Cute Devil ~ Innocence, Romantic Children, Legendary Illusion ~ Infinite Being, Alice in Wonderland, The Grimoire of Alice...

demidar

But that's part of the fun :p

It's not all depressing; the game has a "good" ending after a 1CC, and that ending becomes even better after you
beat the Extra and Phantasm stages

That's a good one too.

I'm flattered you think I'm good enough to beat a Phantasm stage.

Ha ha.

;_;

Nah. I much prefer her LLS stage and boss themes... though there aren't enough remixes of those either. There are a few good ones though.
I'm not quite familiar with PC-98 stuff, but they have some quality tunes for their time. My personal Touhou ost of the month is going to IN though, because I can't get enough of every song in it. Not a single stinker there in terms of music if you ask me.

And frankly I just want more Yuuka, when's her nendo coming out?
I'm flattered you think I'm good enough to beat a Phantasm stage.

Ha ha.

;_;
Isn't CtC supposed to be crazy hard even by Touhou standards? You aren't alone there friend.

I haven't even cleared any extra stages yet ;~;

shockdude

man y'all should just go ahead and play CtC.

LLS has my favorite soundtrack in the series. I think the PC-98 era in general was when ZUN was at the top of his game. So many classics and should-be-classics. Eternal Shrine Maiden, The Legend of KAGE, Swordsman of a Distant Star, Hakurei ~ Eastern Wind, End of Daylight, Complete Darkness, Vanishing Dream ~ Lost Dream, Strawberry Crisis, Witching Dream, Bad Apple, Alice Maestra, Maiden's Cappricio, Lotus Love, Dream Land, Cute Devil ~ Innocence, Romantic Children, Legendary Illusion ~ Infinite Being, Alice in Wonderland, The Grimoire of Alice...
all of the bolded tracks appear in CtC in some form.
And frankly I just want more Yuuka, when's her nendo coming out?

Isn't CtC supposed to be crazy hard even by Touhou standards? You aren't alone there friend.

I haven't even cleared any extra stages yet ;~;
more Yuuka, Normal Difficulty.

lol.

In all seriousness, yeah the PC-98 tracks are good stuff. The Positive and Negative, Magic Mirror, & Dream Express are also good tracks.

Evilisk

Since I've been less busy recently, I've started trying to Normal 1cc PCB again

I'm starting to get used to Stage 4 and Youmu, but I'm still not accustomed to the Prismrivers.

I get really confused with what patterns to expect. I know that the battle is affected by which sister you kill during one of the early spellcards, but the opening non-spells for the fight are also different right? (I always get confused about this because I hop around, practicing with different characters). I'm planning to get it done with MarisaB, just because I prefer having a bomb with a long duration.

On an unrelated note, I noticed they were selling Gensou Rondo at my local EB Games. It's not really important (it's at full price so I wouldn't have gotten it anyway, also I still don't have a PS4 yet) but it's just still surreal (to me) that we're getting Japanese fangames all the way here in Australia

demidar

I thought I was the only Australian here! It's cool to see someone else post from this isolated, backwaters country.

I also checked online and it seems JB Hi-Fi is selling it too. Touhou is finally legit lol

Haven't posted in here in a while so I should post an update

I picked up Ten Desires, Double Dealing Character, Immaterial and Missing Power and Great Fairy Wars all at once. Haven't tried DDC yet since I don't want to split my attention and efforts, but I have dabbled in TD. It's so easy compared to UFO, which I am still trying to 1-cc on Hard. I completely forgot that Desire Drive was in this game, such a great track, Zun really knocked it out of the park with this one. But speaking of the difficulty, I managed to get up to Miko within an hour of playing which is lol-worthy (partially thanks to the Trance system). I haven't really had much trouble until I hit Tojiko though. The spell cards are a lot more creative here though, which is really nice to see. It's also nice to see Youmu reach coveted MC status (for one game).

I've also been playing through IaMP, gotten through Reimu, Marisa and Youmu's story. I feel like the input buffer on wakeup is a bit too short, and not having grabs be a standard move is super weird to me (I know a few characters have command grabs), but grazing through patterns is pretty fun. I would love to play someone but I heard the bootleg netcode is pretty bad.

On to UFO, I've been mainly practicing Byakuren. On a good run, I can get up to her final spell card, which doesn't seem too bad until the latter half (which is the same for all other final spell cards I suppose). But yeah, she's crazy hard, and I'm super weak to lasers. However I need to learn how to deal with Murasa's survival spell card (god I hate survival spell cards) and almost all of Shou's boss fight and they take about 4-6 bombs each to defeat. Ichirin is still a bit dicey for me, sometimes I can get through without a scratch, other times I die 3 times in a row. I can see the end though.

That makes 3 Aussies with me, though I don't post in here too often.

EB needs to implement a notification system, I had Gensou Limited Ed. on preorder but when I went to pick it up I was told (apparently) all the Aus LE's were cancelled and the date pushed back 2 weeks. Should probably go back to pick it up at some stage.
I didn't particularly enjoy TD's trance system, pretty sure I never used it unless I got hit and it just happened. Seconding the opinions on desire drive, definitely the most memorable from TD.
Fairy wars is my favored of the alternate shooters, but I'm flat out terrible at Aya's games so that may be why. Unique system that a toned down version could totally work as Cirno's shot type if she ever made it into a mainline. Pretty great music in it too.

I would love to play someone but I heard the bootleg netcode is pretty bad.
Haven't played IaMP in a long while so if you want to steamroll someone.. Never played online but I'm sure the netcode runs better than our Aussie internet (Cmon NBN)

Evilisk

So I was just testing it, and yep the opening non-spells are different per character. Not only that, but the order of the Prismrivers in the first spellcard is different per character too. It's annoying since I'm actually really bad at remembering which sister is which (like in general, not just in-game. They're next to the PC98 characters to me in terms of "consistently struggling to remember these character's names")

I completely forgot that Desire Drive was in this game, such a great track, Zun really knocked it out of the park with this one. But speaking of the difficulty, I managed to get up to Miko within an hour of playing which is lol-worthy (partially thanks to the Trance system). I haven't really had much trouble until I hit Tojiko though. The spell cards are a lot more creative here though, which is really nice to see. It's also nice to see Youmu reach coveted MC status (for one game).

I've also been playing through IaMP, gotten through Reimu, Marisa and Youmu's story. I feel like the input buffer on wakeup is a bit too short, and not having grabs be a standard move is super weird to me (I know a few characters have command grabs), but grazing through patterns is pretty fun. I would love to play someone but I heard the bootleg netcode is pretty bad.

Desire Drive is a pretty good track yeah. But I actually like Let's All Live In A Lovely Cemetery over it in terms of Stage themes). I actually really enjoy Ten Desire's tracks, personally. Maybe they're not the best the series has to offer, but I find it rather fun to listen to when I'm either playing or listening to it on my phone (I just wouldn't, say, pick Shanghai Teahouse, Capital City of Flowers in the Sky or Faith is for the Transient People

My personal gripes with the soundtrack are just that I actively dislike tracks from TD. (for reference, from 6 to 11, there are tracks that I don't love but still like, while 12 has some rather boring tracks. 13, however is the one post-98, mainline game with tracks I just dislike).

True Administrator is incredibly bland for a final boss theme (at least the TD rendition; the HM rendition is bloody good), I dislike Kyoko's themes, the EX Stage theme and I just dislike Yuyuko's TD Boss theme. I also really dislike how bland some of the Trance remixes are (Yoshika is the only one with a Trance theme that sounds different. It also sounds great if you play it together with the original theme).

(I wasn't expecting to type up this many paragraphs on the topic...)

As for TH7.5, I actually played (and finished all of it) earlier this year. I wasn't bothered by the lack of grabs, though to be fair I don't instinctively go for them in fighting games (I'm used to playing against the AI, and I'm also used to AI always teching my grabs every time lol, which is why I tend not to use grabs)

Grazing is a pretty satisfying mechanic though, yeah. As somebody that prefers to play zoning in most fighting games, like Sagat in SF, it's pretty cool to see a fighting game with a projectile focus. I wish more games had some sort of graze mechanic, it's just really fun and satisfying.

JulianImp

So, I was checking out a Sofmap store's used PC games section after I spotted a cheap copy of Higanbana part 2 (which I was missing), and I stumbled across several Touhou games. Imperishable Night was just ¥360, and after checking back to this thread and reading it was considered one of the better games, I decided to pick it up.

Needless to say, I'm a complete newbie to the bullet hell genre, so I ended up wasting a bomb while figuring out the controls, and even ended up dying to the first boss... but I guess I'll get better over time. The few music tracks I got to hear were pretty good, and I liked getting murdered by regular enemies when I dared to check Lunatic out.

Still, it was kind of a pain that the video settings didn't allow for multiple screen resolutions, since my friend's laptop has a 4K monitor that makes the game either look awfully tiny when windowed, or has some weird issue where it doesn't even render properly in fullscreen mode.

demidar

Fairy wars is my favored of the alternate shooters, but I'm flat out terrible at Aya's games so that may be why. Unique system that a toned down version could totally work as Cirno's shot type if she ever made it into a mainline. Pretty great music in it too.

Haven't played IaMP in a long while so if you want to steamroll someone.. Never played online but I'm sure the netcode runs better than our Aussie internet (Cmon NBN)

Yeah I also need to give Fairy Wars a good try. It's gimmick is a very nice change of pace to narrowly dodging everything.

NBN is so bad now. Stupid Liberals.

So I was just testing it, and yep the opening non-spells are different per character. Not only that, but the order of the Prismrivers in the first spellcard is different per character too. It's annoying since I'm actually really bad at remembering which sister is which (like in general, not just in-game. They're next to the PC98 characters to me in terms of "consistently struggling to remember these character's names")

Desire Drive is a pretty good track yeah. But I actually like Let's All Live In A Lovely Cemetery over it in terms of Stage themes). I actually really enjoy Ten Desire's tracks, personally. Maybe they're not the best the series has to offer, but I find it rather fun to listen to when I'm either playing or listening to it on my phone (I just wouldn't, say, pick Shanghai Teahouse, Capital City of Flowers in the Sky or Faith is for the Transient People

My personal gripes with the soundtrack are just that I actively dislike tracks from TD. (for reference, from 6 to 11, there are tracks that I don't love but still like, while 12 has some rather boring tracks. 13, however is the one post-98, mainline game with tracks I just dislike).

True Administrator is incredibly bland for a final boss theme (at least the TD rendition; the HM rendition is bloody good), I dislike Kyoko's themes, the EX Stage theme and I just dislike Yuyuko's TD Boss theme. I also really dislike how bland some of the Trance remixes are (Yoshika is the only one with a Trance theme that sounds different. It also sounds great if you play it together with the original theme).

(I wasn't expecting to type up this many paragraphs on the topic...)

As for TH7.5, I actually played (and finished all of it) earlier this year. I wasn't bothered by the lack of grabs, though to be fair I don't instinctively go for them in fighting games (I'm used to playing against the AI, and I'm also used to AI always teching my grabs every time lol, which is why I tend not to use grabs)

Grazing is a pretty satisfying mechanic though, yeah. As somebody that prefers to play zoning in most fighting games, like Sagat in SF, it's pretty cool to see a fighting game with a projectile focus. I wish more games had some sort of graze mechanic, it's just really fun and satisfying.

For the longest time, I thought the Prismrivers were called the Primsrivers.

Yeah, I would agree that Ten Desire's OST is a bit on the weaker side. I'm just listening to True Administrator, it seems to have a single well composed section but basically filler in every other part of the track, which is pretty disappointing. The only other track I would call great in the game would be Futatsuiwa from Sado. Seems like all the other themes lack an identifying character. But yeah a lot of the fighting game remixes make some tracks a lot better, such as Youmu's Stage Theme (not her boss theme because her Hiroari Shoots a Strange Bird is bad :p) in IaMP, Beloved Tomboyish Girl and Love-Coloured Master Spark in Hisoutensoku and Candid Friend (Nitori's Boss Theme) from Hopeless Masquerade. Zun's great at composition, his execution not so much, but it lays a good foundation for actual/dedicated musicians/remixers.

I only got serious about fighting games (as serious as a dead online population will allow anyway) with Skullgirls, moved on to USF4 then SFV, so I'm used to grabs being a way to counter blocking. Without that, I feel a bit lost as to my options when dealing with a guarding enemy, and Guard Breaks (down down A or B) just feels bad to input to me. Only recourse is to just try and pummel them with projectiles or melee attacks to deplete their spirit gauge, and I don't think the game has overheads.

shockdude

So, I was checking out a Sofmap store's used PC games section after I spotted a cheap copy of Higanbana part 2 (which I was missing), and I stumbled across several Touhou games. Imperishable Night was just ¥360, and after checking back to this thread and reading it was considered one of the better games, I decided to pick it up.

Needless to say, I'm a complete newbie to the bullet hell genre, so I ended up wasting a bomb while figuring out the controls, and even ended up dying to the first boss... but I guess I'll get better over time. The few music tracks I got to hear were pretty good, and I liked getting murdered by regular enemies when I dared to check Lunatic out.

Still, it was kind of a pain that the video settings didn't allow for multiple screen resolutions, since my friend's laptop has a 4K monitor that makes the game either look awfully tiny when windowed, or has some weird issue where it doesn't even render properly in fullscreen mode.
Nice.
Most Touhou games have a fixed 640x480 resolution (14 and 15 are 1280x960), but they should still work in fullscreen regardless of monitor resolution.
Probably need to set up the DX8 to DX9 converter. The VSyncPatch may also help, plus it reduces input lag. On mobile so can't directly link to them, but they're on touhouwiki.net and shouldn't be too hard to Google and find.

Edit: Added links.

Evilisk

So, somehow I managed to accidentally Normal 1cc Mountain of Faith

I say accidentally because I was just randomly testing out Reimu-C (since I had never tried that shottype before) and uh yeah, somehow I ended up 1cc'ing the game in one go. I'm still not sure how that happened (I'm going to go through the replay myself, since I was half-asleep when I cleared the game) but I remember bombing a LOT. As in, after Stage 3, I was bombing basically every spellcard. I also amazingly had 4+ lives by the time I reached Kanako (though I still almost choked towards the end and lost 3 lives to the last spellcard alone)

(I don't have a screenshot because I completely forgot about taking one at the time)

I've also gotten rather close to clearing Imperishable Night
Not sure if it'd be considered cheating (my sore hand doesn't agree) but I've been using Malice Cannon and have been consistently getting to Stage 6B. The only things that are getting in the way are my unfamiliarity with Stage 6 (since I can't practice it without actually clearing the game first) and also Reisen and Reimu are resource vaccuums. I just can't get to Stage 6 with more than 2 lives :/

As for Perfect Cherry Blossom... I think I'm giving up on that for now. I'm not getting anywhere with that game. I actually started doing IN and MoF because I was getting nowhere in PCB. I might get back to that after I've cleared 8 and also 10.5 but yeah

demidar

I think using Malice Cannon is a whole lot more forgivable than using MarisaB's 3-power bug in MoF.

I've actually been messing around with uploading replays of my 1-CCs (and testing how feasible it is with my godawful 100 kB/s upload speed. After re-encoding a capture of a 25 minute run to something less big, it takes me an hour and a half to upload something of barely decent quality.

Though I've already been slacking on that >_>

Anyway, here's one of my first 1-CCs, done in EoSD
and I cut out the first half because I couldn't bother waiting to see if the video would come out intact.
. I'm no score god though, so don't expect too much lol

Evilisk

And I Normal cleared Touhou 8
using Malice Cannon of course

Much like Touhou 10, a LOT of bombing was involved, though the high damage also helped a lot (especially in the last spellcard; I don't think I could have lasted any longer if I didn't finish her off when I did). While I don't feel all that great about using that shottype, I have to admit I have no motivation at all to do it with any of the other characters (Scarlet Team shottype feels way too slow and unfun, and while I would love to do a run with the Ghost Team, Marisa is just such a brutal fight to go through.)

After playing 10 and 8, yeah I think I'll lay off 7 for a while. Just because it's going to be hard to go back to 7's speed (and non max power POC abilities) while 10 and 8 are still fresh in my mind.

Gonna try and clear Touhou 10.5 with all of the characters (and am going to attempt to Lunatic 1cc that with at least 1 character, like I did in 7.5 with Patchouli). I do have a few impressions after trying out 10.5 quickly. I've already had some of these in my actual first impressions post, but I've got some new impressions now that I've had 7.5 as a point of comparison.

+I really like the air-dash options in this

+I like how the spirit/gauge system works in this game

+The dial a combo button is an okay addition. I'm not a fan of it, but I'll admit it'll be helpful in getting through Story a lot quicker.

+Aya is still super duper fun to play. Patchouli in 7.5 was mostly okay, still unsure how I feel about her moveset changes in 10.5

-Somehow the system for Story Mode is way worse than in 7.5 (seriously? 7.5 had 2/3 lives with 2 rounds each. This only gives me 2 rounds before it's gameover...)

-I dislike that they removed the distance changing normals. It obviously takes some getting used to but it makes way more sense. Some of the veterans also just immediately feel like they have neutered movesets (Sakuya and Reimu in particular)

-I still don't like the spellcard system or weather at all. Actually I really dislike the spellcard system here compared to 7.5.

-I really, really dislike that some characters (Iku and Tenshi in particular) will continue using their spellcards during that grace period after you lose a round. It's a lot worse in Tenshi's case due to that homing beam. I'm going to look into it more, and see if there's a way to escape it, but it seems like there's nothing to do if I get caught in it at all :/

Evilisk

Touhou Hisouten ~ Scarlet Weather Rhapsody

(I know this picture has Sanae but it's close enough. Also, the 7.5 impressions picture I used also had a character that shouldn’t have been there...)

I’ve completed all the characters on Normal.

It turns out that unlike IaMP, I don’t need to get up to the final boss with no continues used. Because of that change, I definitely take back what I said (I’m definitely more okay with fewer rounds but continues being allowed)

I don't really know what to say. I did not expect to have this done so quickly since I thought it would have 7.5's Story system. I still have yet to go for any Lunatic 1cc's. I might go with Marisa since she seems to be the most simple to use. Iku ended up being surprisingly fun as well.

Anyway my general thoughts:

I have a mixed opinion on the gameplay system/mechanics. I liked how some elements were revamped (the spirit gauge system) and I liked a few newer additions (the air dashing system) but I disliked other parts (notably, the spellcard and weather systems). I have the same conclusion as I had for 7.5. 10.5 is helluva lot more accessible, for sure, but 7.5 just feels more rewarding and satisfying to learn

Much like the gameplay system, the story mode is a lot more casual friendly this time. In terms of story... I have no idea how it stacks up to 7.5. I honestly just didn't pay much attention because of how much effort the Story Mode took to complete in 7.5 (I ended up just skipping through text because I was getting annoyed at having to retry characters). I can't even make comparisons to 13.5 and 14.5 because I played through those untranslated.

The only comment is that there's a surprising amount of nothing story modes. Remilia's was pretty amusing at least, and I appreciated Suika's story being very very short. The rest however were pretty annoying (mainly because they were still 7 Stages long. More characters should have had shortened stories, like Suika, in my opinion). Oh and also, Tenshi's story and the climax for Yukari's story were pretty okay.

For the music, I think it was a bit better than 7.5. I liked the remixes a lot better (particularly Casket of Star). In terms of original music, I'm not sure how to feel. I liked what I heard at first but I have to admit I have really crappy memory if a game remixes the same track in same-y ways. It doesn't help that the later story modes ended up favoring character remixes instead. Overall, I might need to give it another listen. I still think it was better than 7.5 which had original pieces only in-between fights.

In terms of characters, I liked the roster immediately over 7.5's. I did not like some of the veterans' smaller and cut down movesets (Suika, Yukari and Patchouli just don't feel right after playing 7.5) but the newer additions balanced that out for me. Not everyone was a winner (I definitely didn't like how Komachi's movese) but Reisen, Iku and Aya are just really, really fun additions. (I still don't like Reisen as a character though)

I think that's all I have to say about the game. I think I'll try and clear at least one character on Lunatic difficulty, and maybe give Arcade mode a spin. When I'm done with that, I think I'll take a break on playing Touhou for a while (I'm gonna be busy with the GAF Mafia game that's taking place. I also have to finish NaNoWriMo as well...)

Top Bottom